SD Rando logo/jersey?

Wayne J

Jun 7, 2011, 12:42:25 PM6/7/11
to sdrando
A couple months ago there were a few messages re a logo and jersey.
Has anyone created a San Diego Randonneurs logo? Or even better,
jersey?

--Wayne

kellyjay

Jun 7, 2011, 8:03:15 PM6/7/11
to sdrando
Hi Wayne...
I've use a logo on all my "Rando Rides..." videos for a few years now.
It's in the opening and the closing credits along with contact info,
etc.

I've also used it in the SDRando business cards.
I keep them in my front baggette, so I can hand them out while riding!
They feature a picture of Andi Ramer & Jaime Gurrola out in the
desert!
I give them out all the time.

It isn't great or anything & I didn't enter a contest to create
something.

I've always believed in promoting the rando sport online and locally.
I don't know what anyone else is doing, but I feel OK about by
efforts.

keep a clear head & remain calm,
kellyjay

Balvindar Singh

Jun 7, 2011, 9:37:10 PM6/7/11
to Wayne J, sdrando
If you want, we can get the person who does the UCSD and Swami's kits to do them. Just asked.

BS

Osvaldo

Jun 8, 2011, 9:35:52 AM6/8/11
to sdrando
I have a motto: America's finest.

Wayne J

Jun 8, 2011, 10:37:08 AM6/8/11
to sdrando

OK, thanks for the replies. My motivation here is to get some jerseys
printed by early August so I can take them to PBP (I'm qualified and
going, woo hoo!) to wear and trade. So unless there is widespread
objection, I'm going to play the role of "pushy dude who makes this
happen." Please post any logo, artwork or motto suggestions and
comments by Monday, June 13. I will go through the old and new posts
and try to glean a consensus "winner".

BS, can you forward contact info for the person who did those UCSD and
Swami's kits? I'm also looking at the semi-custom program from
Voler. Fast turnaround and no minimum number of pieces.

Thanks very much, and please be gentle with your flames

Wayne "Pushy" J

robertkat

Jun 11, 2011, 7:55:39 PM6/11/11
to sdrando
Wayne, that sounds like a good idea. Personally I've had the thought
floating in my head for some time. I would prefer to go with a nice
wool or wool blend rather than synthetic. The Seattle and SF guys are
a good example. I ride with North County Cycle Club and we used Voler
for our new kit. It's really nice stuff and you can set up an online
ordering process, but they most likely won't be ready for PBP. If you
do want to set something up, I'd be glad to help. I think Oregon
Cyclewear is a pretty good way to go.

http://www.oregoncyclewear.com/woolcyclingjerseys.html

-Robert (healing nicely) #5639

Osvaldo

Jun 12, 2011, 5:30:46 PM6/12/11
to sdrando
Wayne,

Sign me up for a small and a medium shirt. Thanks,

Osvaldo

Mike Berry

Jun 12, 2011, 8:13:11 PM6/12/11
to sdrando
I like the idea of wool jerseys for several reasons. Granted wool is
not my material of choice when circumnavigating the Salton Sea in
August or climbing Inkopah in the summer, but
the majority of our brevets are scheduled in the cooler part of the
year from Jan to April. I think most of us will agree that the cold is
far more of an issue that time of the year than heat.

With a wool jersey the designs are very limited and consequently
design decisions are limited to jersey color, the color of the
horizontal panel across the front of the jersey and the
type of script and color to use for "San Diego Randonneurs"

Mike

Esteban

Jun 13, 2011, 5:58:09 AM6/13/11
to sdrando
Folks - sorry I'm late to this. I think if someone wants a jersey for
PBP, its best to order from Voler, as they're really fast (or so I've
heard).

For the long term, or at least for next season, I'd love to get an
order of Woolistic lightweight s/s jerseys that look good (nothing
garish), simple, classic. I do rides with SFR quite often (my in-laws
are up there), and the Woolistic jersey is a big hit among the
riders. The key is to go light with the pockets, as the lightweight
jersey will stretch if you put too much stuff in there. The Velo Cult
jerseys are also from Woolistic, and they're fantastic. Cool in warm
weather, comfortable in the cold, all-nature, blah blah -- wool is a
winner fir everything but up Kitchen Creek in August.

I'd love to help design and help organize an order with Woolistic when
I'm back from Paris this summer. We could have a nice group order in
time for Rainbow 200 in Jan!

