Any research around team spaces?

ErikG

Oct 19, 2010, 11:59:23 AM10/19/10
to Scrum Alliance - transforming the world of work.
I'm looking for data to guide green field creation of work spaces for
Scrum teams. Any pointers? Thanks!

Mark Levison

Oct 19, 2010, 12:14:04 PM10/19/10
to scrumalliance
I've got an article coming for InfoQ.com - I would guess its at least 6 weeks out.

There was also a thread on this mailing list a few months ago, which I send you directly.

Cheers
Mark Levison

On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 11:59 AM, ErikG <steep...@gmail.com> wrote:
I'm looking for data to guide green field creation of work spaces for
Scrum teams. Any pointers?  Thanks!

Jan Beaver

Oct 19, 2010, 12:21:51 PM10/19/10
to scruma...@googlegroups.com
Also take a look at Chapter 3 in Alistair Cockburn's classic Agile Software Development (2002). There's a lot of timeless information there.

Cheers,
Jan Beaver, PhD, CSP

David J Bland

Oct 19, 2010, 12:20:38 PM10/19/10
to Scrum Alliance - transforming the world of work.
At a recent DC APLN session we had a speaker, Richard Cheung, give a
presentation on Agile Office Spaces.

I am unable to find his slides anywhere, but you could reach out to
him directly over at http://www.onemoreagileblog.com/

-David

On Oct 19, 12:14 pm, Mark Levison <m...@mlevison.com> wrote:
> I've got an article coming for InfoQ.com - I would guess its at least 6
> weeks out.
>
> There was also a thread on this mailing list a few months ago, which I send
> you directly.
>
> Cheers
> Mark Levison
>
> On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 11:59 AM, ErikG <steeple...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I'm looking for data to guide green field creation of work spaces for
> > Scrum teams. Any pointers?  Thanks!
>
> > --
> > .

Mark Levison

Oct 19, 2010, 12:56:53 PM10/19/10
to scrumalliance
Wow google groups is far worse that Yahoo at helping you find links, try: http://groups.google.com/group/scrumalliance/browse_thread/thread/4e4f7a7ea1fa4517/f70389b8dce2024e?hl=en&lnk=gst&q=chatz#f70389b8dce2024e

and if the link doesn't work search for a person who uses the nickname: Chatz

Good luck and have fun
Mark

On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 11:59 AM, ErikG <steep...@gmail.com> wrote:
I'm looking for data to guide green field creation of work spaces for
Scrum teams. Any pointers?  Thanks!

George Dinwiddie

Oct 19, 2010, 2:41:19 PM10/19/10
to scruma...@googlegroups.com
Erik,

On 10/19/10 11:59 AM, ErikG wrote:
> I'm looking for data to guide green field creation of work spaces for
> Scrum teams. Any pointers? Thanks!

See http://xp123.com/xplor/room-gallery/index.shtml and
http://www.scissor.com/resources/teamroom/ Also grep the web for the
"Caves and Commons" pattern.

- George

--

* Come to Agile Tour DC, October 22. http://agiledc.org/ *
Email me for a discount code.

Mark Levison

Oct 19, 2010, 2:47:45 PM10/19/10
to scrumalliance
One last thought take a leaf from Stewart Brand and his book "How Buildings Learn"
- fix the things that a building forces on you: walls, windows
- build in flexibility/options to reconfigure on the rest i.e. an environment where walls, desks can be moved later.

That way whatever space you create is just one of an ongoing series of experiments. Inspect and Adapt.

Finally human beings thrive on daylight (which is why I'm so happy in a basement office)

Cheers
Mark

George Dinwiddie

Oct 19, 2010, 3:11:55 PM10/19/10
to scruma...@googlegroups.com
On 10/19/10 2:47 PM, Mark Levison wrote:
> One last thought take a leaf from Stewart Brand and his book "How
> Buildings Learn"

Christopher Alexander's "A Pattern Language" might be useful, too.

Mark Levison

Oct 19, 2010, 3:14:49 PM10/19/10
to scrumalliance
On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 3:11 PM, George Dinwiddie <li...@idiacomputing.com> wrote:
On 10/19/10 2:47 PM, Mark Levison wrote:
One last thought take a leaf from Stewart Brand and his book "How
Buildings Learn"

Christopher Alexander's "A Pattern Language" might be useful, too.

Yes and its heavy enough to brandish as a weapon if people don't like the space created.

I assume that you will be involving the participants in designing this space?

Cheers
Mark

David J Bland

Oct 19, 2010, 3:23:24 PM10/19/10
to Scrum Alliance - transforming the world of work.
I also highly recommend joining the Coworking Google Group for
inspiration with regards to collaborative spaces.

