Is it possible to achieve the Planck temperature in a lab?

NoXenu1

Nov 15, 2010, 2:45:56 AM11/15/10
The plank temp (approx 10^32) is supposed to be the hottest
temperature anything can get before the laws of physics break down.

1) Is it possible to get (close) to this temperature in a lab?

2) What would be the consequences if some we somehow recreate this
temperature artificially?

Matt

Nov 15, 2010, 3:46:45 AM11/15/10

Do some math first.

How much stuff do you want at 10^32 degrees?

At what pressure?

How much volume do you need to contain the desired amount of stuff at
that temperature and pressure?

What is the heat loss from a spherical volume of that size and
temperature?

At what frequency is the black body radiation at that temperature?

How would you shield people in the lab, or in the next county, from
that radiation?

Puppet_Sock

Nov 15, 2010, 10:51:22 AM11/15/10
On Nov 15, 2:45 am, NoXenu1 <amitabh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The plank temp (approx 10^32) is supposed to be the hottest
> temperature anything can get before the laws of physics break down.

Says who?

> 1) Is it possible to get (close) to this temperature in a lab?

No. It's not even possible in a super nova. Not by a huge stretch.

> 2) What would be the consequences if some we somehow recreate this
> temperature artificially?

Depends. Since it would require a massive increase in technical
ability, it's pretty difficult to say.
Socks

Sam Wormley

Nov 15, 2010, 11:09:46 AM11/15/10

1.41679 x 10^32 Kelvins

Ref: http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-the-highest-possible-temperature.htm

"The Planck temperature is reached in this universe under at least two
separate conditions. The first occurred only once, one Planck time
(10-43 seconds) after the Big Bang. At this time, the universe existed
in an almost perfectly ordered state, with near-zero entropy. It may
have even been a singularity, a physical object that can be described by
only three quantities; mass, angular momentum, and electric charge. But
the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics insists that the entropy (disorderliness)
of a closed system must always increase. This means that the early
universe had only one direction to go � that of higher entropy � and
underwent a near-instantaneous breakdown, momentarily producing the
Planck temperature.

"The second set of conditions capable of producing the Planck
temperature are those occurring at the final moments of a black hole's
life. Black holes evaporate slowly due to quantum tunneling by matter
adjacent to the black hole's surface. This effect is so slight that a
typical black hole would take 1060 years to radiate away all its mass,
but smaller black holes, like those with the mass of a small mountain,
may take only 1010 years to evaporate. As a black hole loses mass and
surface area, it begins to radiate energy more rapidly, thereby heating
up, and at the final instant of its existence, radiates away energy so
quickly that it momentarily achieves the Planck temperature".

OG

Nov 15, 2010, 2:30:51 PM11/15/10
On 15/11/2010 16:09, Sam Wormley wrote:

For clarity - wouldn't want people to think that the theory is that it
only took about 1000 years for BH's to evaporate.

> This effect is so slight that a

> typical black hole would take 10^60 years to radiate away all its mass,

> but smaller black holes, like those with the mass of a small mountain,

> may take only 10^10 years to evaporate.

bert

Nov 15, 2010, 2:38:03 PM11/15/10
On Nov 15, 11:09 am, Sam Wormley <sworml...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 11/15/10 1:45 AM, NoXenu1 wrote:
>
> > The plank temp (approx 10^32) is supposed to be the hottest
> > temperature anything can get before the laws of physics break down.
>
> > 1) Is it possible to get (close) to this temperature in a lab?
>
> > 2) What would be the consequences if some we somehow recreate this
> > temperature artificially?
>
>     1.41679 x 10^32 Kelvins
>
> Ref:http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-the-highest-possible-temperature.htm
>
> "The Planck temperature is reached in this universe under at least two
> separate conditions. The first occurred only once, one Planck time
> (10-43 seconds) after the Big Bang. At this time, the universe existed
> in an almost perfectly ordered state, with near-zero entropy. It may
> have even been a singularity, a physical object that can be described by
> only three quantities; mass, angular momentum, and electric charge. But
> the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics insists that the entropy (disorderliness)
> of a closed system must always increase. This means that the early
> universe had only one direction to go that of higher entropy and

> underwent a near-instantaneous breakdown, momentarily producing the
> Planck temperature.
>
> "The second set of conditions capable of producing the Planck
> temperature are those occurring at the final moments of a black hole's
> life. Black holes evaporate slowly due to quantum tunneling by matter
> adjacent to the black hole's surface. This effect is so slight that a
> typical black hole would take 1060 years to radiate away all its mass,
> but smaller black holes, like those with the mass of a small mountain,
> may take only 1010 years to evaporate. As a black hole loses mass and
> surface area, it begins to radiate energy more rapidly, thereby heating
> up, and at the final instant of its existence, radiates away energy so
> quickly that it momentarily achieves the Planck temperature".

Sam possibly a lasars can have such a high temp. after all we use
lasars as a fuse for fusion,and its the key to my fusion machine
TreBert

Sam Wormley

Nov 15, 2010, 3:42:17 PM11/15/10

Are you equating 3.6 x 10^9 K with 1.41679 x 10^32 K, Herb?

Record Set for Hottest Temperature on Earth: 3.6 Billion Degrees
in Lab. http://www.livescience.com/technology/060308_sandia_z.html

Androcles

Nov 15, 2010, 6:42:51 PM11/15/10

"OG" <ow...@gwynnefamily.org.uk> wrote in message

For clarity - the effect of gravity inside a BH is so typically fuckin'
enormous that time stops and the time at the Schwartzchild radius
at the Rindler horizon is only a 1000 seconds. Wouldn't want people
to think, it is much better if they hallucinate, run off at the mouth and
drag their knuckles.

Matt

Nov 16, 2010, 12:32:06 AM11/16/10

http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100823132151AAhuAmr
4.3e+28 eV per photon of black body temperature radiation.
http://metricunitconversion.globefeed.com/Energy_Conversion.asp
1.9 megawatt-hours per photon.

http://www.industcards.com/top-100-pt-1.htm
The World's Largest Power Plants
No 1 - Three Gorges 18,460 MW

Your experiment would use up the entire output of this plant by
emitting 1000 photons per hour or about one photon every three
seconds.

Why do you want to make the laws of physics break down?

Autymn D. C.

Nov 17, 2010, 4:47:05 PM11/17/10

My post:
Well this is sheer bullshit; kelvins are not degrees, and colliders
regularly get petakelvins. 2 GK comes out to at least 258 keV.

Sam Wormley

Nov 17, 2010, 5:59:56 PM11/17/10