Here's a photo of me in Paris in my SFR Woolistic jersey;

http://www.flickr.com/photos/25671211@N02/5828006788/in/photostream

I say the SDR Woolistic jersey could be 1) three colors: Navy, white,
and light blue; 2) Navy, white, grey; 3) solid navy blue. I always
think blue with San Diego - the ocean, the Padres, Chargers, the sky,
the surf. Navy on the bottom would be the ocean, with a sky blue on
top or marine-layer grey. They grey might look really nice. I can
work on mock-ups. "SAN DIEGO RANDONNEURS" across the chest in simple
letters (like Seattle). Maybe a simple graphic patch on one of the
sleeves (Spanish galleon, Pt. Loma Lighthouse, seagull). I could
probably get Anthony at Velo Cult to help - he's quite the graphic
designer.

georgev...@yahoo.com

Jun 13, 2011, 8:46:39 AM6/13/11
to Esteban, san diego Randanuers
All,

I strongly recommend the Woolistc jerseys! I have used Woolistc (base layers, jerseys arm warmers) for many years and the quality is exceptional! The owner is also a personal friend of mine. If you decide to go with Woolistc please let me know.

Cheers,
George
Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

Wayne J

Jun 13, 2011, 9:29:51 AM6/13/11
to sdrando
I agree that wool jerseys are great, and woolistic stuff is great.
I'm afraid the turnaround time will not work PBP "trade jerseys".
George, would you mind asking the turnaround time? A 2012 wool jersey
would be terrific if that doesn't work for this year.

I've been working on a graphic and will post something tonight (the
graphic would be for a synthetic jersey probably from Voler).

george

Jun 13, 2011, 9:34:24 AM6/13/11
to Wayne J, san diego Randanuers
Email request sent. I will follow up with a phone call in a day. He travels A LOT but calls Switzerland his home.
Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile because you probably couldnt wait 'til I got home

Sandy Aniya

Jun 13, 2011, 10:34:28 AM6/13/11
to san diego Randanuers
After doing my share of riding in cold rain this year, I am ready for a wool jersey.  I would be interested in a SD Rando wool jersey for the up coming winter.

-Sandy

George Vargas

Jun 13, 2011, 10:53:51 AM6/13/11
to Sandy Aniya, san diego Randanuers
All,

In the many years I have ridden the SD brevets it seems either the 200km or the 300km will have rainy weather.  Some of you that rode the 2010 300km remember how bitterly cold it was up at Dudley's Bakery in Santa Ysabel (turnaround).  All I wore that day was a thin long sleeve Woolistic baselayer and a long sleeve Woolistic jersey.  Half of the riders DNF'd because they were too cold and wet.  Some riders DNF'd because they just weren't mentally tough enough to continue, some choose to be prudent and not risk their safety and health and who knows what other reasons people had for quitting on a brevet -- with a very generous 20 hour time limit.  I contend if more of those riders would have been properly clothed with layers of wool more of them would have finished the 300km.

Here is the link to my report from the 2010 300km brevet which also includes the 2006 300km which was also very wet and cold - including hail.  PLEASE CONSIDER RIDING WOOL IN FUTURE!

On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 7:34 AM, Sandy Aniya <sandy...@gmail.com> wrote:
After doing my share of riding in cold rain this year, I am ready for a wool jersey.  I would be interested in a SD Rando wool jersey for the up coming winter.

-Sandy

"Are you satisfied...with the life you're living"  Bob Marley Exodus.

Save 10% off your next Infinit Nutrition order use "Vireo" http://www.infinitnutrition.us/

Want to stay up to date on my doings subscribe to my blog.  www.epictrain.wordpress.com

George Vargas

Jun 13, 2011, 11:18:01 AM6/13/11
to rob_...@earthlink.net, sdrando
Robert,

You are correct and it's all documented on my blog and the link is below.  Those that have met me in person know that I don't carry much body fat.  Additionally, on a cold and wet day you expend much more calories just to keep you body at it's happy core temperature.  On that day, I was riding hard, low on calories, cold AND wet.

I thoroughly enjoyed the bite to eat and the thawing I had in the McD's :D  If I had to do it all again I would definitely wear one more base layer but everything else was perfect!!  When you consider what I was wearing (two very thin wool layers) compared to the ridiculous amount of synthetic stuff the other riders that DNF'd were wearing I can very easily overestimate the effectiveness of wool!  If you read my report I was off the bike for 21 total minutes only 6 minutes of that time was at McD's which included ordering my food, eating and thawing out.  Sorry to be so precise but my cycling computers make a slave out of me ;)

Cheers,
george

On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 8:05 AM, Robert Leone <rob_...@earthlink.net> wrote:
Dear George:

I seem to recall you're writing about having to thaw out with a McDonalds bathroom hand dryer. Wool is great stuff -- just ask anyone wearing a short sleeve wool jersey during a typical "June Gloom" day in San Diego, like today. But don't overestimate it's effectiveness.

