Apollo Documentary Music

Patrick Chu

Jan 24, 2004, 5:12:55 AM1/24/04
This is a completely random question, but I thought this would be the
place to ask:

There is a TV documentary about the Apollo space program. The
documentary was probably made in the mid-90s, though possibly the 80s.
In this documentary, during footage of the lunar lander (I'm not sure
which mission--probably Apollo 11) leaving the moon, coming up to meet
the orbiter, there's some well-known classical music playing in the
background. I'm sure there are multiple Apollo documentaries that play
classical music during this scene, but the choice in this particular
one was so fitting, and so striking, that I would imagine anyone
familiar with these documentaries would remember it. I have heard
multiple people comment about how moved they were by that image
coupled with that music, though it was several years ago so I don't
remember the title of the documentary or the piece! Sorry this is so
vague, but does anyone happen to know what I'm talking about?

Thanks,
Patrick

ianf

Jan 24, 2004, 7:06:29 PM1/24/04
My memory fades sometimes....but "Tubular Bells" springs to mind. I have
seen this footage a few times.

I think the one I saw was just called "The Space Movie"...and had no
narration....audio was a mixture of music and ground/spacecarft
communications.

Cheers
Ian

"Patrick Chu" <Patri...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Stephen FPilot Bierce

Jan 24, 2004, 9:20:21 PM1/24/04
There is a short that pairs Apollo footage with Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata.
It was produced in Florida for Public TV in the early 1990s. Could this be it?

Stephen "FPilot" Bierce/IPMS #35922
{Sig Quotes Removed on Request}

Pat Flannery

Jan 24, 2004, 9:57:38 PM1/24/04

Patrick Chu wrote:

>This is a completely random question, but I thought this would be the
>place to ask:
>
>There is a TV documentary about the Apollo space program. The
>documentary was probably made in the mid-90s, though possibly the 80s.
>In this documentary, during footage of the lunar lander (I'm not sure
>which mission--probably Apollo 11) leaving the moon, coming up to meet
>the orbiter, there's some well-known classical music playing in the
>background.

I saw a space documentary around that time that used Patrick Cassidy's
"Against us transgressed Fair Fergus" movement from his "Dierdre of the
Sorrows" album in relation to a Apollo flight...it was one of the most
beautiful pieces of music I had ever heard, and fit the scene
perfectly...I had the album pronto!

Pat "Fair Flannus" Flannery

Jonathan Silverlight

Jan 24, 2004, 7:57:06 PM1/24/04
In message <buv1a6$n8c$1...@otis.netspace.net.au>, ianf
<i...@remove.netspace.net.au> writes

>My memory fades sometimes....but "Tubular Bells" springs to mind. I have
>seen this footage a few times.
>
>I think the one I saw was just called "The Space Movie"...and had no
>narration....audio was a mixture of music and ground/spacecarft
>communications.

Wow, but it's been a while since I saw that.
A quick Google search shows that you're right. Tubular Bells plus more
Mike Oldfield stuff.
--
Save the Hubble Space Telescope!

ianf

Jan 25, 2004, 3:15:30 AM1/25/04
Ha Ha!!! Its good to have the neurones connect to the archives
occasionally.

Cheers
Ian

"Jonathan Silverlight" <jsilve...@spam.merseia.fsnet.co.uk.invalid> wrote
in message news:s8C$OPNiRx...@merseia.fsnet.co.uk...

Pat Flannery

Jan 25, 2004, 5:24:44 AM1/25/04

Jonathan Silverlight wrote:

> A quick Google search shows that you're right. Tubular Bells plus more
> Mike Oldfield stuff.

Nothing whatsoever wrong with Mike Oldfield stuff...that beautiful
little song with "I like beer; and I like cheese..." deserves to be in
Peter Jackson's upcoming "The Hobbit" - as Bilbo heads out from Bag End
toward the adventure that will make him late for dinner.

Pat

Jonathan Silverlight

Jan 25, 2004, 5:45:25 AM1/25/04
In message <10176bg...@corp.supernews.com>, Pat Flannery
<fla...@daktel.com> writes

That wasn't supposed to be a put-down - I'm very fond of Mike Oldfield's
music.

