John Baez tells lies.

Jack Sarfatti

May 17, 1994, 8:53:34 PM5/17/94
Some one just sent me a "net.legend.FAQ" about me written
by John Baez. It is totally fraudulent.

For example, Baez claims I tell a story that Murray Gell-Mann
finds my ideas interesting. I never told such a story. I never
spent time with Gell-Mann. I did spend time with Feynman on
several occassions in 1963 and 1967 and Feynman did send me
a funny letter to "The Great Sarfatti" to me at UCSD in 1967.
He did drive around with me in my Jaguar convertible in 1963.
But I never even spoke to Gell-Mann and never said I did.

Baez wrote:
Used to tell people
Murray Gell-Mann found his ideas interesting; someone finally checked with
Gell-Mann - and found the complete quote was "Your ideas are interesting, but
[looking at watch] I'm late for an appointment." Posts from ....

Also Baez falsely says I wrote letters of complaint to academic
superiors of at least one other person other than him. This is
a lie - the only letter of complaint I did write was to John Baez's
Department Chirman and Academic Dean at UCR (where I got my Ph.D.
with Fred Cummings in 1969). John and his graduate student, David
Dixon, who has a history of terrorizing females on campus, have
been spreading lies about me for over a year on the internet for
over a year which is why I did complain to his Dean. This is not
professional behavior for a promising professor without tenure
and I wish he would stop it. My personal displeasure over his
distortions of my ideas etc will not stop me from reading his
book on Knots and Physics - but I hope his writng there is more
accurate than his lies about me.

What is this net.legend.FAQ which seems to be a repository of
false information?

Jack Sarfatti

May 17, 1994, 11:47:47 PM5/17/94

I just got back from a birthday party of a knot theorist here
at UCSD and inquired his opinion of John Baez. I had the compassion
for Baez not to mention his slanders of me on the internet.

I did ask this fellow what he thought of Baez's talk at UCSD.
All he could think of asking Baez was if he was related to Joan
Baez. Curiously parallel to Baez's bogus story about me and
Gell-Mann which never happened.

Synchronicity strikes again because I got the email message
of Baez's lies about me in net.legend.FAQ less than an hour
before I was to attend the party of this eminent guy in John's
field who lives down the street from where I am staying.

SCOTT I CHASE

May 18, 1994, 1:24:00 PM5/18/94
In article <sarfattiC...@netcom.com>, sarf...@netcom.com (Jack Sarfatti) writes...

>What is this net.legend.FAQ which seems to be a repository of
>false information?

Why don't you post it, so we can judge for ourselves?

-Scott
--------------------
Scott I. Chase "Mmmm... floor pie."
SIC...@CSA2.LBL.GOV -Homer J. Simpson

SCOTT I CHASE

May 18, 1994, 1:42:00 PM5/18/94
In article <sarfattiC...@netcom.com>, sarf...@netcom.com (Jack Sarfatti) writes...
>If the Palestinians and the Israelis can do it so can John Baez and
>Jack Sarfatti. SO while we are burying the hatchet I retract my
>unkind words about the moderators of sci.physics.research and the
>Gulag - especially since they had the integrity to post my message
>about Phys.Rev D :-)

I heard today that Arafat has just called for a Jihad to reclaim Jerusalem.
Perhaps you should find a better metaphor.

Jack Sarfatti

May 18, 1994, 10:35:52 AM5/18/94

John Baez has falsely written about me

>Has written to at least one poster's dean and dept. chair, complaining
>about their sense of humor in posting that the 4 moderators of
>sci.physics were their sense of humor in posting that the 4 moderators
>of sci.physics were pretending to be Abian, Plutonium, Hannu and
>Sarfatti in order to drive folks to sci.physics.research,

Totally untrue. I never sent a letter to any one's dean other than John
Baez's.

>Used to tell people Murray Gell-Mann found his ideas interesting;
>someone finally checked with Gell-Mann - and found the complete quote

>was "Your ideas are interesting, but I'm late for an appointment."

Totally untrue. Made from whole cloth. Entirely in John Baez's diseased
imagination. I never told anyone any story about me an Gell-Mann. I
have never met or had a conversation with Gell-Mann and never claimed I
did.

