Currently on topic for USAians - Canadian advice to cure a hangover!

La N

Jul 5, 2007, 12:10:08 PM7/5/07
http://www.thestar.com/printArticle/213732

Cure for hangover? It's all in your head TheStar.com - living - Cure for
hangover? It's all in your head
Plenty of water, greasy breakfast rate high among favoured post-party fixes

May 15, 2007
Adrian Ma
toronto star

It's late in the afternoon, and I awake to a shrieking alarm. I swing my
right arm across the bed and slap at the offending clock radio. It takes me
full seconds to realize the clock isn't on. This piercing shriek is in my
head. As well, my mouth is dry, my eyes are allergic to the light and I feel
both hungry and queasy.

Year after year, this has been the end result of my Victoria Day long
weekend - battling a king-sized hangover that feels like a Smashing Pumpkins
reunion tour in my brain.

Maybe it's that first flush of perfect cottage weather, or the three-day
weekend, or the idea of feeling invited to the Queen's birthday. Whatever
the reason, it's easy to overindulge in the drink during May Two-Four.

This year, I told myself, it would be different. So began my search for
hangover cures.

According to the chapter "Losing the Will to Live: Surviving the Hangover,"
from Notes on a Beermart by Nicholas Pashley, people have been devising
hangover remedies since the dawn of drinking. Ancient Greeks believed
wearing a garland of parsley on your head protected you from the ill effects
of excess boozing. Another cure from medieval times involved eating raw eel
and bitter almonds.

But what are the tried, tested and true remedies of modern-day drinkers in
Toronto? I took to the streets to find out.

a.. The most popular suggestion was to drink plenty of water, Gatorade, or
fruit juice before sleeping to wake up headache-free. There's definitely
scientific and common-sense merit to this. According to the website
HowStuffWorks, the body's organs become dehydrated after processing alcohol,
so they draw water from the brain resulting in headaches. Replenishing
yourself while drinking, and before going to bed, will help prevent intense
dehydration.

a.. Eating a large, greasy breakfast, like eggs and home fries, was the next
most common tip. While scarfing down a lumberjack special in the morning
won't likely do much but further unsettle your stomach, eating something
fatty before you drink can actually be helpful, says HowStuffWorks. Fatty
food sticks to the stomach's lining longer, and slows the speed at which
your body absorbs alcohol, which allows for smoother sailing throughout the
night. Eggs also contain a good shot of cysteine, an amino acid that breaks
down hangover-causing toxins left in your body after consuming alcohol.

a.. A more controversial tip is the "hair of a dog" cure - keep drinking.
Keren Hoyle, bartender at The Churchmouse and Firkin pub on Church St. near
Wellesley St., told me her No. 1 morning-after remedy is a Caesar, the spicy
tomato, clam juice and vodka drink.

"I also like to add a splash of red wine or beer," she says. The idea is to
curb the withdrawal symptoms by feeding the body more alcohol.

Some people I spoke with swear by it, and others dismissed it as destructive
behaviour. There's no scientific data to suggest drinking more booze helps
your body cope with excessive drinking the night before, so proceed with
caution.

a.. There are also so-called anti-hangover pills available over the Internet
and in some pharmacies. Chaser is one such product, and its website claims
that these red pills are "the one hangover cure that really works!" They
contain charcoal and calcium carbonate, which supposedly help absorb the
hangover causing alcohol toxins. But none of the pharmacies I went to had
this product or a similar anti-hangover pill.

One pharmacist informed me that anti-hangover pills aren't particularly
profitable in Canada, and consequently, can be difficult to find.

I searched for a Chaser equivalent at a local supplements store. Gregory
Bagattchouk, a clerk at Supplements Plus Health Products on Church St., said
any health product rich in antioxidants helps rid the body of toxins and
free radicals.

"I like to squeeze a few lemons into a cup and drink it with water," he says
of his belief vitamin C provides a boost to the liver's metabolism.

His co-worker, Ron Ahl, dismissed the idea that any single pill or
supplement can prevent the effects of a hangover. "There's no such thing as
a miracle cure, otherwise, someone would be very rich and we'd all be
alcoholics," says Ahl.

The British Medical Journal supports that position.

In 2005, following extensive research, it was determined that despite myriad
home remedies and anti-hangover products with supposedly successful clinical
trials, there is "no compelling evidence to suggest any intervention is
effective for preventing or treating alcohol hangover."

So - unfortunately - the only safeguard is to drink in moderation. Just like
my parents used to tell me.

But then again, Mark Twain once said that, "sometimes, too much drink is
barely enough."

