Mars Exploration Rover Mission - Has Landed and is transmitting!

Sam Wormley

Jan 3, 2004, 11:55:41 PM1/3/04
Mars Exploration Rover Mission - Has Landed and is transmitting!
http://www.nasa.gov/ram/35037main_portal.ram

New Science to follow!

Phil

Jan 4, 2004, 12:46:15 AM1/4/04
What app opens a .ram file?

Phil

Paul R. Mays

Jan 4, 2004, 1:40:16 AM1/4/04

"Sam Wormley" <swor...@mchsi.com> wrote in message

> Mars Exploration Rover Mission - Has Landed and is transmitting!
> http://www.nasa.gov/ram/35037main_portal.ram
>
> New Science to follow!

And some old shit too.... ;)

Paul R. Mays

Jan 4, 2004, 1:41:32 AM1/4/04

"Phil" <w7ox...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

> What app opens a .ram file?

Real Player
http://www.real.com/

You can D/L a free player there....

;-Peter

Jan 4, 2004, 8:43:03 AM1/4/04
"Sam Wormley" <swor...@mchsi.com> wrote...

> Mars Exploration Rover Mission - Has Landed and is transmitting!

All that bouncing deserves a round of applause!

Lots of very cool pics not in the press releases (for some reason they've
chosen utterly boring ones to give the press). See below for the latest
images..

http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/all/spirit001.html

I'm guessing the color panoramic cams haven't yet been deployed, which is
why we're getting little monochrome pics off the navicam thus far. These are
pretty damn good quality for a robotic navigational aid - this thing can see
better than I can!

;-Peter

--
Mythology with a twist
http://www.godchecker.com

Michael Egan

Jan 4, 2004, 9:40:37 AM1/4/04
Send it over to turn on the Beagle II!

";-Peter" <checkda...@not-the-headers.com> wrote in message

Uncle Al

Jan 4, 2004, 2:46:29 PM1/4/04
";-Peter" wrote:

> "Sam Wormley" <swor...@mchsi.com> wrote...
> > Mars Exploration Rover Mission - Has Landed and is transmitting!
>
> All that bouncing deserves a round of applause!
>
> Lots of very cool pics not in the press releases (for some reason they've
> chosen utterly boring ones to give the press). See below for the latest
> images..
>
> http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/all/spirit001.html
>
> I'm guessing the color panoramic cams haven't yet been deployed, which is
> why we're getting little monochrome pics off the navicam thus far. These are
> pretty damn good quality for a robotic navigational aid - this thing can see
> better than I can!

I'd like to see a big American flag decal or at least the NASA logo in
one of the frames. In a lot of the frames. Let there be no doubt who
has the biggest technological balls on Earth - even bigger than the
most incompetent mangement's clippers.

--
Uncle Al
http://www.mazepath.com/uncleal/

The Ghost In The Machine

Jan 4, 2004, 4:01:22 PM1/4/04
In sci.physics, Michael Egan
<m_e...@earthlink.net>
wrote
on Sun, 04 Jan 2004 14:40:37 GMT
<FBVJb.7501$6B....@newsread1.news.atl.earthlink.net>:

Heh...I figure that one of the reasons the initial pics were so boring
was that they were the very first pics, whatever they could get out of
the thing at the time (or just after the time) of landing.

Unlike the Beagle 2, however, this one's alive and at least partially
working.

#191, ewi...@earthlink.net
It's still legal to go .sigless.

Gene S. Berkowitz

Jan 5, 2004, 1:38:17 AM1/5/04
In article <HLUJb.4667018$Id.7...@news.easynews.com>,
checkda...@not-the-headers.com says...

> "Sam Wormley" <swor...@mchsi.com> wrote...
> > Mars Exploration Rover Mission - Has Landed and is transmitting!
>
> All that bouncing deserves a round of applause!
>
> Lots of very cool pics not in the press releases (for some reason they've
> chosen utterly boring ones to give the press). See below for the latest
> images..
>
> http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/all/spirit001.html
>
> I'm guessing the color panoramic cams haven't yet been deployed, which is
> why we're getting little monochrome pics off the navicam thus far. These are
> pretty damn good quality for a robotic navigational aid - this thing can see
> better than I can!

Just a little note; many of the pictures at the link above are stereo
pairs; they're monochrome, but 3-D (just cross your eyes).

