Help me avoid The Religious Right in Orange County CA (Public Schools)

Kevin White

Aug 10, 1993, 2:22:40 PM8/10/93
Considering a move to Orange County, CA. Want to avoid public school
districts that are influenced by The Religious Right. Have a 1st-grader
and a pre-schooler, and we don't want the school districts to interfere
with our religion-free household. Helpful advice welcomed, humorous
comments enjoyed, flames absolutely ignored.

Thanks in advance!

Kevin
Founding (and only) Member of the National Merit Scholar Air-Head
Society
Kevin S. White - kwh...@nyx.cs.du.edu

Charles Reichley

Aug 10, 1993, 6:28:22 PM8/10/93
In <1993Aug10.1...@mnemosyne.cs.du.edu> kwh...@nyx.cs.du.edu (Kevin White) writes:
> Subject: Help me avoid The Religious Right in Orange County CA (Public Schools)

> Considering a move to Orange County, CA. Want to avoid public school
> districts that are influenced by The Religious Right. Have a 1st-grader
> and a pre-schooler, and we don't want the school districts to interfere
> with our religion-free household. Helpful advice welcomed, humorous
> comments enjoyed, flames absolutely ignored.
>
> Thanks in advance!
Surely you want your children exposed to the views of the religious
right, so that they can learn tolerance for others or at least learn
how to live with people of other cultures and beliefs? :-)

> Kevin
> --
> Founding (and only) Member of the National Merit Scholar Air-Head
> Society
> Kevin S. White - kwh...@nyx.cs.du.edu

Charles W. Reichley, IBM FSC, Manassas, Va.
Reminder : This post has nothing to do with IBM or its subsidiaries

Lawrence Foard

Aug 10, 1993, 7:41:58 PM8/10/93
In article <19930810....@almaden.ibm.com> CREI...@vnet.IBM.COM writes:
>In <1993Aug10.1...@mnemosyne.cs.du.edu> kwh...@nyx.cs.du.edu (Kevin White) writes:
>> Subject: Help me avoid The Religious Right in Orange County CA (Public Schools)
>>
>> Considering a move to Orange County, CA. Want to avoid public school
>> districts that are influenced by The Religious Right. Have a 1st-grader
>> and a pre-schooler, and we don't want the school districts to interfere
>> with our religion-free household. Helpful advice welcomed, humorous
>> comments enjoyed, flames absolutely ignored.
>>
>> Thanks in advance!
>Surely you want your children exposed to the views of the religious
>right, so that they can learn tolerance for others or at least learn
>how to live with people of other cultures and beliefs? :-)

They could always wait until there old enough to think it through
for themselves. Fundies like to accuses homosexuals of recruiting,
the irony is the fundies are the ones recruiting and the ones you
need to protect your children from. Fundy-mentalism is a contagious
mental illness that easily infects young defenseless minds (not to mention
old defenseless minds).

Although I would advise teaching your children about the tricks
the fundies will use on them later so they are prepared when
someone tries to infect them.
--
------ Time: 820713600 seconds, Space: 1727.2mm, Mass: 9.5E10 ug .
\ / Kinsey: 4.5, Religion: Science, Energy: 8.55E18, OS: Linux . .

Donn F. Pedro

Aug 11, 1993, 1:19:35 PM8/11/93
:In <1993Aug10.1...@mnemosyne.cs.du.edu> kwh...@nyx.cs.du.edu (Kevin White) writes:
:> Subject: Help me avoid The Religious Right in Orange County CA (Public Schools)
:>
:> Considering a move to Orange County, CA. Want to avoid public school
:> districts that are influenced by The Religious Right. Have a 1st-grader
:> and a pre-schooler, and we don't want the school districts to interfere
:> with our religion-free household. Helpful advice welcomed, humorous
:> comments enjoyed, flames absolutely ignored.
:>
:> Thanks in advance!
:Surely you want your children exposed to the views of the religious
:right, so that they can learn tolerance for others or at least learn
:how to live with people of other cultures and beliefs? :-)

Exposed is not the same as 'being ruled by'.

Brian Rev P-K Siano

Aug 11, 1993, 5:37:38 PM8/11/93
kwh...@nyx.cs.du.edu (Kevin White) writes:

> Considering a move to Orange County, CA. Want to avoid public school
> districts that are influenced by The Religious Right. Have a 1st-grader
> and a pre-schooler, and we don't want the school districts to interfere
> with our religion-free household. Helpful advice welcomed, humorous
> comments enjoyed, flames absolutely ignored.
>
> Thanks in advance!

From what I've heard, Orange County's pretty conservative, so you're
likely to have a number of fairly religious sorts in your immediate area.
Whether they're the sort who'd push Creationism into the school system isn't
something I know about.

But you may want to consider the other end of the equation-- namely,
not so much avoiding them as taking up battle with them. After all-- and
this is not a flame-- looking to avoid them means that they'll just keep
gaining influence until there's no such religion-free space left. And a
school district can always use one or two good hellraisers for reason.

