April meeting

George Oliver

Apr 5, 2010, 10:43:43 PM4/5/10
to seatt...@googlegroups.com
What do you all think, does the 10th or the 17th sound good? Spring
Thing opens the weekend of the 10th, so maybe the 17th so we could play
and/or talk about some of the entries? Also on the table is PAX Seattle,
and I'd like to hear some more impressions of the Seattle IGDA meet-up
from Ron. Other stuff?

Also let's post the day to RAIF and so on.

best, GO

Paul J. Furio

Apr 6, 2010, 10:47:37 AM4/6/10
to Seattle IF
The 10th I'll be taking a motorcycle safety class with my wife. Well,
scooter safety, but that just sounds dorky.

The 17th is better, and I'll know by then whether or not I'm still
employed. ;)

-paul

Ron Newcomb

Apr 6, 2010, 2:54:53 PM4/6/10
to Seattle IF
Oh I also promised to have a chunk of that scene-centric I7 tutorial
put together. I just want to tuck away a few more corners on it, then
I'll be more than ready for some outside input on it. I think I've
already decided not to try to introduce the whole language. Maybe
it's more of a food-for-thought extended article.

I'm fine with either weekend.

-R

Adrienne Mueller

Apr 6, 2010, 3:23:04 PM4/6/10
to seatt...@googlegroups.com
17th works well for us as far as I know.

Looking forward to it,

Adrienne

Cathy Saxton

Apr 6, 2010, 5:13:10 PM4/6/10
to seatt...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone.

I'm new to the group, so maybe a brief intro is a good idea... I like
playing IF, but don't have the creativity to author games. I'm a
programmer and like to work on robotics projects. My first IF was
(Colossal Cave) Adventure on an Apple II+ around 1980. Several years
ago, I was excited to discover that IF is still alive and well, and
I've played more recent games as time allows.

I look forward to meeting some of you on the 17th. I'll be at a
robotics meeting in the morning, getting to the IF meeting around 1 or
so. See you then!

Cathy

George Oliver

Apr 7, 2010, 12:10:49 AM4/7/10
to seatt...@googlegroups.com
On 4/6/2010 11:54 AM, Ron Newcomb wrote:
> Oh I also promised to have a chunk of that scene-centric I7 tutorial
> put together. I just want to tuck away a few more corners on it, then
> I'll be more than ready for some outside input on it.

Sounds great Ron.

And thanks for the note Cathy, looking forward to seeing you there as
well. In light of the PAX news about Action Castle, it'd be interesting
to program a robot to act as the narrator of an IF...

best, GO

Ron Newcomb

Apr 10, 2010, 11:04:16 PM4/10/10
to Seattle IF
Welcome to our group, Cathy. Nice to pre-meet you.

All others: same if-time, same if-channel? 3:30pm @ Adrienne's
building on the 17th? George, you wanna post to RAIF?

-Ron

Emily Short

Apr 13, 2010, 5:27:02 PM4/13/10
to Seattle IF
It looks like I can make this meeting as well. If anyone is
interested, I can bring by samples of the cards the Boston IF group
made up introducing IF for PAX East and/or share impressions about how
the planning went, what worked, etc.

Only question: where *is* Adrienne's building? I've poked back through
the archives and gotten the impression it's at UW somewhere, but I
don't seem to have found the exact directions.

Adrienne Mueller

Apr 14, 2010, 1:43:04 AM4/14/10
to seatt...@googlegroups.com
Great to see so many new people on the list! Looking forward to
meeting on Saturday. Good to hear that you can come, Emily - the PAX
info sounds interesting.

Unfortunately the I-Wing of the Health Sciences Building is not easy to find.

Google Maps will direct you to the hospital on the East side of the
complex (http://bit.ly/9IgAIM). The I wing Rotunda, which is where we
meet, is actually where 'Health Sciences Bldg F' is marked on the map.

This is a superior map:
http://depts.washington.edu/deptgh/docs/healthsciencesmap.pdf
but doesn't show the buses. I Court, on the West side, is where we meet.

The building is accessible from Pacific Street (the main thoroughfare)
or Columbia Road (off which there is free parking available on
weekends, for interested parties). The north entrance is set back from
the street a way, and the south one is up a wide flight of stairs.