--Gene

Sam Wormley

Jan 5, 2004, 1:46:36 AM1/5/04

Uncross your eyes (left image is on the left, etc.)

Gene S. Berkowitz

Jan 5, 2004, 2:10:26 AM1/5/04
In article <3FF9084A...@mchsi.com>, swor...@mchsi.com says...

I stitched a few of the pairs together for better viewing:

http://www.eslave.net/Mars.html

--Gene

O1m4lalk

Jan 5, 2004, 4:43:59 AM1/5/04
In article <MPG.1a62d7ea9...@news.comcast.giganews.com>,
Uncross your eyes (left image is on the left, etc.)

> I stitched a few of the pairs together for better viewing:
>
> http://www.eslave.net/Mars.html
>
> --Gene

Thanks! It's fasinating to see depressions in the ground in some of the
views, such as the 6th pair, and the 2nd and 3rd pair seem to show a
slight dropoff a short distance away.

Robert J. Kolker

Jan 5, 2004, 8:47:22 AM1/5/04

O1m4lalk wrote:

> Thanks! It's fasinating to see depressions in the ground in some of the
> views, such as the 6th pair, and the 2nd and 3rd pair seem to show a
> slight dropoff a short distance away.

Just over the hill out of sight are the ruins of an ancient Martian city.

Bob Kolker

Franz Heymann

Jan 5, 2004, 11:21:41 AM1/5/04

> Mars Exploration Rover Mission - Has Landed and is transmitting!
> http://www.nasa.gov/ram/35037main_portal.ram
>
> New Science to follow!

Congratulations to the team who did it for their glorious success.

Franz

Uncle Al

Jan 5, 2004, 12:22:24 PM1/5/04

You are correct. The standard stero presentation is wall-eyed not
cross-eyed. Cross-eyed rapidly leads to massive headaches.

The whole $400,000,000 cost of each lander would be justified if it
sets the Vatican tap-dancing when the first fossilized shell is
imaged. A little limestone goes a long way toward crunching "one
Creation." OTOH, one expects a billion years of dry surface erosion
plus incessant UV will leave no interesting regiolith to be seen short
of drilling/blasting a serious hole, or walking up to a fresh talus
deposit.

Remarkably large areas of the terrestrial high altitude Atacama desert
are good Mars models. The surface soil has esentially no organic
content and even contains weird highly oxidizing inorganics. Solar UV
is brutal. Given a kilo of Atacama surface soil, one would never
suspect most of the rest of planet Earth is scummed with life, down to
at least 5 km depth in rock. The Sahara desert and the Saudi Empty
Quarter are similarly sterile (aside from camel bones and desiccated
human shit accumulated along trade routes).

Google
Atacama mars 4670 hits

Bill Vajk

Jan 5, 2004, 12:39:27 PM1/5/04
Littlemanwearingbigboypants wrote:

> The whole $400,000,000 cost of each lander would be justified if it
> sets the Vatican tap-dancing when the first fossilized shell is
> imaged.

They're not original enough to worry about it themselves. Their
views are borrowed directly from the Torah, and they'll likely
go to the present keepers of that horse's "mouth" for the latest
version of all the truth mankind needs to know.

Paul R. Mays

Jan 5, 2004, 12:39:05 PM1/5/04

"Uncle Al" <Uncl...@hate.spam.net> wrote in message

Again... Absolutlly untrue... Take a gram of
sand 6 inches down from the middle of the Sahara
and you will find life in it.... Your bright sometimes
and sometimes as dumb as a stump....

Uncle Al

Jan 5, 2004, 2:48:22 PM1/5/04

All talk, no walk. All mouth, no brain. Provide links or cite
scholarly literature. Pulling it out of your ass is not arguing
counterpoint. You are too disgustingly ignorant and stooopid to cite
female sandflies (Phlebotomus in the Old World or Lutzomya in the New
World) and leishmaniasis - and you don't even get those in deep
desert.

Insect Mol. Biol. 6 211 (1997)
J. Med. Entomol. 32(6) 822 (1995)

Google
leishmaniasis phlebotomus 2030 hits

Lazy idiot.