By the way, what ever happened to sci.physics.research. Very little
activity, boring posts - so much for "moderation" which means "censorship" by pumediocrities thirsting for power who would have been quite at home
administering a prison camp in the Gulag. I am quite pissed at these
half-twits like John Baez who will not be remembered for his physics
but because he is Joan Baez's cousin! That's all they remembered about
his recent talk at UCSD! ;-)

david dixon

May 18, 1994, 2:23:27 PM5/18/94

Jack Sarfatti <sarf...@netcom.com> wrote:
>Department Chirman and Academic Dean at UCR (where I got my Ph.D.
>with Fred Cummings in 1969). John and his graduate student, David
>Dixon, who has a history of terrorizing females on campus, have
>been spreading lies about me for over a year on the internet for
>over a year which is why I did complain to his Dean.

As John Baez will no doubt point out to you, I'm not his student.
Mathematics generally gives me a rash :-) I'm not a student at all.
I got my Ph.D last June, in physics, with (you guessed it) Fred
Cummings, which gives me some sort of weird (and sickening) association
with the original net.bozo, Jack Sarfat. Fortunately for John and I,
I suppose, the your reputation precedes you, and the powers that
be here at UCR are well aware of the fact that you are a raving goofball.

I like the bit about terrorizing females. It adds immeasurable
credibility to your own peculiar insanity.

>What is this net.legend.FAQ which seems to be a repository of
>false information?

It fills in newbies on which bozos to avoid.

You know what really bothers me about you Jack? It's not that your're
a prick, it's that you're an ignorant prick. Please send flames
ASAP, as I'm kind of bored right now, and you make me laugh. Better
yet, please send some of your ideas about physics. They make me laugh
even more.

Dave

Jack Sarfatti

May 18, 1994, 10:55:00 AM5/18/94

I just spoke to John Baez on the telephone. He admits that he
heard the Gell Mann story from some twit in the halls of
UC Riverside.

Baez said the FAQ was written over a year ago when he was
"pissed" at me because he says I compared him to a
"Nazi camp commander".

In any case we agreed to call a truce and stop this bar room
brawling. Now we can get back to writing our book together
on quantum gravity and power crystals! :-)

Jack Sarfatti

May 18, 1994, 11:06:05 AM5/18/94
If the Palestinians and the Israelis can do it so can John Baez and
Jack Sarfatti. SO while we are burying the hatchet I retract my
unkind words about the moderators of sci.physics.research and the
Gulag - especially since they had the integrity to post my message
about Phys.Rev D :-)

Both Baez and I have Spanish blood and are apparently quick to
anger but do not hold grudges.

This Dixon guy is another matter apparently. Baez says Dixon
is not his research student and only took one class with him. I
thought Dixon was his research student and let me correct that for
the record. My concern about Dixon is not based on hearsay but
on direct evidence from a victim whose identity I obviously cannot
disclose.

SCOTT I CHASE

May 18, 1994, 1:36:00 PM5/18/94
In article <sarfattiC...@netcom.com>, sarf...@netcom.com (Jack Sarfatti) writes...

>I am quite pissed at these

>half-twits like John Baez who will not be remembered for his physics
>but because he is Joan Baez's cousin! That's all they remembered about
>his recent talk at UCSD! ;-)

Pray tell, when was the last time that *you* were invited to give a
talk at UCSD?

Montlick

May 18, 1994, 3:43:02 PM5/18/94
Schrodinger's cat fight!

Ron Maimon

May 18, 1994, 1:01:04 PM5/18/94
In article <sarfattiC...@netcom.com>, sarf...@netcom.com (Jack Sarfatti) writes:

|> I did ask this fellow what he thought of Baez's talk at UCSD.
|> All he could think of asking Baez was if he was related to Joan
|> Baez.

IS HE????

Hannu Poropudas

May 18, 1994, 2:42:50 PM5/18/94

I refer here to Jack Sarfatti's posting, which is dated Wed May
18 17:35:52 1994 :

That 'devil's advocate' Mr. J. Baez (as he has called himself in
one of his posting in sci.physics in 1992 <1992Mar13.173436.299099
@galois.mit.edu> and <1992Mar14....@galois.mit.edu>,13 Mar 92
and 14 Mar 92 (first message-id corrected as <1992Mar13.173436.29099
@galois.mit.edu>)
tried to get me entangled in the list of those cracpots (only
Abian and Plutonium).

