New adhesive device could let humans walk on walls

Mike Jr

Feb 1, 2010, 10:57:07 PM2/1/10
"The device consists of a flat plate patterned with holes, each on the
order of microns (one-millionth of a meter). A bottom plate holds a
liquid reservoir, and in the middle is another porous layer. An
electric field applied by a common 9-volt battery pumps water through
the device and causes droplets to squeeze through the top layer. The
surface tension of the exposed droplets makes the device grip another
surface -- much the way two wet glass slides stick together."

http://www.news.cornell.edu/stories/Feb10/SteenAdhesion.html

Another childhood dream within reach.

--Mike Jr

Ste

Feb 2, 2010, 10:10:56 AM2/2/10

Have you never heard of a glass sucker?! If I remember correctly, the
Mythbusters also scaled a glass building working on a similar
principle of suction.

Mike Jr

Feb 2, 2010, 10:51:32 AM2/2/10

Yes, I think I saw some show where a guy used vacuum gloves to climb
the outside of a glass building.

In principle, the Cornell device need not be flat and might work on
surfaces other then very clean glass. Also, its appeal is that it is
easy to stick and unstick unlike a suction cup. A 9 volt battery is
also lighter than a vacuum generating motor and its power supply if
you were inclined to take that approach.

The Cornell device exhibits finesse and offers the potential of
working on a variety of surfaces. After all, Spider-man didn't just
climb glass buildings.

--Mike Jr.

eric gisse

Feb 2, 2010, 11:17:35 AM2/2/10
Ste wrote:

Which did not work.

Sam Wormley

Feb 2, 2010, 12:39:14 PM2/2/10

Gecko -- Casimir effect

Mike Jr

Feb 2, 2010, 12:55:29 PM2/2/10

Neat, isn't it?

--Mike Jr.

Sam Wormley

Feb 2, 2010, 1:09:32 PM2/2/10

Nanotechnology making use of the Casimir effect has no need of
batteries or pumps.

Ste

Feb 2, 2010, 5:48:22 PM2/2/10

It's certainly a nice refinement of the basic principle, that's for
sure.