My mobile number is 206 547 5760, so everyone should feel free to call
me if they get lost.

Both entrances require card access, but there will be people inside
looking out if you're about on time. We may have moved to a smaller
room later on, so just wave or call.

--Adrienne

Also, just to cause trouble, we could meet at a more easily accessible
coffee shop or something this time - the projector probably won't be
as useful this week as others. Trabant is also in the U District, on
45th, two blocks off of the Burke Museum parking lot. It's not
especially loud, but not especially private. And they have great Chai.

George Oliver

Apr 14, 2010, 1:53:35 AM4/14/10
to seatt...@googlegroups.com
On 4/13/2010 10:43 PM, Adrienne Mueller wrote:
> Also, just to cause trouble, we could meet at a more easily accessible coffee shop or something this time - the projector probably won't be
> as useful this week as others. Trabant is also in the U District, on
> 45th, two blocks off of the Burke Museum parking lot. It's not
> especially loud, but not especially private. And they have great Chai.

There have been a few times where the projector was handy for putting a
reference up that we were all talking about. Also, I'm a fan of the
Half-Life-esque feeling I get in the Health building. But I'm amenable
either way.

Ron Newcomb

Apr 14, 2010, 1:34:33 PM4/14/10
to Seattle IF

On Apr 13, 2:27 pm, Emily Short <emsh...@mindspring.com> wrote:
> If anyone is
> interested, I can bring by samples of the cards the Boston IF group
> made up introducing IF for PAX East

Ooo, yes please!

Jason Wodicka

Apr 14, 2010, 3:42:01 PM4/14/10
to Seattle IF
Hi there!

I'm also new to the group, and I figured I should also de-lurk online
before randomly crashing the in-person meeting.

I've been playing IF since I was a kid in the '80s, working through
Zork with my dad. In college, I did a some work studying the then-in-
development Facade, and spent a whole bunch of time playing through
the IF archive "doing research."

These days, I'm looking at ways to mitigate the combinatorial problem
in authoring of CYOA-like games, and working with my spouse, Sylvia,
on a flash-based engine to test our theories and make games.

I pay the bills by writing code, live in Seattle, and am active in the
science fiction and board-gaming communities around here.

Nice to meet you all!

- Jason

Ron Newcomb

Apr 14, 2010, 6:39:24 PM4/14/10
to Seattle IF
Nice to meet you too, Jason. See you soon, and Sylvia too if she
attends.
-Ron

Wei-ju Wu

Apr 15, 2010, 1:03:11 PM4/15/10
to Seattle IF
Hi everyone,

I just learned about the meeting and this group from RAIF and wanted
to get in touch with the IF community in Seattle.
I came in touch with IF through writing Z-code interpreters and I
wanted to learn more about Interactive Fiction from a different angle.

Hope to see you all on Saturday,

Wei-ju

George Oliver

Apr 15, 2010, 8:24:51 PM4/15/10
to seatt...@googlegroups.com
I think you're behind the ZMPP, right? Welcome to the group, and looking
forward to meeting you.

best, George

Paul J. Furio

Apr 16, 2010, 1:59:19 AM4/16/10
to Seattle IF
I'm going to try to be there again.

I'd like to add one item to the agenda (what's on it already? Ron's
tutorial?) for my own edification: Someone please describe and define
CYOA, give me opinions on it, whether it's good or bad, and examples
of non-CYOA or how to create adventure games that are not CYOA.

I only ask this because some commentary on my SpeedIF game was that it
was CYOA, and I want to understand that comment.

In other news, still employed! Also, emailed Meretzsky and got a
response from him, but did not manage to get his signature on my copy
of LGOP while I was down in Mountain View. More news at the meetup.

See you all on Saturday!

-paul

Cathy Saxton

Apr 17, 2010, 11:25:39 AM4/17/10
to seatt...@googlegroups.com
So, just to confirm... we're meeting at the HSB I-Wing at 3:30, right?

Cathy

Adrienne Mueller

Apr 17, 2010, 12:09:50 PM4/17/10
to seatt...@googlegroups.com