Using Scriblio For Easy Post Navigation

Corey D

Feb 1, 2010, 8:26:43 AM2/1/10
to Scriblio
Hello,
My apologies if this question was already asked. I'm very new to
Scriblio, Wordpress and web development in general, so a lot of the
questions I read through were over my head. If someone could help me
answer the following, I'd be forever grateful:

1. It seems like it would be a great filtering tool for any site with
a lot of index-able post information. Can Scriblio be used for easy
Wordpress post navigation, rather than just cataloging books?

2. In the Appearance -> Plugins section of Wordpress, it seems like
you can include custom facets within the navigation bar. However, I
can't find the relating facets in the post page within WP. I see a lot
of fields that aren't mentioned in the Appearance section ("cm", "cy",
"sm", "s", etc.), but not the Scrib Facets 7, 8, 9, etc. custom
facets. How do you use the custom ones? Or am I wrong about that
functionality?

3. I would like users to be able to filter multiple facets at one
time, but also multiple parts of the same facet (if that makes sense).
For example, I need users to be able to filter my posts by Categories
A, D, and F, Author, Date, etc. all at the same time. Right now, I
don't see a way to include multiple categories. Is there a way to do
that?

Any help or advice anyone could offer would be really appreciated.

Thanks,
Corey

Casey Bisson

Feb 17, 2010, 12:07:54 AM2/17/10
to scri...@googlegroups.com

Corey, I agree. It's my contention that any large blog site needs the search and browsing features that Scrib provides.

On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 8:26 AM, Corey D <corey....@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello,
My apologies if this question was already asked. I'm very new to
Scriblio, Wordpress and web development in general, so a lot of the
questions I read through were over my head. If someone could help me
answer the following, I'd be forever grateful:

1. It seems like it would be a great filtering tool for any site with
a lot of index-able post information. Can Scriblio be used for easy
Wordpress post navigation, rather than just cataloging books?

Yes. Any data in the taxonomy tables will work, including posts and tags.

2. In the Appearance -> Plugins section of Wordpress, it seems like
you can include custom facets within the navigation bar. However, I
can't find the relating facets in the post page within WP. I see a lot
of fields that aren't mentioned in the Appearance section ("cm", "cy",
"sm", "s", etc.), but not the Scrib Facets 7, 8, 9, etc. custom
facets. How do you use the custom ones? Or am I wrong about that
functionality?

Each facet widget can display one or more facets based on the taxonomy name. You probably have 'category' and 'post_tag' , the other taxonomies you're seeing are for library records.

This isn't obvious for your application. I'm working on the 2.9 version now and am removing much of the library-specific stuff. Hopefully that will make it easier going forward.

3. I would like users to be able to filter multiple facets at one
time, but also multiple parts of the same facet (if that makes sense).
For example, I need users to be able to filter my posts by Categories
A, D, and F, Author, Date, etc. all at the same time. Right now, I
don't see a way to include multiple categories. Is there a way to do
that?

Some might call it a bug, but there's no way to do OR queries. All of the terms are ANDed together for the result. The built in search and browse navigation is progressive, but one term at a time. You can, however, easily construct links that point to a search of multiple criteria in one click. For instance, here's all the photos of the Colby-Sawyer dorms of the 1930s in their archives:

Any help or advice anyone could offer would be really appreciated.

Thanks,
Corey

Please write back to say more about the use that you're thinking of,

--Casey