Retrospective session after planning session.

andrej...@gmail.com

Mar 17, 2011, 5:00:17 AM3/17/11
to Scrum Alliance - transforming the world of work.
Have you ever tried to do retrospectives after planning session? If
yes, what were the reasons?
Do you think it makes sense?

Jeff Lindsey

Mar 17, 2011, 11:11:38 AM3/17/11
to Scrum Alliance - transforming the world of work.
Are you asking about doing a retrospective specifically for the
planning meeting, or just doing them "out of order" (since it's not
uncommon for the results of a retro to influence planning, requiring
it to happen first)?

On Mar 17, 5:00 am, "andrej.ruc...@gmail.com"

Gustavo Cebrian Garcia

Mar 17, 2011, 11:23:49 AM3/17/11
to scruma...@googlegroups.com, Jeff Lindsey
I do restrospectives before doing the planning, even I do the demo before ( all in three )

Gustavo.

Erin Beierwaltes

Mar 17, 2011, 9:21:10 AM3/17/11
to scruma...@googlegroups.com
No. We use the outcomes of the retrospective during planning. I would like we were taking quite a risk of going through planning and then creating action items that could take some overhead. Seems backwards to me.

Rafael Sabbagh

Mar 17, 2011, 2:16:51 PM3/17/11
to scruma...@googlegroups.com
I totally agree with Erin.

Sprint planning should take into consideration and take advantage of the results of the retrospective.

Best regards,
   Rafael Sabbagh

andrej...@gmail.com

Mar 20, 2011, 3:47:01 PM3/20/11
to Scrum Alliance - transforming the world of work.
I totally agree with all your arguments, but it seems that i cannot
convince my team at the moment. And was curious if there are someone
else doing like this.
But i hope i will succeed to change their opinion in the future.

On Mar 17, 8:16 pm, Rafael Sabbagh <sabb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I totally agree with Erin.
>
> Sprint planning should take into consideration and take advantage of the
> results of the retrospective.
>
> Best regards,
>    Rafael Sabbagh
>

> On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 10:21, Erin Beierwaltes <e...@notebox.com> wrote:
> > No. We use the outcomes of the retrospective during planning. I would like
> > we were taking quite a risk of going through planning and then creating
> > action items that could take some overhead. Seems backwards to me.
>
> > On Mar 17, 2011, at 3:00 AM, "andrej.ruc...@gmail.com" <

Erin Beierwaltes

Mar 20, 2011, 4:50:52 PM3/20/11
to scruma...@googlegroups.com, Scrum Alliance - transforming the world of work.
Andrej,

Out of curiosity, it seems your team is driving this? What is their argument and reasoning? Are you a new scrum master to this team?

Thanks

Erin

Bachan Anand

Mar 20, 2011, 7:23:35 PM3/20/11
to scruma...@googlegroups.com, andrej...@gmail.com
Hi Andrej,
Curious to know why that was considered as an option ( retro after planning ) over the other options available , before planning , no retro .

-Bachan

andrej...@gmail.com

Mar 21, 2011, 12:39:07 PM3/21/11
to Scrum Alliance - transforming the world of work.
Next day after sprint is finished release package goes to production
late in the evening . The planning meeting is in the morning.
The argument to have a retro next day is that in case something is
wrong during/after the release team have a chance to discuss it during
the retro and take action. And during Day1 you can think that your
sprint is ok, but the day after release you might have different
opinion due to failed release or smth.

Day 1: Sprint Review
Day 2: Sprint Planning (morning)
Release of prev. sprint results (evening)
Day 3: Sprint Retrospective

So, on one hand it makes sense, on the other not :)

On Mar 21, 1:23 am, Bachan Anand <bachan.an...@conscires.com> wrote:
> Hi Andrej,
> Curious to know why that was considered as an option ( retro after planning
> ) over the other options available , before planning , no retro .
>
> -Bachan
>
> On Sun, Mar 20, 2011 at 12:47 PM, andrej.ruc...@gmail.com <

Erin Beierwaltes

Mar 21, 2011, 5:46:18 PM3/21/11
to scruma...@googlegroups.com
That explanation helps some. We never retro on specific sprint stories or
items. We retro on how we did the work or how we could have run the process
a little better or what working agreements do we need to help us improve.
It's not to take action on stuff we missed. It doesn't mean this other
discussion isn't valuable, but it should not replace a retro about how well
your scrum implementation is going. Maybe this other meeting needs to be
called something else, because I don't think it is a traditional retro.

Erin

Jeff Lindsey

Mar 23, 2011, 11:12:16 AM3/23/11
to Scrum Alliance - transforming the world of work.
I would suggest applying a method like the "5 Whys" to this issue, it
might uncover some deeper problems (TBH it sounds like the team has
stopped their evaluation at a symptom).

On Mar 21, 12:39 pm, "andrej.ruc...@gmail.com"

andrej...@gmail.com

Mar 23, 2011, 6:25:48 PM3/23/11
to Scrum Alliance - transforming the world of work.
Jeff, thanx for a hint. I will definitely try this out and i also
agree that there is something else that is wrong.
i am new in this team, so i need some time to understand the real
source of the problem.

p.s. scrum is some simple framework, with not so simple adoption.

JB

Mar 25, 2011, 11:57:13 AM3/25/11
to Scrum Alliance - transforming the world of work.
First of all, scrum is flexible and team driven, so respect what the
team thinks.

However, you have sprint planning, then results then retrospective.
However, it seems to me that the results and retrospective should be
taken into consideration in the next sprint plan.

Our group does sprint planning and sprint results all in the same
meeting, results first, and then planning.

andrej...@gmail.com

Mar 26, 2011, 2:07:47 PM3/26/11
to Scrum Alliance - transforming the world of work.
JB, i respect them. But i want to understand the real reason of this
change, because that single argument for me personally is not
enough :)
But we will see how things evolve in future...

Thnx all for the comments.

imho, this topic is closed.

Yves Hanoulle

Mar 26, 2011, 3:10:05 PM3/26/11
to scruma...@googlegroups.com, andrej...@gmail.com

JB, i respect them. But i want to understand the real reason of this
change, because that single argument for me personally is not
enough :)

trust is also about giving the team the space to make mistakes
(without saying "see I told ya")

On Mar 25, 5:57 pm, JB <jimbe...@gmail.com> wrote:
> First of all, scrum is flexible and team driven, so respect what the
> team thinks.
>
> However, you have sprint planning, then results then retrospective.
> However, it seems to me that the results and retrospective should be
> taken into consideration in the next sprint plan.
>
> Our group does sprint planning and sprint results all in the same
> meeting, results first, and then planning.

Yves Hanoulle
Phone 00 32 467 43 38 32

Skype YvesHanoulle
Blog: www.Hanoulle.be