I think that Mr. J. Baez's only scientific achievement which will
be remembered in future is that Mr. J. Baez is the founder member of
crackpots in sci.physics. (This is not a joke).

Best Regards,
Hannu Poropudas,
--
"If man has good self-discipline always to choose good instead of
pleasant, then man becomes also good and happy, which are the

Jim Carr

May 18, 1994, 2:34:28 PM5/18/94
In article <sarfattiC...@netcom.com>
sarf...@netcom.com (Jack Sarfatti) writes:

>In any case we agreed to call a truce and stop this bar room
>brawling. Now we can get back to writing our book together
>on quantum gravity and power crystals! :-)

When you do, I will happily supply a chapter on how the State of Florida
Dept. of Education building was shaped like a giant crystal to draw the
power from the local vortex (that drew Ted Bundy and zillions of sports
agents here) to neutralize the inertia of the education establishment.

--
James A. Carr <j...@scri.fsu.edu> | "It's never confusing though,
http://www.scri.fsu.edu | because ultimately it all fits

SCOTT I CHASE

May 18, 1994, 8:07:00 PM5/18/94
In article <2rdhkg$2...@scunix2.harvard.edu>, rma...@husc9.Harvard.EDU (Ron Maimon) writes...

Haven't you heard? John is actually Joan's ex-husband. Things
were rocky for many years, and they intended to try to work it out.
But the last straw came when he criticized her for her staunch
attachment to the Copenhagen interpretation. She couldn't live with
an Everettist, and they parted under less than amiable circumstances.
It was in all the tabloids. I'm surprised you didn't know.

john baez

May 18, 1994, 6:50:06 PM5/18/94
In article <2rdhkg$2...@scunix2.harvard.edu> rma...@husc9.Harvard.EDU (Ron Maimon) writes:

>|> All he could think of asking Baez was if he was related to Joan
>|> Baez.

>IS HE????

He is. I answered this a while back; she's my father's brother's
daughter.

So that this will have some remote connection to physics (in case folks
have forgotten, this newsgroup is sci.physics, not alt.fan.john.baez)
let me add that Joan's father, Albert Baez, was co-inventor of the first
lens to focus X-rays. Actually it was a Fresnel "lens": concentric
circles made of gold, spaced in such a manner that diffraction focuses
the X-rays. (Standard lenses are no use since the index of refraction
of X-rays in everyday matter is very close to 1.) I believe the same
basic design is used for modern X-ray telescopes.

If I post using this subject header, doesn't that lead to a paradox? :-)

James Kibo Parry

May 19, 1994, 2:52:30 AM5/19/94
In sci.physics article <sarfattiC...@netcom.com>,

Jack Sarfatti <sarf...@netcom.com> wrote:

> In any case we agreed to call a truce and stop this bar room
> brawling. Now we can get back to writing our book together
> on quantum gravity and power crystals! :-)

Hey, Jack, did you see that they discussed one of your ideas briefly in
the movie "Nightfall" (very, very loosely based on Isaac Asimov's story)?
It didn't help the movie much that they took out most of Asimov's stuff,
but the part where they referred to your FTL communication scheme was
quite interesting. I suggest you rent "Nightfall" immediately, Jack--
the movie probably won't hold much interest for normal people, but since
you're alluded to, I think you should see it.

-- K.

James Kibo Parry

May 19, 1994, 2:55:12 AM5/19/94
In sci.physics article <2rdnja$s...@freenet.hut.fi>,

Hannu Poropudas <hapo...@freenet.hut.fi> wrote:

> I refer here to Jack Sarfatti's posting, which is dated Wed May
> 18 17:35:52 1994 :
>
> That 'devil's advocate' Mr. J. Baez (as he has called himself in
> one of his posting in sci.physics in 1992 <1992Mar13.173436.299099
> @galois.mit.edu> and <1992Mar14....@galois.mit.edu>,13 Mar 92
> and 14 Mar 92 (first message-id corrected as <1992Mar13.173436.29099
> @galois.mit.edu>)
> tried to get me entangled in the list of those cracpots (only
> Abian and Plutonium).