Brian "Rev. P-K" Siano re...@cellar.org

"Well, I'll know right away by the look in her eyes
she's lost all illusions and she's worldly wise, and I know
if I give her a listen, she's what I've been missing, what I've been missing
I'll be lost in love and havin' some fun with my cynical girl
Who's got no use for the real world, I'm looking for a Cynical Girl"
--- Marshall Crenshaw, "Cynical Girl"

Pete Hardie

Aug 11, 1993, 9:29:46 PM8/11/93
In article <1993Aug10.1...@mnemosyne.cs.du.edu> kwh...@nyx.cs.du.edu (Kevin White) writes:
> Considering a move to Orange County, CA. Want to avoid public school
>districts that are influenced by The Religious Right. Have a 1st-grader
>and a pre-schooler, and we don't want the school districts to interfere
>with our religion-free household. Helpful advice welcomed, humorous
>comments enjoyed, flames absolutely ignored.

Teach your kids right, and you have nothing to fear from the public
schools w/r/t religion....just be sure to explain the contradictions
to the kids.

>Founding (and only) Member of the National Merit Scholar Air-Head
>Society

K001...how to I join?
--

Pete Hardie
pe...@slammer.atl.ga.us

Brett J. Vickers

Aug 12, 1993, 3:19:05 PM8/12/93
re...@cellar.org (Brian "Rev P-K" Siano) writes:
> But you may want to consider the other end of the equation-- namely,
>not so much avoiding them as taking up battle with them. After all-- and
>this is not a flame-- looking to avoid them means that they'll just keep
>gaining influence until there's no such religion-free space left. And a
>school district can always use one or two good hellraisers for reason.

Brian makes a good point. In school districts where parents do not
speak out, creationism can be safely promulgated. Case in point:
Wheeling High School District in suburban Chicago. A teacher there
has been illegally and unconstitutionally poisoning the minds of his
students with creationism, but the ACLU can do absolutely nothing
until a parent in the district speaks out.

--
Brett J. Vickers
bvic...@ics.uci.edu

Pat Dooley

Aug 12, 1993, 8:59:53 PM8/12/93
[...deleted relevant material to satisfy RN..]
>:> Want to avoid public school

>:> districts that are influenced by The Religious Right. Have a 1st-grader
[...more stuff deleted...]

>:Surely you want your children exposed to the views of the religious
>:right
>
>Exposed is not the same as 'being ruled by'.

I would have thought exposure to Jurassic Park might counteract the creationist
aspects of Religious right lunacy. I haven't seen the movie yet but I wonder
what impact it is having on creation science.

Pat Dooley Speaking for himself.

Lawrence Foard

Aug 14, 1993, 12:31:06 AM8/14/93
In article <18...@rand.mel.cocam.oz.au> p...@cocamrd.mel.cocam.oz.au (Pat Dooley) writes:
>In article <73...@uswnvg.uswnvg.com> dfp...@nv2.uswnvg.com (Donn F. Pedro) writes:
>>In article <19930810....@almaden.ibm.com> CREI...@vnet.IBM.COM writes:
>>:In <1993Aug10.1...@mnemosyne.cs.du.edu> kwh...@nyx.cs.du.edu (Kevin White) writes:
> [...deleted relevant material to satisfy RN..]
>>:> Want to avoid public school
>>:> districts that are influenced by The Religious Right. Have a 1st-grader
> [...more stuff deleted...]
>>:Surely you want your children exposed to the views of the religious
>>:right
>>
>>Exposed is not the same as 'being ruled by'.
>

>I would have thought exposure to Jurassic Park might counteract the creationist
>aspects of Religious right lunacy. I haven't seen the movie yet but I wonder
>what impact it is having on creation science.

The ICR devoted half of one of there "acts and facts" magazines to this
they arn't to happy about it :-)

N02...@tamvm1.tamu.edu

Aug 14, 1993, 8:23:03 PM8/14/93
As for the religous right, your kids will get exposed wheter you
like it on not. Teach them how to think for themselves & when they hear
unreasonable stuff, they will reject it.
The best remedy for stupidity, be it religous, political, social or
ideaological, is sound thinking. I was taught to reason and think by
a nun named Sister Isabella. Her instruction has kept me from being conn-
ed by the ICR, NOW, the NRA and Slick Willy. Her training even helped me
get out of a fundamentalist way of thinking. More about that upon request-
I realize that you may not be interested.

"You speak evil of that which is fair | Disclaimer: I speak for my- |
beyond the reach of your thought and on- | myself and no-one else. |
only little wit can excuse you."-Tolkien |_____________________________|
Reply to N02...@TAMVM1.tamu.edu Stamp out Political Correctness

Ross Nelson

Sep 10, 1993, 3:11:12 PM9/10/93
In article <18...@rand.mel.cocam.oz.au> Pat Dooley,

p...@cocamrd.mel.cocam.oz.au writes:
>I would have thought exposure to Jurassic Park might counteract the
creationist
>aspects of Religious right lunacy. I haven't seen the movie yet but I
wonder
>what impact it is having on creation science.

It was reported in either the SF Chonicle or SJ Mercury News that a
right-wing organization in Israel is trying to block distribution of
Jurassic Park because it contradicts the
is more than 6000+ years old.
-- ross