Robert "Still think in retrospect I should have popped out a windbreaker for that downhill back from Alpine to go over the long sleeve wool jersey I was wearing back in November" Leone

On 6/13/2011 6:53 AM, George Vargas wrote:
[...]

After doing my share of riding in cold rain this year, I am ready for a wool jerWoosey.  I would be interested in a SD Rando wool jersey for the up coming winter.

-Sandy

"Are you satisfied...with the life you're living"  Bob Marley Exodus.

Save 10% off your next Infinit Nutrition order use "Vireo" http://www.infinitnutrition.us/

Want to stay up to date on my doings subscribe to my blog.  www.epictrain.wordpress.com

Esteban

Jun 13, 2011, 11:23:31 AM6/13/11
to sdrando
For this year's wet and cold Corona 300K I had a Smart Wool t-shirt
under a long-sleeve Woolistic jersey. Got a chill by the time I made
it to the final control, but it really worked well! That being said,
my lightweight Woolistic short sleeve is all I wear in the summer.

Woolistic may be able to provide for an order of a mix of ss/ls
jerseys, as we did with SFR. If that was a possibility, I'd surely
get one of each!

On Jun 13, 5:18 pm, George Vargas <vireo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Robert,
>
> You are correct and it's all documented on my blog and the link is below.
>  Those that have met me in person know that I don't carry much body fat.
>  Additionally, on a cold and wet day you expend much more calories just to
> keep you body at it's happy core temperature.  On that day, I was riding
> hard, low on calories, cold AND wet.
>
> I thoroughly enjoyed the bite to eat and the thawing I had in the McD's :D
>  If I had to do it all again I would definitely wear one more base layer but
> everything else was perfect!!  When you consider what I was wearing (two
> very thin wool layers) compared to the ridiculous amount of synthetic stuff
> the other riders that DNF'd were wearing I can very easily overestimate the
> effectiveness of wool!  If you read my report I was off the bike for 21
> total minutes only 6 minutes of that time was at McD's which included
> ordering my food, eating and thawing out.  Sorry to be so precise but my
> cycling computers make a slave out of me ;)
>
> http://epictrain.wordpress.com/2010/02/14/02610-san-diego-300km-ride-...
>
> Cheers,
> george
> >http://epictrain.wordpress.com/2010/02/14/02610-san-diego-300km-ride-...

George Vargas

Jun 13, 2011, 11:41:23 AM6/13/11
to Esteban, sdrando
I just heard back from Woolistic.  He says he can turn the order around in 45 days!

Esteban

Jun 13, 2011, 12:28:58 PM6/13/11
to sdrando
I'll take an XL short sleeve and if we can, an XL long sleeve!

What do you guys think of design? navy-white-sky blue, navy-white-
grey, all navy, anything else? I'd defer to something classic that
will be a signature design for decades to come. Does anyone have a
link where one can mock-up a jersey? Graphic patch for the sleeve?
Stripes at the ss sleeve?

Wayne J

Jun 14, 2011, 12:22:36 AM6/14/11
to sdrando

I prepared a graphic for possible use on a jersey. If I can do this
right, the image is here: http://www.pbase.com/image/135567441/original

The lettering might say

San Diego
Randonneurs

on the left side of the tower, and

2011

on the right side of the tower.

It would use a rough type face to more or less fit the style of the
graphic.

Let me know what you think. I want to finalize this in the next day
or two.

By the way, the graphic was derived from a half dollar coin minted in
1935, so its in the public domain. Shouldn't be copyright issues.

This could be printed as a semi-custom jersey by Voler and be ready in
about three weeks.

Wayne

dstr...@cox.net

Jun 14, 2011, 10:03:12 AM6/14/11
to Wayne J, sdrando
Nice idea, I like it.

Dennis
---- Wayne J <wjac...@omm.com> wrote:

=============

The lettering might say

San Diego
Randonneurs

2011

Wayne

Petit Braquet

Jun 14, 2011, 10:45:59 AM6/14/11
to sdrando
Hello Randos.

Regarding a jersey my criterias are as follows:

1). Simple design: One can easily identify a San Diego Rando at a
distance on the road.

2). Highly visible on the road: No dark/gray colors.

3). Very good info about sizing: I am 5'7" and about 150lbs and the
last jersey I got made by Voler which fit me was an XL (!?). Please
note that, depending on the material, the whole thing could shrink
after a few washes.

4). Material: It would seem weird that, in San Diego, we might think
about a wool jersey but it might be the right choice for
randonneuring. Also, brevets are not limited to San Diego for the SD
Randos. One might want to ride a brevet in Seattle or Portland and
expands one's horizon.