Now, now, Plutonium's not a crackpot. You and Abian obviously are, just
like that Ted Frank guy who thinks James Kirk's middle name is "Tiberius".

> I think that Mr. J. Baez's only scientific achievement which will
> be remembered in future is that Mr. J. Baez is the founder member of
> crackpots in sci.physics. (This is not a joke).

Why did the germ cross the microscope? To get to the other slide!
(This is not a joke.)

> Best Regards,
> Hannu Poropudas,
> --
> "If man has good self-discipline always to choose good instead of
> pleasant, then man becomes also good and happy, which are the
> goals of man's life." (Hannu Poropudas)

Maybe you should add a picture of yourself to your .sig so that we know
what you looked like when you said your favorite quote?

-- K.

Benjamin J. Tilly

May 19, 1994, 1:19:42 PM5/19/94
In article <2rdhkg$2...@scunix2.harvard.edu>
rma...@husc9.Harvard.EDU (Ron Maimon) writes:

Would you consider it a big deal if he is? Personally I think that his
knowledge and personality are far more important than a mere accident
of genetics. FYI he is.

Ben Tilly

Aephraim M. Steinberg

May 19, 1994, 4:20:22 PM5/19/94
In article <2rg73e$h...@dartvax.dartmouth.edu>,

Benjamin J. Tilly <Benjamin...@dartmouth.edu> wrote:

>Personally I think that his
>knowledge and personality are far more important than a mere accident
>of genetics. FYI he is.

Personally, I think that his knowledge and personality _are_ a mere
accident of genetics, at least in part.

(No disrespect intended to either, of course. And I agree that they're
more important than the other accident, though presumably not wholly
unrelated.)

--
Aephraim M. Steinberg | "WHY must I treat the measuring
UCB Physics | device classically?? What will
| -- Eugene Wigner

HENRIQUE FLEMING

May 20, 1994, 9:13:41 AM5/20/94
>--
>Aephraim M. Steinberg | "WHY must I treat the measuring
>UCB Physics | device classically?? What will
>aeph...@physics.berkeley.edu | happen to me if I don't??

| -- Eugene Wigner

I've been mistaken all my life! I used to think that
everybody, now and then, told his lies!

Now serious: I loved this Wigner quotation...
Henrique Fleming
Universidade de Sao Paulo
Brazil

Jack Sarfatti

May 20, 1994, 2:22:29 PM5/20/94

What do you mean they alluded to me in NIGHTFALL? You mean by name?
H Schmidt in his SF series SATORI TRILOGY writes tha Sarfatti and
Josephson discoverd the Star Ship drive. Robert Anton Wilson also
used me as a fictional character in Schrodinger's Cat.

Actually I was written by Borges but escaped the page in an
Escherian strange loop.

So Dixon and I have the same thesis advisor, Fred Cummings.
Fred must be working off some bad karma from another reincarnation.
No way that my competence can be attacked without the mud sticking
to Fred Cummings - and some of my other profs at UCSD and Cornell
like Hans Bethe and Phil Morriosn who worte letters for me to go
to grad school - also Phil wrote a nice one that got me job at SDSU
etc.

The Dixon story about women is from one of the alleged women victims
that was written directly to me - very detailed and I doubt it was
made up.

What was funny is that she responded to a general remark I made
on sci.physics that did not mention DIxon's name and wrote
asking if it was Dixon! That started the exchange.

Fred Cummings is a nice guy and has some very creative ideas but
he got some jealous thing or anger about me after Fred Wolf and I
quit regular physics to become Esalen gurus and Shamans in the New
Age in 70's and 80's. See Herb Gold's book, BOHEMIA, Where Love
Art,Angst,and Strong Coffee Meet (Simon and Schuster, 1993) pp
14-17 about me as an "Elder of Bohemia" along with Kerouac, Ginzberg,
Corso, Ferhlinghetti etc.

Fred Cummings and I were once very close - we met in 1963 at
Ford Aeronutronics. We even shared women together (not at same
time) before his marriage to a very nice lady.