Maybe May Two-Four is one of those sometimes.

deem...@aol.com

Jul 5, 2007, 1:00:09 PM7/5/07

Never sober up....no hangover....

Jeff Crowell

Jul 5, 2007, 3:42:36 PM7/5/07
Nilita wrote:
>> http://www.thestar.com/printArticle/213732
>>
>> Cure for hangover? It's all in your head TheStar.com - living - Cure for
>> hangover? It's all in your head
>> Plenty of water, greasy breakfast rate high among favoured post-party
>> fixes

2-3 aspirin or ibuprofen and 8-12 ounces of water before bed... never fails.

Jeff

Eugene Griessel

Jul 5, 2007, 4:14:56 PM7/5/07
"Jeff Crowell" <jeffDOT...@hp.com> wrote:

A salt tablet or two helps as well.

Either that or Quercus glandium spiritus 30c.

Eugene L Griessel

Nobody will ever win the battle of the sexes.
There's too much fraternizing with the enemy.

La N

Jul 5, 2007, 5:12:45 PM7/5/07

"Eugene Griessel" <eugene@dynagen..co..za> wrote in message

>>2-3 aspirin or ibuprofen and 8-12 ounces of water before bed... never
>>fails.
>
> A salt tablet or two helps as well.
>
> Either that or Quercus glandium spiritus 30c.

If all fails, here's a nice recipe:

Canadian Hangover

1 1/2 oz Amaretto Di Saronno® liqueur
1/2 oz Godiva® chocolate liqueur
2 oz Kahlua® coffee liqueur
2 oz milk
5 drops vanilla extract
1/2 oz whipped cream

Stir ingredients (except cream) together in a highball glass filled with ice
cubes, and serve. Top with whipped cream, and serve.

Serve in: Highball Glass

15.0% (30 proof)

> Eugene L Griessel

- nil

> Nobody will ever win the battle of the sexes.
> There's too much fraternizing with the enemy.

An intellectual is a person who's found one thing that's more interesting
than sex. -- Aldous Huxley

deem...@aol.com

Jul 5, 2007, 8:04:45 PM7/5/07

> If all fails, here's a nice recipe:
>
> Canadian Hangover
>
> 1 1/2 oz Amaretto Di Saronno® liqueur
> 1/2 oz Godiva® chocolate liqueur
> 2 oz Kahlua® coffee liqueur
> 2 oz milk
> 5 drops vanilla extract
> 1/2 oz whipped cream
>
> Stir ingredients (except cream) together in a highball glass filled with ice
> cubes, and serve. Top with whipped cream, and serve.
>
> Serve in: Highball Glass
>
> 15.0% (30 proof)

That's an awful lot of trouble to go through when another beer
will do the same thing......

> > Eugene L Griessel
>
> - nil
>

> > Nobody will ever win the battle of the sexes.
> > There's too much fraternizing with the enemy.
>
> An intellectual is a person who's found one thing that's more interesting

> than sex. -- Aldous Huxley- Hide quoted text -

Eugene Griessel

Jul 6, 2007, 12:58:17 AM7/6/07
"La N" <nilita20...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Canadian Hangover
>
>1 1/2 oz Amaretto Di SaronnoŽ liqueur
>1/2 oz GodivaŽ chocolate liqueur
>2 oz KahluaŽ coffee liqueur

>2 oz milk
>5 drops vanilla extract
>1/2 oz whipped cream
>

>Stir ingredients (except cream) together in a highball glass filled with ice
>cubes, and serve. Top with whipped cream, and serve.

Sounds like the sort of expensive drink one would be served in a cheap
brothel.

There's always the piskie highball - 1 part cold lard, a portion of
raw chopped liver, 2 oz of raw tripe, 3 tablespoons strawberry jam
mixed with 6 oz cold coffee and garnished with a live hedgehog.

Eugene L Griessel

The difference between a politician and a snail is
that a snail leaves its slime behind.

La N

Jul 6, 2007, 7:43:18 AM7/6/07

> "La N" <nilita20...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>Canadian Hangover
>>
>>1 1/2 oz Amaretto Di SaronnoŽ liqueur
>>1/2 oz GodivaŽ chocolate liqueur
>>2 oz KahluaŽ coffee liqueur
>>2 oz milk
>>5 drops vanilla extract
>>1/2 oz whipped cream
>>

>>Stir ingredients (except cream) together in a highball glass filled with
>>ice
>>cubes, and serve. Top with whipped cream, and serve.
>
> Sounds like the sort of expensive drink one would be served in a cheap
> brothel.