(Pls note that I changed my nickname/handle to Petit Braquet since, at
my age, there is not a lot of turbo left in the frog. Petit braquet
means small gear ratio in French. I am also glad to report that I am
not at the granny gear stage yet.)

Guy Laronche

mi...@slipperytext.net

Jun 14, 2011, 1:41:46 PM6/14/11
to sdrando
The graphic is too phallic. Makes me think of Anthony Weiner, may he
Rehabilitate in Peace.

If we go with wool, does the jersey have to have a graphic?
Personally, I like the simplicity of two or three colors with bold
lettering. The Seattle Randonneurs' jersey is a classic and very
visible.

How about orange? Other than the fact that we would be mistaken for
CalTrans workers or Guantanamo Bay escapees, it's "out there" and
different. Orange and blue, orange and black...

Milly

Russell East

Jun 14, 2011, 2:05:37 PM6/14/11
to sdrando
In my line of work I find no one ever agrees about "user interface" design...    :-)

My 2d worth, I live outside San Diego county, and whenever I visit, I think more of the beach and lines of pelicans, rather than landmarks.  Kind of like these:

-- Russell

George Ballin

Jun 14, 2011, 2:40:59 PM6/14/11
to sdr...@googlegroups.com
I second that ...

Mike Berry

Jun 14, 2011, 2:51:41 PM6/14/11
to sdrando
And wouldn't the graphic add to the cost? I vote for the simple jersey
with
the San Diego Randonneurs script.

On Jun 14, 10:41 am, mi...@slipperytext.net wrote:
> The graphic is too phallic.  Makes me think of Anthony Weiner, may he
> Rehabilitate in Peace.
>
> If we go with wool, does the jersey have to have a graphic?
> Personally, I like the simplicity of two or three colors with bold
> lettering.  The Seattle Randonneurs' jersey is a classic and very
> visible.
>
> How about orange?  Other than the fact that we would be mistaken for
> CalTrans workers or Guantanamo Bay escapees, it's "out there" and
> different. Orange and blue, orange and black...
>
> Milly
>
> >http://groups.google.com/group/sdrando?hl=en.- Hide quoted text -

Wayne J

Jun 14, 2011, 5:34:48 PM6/14/11
to sdrando
Have to admit I didn't expect the phallus comparison. My subconscious
must have taken control. If someone can post an alternate graphic
that's not copyrighted(not just an idea or a photo), that would be
helpful.

The logistics of a synthetic jersey are pretty easy to deal with,
which is why I'm trying to nudge us in that direction for a Summer,
2011 jersey. It would be a semi-custom job on which a graphic (which
could include lettering) would be printed. As a semi-custom, it would
have no minimum number of peices and a turnaround time of two weeks
from Voler. Cost ranges from $80 to $60, depending on how many are
ordered (16 more more gets the lowest pricing). For a synthetic
jersey, it doesn't matter what the actual graphic is -- a picture or
letters or both is going to cost the same.

Having said that, and setting aside my pride of authorship, I'd rather
have a classy wool jersey than a synthetic that calls for Freudian
interpretation. George, can you give me contact info for the
woolistic guy? I'd like to discuss the order process (minimum number
of pieces, price, how to order?)

If wool does not work in the short term because of logistics, I will
go forward with synthetic. (I said I was going to be pushy and make
this happen.) But that's not meant to preclude also making a wool
jersey. If it takes too long to get wool for PBP, we ought to go
forward anyhow. I will buy one.

Thanks very much

Wayne

Esteban

Jun 14, 2011, 5:50:17 PM6/14/11
to sdrando
Seems like there are two different discussions here - Voler and
Woolistic,

I'm most interested in SDR having a "trademark" look. So if we can
put something classic and "San Diego" together, then we could set a
template for what it should look like.

I'd like to stay with blue - navy or sky blue (royal blue is too much
Dodgers!). But that's just me. Molteni Orange and navy could work.
Another option is do do yellow with brown letters - very J. Serra/
vintage Padres, no? I like blue better, but if folks really want to
be seen...

Anyway, does anyone have photoshop skills and post a few mock-ups?

Here are three well-known woolistic jerseys:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/archivalclothing/5828496285/in/contacts/

Esteban
> > >http://groups.google.com/group/sdrando?hl=en.-Hide quoted text -

Wayne J

Jun 14, 2011, 8:20:41 PM6/14/11
to sdrando

I'm trading messages with the woolistic guy. 25 piece minimum. We
can mix and match short and long sleeve, women and men. I don't know
the price yet.