I once met Fred at Berkeley in 80's and he sarcastically said
I was a "great man". I think Fred's anger to me has to do with
politics since Fred has been traditionally politically correct
and at the time I was consulting for a neoconservative think tank
director A L Chickering who worked closely with Ed Meese and
Cap Weinberger and I wrote a pro-piece on Star Wars that went
to Reagan's advisor Paul Nitze and contained the line "rendering
nuclear weapons impotent and obsolete" which Reagan used in his
famous speech on Star Wars months later. Reagan also used
stuff from me in his 1986 State of the Union speecah where he
quotes a line from Back to the Future and talks aboutPhysicists finding God in ttheir equations.

Both Ron Mermin and Jeremy Bernstein quote from a letter I wrote
with Chickering to Richard De LAuer at DOD on use of quantum
correlations in submarine communication for untappable channel
etc (pre-Bennett's EPR quantum cryptography by several years).
Mermin quotes it in AJP and Bernstein in book Quantum Profiles.
Mermin did not cite my name in original but corrected that omission
later on in a note to Physics Today. (correction not AJP but
Physics Today).

Robert Firth

May 20, 1994, 3:47:39 PM5/20/94
In article <sarfattiC...@netcom.com> sarf...@netcom.com (Jack Sarfatti) writes:

>See Herb Gold's book, BOHEMIA, Where Love
>Art,Angst,and Strong Coffee Meet (Simon and Schuster, 1993) pp
>14-17 about me as an "Elder of Bohemia" along with Kerouac, Ginzberg,
>Corso, Ferhlinghetti etc.

What's an "Elder of Bohemia"? Is it higher or lower than "Operating
Thetan"? And who are the other dudes? I vaguely recognise Howling
Ginzberg from somewhere. And is "Kerouac" the famous author Jan
Kerouac, or her total flake father? If the former, I guess there
might be reason for jealousy.

And, other than as a charming example of macroscopic decoherence,
what does this have to do with QM?

Jason Kodish

May 23, 1994, 11:36:29 AM5/23/94
hapo...@freenet.hut.fi (Hannu Poropudas) writes:

>I think that Mr. J. Baez's only scientific achievement which will
>be remembered in future is that Mr. J. Baez is the founder member of
>crackpots in sci.physics. (This is not a joke).

>Best Regards,
>Hannu Poropudas,

Comming from the guy with the GREAT SPACE POTATO, I have to read this
with a grain of salt(more like a brick of it)
John Baez has never seemed to be anything but an intelligent
net.physicist,and a decent fellow to boot.
I don't know much about Saffarti, but he seems a little odd to me.
Can anyone tell me about him?

--
|Jason Kodish, |If the fabric of time
|University of Alberta,Dept of Gravitational Engineering|is truly seamless,
|R -1/2 g R = T (Einstein Field Equation) |the weavers still
| un un un |must sleep-anonymous

Jack Sarfatti

May 27, 1994, 2:36:42 AM5/27/94

Look Jason, I don't care what you say about me as long
as you spell my name right

SARFATTI

which in Hebrew means "The Frenchman" from
my ancestor Rabbi Solomon ha-Zarfati
aka Rashi de Troyes 1040-1105

what you some kind of anti-semite deliberately
mispelling the most famous name in
modern Juewish Hitory according to
General Yuval Neeman and Max Jammer in a
private conversation to me in 1980
witnessed by Sam Sternberg and Kim Burrafato
at the Fairmont Hotel in San Francisco.

tab...@vms.huji.ac.il

May 28, 1994, 4:46:54 AM5/28/94
In article <sarfattiC...@netcom.com>, sarf...@netcom.com (Jack Sarfatti) writes:

Doncha think the Rambam is just a little teeny weeny bit mroe
famous than your alleged ancestor?

Robert J. Kolker

May 29, 1994, 10:34:37 AM5/29/94
tab...@vms.huji.ac.il writes:

It is the Rashi's comments that decorate the inward side of the pages
of the Talmud Babli (untill Rashi's death of course). The Rambam acheive
his just fame, but never had the Talmudic standing of Rashi. R. Kairo who
compounded the Shulchan Aruch did not hold Rashi as authoratative.

