WHAT’S NEW Robert L. Park Friday, 27 Apr 07 Washington, DC

Sam Wormley

Apr 27, 2007, 5:53:21 PM4/27/07
WHAT’S NEW Robert L. Park Friday, 27 Apr 07 Washington, DC

1. THE HABITABLE ZONE: THE GOOD NEWS IS THEY’RE NOT COMING HERE. Humans,
fragile self-replicating chemical factories, are trapped on a tiny planet
for a few dozen orbits about an undistinguished star among countless other
stars in one of billions of galaxies. And yet, these insignificant specks
have the audacity to imagine they can figure it all out - and maybe they
can. The most compelling scientific quest is to find life to which
Earthlings are not related. The first great discovery of this Century was
to confirm that other stars have planets - lots of them. This week
European astronomers found a planet in the habitable zone of Gliese 581, a
red dwarf in the constellation Libra. The public was thrilled. We can
learn a lot from here, and it’s going to be exciting. Each year I ask my
class of freshman physics majors if they think humans will visit another
star someday. Most say yes, so we take a few minutes of each class to
plan the mission. What’s the closest star? How long are you prepared to
travel? How big will the spaceship have to be? How will you pass the
time? Anyway, we’ll be able to travel much faster some day, so maybe 50
years. There’s always one that insists there’s gotta be a basketball
court. Near the end of the semester they calculate the kinetic energy of
the spacecraft to make the trip in 50 years. Hmmm, the velocity is
squared. Maybe, they conclude, we could just find a way to exchange e-
mails.

2. WARHEADS: THE GOOD NEWS IS THAT NUCLEAR STOCKPILES ARE AGING. It was
just five years ago that the Nuclear Posture Review, was leaked
http://bobpark.physics.umd.edu/WN02/wn031502.html . It was a Pentagon
report calling for development of a new class of small nuclear weapons to
blur the distinction between nuclear and conventional weapons. Public
exposure killed the plan. But Dr. Strangelove never gives up. The Bush
administration is again pushing for a new generation of nuclear weapons;
this time it’s the Reliable Replacement Warhead, an idea that’s been
around for 30 years. In fact, having spent billions on a Science-Based
Stockpile Stewardship Program, there’s no need for the RRW. U.S. warheads
will retain their capability for another century.

3. MISSION ACCOMPLISHED: IRAQ NO LONGER POSES A NUCLEAR THREAT. We
invaded Iraq because of their weapons of mass destruction. It worked
perfectly. Iraq hasn’t had a nuclear weapon since. But now we learn that
there’s a nuclear threat brewing across the border in Iran.
Unfortunately, our troops are sort of tied up. We need more missile
defense sites like the ones we built in Alaska and California to deal with
the missile threat from North Korea. Of course that missile defense is
still being tested and we don’t actually turn it on, but we think we
could. It worked anyway. North Korea still doesn’t have a missile, or a
warhead. To take care of the Iran threat we want to install missile
defenses in Eastern Europe like the one that doesn’t work in Alaska.

THE UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND.
Opinions are the author's and not necessarily shared by the
University of Maryland, but they should be.
---

Traveler

Apr 27, 2007, 7:13:03 PM4/27/07
On Fri, 27 Apr 2007 21:53:21 GMT, Sam Wormley <swor...@mchsi.com>
wrote:

>WHAT’S NEW Robert L. Park Friday, 27 Apr 07 Washington, DC
>
>1. THE HABITABLE ZONE: THE GOOD NEWS IS THEY’RE NOT COMING HERE. Humans,
>fragile self-replicating chemical factories, are trapped on a tiny planet
>for a few dozen orbits about an undistinguished star among countless other
>stars in one of billions of galaxies. And yet, these insignificant specks
>have the audacity to imagine they can figure it all out - and maybe they
>can. The most compelling scientific quest is to find life to which
>Earthlings are not related. The first great discovery of this Century was
>to confirm that other stars have planets - lots of them. This week
>European astronomers found a planet in the habitable zone of Gliese 581, a
>red dwarf in the constellation Libra. The public was thrilled. We can
>learn a lot from here, and it’s going to be exciting. Each year I ask my
>class of freshman physics majors if they think humans will visit another
>star someday. Most say yes, so we take a few minutes of each class to
>plan the mission. What’s the closest star? How long are you prepared to
>travel? How big will the spaceship have to be? How will you pass the
>time? Anyway, we’ll be able to travel much faster some day, so maybe 50
>years. There’s always one that insists there’s gotta be a basketball
>court. Near the end of the semester they calculate the kinetic energy of
>the spacecraft to make the trip in 50 years. Hmmm, the velocity is
>squared. Maybe, they conclude, we could just find a way to exchange e-
>mails.

This is so much bullshit. Imagine a spacecraft traveling at half the
speed of light, just for grin. Now this is much faster than any
bullet. Now consider all the little dust particles and pebbles that
populate so-called empty space. Imagine your speeding spacecraft
flying right through those dust particles. Not a pretty picture.

Now there is no need to despair about the possibility of ever visiting
star systems and galaxies hundreds of light years away. As soon as
physicists (including you, Samantha, ahahaha...) get their heads out
of their asses and realize that distance (space) is an illusion, we
will start to develop technologies that will allow us to travel from
anywhere to anywhere almost instantly.

Louis Savain

Nasty Little Truth About Space:
http://www.rebelscience.org/Crackpots/nasty.htm#Space

BioFreak

Apr 28, 2007, 2:48:22 PM4/28/07
On Fri, 27 Apr 2007 21:53:21 GMT, Sam Wormley wrote:

> This week
> European astronomers found a planet in the habitable zone of Gliese 581, a
> red dwarf in the constellation Libra.

I have looked around a bit, well, perhaps 15 years ago,
to see what they mean by "habitable zone." Neither
then, nor now I see serious glances made. Just one
stupid Westerner after another make comments on this,
none serious enough for a physics student, let alone a
researcher.

Even life more or less in the manner that we are put
together is possible in countless more ways than
they're "looking for." There are a lot of elements in
the periodic table. I guess we just have to wait until
Moslems begin to deal with this matter. Fuck the
Westerners while they're the ones who're "somebody" for
us.

--

"sartarAshi ro az sare kachale mA mikhAd yAd
begireh."