More vintage designs...

Adam Harrison

Oct 14, 2008, 5:43:03 PM10/14/08
to seattle-...@googlegroups.com
Pre-Wright Bros. flying machines:

http://www.flyingmachines.org/

-Adam

J. Wolf, Gent.

Oct 14, 2008, 7:13:44 PM10/14/08
to Seattle Steamrats
Bah, Just a passing fad. A mere trick of the opitcal nerve.
Zeppelins - that is the future of flight.

Still a cool site to check out.

Molly Friedrich

Oct 14, 2008, 6:47:37 PM10/14/08
to seattle-...@googlegroups.com
noice link! :)

--
Molly Friedrich
World Builder and Dimensional Explorer at your service!

gallery:
http://porkshanks.deviantart.com/gallery/

Shiesspulver und Kaffee

Oct 15, 2008, 9:24:15 AM10/15/08
to Seattle Steamrats
Ah, but the Besler Steamplane has some fine possibilities!

http://www.airbornegrafix.com/HistoricAircraft/ThingsWings/Besler.htm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nw6NFmcnW-8

No, certainly not as stately, nor elegant as the Zeppelin, but a fine
bit of engineering nonetheless.

Marshal

On Oct 14, 3:47 pm, "Molly Friedrich" <liquidsolut...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> noice link! :)

J. Wolf, Gent.

Oct 15, 2008, 1:26:03 PM10/15/08
to Seattle Steamrats
That's pretty cool. A working steamplane. That begs the question can
you steampunk a steamplane?

On Oct 15, 6:24 am, Shiesspulver und Kaffee
<monastery_of_f...@ruined.net> wrote:
> Ah, but the Besler Steamplane has some fine possibilities!
>
> http://www.airbornegrafix.com/HistoricAircraft/ThingsWings/Besler.htmhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nw6NFmcnW-8

Marshal Hunter

Oct 15, 2008, 4:22:11 PM10/15/08
to seattle-...@googlegroups.com
Hmm... yes.

I did notice a lack of steam escaping from various unnecessary ports and
tubes, and not even a single whirlygig anywhere to be seen that was there
"just because". I suppose a propeller beanie on the pilot would suffice
for our purposes...

Also, the lack of a wooden Indian in the passenger's seat for ballast
leads me to believe there was a very serious lack of engineering
forethought involved in the design of this craft.

And, I'm certain I do not need to point out the lack of standard safety
features on this craft to my esteemed colleagues. No steam whistle
available for the pilot to warn oncoming flocks of geese, unwary
pedestrians and the odd herd of cows who have moved onto the landing strip
and no signal flags for directional indication and communication.
Overall, I think this lack of excess and dismal failure to provide the
most rudimentary safety features is what probably ensured the overall
commercial failure of this craft.

Commodore Cogsworthy
aka Marshal Hunter