Pat Flannery

Jan 25, 2004, 6:44:14 AM1/25/04

ianf wrote:

>Ha Ha!!! Its good to have the neurones connect to the archives
>occasionally.
>
>Cheers
>Ian

Who do you think you are dealing with? Amateurs? :-)

Pat

Pat Flannery

Jan 25, 2004, 6:58:24 AM1/25/04

Jonathan Silverlight wrote:

> That wasn't supposed to be a put-down - I'm very fond of Mike
> Oldfield's music.

Nor did I take it to be; it was a comment and complement on his work,
which I realized you liked as much as I do. :-)

Pat

ianf

Jan 25, 2004, 6:59:22 AM1/25/04
Certainly not!......Its just that this sort of stuff doesn't always come to
mind like it used too...:-)

I remember that doco as being one that I was spellbound by at the time. The
combination of great music and authentic audio (although it was not always
in correct sequence) was terrific.

Cheers
Ian
.
"Pat Flannery" <fla...@daktel.com> wrote in message

Patrick Chu

Jan 25, 2004, 7:27:24 AM1/25/04
Thanks to all for the suggestions! After having listened to each of
them, I'm pretty sure it was the Moonlight Sonata. For some reason I
was expecting it to be an orchestral piece, but it sounds right. The
one I had in mind definitely was not Tubular Bells or Patrick Cassidy,
though those seem fitting as well.

Thanks again,
Patrick

OM

Jan 25, 2004, 11:03:41 AM1/25/04
On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 05:44:14 -0600, Pat Flannery <fla...@daktel.com>
wrote:

>Who do you think you are dealing with? Amateurs? :-)

...He's obviously been reading Bob Haller's posts first.

OM

--

"No bastard ever won a war by dying for | http://www.io.com/~o_m
poor dumb bastard die for his country." | Human O-Ring Society

- General George S. Patton, Jr

Rick DeNatale

Jan 25, 2004, 11:54:35 AM1/25/04
On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 04:24:44 -0600, Pat Flannery wrote:

> Nothing whatsoever wrong with Mike Oldfield stuff...that beautiful
> little song with "I like beer; and I like cheese..." deserves to be in
> Peter Jackson's upcoming "The Hobbit" - as Bilbo heads out from Bag End
> toward the adventure that will make him late for dinner.

I'm rereading The Hobbit, I was suprised to read about the elves at
Rivendell singing silly songs to welcome Gandalf's crew.

I can just see the movie version, with Hugo Weaving as Elrond doing a
Mitch Miller bit in front of his elves.

Of course maybe he could wear his Agent Smith costume and do the songs
backed by the Blues Brothers band. Can't you see Steve Cropper as an elf?
Of course Duck Dunn would either have to shave, or play a dwarf sitting in
with the band!

Ami Silberman

Jan 26, 2004, 2:09:25 PM1/26/04

There was also an Apollo documentary with no narration (just earth-to-ground
radio) with ambient music by Brian Eno. The film isn't available, but the
soundtrack is.

Graypearl

Jan 26, 2004, 4:40:39 PM1/26/04
"Ami Silberman" <sil...@mitre.org> wrote in message
I've got the DVD "For All Mankind," produced by Al Reinert ... it's made up
of film footage shot during the Apollo missions (both on-the-ground and by
the astronauts themselves), with earth-to-ground radio instead of narration
... and its ambient music was done by Brian Eno ... might this be the same
thing? It starts off with shots of the Saturn V stack at night interspersed
with parts of a JFK speech (at Rice University, I believe).

Not that it compares with the real thing, mind you, but the sequence of the
Saturn V launch (with a 5.1 surround sound mix) is pretty darned impressive

James

ca...@spamfree.ca

Jan 26, 2004, 5:29:01 PM1/26/04
In article <bv3ol8$rgt$1...@newslocal.mitre.org>,
"Ami Silberman" <sil...@mitre.org> wrote:

For All Mankind
Produced by Al Reinert
Music by Brian Eno
Narrated by various astronauts
Available at your favorite DVD online store.
A must.

Carl