Automatic CW key-speed for transceivers that do not have TCI protocol ?

Christian Barthod

May 20, 2022, 5:17:44 AM5/20/22
to SDC Software Defined Connectors
Hi Yuri,  have you considered (For next SDC releases) the automatic configuration of the "CW key-speed" in accordance with the Spot delected for transceivers that do not have a TCI protocol ?

73s Christian F8GHE

UT4LW Yuri Pavlov

May 20, 2022, 2:47:21 PM5/20/22
to SDC Software Defined Connectors
The "Auto CW Macros Speed" function controls the speed for macros only. At the same time, the speed of the CW key remains unchanged. This feature is built into the TCI protocol. I don't think it will work for other transceivers. I'll see if it can be done through the contest program, for example, for N1MM. Now I can't promise anything.
пятница, 20 мая 2022 г. в 12:17:44 UTC+3, cbar...@gmail.com:

Christian Barthod

May 21, 2022, 3:25:48 PM5/21/22
to SDC Software Defined Connectors
Hi Yuri, Thanks for your reply. Yes I understand that the best way to set the " Auto CW speed" in accordance with the spot is with macro because I seems that there are just some last generation of transceivers witch are able to support this setting thru CAT commands.

After a first check, 5mcontest and Wintest have commands capable of setting the speed to a specific value. Not sure that N1MM is able to do the same, it seems only possible to increment and decrement the CW speed with it.

73s Christian F8GHE

Christian Barthod

May 25, 2022, 5:45:18 AM5/25/22
to SDC Software Defined Connectors
Hi everyone,
Who can advise about a good (the best ;-)!)  contest software with a good SDC integration ?
N1MM seems the winner (Powerful, versatile, good support and lot of updates. user defined contest profile, network I/f,.......,waterfall,.........), can you confirm ?
73s Christian F8GHE

Behemer

May 25, 2022, 4:24:52 PM5/25/22
to SDC Software Defined Connectors
Its gotta be 5MContest!!
73 Ray G3XLG/G3G

Behemer

May 25, 2022, 4:27:57 PM5/25/22
to SDC Software Defined Connectors
However, I forgot to say it is Russian software and maybe therefore not in support of the Ukraine war
73 Ray G3XLG

Christian Barthod

May 26, 2022, 4:50:13 AM5/26/22
to SDC Software Defined Connectors
OK thanks Ray, but  is it possible to define your own contest (UDC=UserDefinedContest) with 5Mcontest as it seems possible with N1MM ?

I started to test Wintest, N1MM and 5Mcontest but I find that the configuration of the spots-filtering with these software is not easy and intuitive.
I don't have a lot of experience in contesting but I think that to have a much more flexible spot filtering system between the Spotter and the Contest-software could be useful. Automated assistance for spot selection would make it much more efficient (Example : On Azimuth to minimize antenna rotations, on signal strength to ensure fast contact, on speed depending on the operator, on points or multi to optimize the contest result, ......) . it would be a bit like the filtering of calls in an IT helpdesk which are classified by order and color according to criteria (Criticality, duration, ...).

This could be done on a maximum of criteria useful during a contest :
  • For RTTY and CW contest, some of these criteria are provided directly by the Spotter : <SPOTTER> <FREQ> <DX CALLSIGN> <MODE> <SNR dB> <SPEED WPM> <KEYWORD : CQ, DE, TEST, BEACON,..> <TIMEZ>
  • Others need to be compute in accordance or not with the ADIF format : <COUNTRY> <BAND> <DISTANCE> <AZIMUT> <ZONE> <REGION> <POINTS> <MULTI><?....>

This could be done by a software between SDC and the Contest-software or why not an additional SDC module ;-) ; It could be a plus for SDC ?
Do you think that my point of view makes sense or not ?

73 Christian F8GHE

Behemer

May 26, 2022, 1:37:26 PM5/26/22
to SDC Software Defined Connectors
Christian
Yes, you can define your own contest using MINITEST within 5MC. You can also configure spots in SDC (mode) and in 5MC for azimuth, continent and so on. It is quite a complex program with very many excellent features but does take a bit of setting up to take full benefit of the features. Practice makes perfect.  It also integrates very well with SDC (& Expert Electronics rids) using TCI.

Wintest is a good program but rather old fashioned now? One of its main benefits is to seamlessly link team stations operating within a private network in the larger contests eg. IARU championships. I think it is now being superceded by DXLog which is very similar to Wintest. N1MM is great too but does also operate using COM ports dns/rts protocols etc
73 Ray G3XLG