Mmm ... sounds like our Eugene knows something that rest of us maybe don't
know ...%)

> There's always the piskie highball - 1 part cold lard, a portion of
> raw chopped liver, 2 oz of raw tripe, 3 tablespoons strawberry jam
> mixed with 6 oz cold coffee and garnished with a live hedgehog.

**BARF!!**

> Eugene L Griessel

- nil

> The difference between a politician and a snail is
> that a snail leaves its slime behind.

"Politicians are interested in people. Not that this is always a virtue.
Fleas are interested in dogs."
-- PJ O'Rourke

Eugene Griessel

Jul 6, 2007, 8:42:07 AM7/6/07
"La N" <nilita20...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>> Sounds like the sort of expensive drink one would be served in a cheap
>> brothel.
>
>Mmm ... sounds like our Eugene knows something that rest of us maybe don't
>know ...%)

If they have been sailors - they have been in a brothel. Or brothels.
Unless their proclivities lay towards the don't ask don't tell
fraternity. The ideal run ashore is a brothel 400 yards from the dock
gate where one can get laid, pissed, robbed, arrested, have a knife
fight and get chased by the local militia all the way back to the
ship. And then have to be treated for the clap a week later. That's
a sailors life before the stupid PC crowd got into the bizz.
Brothels range from the high-class where a madam brings you the latest
currently unemployed lady down to the supermarket style ones where all
the ladies congregate in a large hall wearing their fanciest knickers
and nothing else and one wanders around, picks the lady of one's
choice - pays for her at a till and enters a small cubicle where a
timer immediately starts to count down the 15 minutes you have to
consumate the transaction as soon as the door shuts.

>> There's always the piskie highball - 1 part cold lard, a portion of
>> raw chopped liver, 2 oz of raw tripe, 3 tablespoons strawberry jam
>> mixed with 6 oz cold coffee and garnished with a live hedgehog.
>

>**BARF!!**

Most hangover cures are designed to induce extreme nausea (Arved
excused here) as a sort of puritanical punishment for daring to get
sloshed.

Eugene L Griessel

Amnesty. The state's magnanimity to those offenders it would be too
expensive to punish.

La N

Jul 6, 2007, 9:55:48 AM7/6/07

> "La N" <nilita20...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

>>> There's always the piskie highball - 1 part cold lard, a portion of
>>> raw chopped liver, 2 oz of raw tripe, 3 tablespoons strawberry jam
>>> mixed with 6 oz cold coffee and garnished with a live hedgehog.
>>

>>**BARF!!**
>
> Most hangover cures are designed to induce extreme nausea (Arved
> excused here) as a sort of puritanical punishment for daring to get
> sloshed.

I can count myself (in my crazier youth) among those who, on knees, bent
over the porcelain goddess praying for relief, swore she would never ever
drink again. Funny how you forget those vows once the next weekend rolls
around ...

> Eugene L Griessel

- nil

> Amnesty. The state's magnanimity to those offenders it would be too
> expensive to punish.

"Don't drink water, fish fuck in it" --- W. C. Fields

TMOliver

Jul 6, 2007, 11:07:24 AM7/6/07

"La N" <nilita20...@yahoo.com> wrote...

> "Eugene Griessel" <eugene@dynagen..co..za> wrote ...
>> "La N" <nilita20...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Canadian Hangover
>
>1 1/2 oz Amaretto Di SaronnoŽ liqueur
>1/2 oz GodivaŽ chocolate liqueur
>2 oz KahluaŽ coffee liqueur
>2 oz milk
>5 drops vanilla extract
>1/2 oz whipped cream
>

>Stir ingredients (except cream) together in a highball glass filled with
>ice
>cubes, and serve. Top with whipped cream, and serve.

>>>**BARF!!**
>>
>> Most hangover cures are designed to induce extreme nausea (Arved
>> excused here) as a sort of puritanical punishment for daring to get
>> sloshed.
>
> I can count myself (in my crazier youth) among those who, on knees, bent
> over the porcelain goddess praying for relief, swore she would never ever
> drink again. Funny how you forget those vows once the next weekend rolls
> around ...

I draw some conclusions from the above debate....

a. Any saloon which would offer or barman who would mix a vile after dinner
potion along the lines of a "Canadian Hangover", no hangover cure at all,
simply a near sure fire inducer thereof, is not one in which I would drink
or one whom I might trust to blend a libation. That's simply plumb nasty,
especially the vanilla extract part. Amaretto & Godiva are anything but
complimentary, and vanilla extract hurts both of them...