--
Conan the Libertarian
"Taxation is Theft. "

tab...@vms.huji.ac.il

May 31, 1994, 11:32:57 AM5/31/94

>>Doncha think the Rambam is just a little teeny weeny bit mroe
>>famous than your alleged ancestor?
>
> It is the Rashi's comments that decorate the inward side of the pages
> of the Talmud Babli (untill Rashi's death of course). The Rambam acheive
> his just fame, but never had the Talmudic standing of Rashi. R. Kairo who
> compounded the Shulchan Aruch did not hold Rashi as authoratative.

Whether Rashi was superior to the Rambam is a different question than
whether he's more famous. Here I am in Jerusalem. If you're willing
to trust my honesty, I can walk around and ask a bunch of people who's
the most famous....Even among religious Jews, the answer almost certainly
will be the Rambam. We can test that.

Jack Sarfatti

Jun 6, 1994, 12:13:24 AM6/6/94

Well Yuval Ne-eman told me that Rashi was the greatest! Since you
are in Jerusalem go argue with him and Max Jammer who is at the
Hebrew University. The conversation took place at the Unity of
Science Conference at Fairmont Hotel in early 80's in San Francisco.
In any case I am probably a chip off Rashi's block which explains
my mystical tendencies and the why and wherefore of New Age Physics
that I was the catalyst for e.g. books by Capra, Wolf, Zukav, Dossey
Herbert etc etc all coming out of Esalen in mid 70's. It's part of
the plan from the Omega Point as will be explained in Frank Tipler's
new book.

Gell-Mann's Quark and Jaguar points the way for how to use quantum
mechanics for complex individual events. The several measures of
complecity and depth and crypticity show that standard quantum mechanics
we get to a complex adaptive system midway between perfect order and
perfect disorder there will, I predict, be a major breakdown in the
Born probability interpretation as glimpsed by Bohm in his 1954 hidden
variable paper and as suggested recently by Brian Josephson.

This while it is true that the uncontrollable randomness of quantum
strings prevents the local decoding of messages encoded on the nonlocal
quantum connection that is because we are in the inanimate regime of
maximal algorithmic complexity of zero depth in Gell-Mann's sense. The
formalism of QM will expand to include the new Gell-Mann parameters of
complexity and organization in such a way that volition of a complex
adaptive system observing an ordinary inanimate quantum system will
cause an effective nonunitarity which will permit the phase entanglement
of spacelike separated systems to be used as a communication channel IMHO.

Furthermore, the Aharonov-Vaidman-Albert quantum time machine work can be
generalized to provide a unified quantum model of memory and human foresight
which the time reversal symmetry broken so that precognition is much less
reliable than memory without technological enhancement.

For example, suppose a preparation at time to and a post selection at time t1.
Let time t lie between to and t1, then

<t|psi> = <t|to><to|psi> + <t|t1><t1|psi>

So that your experience at t is influenced by your past memory at t0
AND your future precognition at t1. However, the arrow of time usually
requires more phase noise in the advanced influence from t1 to t. Note
I say "usually".

This will all become clearer when Frank Tipler's new book on Omega Point
comes out.

mark a friesel

Jun 9, 1994, 11:09:11 AM6/9/94
Should you start a group called sci.physics.most_famous_jews? Maybe a
course: Physics 101 - contents: 1. most famous jews 2. Jack Sarfatti's
opinion of most famous jews 3. general discussion of most famous jews.
Required courses: Math 100: Introduction to most famous jews. As far as
I'm concerned, Hebrew a good cup of coffee, he OK with me.

Mark A. Friesel
(509) 375-2235
e-mail: ma_fr...@pnl.gov

mark a friesel

Jun 10, 1994, 10:47:07 AM6/10/94
By the way...for those of you who are verrrrrrry sensitive, the above is
not intended as anti-Semitism. In the larger non-Semitic community I'd
expect Einstein is the MFJ, and my personal bias toward Heifitz is
insupportable since he obviously has little of Einstein's fame. Also,
please be aware that all of my internet messages are being monitored by at
least two separate organizations at my place of work, and are being
internally distributed for various purposes.