NASA HQ buyout??????

Michael J. Gallagher

Dec 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/11/96

So I was surfing through NASA's web site to find the Discovery Home Page to
bookmark it into PNet's Netscape browser (found it, incidentally), and I stumbled
on a couple of pages about the "buyout." What is this all about? If they
mentioned it in AWST, I missed it. I really would appreciate it if one of you
guys could satisfy my curiosity.

--
"Everything is under control" -- Wallace

Michael J. Gallagher
mik...@prodigy.net

DPHUNTSMAN

Dec 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/12/96

> "buyout." What is this all about? If they
mentioned it in AWST, I missed it.

You're not reading the right things to keep up with NASA personnel issues.
Add Keith Cowing's RIF WATCH to your bookmark list. It always
has the latest internal NASA memoranda; and has followed the NASA-wide
(not just HQ) buyout in detail.
"The democracy of Taiwan is special. It is a germ of democracy that will fool China's immune system if China insists on taking us on. David will once again win the battle over Goliath." -- Ming-jing Hwang, Taipei

Keith L. Cowing

Dec 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/12/96

In article <32AF78...@Prodigy.Net>, "Michael J. Gallagher"
<MIK...@Prodigy.Net> wrote:

> So I was surfing through NASA's web site to find the Discovery Home Page to
> bookmark it into PNet's Netscape browser (found it, incidentally), and I
stumbled
> on a couple of pages about the "buyout." What is this all about? If they
> mentioned it in AWST, I missed it. I really would appreciate it if one
of you
> guys could satisfy my curiosity.

Go to NASA RIF Watch at http://www.reston.com/rif/watch.html

Jim Kingdon

Dec 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/12/96

> I stumbled on a couple of pages about the "buyout." What is this all
> about?

Pretty much what the NASA HQ pages say it is, as far as I know. RIF
watch at http://www.reston.com has more information than you probably
have time to read...

> If they mentioned it in AWST, I missed it.

So much for this fantastic "dead tree" technology that everyone keeps
telling me about :-).

Michael J. Gallagher

Dec 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/12/96

Jim Kingdon wrote:

> > IIf they mentioned it in AWST, I missed it.

> So much for this fantastic "dead tree" technology that everyone keeps
> telling me about :-).

Dead tree technology doesn't saddle you with a $300 phone bill. :/

JHOLL4

Dec 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/13/96

In <32AF78...@Prodigy.Net>, "Michael J. Gallagher" <MIK...@Prodigy.Net> writes:
>...I stumbled on a couple of pages about the "buyout." What is this all
>about? If they mentioned it in AWST, I missed it.

There are more details than you could possibly want on RIF Watch
at http://www.reston.com/rif/watch.html. Basically, NASA is trying
to reduce headcount to meet future budgets.

--Cathy Mancus <man...@vnet.ibm.com>