Paul R. Mays

Jan 5, 2004, 5:28:46 PM1/5/04

> "Paul R. Mays" wrote:
> >
> > "Uncle Al" <Uncl...@hate.spam.net> wrote in message

<<<<<<Snipped >>>>
Unky Al bellowed

> >All talk, no walk. All mouth, no brain.

Paul Replies one time only....

Look it up yourself,,, I believe in using My head to think
unlike you that rely on pleads to authority... As I have
noticed that a lot from you. You require others to supply
intellectual content and have very rarely been able to
actually show that your mental abilities are any better
than Hammond's or Spacey.

I've read some of your summited papers and there
also you do nothing more than use the intellectual
content of others and put in your terms and call it
yours... I have no need to prove anything to anyone
to bolster my ego like you seem to. I've done my bit
and my machines are around the world and still
working. You seem to have to squat in the hallway
to leave a mark so that your feel good about yourself.

I generally don't post links to anything and rather
have discussion with those that can also show they
have the intellectual ability to compete in the arena
of ideas... Even if incorrect, misinformed or dead
on target, Those that can demonstrate that they have
the ability to actually argue from their own intellect
is far superior, in this format, to a self demonstrated
asshole that generally has not produced a competent
thought of his own and resorts to pleads to authority
for his mental self - masturbation .

I can find all kinds of links on the internet for lots
of positions and know very well how to do nexus
searches... So do most others.... But you have , it
seems, to rely on others for intellectual content of
your posts.... A sad situation for someone that
I had at one time thought had a good thinking mind.

In the past few weeks I have noticed that that's not the
case... You use pleads to authority and even fooled
me into thinking you had a mind worth understanding.
Maybe you did at one time but it seems that time has
past and now your only abilities are to be able to
find others to do your thinking for you...

So, since my reason for being on this is mainly
entertainment and to see the writings of those that
actually use intellect to conceive of ideas, I have
come to find you arrogant ( with no demonstrated
reason to be), an asshole, and with very little
intellectual content in your rantings....

So... Plonk... Your not worth my time, And from your
post history ... not worth others either..

There's life in the Sahara... While you sit on your
ass and nose pick, I have been there, Several of
my backup power systems have been installed on
sensor arrays there and I have installed the maintained..

I don't need to resort to authority as I have gotten off my
ass in my life and done stuff... You sit in a dark room
and get your keyboard sticky reading others work...
And still can't come up with your own intellectual content..

Paul Mays.....

Genital Herpes

Jan 5, 2004, 7:21:32 PM1/5/04
Uncle Al <Uncl...@hate.spam.net> wrote in message bullshit

are you a gay?

Laurel Amberdine

Jan 5, 2004, 11:32:01 PM1/5/04
On Mon, 05 Jan 2004 09:22:24 -0800, Uncle Al <Uncl...@hate.spam.net> wrote:

> The whole $400,000,000 cost of each lander would be justified if it
> sets the Vatican tap-dancing when the first fossilized shell is
> imaged. A little limestone goes a long way toward crunching "one
> Creation."

You are a little out of date. The Catholic church hasn't been a proponent
of creationism in a long time. The Vatican wouldn't care at all.

--
- Laurel * * * http://amberdine.com

Rolf Wilms

Jan 6, 2004, 8:20:20 PM1/6/04

"Uncle Al" <Uncl...@hate.spam.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

> I'd like to see a big American flag decal or at least the NASA logo in
> one of the frames. In a lot of the frames. Let there be no doubt who
> has the biggest technological balls on Earth - even bigger than the
> most incompetent mangement's clippers.

You see America this way,
http://www.mazepath.com/uncleal/effete6.jpg
The entire remainder of the planet sees America this way,
http://www.mazepath.com/uncleal/effete7.jpg

;-)

Ciao,
Rolf

Franz Heymann

Jan 7, 2004, 6:29:31 AM1/7/04

"Rolf Wilms" <rolf_...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

I never saw this remark of uncle Al, so let me comment here:
Both the Russians and the Germans were so far ahead of you in rocketry that
you had to import a German rocket engineer to get you under way
The Russians beat you in launching a successful satellite
You are using a Russian vehicle to contact your own folk in the space
laboratory, since you are unable to design a suitable vehicle.

Franz

Uncle Al

Jan 7, 2004, 12:16:00 PM1/7/04

NASA is not part of the US space program. Quite the contrary.