David Halliday (1916-2010)

Sam Wormley

Jan 4, 2011, 12:55:37 PM1/4/11
David Halliday, coauthor of one of the most widely used elementary
physics textbooks, died of cardiac arrest on 2 April 2010 in Maple
Falls, Washington.

Halliday was born in Manchester, UK, on 3 March 1916 and grew up in
Homestead, Pennsylvania, a steel town on the outskirts of Pittsburgh.
After graduating from Homestead High School in 1934, he enrolled at the
University of Pittsburgh, from which he received a BS in 1938 and a PhD
in 1941, both in physics. His PhD thesis was titled “Some Coincidence
Experiments in Nuclear Physics.”

See:
http://ptonline.aip.org/journals/doc/PHTOAD-ft/vol_64/iss_1/66_1.shtml

Darwin123

Jan 5, 2011, 12:26:37 AM1/5/11
On Jan 4, 12:55 pm, Sam Wormley <sworml...@gmail.com> wrote:
> David Halliday, coauthor of one of the most widely used elementary
> physics textbooks, died of cardiac arrest on 2 April 2010 in Maple
> Falls, Washington.

> See:http://ptonline.aip.org/journals/doc/PHTOAD-ft/vol_64/iss_1/66_1.shtml
I am sorry to hear that.
I learned Introductory Physics from Halliday and Resnick. It is
a very good text.
Is Resnick still around?

Sam Wormley

Jan 5, 2011, 8:20:42 AM1/5/11

Robert Resnick co-authored the article that I linked above.