The State of Space in 2010

Black Ronin

Feb 4, 2003, 10:57:06 PM2/4/03
Kind of curious what people think the US space program will look like at the
end of this decade given the Columbia tragedy.

What types of projects are given priority / what means of manned
transportation are in use / is the space shuttle still in use / what
happened to ISS / US partnerships with Russia, China?

Alan Erskine

Feb 5, 2003, 6:26:12 AM2/5/03
About the same as it did on Friday US time, with addition of OSP I hope.

"Black Ronin" <black...@cinci.rr.com> wrote in message

Paul F. Dietz

Feb 5, 2003, 8:59:32 AM2/5/03

"Black Ronin" <black...@cinci.rr.com> wrote in message
>What types of projects are given priority / what means of manned
>transportation are in use / is the space shuttle still in use / what
>happened to ISS / US partnerships with Russia, China?

I'll paint a dark scenario: In 2010, economic stagnation, increasing
deficits, and an unsustainable trade imbalance have caused the dollar
to collapse against other currencies. Oil hits $100/barrel,
unemployment exceeds 20%, and the space program is a memory.

Paul

cekelly

Feb 5, 2003, 12:42:40 PM2/5/03
Paul F. Dietz wrote:

Yuck. Sounds like Russia in the early nineties. Speaking of which,
I expect this will be a real windfall for them. now that there is
such immediate need for their vehicles to support Ronnie's ISS.

More employment there, rather than in The Axis of Evil may be a
good thing.

--
Gruebait

perl -e '$_="\nprxryyl\@qiby\.pbz\n";tr/a-z/n-za-m/;print;'

Kodos the Executioner

Feb 5, 2003, 11:14:47 PM2/5/03
Thus spake cekelly <cek...@dvol.com> in message

> I expect this will be a real windfall for them. now that there is
> such immediate need for their vehicles to support Ronnie's ISS.

Uh, correction. The space station that old Ron envisioned (Freedom)
was more than just a glorified zero-gee lab. It was going to be a
waystation for HEO/LaGrange/moon-bound OMVs and OTVs, and a
refurbishment 'drydock' for same. *THAT* would be a hell of a lot
better than the setup we have now; ie, locked into LEO.

This orbiting political stepchild called ISS is Billy-boy's idea. Or
Danny-boy's. But wait! Al invented everything, didn't he? Must be his!

Cheers,

Kodos the Executioner
..warm up the plasma weapons..

Greg D. Moore (Strider)

Feb 6, 2003, 12:51:34 AM2/6/03

"Kodos the Executioner" <kodosthee...@my-deja.com> wrote in message

> Thus spake cekelly <cek...@dvol.com> in message
> > I expect this will be a real windfall for them. now that there is
> > such immediate need for their vehicles to support Ronnie's ISS.
>
> Uh, correction. The space station that old Ron envisioned (Freedom)
> was more than just a glorified zero-gee lab. It was going to be a
> waystation for HEO/LaGrange/moon-bound OMVs and OTVs, and a
> refurbishment 'drydock' for same. *THAT* would be a hell of a lot
> better than the setup we have now; ie, locked into LEO.

Eh, to be honest I'm not sure Reagan imagined much other than some "glorious
ideal of space flight"

It was the engineers at NASA that imagined all that.