String theory (holography) --> HTc superconductivity

Charlie Stromeyer Jr

Jul 20, 2009, 7:12:14 PM7/20/09
Back in 1997, when I was working at Harvard University, I briefly
chatted with a physics professor there named Cumrun Vafa about the
possibility of using ideas from string theory physics to try to
explain the enigma of HTc superconductivity.

I thought of doing this because various preprints allege a possible
"non-trivial" relation between HTc superconductivity and gravity:

http://arxiv.org/find/gr-qc/1/au:+Modanese_G/0/1/0/all/0/1

http://arxiv.org/abs/cond-mat/0010399

Neither Cumrun nor I made any progress with this idea, but now another
researcher at Harvard University has applied ideas from holography to
low energy condensed matter physics in an attempt to explain HTc
superconductivity:

http://www.nature.com/news/2009/090719/full/news.2009.699.html

WARNING: This is merely a news article that is too vague to be
understandable.

Also, I just found this preprint of lectures about holography applied
to superconductivity:

http://arxiv.org/abs/0904.1975