Scriblio 2.5.1 alpha (early development release)

Casey Bisson

Jun 7, 2008, 8:53:53 PM6/7/08
to scri...@googlegroups.com

I recently posted a significant update of Scriblio to SVN trunk. The
code is alpha quality and not ready for production, but it includes a
number of enhancements, some incremental, some more significant.

More immediately, however, this marks a change in how the SVN
repository is organized. The code in /trunk is now in some stage of
development, stable releases can be found in /tags.

Development:
http://svn.scriblio.net/plugin/trunk

Stable:
http://svn.scriblio.net/plugin/tags/2.3v6
http://about.scriblio.net/downloads/scriblio_plugin.tar.gz

So, what's in the development version?

The main database query code has been rewritten for better performance
(though support for Sphinx has not yet been significantly tested)

The taxonomy registration is now more efficient, and makes way for us
to get pretty permalinks for queries like site.org/browse/subject/
history rather than /browse/?subj=history as it is now. The logic for
creating links hasn't been updated to create links in that form, and
the admin panel doesn't yet let you configure it, but did I say this
was alpha-quality?

It supports/requires bSuite 4 (bSuite 4 is another project of mine,
and it's where I implement code that can be used more broadly). bSuite
4 is a significant rewrite on its own, and brings with it some
significant new features: http://maisonbisson.com/blog/post/12142/bsuite-4-public-beta

One of the features that Scriblio uses in bSuite is the "related
items" functionality. And one of the most exciting _potential_ new
features going forward may be offering related titles based on both
metadata (as it currently does) and user activity. bSuite tracks
various items viewed in a session (sessions expire after 30 minutes of
inactivity) and in my testing, the relationships shown from the data
are very interesting.

A very significant change for those running current versions is how
links in a post's content are generated. The new version takes
advantage of WordPress 2.5+'s new "shortcode" feature. This adds
additional functionality and makes Scriblio content more portable, but
it also means that current users will need to re-harvest their
collections to upgrade.

But current users will want to re-harvest their collections anyway, at
least III users will, to take advantage of K.T. Lam's (of HKUST)
improved III harvester. The resulting records are cleaner, have more
metadata, and offer more facets. Thank you K. T. Lam and HKUST!

Also related to record harvesting, if a bookjacket is not available
for a record, it uses an API to generate one using the title and
author information from the record. These "fakejackets" are stored on
your Scriblio server and require that the wp-content/uploads folder be
writable, but it also means that we'll no longer suffer the
placeholder bookjacets.

I think the table creation problem is fixed. I think.

In the land of small changes, you'll notice that RSS feeds for catalog
content now have the correct author information set, rather than
simply "cataloger."

The list of things that don't yet work include the MARC harvester (and
all the other harvesters besides the III one) and probably a few other
things.

I don't recommend this code for most people, but if you want to
explore, take a look at it. Tell us about what you find on the list.

--Casey

zebil

Jun 11, 2008, 4:40:26 AM6/11/08
to Scriblio
What about utf8 support? As you know if a marc record includes non-
english character (etc. Turkish character) Scriblio doesn't harvest
it.