We need to see if there is enough interest to meet the 25 piece
minimum. Can folks please post whether they would order and how
many. Obviously not binding since we don't ye tknow the cost.

This is for the simple, classic wool jersey with embroidery of club
name only, no logo.

--Wayne

Tina Johnson

Jun 14, 2011, 9:57:11 PM6/14/11
to Wayne J, sdrando
As long as it's pg13 I'd be interested in a long sleeve and short sleeve

Thanks
Tina Johnson
Typo's courtesy of my cell phone.

Jun 14, 2011, 11:22:01 PM6/14/11
to Wayne J, sdrando
I'd order two.

Kevin

My randonneuring blog.
Goal: Texas Rando Stampede 1200k in May then PBP 2011 1200k in August.

mi...@slipperytext.net

Jun 14, 2011, 11:29:35 PM6/14/11
to sdrando
Is this the sizing chart? http://www.vintagevelos.com/content/6-sizing

Btw, are we doing men's sizing ONLY or are we including an option for women?

Milly

Ed Shepherd

Jun 14, 2011, 11:26:20 PM6/14/11
to sdr...@googlegroups.com, Jacobsen Wayne
I would order one short sleeve to start.

Ed Shepherd

Jun 14, 2011, 11:46:35 PM6/14/11
to sdrando
Ooops! Too much pinot noir compromised my reading!

I would order a l sleeve for women and a l sleeve for men for a total
of 2 jerseys.

Milly

Sandy Aniya

Jun 15, 2011, 12:05:25 AM6/15/11
to sdr...@googlegroups.com
I will order one short sleeve wool jersey.
-Sandy

Bob Coleman

Jun 15, 2011, 1:01:27 AM6/15/11
to Wayne J, sdrando
Wayne,
     Price matters, but I think I'd purchase a short-sleeve jersey.

Bob C.

Jun 15, 2011, 1:04:39 AM6/15/11
to Wayne J, sdrando
Wayne,
I will definitely order a long-sleeve jersey provided only that it is a bright color (why in the world are some biking jerseys black?).
Will

Jun 15, 2011, 7:41:20 AM6/15/11
to sdrando
Without counting me twice.... I'd likely order (1) ss and (1) long
sleeve (XL Woolistc).

I'm not too concerned about the brightness of my jersey, but maybe
some use of Molteni Orange could still be classic, an expression of
our sunny weather (sans marine layer), and appease the bright-jersey
factions?

What do you folks think of simple three color Navy-white- Molteni
orange? Or one-color Molteni Orange with navy lettering and navy
stripes at the sleeve?

On Jun 15, 7:04 am, spinningw...@att.net wrote:
> Wayne,
> I will definitely order a long-sleeve jersey provided only that it is a bright color (why in the world are some biking jerseys black?).
> Will

Wayne J

Jun 15, 2011, 9:10:29 AM6/15/11
to sdrando
Hi folks,

It looks like there is enough interest to go forward with this. I got
a couple replies direct to me and with the interest posted here we are
pretty close to the minimum order. If we keep flogging this we ought
to be able to get there.

Unless there is an immediate cyber-revolt, I'm going to go forward
with navy bottom, white middle panel (for the logo) and moltini orange
on top. Lettering on front only.

I'll get back with order info

Wayne

Mike Berry

Jun 15, 2011, 9:27:58 AM6/15/11
to sdrando
I would order one short and one long sleeve jersey.

Mike

Esteban

Jun 15, 2011, 10:49:16 AM6/15/11
to sdrando
This sounds absolutely fantastic - timeless, classic - and a great
graphic identity (dare I say "colourway") for SDR.

I hope many of us can grab an example - and there might be folks from
other clubs interested, too. With SFR, the "rule" was that you should
have at least ridden one of their events within the last year or so.
I don't think we'll need to worry about this for this initial order.

This is so great!

Esteban

Osvaldo

Jun 15, 2011, 1:58:09 PM6/15/11
to sdrando
Great. I want 2, maybe 4 if I convince my SO.

Osvaldo

futch

Jun 15, 2011, 4:17:47 PM6/15/11
to sdrando
I would order a L short sleeve jersey!

Michael_S

Jun 19, 2011, 1:36:43 PM6/19/11
to sdrando
Hi, I just joined this Group, part time resident of Carlsbad now
( moving down in fall). Plan on doing a few Brevets with all of you
this fall/winter. I'd like to get in on order and get an XL SS
Woolistic jersey if possible.( I heard about this from Esteban whom I
know.)

~mike

Wayne J

Jun 19, 2011, 7:36:27 PM6/19/11
to sdrando
All:

I started a new thread with order information, including a rendering
of the final design.

Wayne