-David

On Oct 19, 3:14 pm, Mark Levison <m...@mlevison.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 3:11 PM, George Dinwiddie
> <li...@idiacomputing.com>wrote:
>
> > On 10/19/10 2:47 PM, Mark Levison wrote:
>
> >> One last thought take a leaf from Stewart Brand and his book "How
> >> Buildings Learn"
>
> > Christopher Alexander's "A Pattern Language" might be useful, too.
>
> Yes and its heavy enough to brandish as a weapon if people don't like the
> space created.
>
> I assume that you will be involving the participants in designing this
> space?
>
> Cheers
> Mark
>    *Mark Levison* | Agile Pain Relief
> Consulting<http://agilepainrelief.com/>| Agile
> Editor @ InfoQ <http://www.infoq.com/about.jsp>
> Blog <http://www.notesfromatooluser.com/> |
> Twitter<http://twitter.com/mlevison>| Office: (613) 862-2538
> Recent Entries: Self Inflicted Agile
> Injuries<http://www.notesfromatooluser.com/2009/12/self-inflicted-agile-injuri...>,
> Why use an Agile
> Coach<http://www.notesfromatooluser.com/2009/11/why-use-an-agile-coach.html>

Xavier Quesada Allue

Oct 19, 2010, 3:58:22 PM10/19/10
to scruma...@googlegroups.com
Hi Erik,

If it's totally green field, I have one advice (which I hope I will be able to blog about with pictures one day):

The ideal agile office has modular magnetic whiteboard walls. Meaning: all walls are moveable, magnetic and whiteboard.

Regards,
Xavier

On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 5:59 PM, ErikG <steep...@gmail.com> wrote:
I'm looking for data to guide green field creation of work spaces for
Scrum teams. Any pointers?  Thanks!

Xavier Quesada Allue
Certified Scrum Coach
Visual Management Blog: http://www.xqa.com.ar/visualmanagement

Yves Hanoulle

Oct 20, 2010, 3:31:18 AM10/20/10
to scruma...@googlegroups.com
also check out:

Rachel Davies also did a great session about this at XPDay Londen a few years ago

What I would do now is to have a session with the team to ask them to design their worst environment
(giving them lot's of props to really create it.)
Do this with as much people in the company that are involved in groups of 3 or 4 (mix people so they are in a group with different roles.)
Then let each group talk about their design.

After that let them design their best environment.
And let them share their design again.

2010/10/19 Xavier Quesada Allue <xav...@xqa.com.ar>

--
Yves Hanoulle
Agile Coach EMEA

FR  +33 6 03 40 38 00
BEL +32 9 277 91 99 (Arrives on France Cellphone)

Blog: www.Hanoulle.be
Agile Games: http://groups.google.com/group/agilegames/
See you at:

Agile 2010 www.agile2010.org What I learned from burning down my parents house.
WebExpo  (23,25 September 2010, Prague) http://webexpo.net/
Agile Eastern Europe (8-10 October 2010, Kiev) http://www.agileee.org/
XPDay Benelux (25-26 November 2010) www.xpday.be

Margaret

Oct 20, 2010, 12:08:24 PM10/20/10
to Scrum Alliance - transforming the world of work.

ErikG

Oct 24, 2010, 2:52:17 PM10/24/10
to Scrum Alliance - transforming the world of work.
Thanks for the great resources, everyone. Seems predominantly
anecdotal, but very inspiring.

I'm just coming off a missed opportunity to create truly great spaces
as we move most of our Engineering org to a new building and I want to
be prepared to take full advantage of the next building move, which is
on the horizon for the branch office (where I'm located) as we
continue to hire like gangbusters.

Thanks again!

Erik

On Oct 20, 9:08 am, Margaret <mota...@efi.com> wrote:
> Here are a few more links
>
> http://agilefocus.com/2010/02/15/9-signs-of-bad-team-spaces
> See page 21http://www.scrumsense.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/DoBetterScrum-v2...
> Notice the layouthttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1RqhRcPJZ0
> accessories!http://www.infoq.com/articles/agile-team-room-wishlistwww.scrumalliance.org/resource_download/41http://www.infoq.com/news/collaborative-team-space-studyhttp://agilecoach.typepad.com/agile-coaching/2010/05/building-an-agil...http://blog.mountaingoatsoftware.com/the-ideal-agile-workspacehttp://blog.agilegamedevelopment.com/2008_11_01_archive.html
>
> Margaret

Michael James

Oct 24, 2010, 6:31:14 PM10/24/10
to scruma...@googlegroups.com

Kane Mar

Oct 24, 2010, 8:19:17 PM10/24/10
to scruma...@googlegroups.com
Hi MJ,

On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 8:31 AM, Michael James <m...@collab.net> wrote:
Here's one I'm not sure was mentioned in the thread already:
http://www.crew.umich.edu/Technical%20reports/Teasley_Covi_Krishnan_Olson_radical_collocation_12_20_00.pdf

Very interesting paper. Unlike much of the other material presented in this thread which is anecdotal (and there's nothing wrong with that, IMHO) this paper is academically rigorous which some prefer. The results are interesting due to the large improvement in productivity reported ...

"In simple terms, the pilot teams produced double the number of function points per staff month from the previous baseline for the company. The time to market (cycle time) dropped to almost 1/3 as compared to the company baseline, and even lower than that produced by the industry as a whole."

In my experience, many academic papers err on the side of caution and hence are very conservative. To read such dramatic results leads me to believe that the authors found a significant difference when the teams were collocated. This is nothing new to the agile community but it's nice to have this re-affirmed by other communities.

Thanks for bring this paper to our attention.
--
All the best,
Kane Mar

ErikG

Oct 25, 2010, 11:52:51 PM10/25/10
to Scrum Alliance - transforming the world of work.
This is good reading, thanks. It provides some of the scientific
foundation I expect I will need to move certain key stakeholders when
the time comes.

Erik