Discovery of the axion?

Edward C. Jones

Jan 2, 2007, 3:28:31 PM1/2/07
Recently I saw an announcement that the axion had been discovered. See
"http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2006-12/uab-ltf120606.php". What
do you all think about this?

Fred Diether

Jan 6, 2007, 11:31:21 AM1/6/07
"Edward C. Jones" <edcj...@comcast.net> wrote in message

> Recently I saw an announcement that the axion had been discovered. See
> "http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2006-12/uab-ltf120606.php".
> What do you all think about this?

I like this kind of lower energy experimental research. I think it
indicates that perhaps something was missed in the low energy spectrum
which goes along with our current research which indicates that there
could be more than just one kind of axion and they are perhaps not what
people think they are.

http://www.iop.org/EJ/abstract/0954-3899/34/1/009

The original paper at the link above is available free right now for
those that are interested.

FrediFizzx

Quantum Vacuum Charge papers;
http://www.vacuum-physics.com/QVC/quantum_vacuum_charge.pdf
or postscript
http://www.vacuum-physics.com/QVC/quantum_vacuum_charge.ps
http://www.arxiv.org/abs/physics/0601110
http://www.vacuum-physics.com

Dan Riley

Jan 8, 2007, 3:05:37 PM1/8/07

I pretty much agree with these remarks by a colleague:

http://superweak.wordpress.com/2006/12/07/no-axions-for-you/

Also see the comments here:

http://scienceblogs.com/principles/2006/12/axions_and_the_problem_of_eure.php

The peaks are consistent with statistical fluctuations, and the
statistical analysis in the paper is woefully inadequate. I don't
consider the paper convincing evidence of a discovery.

-dan

Igor Khavkine

Jan 9, 2007, 5:56:09 PM1/9/07
On 2007-01-08, Dan Riley <d...@mail.lns.cornell.edu> wrote:
> "Edward C. Jones" <edcj...@comcast.net> writes:
>> Recently I saw an announcement that the axion had been discovered. See
>> "http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2006-12/uab-ltf120606.php". What
>> do you all think about this?
>
> I pretty much agree with these remarks by a colleague:
>
> http://superweak.wordpress.com/2006/12/07/no-axions-for-you/

Note that the University of Buffalo press release (which started the
media flurry) is no longer available. It was pulled just a couple of
days after it was first posted on the U of Buffalo website. You can find
the (now defunct) link in the above blog article. I think we can safely
chalk this up to an overenthusiastic university press department.

Igor