Uncleal EOTVOS did you read about this experiment: Stone 1973

1 view

Jan Panteltje

Oct 28, 2000, 9:22:21 AM10/28/00
http://earth.agu.org/grl/articles/1999GL010421/node2.html

This is actually about differential gravitometers, while I was looking for
things on my mass wave detector :-)

The experiment was never done, but could be done with cheap equipment.
Somehow it should show a difference with the substances you have in mind
for EOTVOS?

They drop 2 objects, and use a laser interferometer to see fringes if the
things folow different path (if I understand it right), to get any vertical
gradient in gravity.

I think if the objects follow a different path due to any reason you get
fringes.

Regards
Jan

Uncle Al

Oct 28, 2000, 11:44:59 AM10/28/00

Jan Panteltje wrote:

> http://earth.agu.org/grl/articles/1999GL010421/node2.html
>
> This is actually about differential gravitometers, while I was looking for
> things on my mass wave detector :-)

You need longer baseline separation and more senstitivity for matter
waves. Look at Caltech LIGO numbers. With two kilometer arms and 50
passes the differential displacement detected is expected to be less
than an atomic diameter,
http://www.ligo-wa.caltech.edu/news/0010han/. Do you think 60 Hz
power distribution cares where your tap is located vs nodes and
antinodes for local distribution? (Calcualte the cost of pumping out
the arms to hard vacuum.)

> The experiment was never done, but could be done with cheap equipment.
> Somehow it should show a difference with the substances you have in mind
> for EOTVOS?
>
> They drop 2 objects, and use a laser interferometer to see fringes if the
> things folow different path (if I understand it right), to get any vertical
> gradient in gravity.
>
> I think if the objects follow a different path due to any reason you get
> fringes.

Won't work. Short falls won't do it for you - sensitivity. Long
falls (Bremen drop tower) won't do it for you either - tidal forces
would be larger than any Equivalence Princple violations. Look at the
hoops Dr. Faller at U/Colorado jumps through in his single falling
mass gravimeter - which isn't nearly sensitive enough for Eotvos
purposes. He worries about atom impacts in hard vacuum upon his
falling masses - which are solid corner cubes. And with two
closely-spaced masses to minimize tidal forces you have to worry their
mutual gravitational attraction, which at 6.673 x 10^(-11) m^3/kg-s^2
will eat you as the differential effect you seek is minimized by the
small lever arm.

Adelberger's rigs are state of the art for performing chiral Eotvos
experiments, good to one in 10^13. The calorimetric variation should
be good to one in 10^15 (given a custom-built dual differental DSC
detector block). Push come to shove (I make no apologies), a chiral
Eotvos experiment with enantiomeric single crystals of lithium iodate
(bismuth triborate for a different lattice symmetry class) is the
benchmark heterodox probe of the Equivalence Principle,
http://www.mazepath.com/uncleal/eotvos.htm The next best cheap
asymmetric crystal available in both enantiomers is quartz, and it
isn't very good because of conflicting helix handednesss as explained
in my proposal, plus literature references laying it out with
pictures.

--
Uncle Al
http://www.mazepath.com/uncleal/

Jan Panteltje

Oct 28, 2000, 1:43:20 PM10/28/00
On a sunny day (Sat, 28 Oct 2000 15:44:59 GMT) it happened Uncle Al
<Uncl...@hate.spam.net> wrote in <39FAF46A...@hate.spam.net>:

OK, that clears some things up for me.
Regards
Jan