TECH: New HMD for Sega Genesis due out next month

John Breakwell

Aug 4, 1993, 12:50:42 PM8/4/93

VIRTU-L

From: Randy Shedden

I was talking to a salesclerk at Software Etc at Bellevue Square last
night and got the following scoop.

VictorMaxx, a VR helmet for the Sega Genesis is due to ship August 20.
Software Etc. price will be $219.95.

I think the clerk was confusing this with the "Virtua Sega" VR Helmet
due to ship around Christmas. He said that the manufacturer is Sega.
When I asked about the Christmas release, he said that they moved the
release date forward (???).

He also said that it would not work with the SNES (Originally, it was
supposed to work with both). In addition, the VictorMaxx HMD will
ship with two games.

This is an excerpt from Michael Joly's report from the CES

|Designed to be plugged into the Nintendo Super NES and Sega Genesis
|game platforms is the new Stuntmaster from VictorMaxx of Northbrook,
|Illinois. Priced at $250, it is scheduled to ship in the fall of '93
|with a $350 IBM compatible version to ship in the first quarter of
|'94.

|Along with Sega, VictorMaxx hopes to garner a substantial share of the
|4 billion dollar home gaming market. In their brochure aimed at
|retailer buyers, VictorMaxx cites a recent report by high tech market
|forcaster John Latta that suggests a $450 unit price consumer VR
|product could garner a 25% share of the video game market.
|
|The device implements lateral head tracking only with a unique
|electro-mechanical linkage that clips on to the users clothing at the
|shoulder.
|
|The monoscopic, color LCD display appeared to subtend at an angle of
|about 60 degrees. The image was somewhat brighter than the Sega HMD
|demonstration.

Differences between the Stuntmaster HMD and the Virtua Sega HMD:

Stuntmaster Virtua Sega
VictorMaxx manufacturer Sega manufacturer

monoscopic biscopic

360 degree yaw head tracking 360 degree yaw, 70 degree pitch head tracking

around $220 around $200

two Genesis game one Genesis game

brighter display dimmer display