Try:
5 ounces whole milk (well-chilled
1 teaspoon castor sugar or 1/2 ounce simple syrup
1.25 ounces bar (cheap) brandy
Shake well in a iced cocktail shaker.
Pour in a tall slender glass (w/o ice)
Dust w/nutmeg

The traditional "Brandy Milk Punch" , a classic Winter Morning
tipple..."Bloody Mary for a Cold Day"

Leaving out the sugar/syrup and using a single flavored liqueur (but not
anisette or citrus flavored ones) occasionally works, i.e., Amaretto,
Godiva, Kahlua, often much, much better than those nasty "cream" drinks
which contain milk so heavily pasteurized/radiated as to remind me of
Carnation Evap or Eagle Condensed ("Small boat sailor's cream").

Dark Rum or Bourbon can sub in for Brandy.

I suspect that Gene and I have been to a few of the same brothels, back in
the days when either unable to afford the service charge or unwilling to
expose myself to the apparent risks associated therefrom, I simply sat
around drinking small beers. The "Blue Parrot" (no name, only a brilliant
neon representation) in Villa Acuna, Mexico was my favorite as a teenager

As for hangover cures, the kind you know you're going to get when you wake
up to relieve the watch and find the ship has gotten underway and is rolling
badly in a heavy sea - but you are still in bed at home or maybe so, your
actual location being unclear, but hopefully not in an embrace with a
"Two-Bagger, a woman so homely that you've put a paper sack over her head
and added a second over your own to prevent her recognizing you at a later
date - the only worse fate, to awaken clutching a "Coyote Woman", best to be
described in another entry in the log.

Having not only knelt to pay obeisance to the porcelain altar, I have also
clutched a street lamp post or two, while leaning over to call out for Ralph
or Earl who might be resting in the gutter.....

Take a chilled beer mug. Add 8 ounces or so of cold "light" beer (about the
only time to drink such). Add a few ounces of chilled Bloody Mary Mix.
Drink quickly. Belch loudly or worse.

TMO

La N

Jul 6, 2007, 11:10:17 AM7/6/07

"TMOliver" <tmoliv...@hot.rr.comFIX> wrote in message

> I suspect that Gene and I have been to a few of the same brothels, back in
> the days when either unable to afford the service charge or unwilling to
> expose myself to the apparent risks associated therefrom, I simply sat
> around drinking small beers. The "Blue Parrot" (no name, only a brilliant
> neon representation) in Villa Acuna, Mexico was my favorite as a teenager

Yay! True confessions time!

Since y'all are pretty good writers, I have a good mind to collect and
compile your brothel stories in book form. And, smn denizens, YOU KNOW YOU
HAVE ALL FREQUENTED BROTHELS!!! :) :) :)

Dish, guys, dish!

- nil

Eugene Griessel

Jul 6, 2007, 11:11:24 AM7/6/07
"La N" <nilita20...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I can count myself (in my crazier youth) among those who, on knees, bent
>over the porcelain goddess praying for relief, swore she would never ever
>drink again. Funny how you forget those vows once the next weekend rolls
>around ...

There's the tale of the character who arrives home after a bender - to
be berated by wife for losing his false teeth. She shows no mercy and
throws him out to go and find the teeth. In his haziness all he can
remember is that the party was at a house surrounded by a white picket
fence and it had a golden lavatory. After stumbling about for hours
he comes upon a house, just as the sun is rising, with a white picket
fence. Sitting on the verandah are too characters looking distinctly
worse for wear. He addresses them "Say - has this house got a golden
lavatory?" The one turns to the other and says "Jimmie I think we've
found out who puked into your saxaphone".

Eugene L Griessel

The only thing that hurts more than paying income tax,
is not having to pay income tax.

Eugene Griessel

Jul 6, 2007, 11:29:26 AM7/6/07
"La N" <nilita20...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Yay! True confessions time!
>
>Since y'all are pretty good writers, I have a good mind to collect and
>compile your brothel stories in book form. And, smn denizens, YOU KNOW YOU
>HAVE ALL FREQUENTED BROTHELS!!! :) :) :)
>
>Dish, guys, dish!

The best ones cannot be recalled. You only know about them from your
friends' recollections of what evil you got up to there. I still
stand accused of publicly disporting myself with a lady of fortune in
the ladies loo of a seaside tavern in full view of all customers.
Whether it's true or not I cannot say. I do know I took about 2 days
to sober up and was not popular with the engine room crew for having a
technicolour yawn in the engine control room - and leaving them to
clean it up. You haven't lived till you have woken up in a strange
town face down in the street, clutching a lamppost so that you don't
fall off the earth, with no clue whatsoever as how you came to be in
that place in that condition.

Eugene L Griessel

A fake fortuneteller can be tolerated. But an authentic one should
be shot on sight. Cassandra did not get half the kicking around
she deserved.

Vince

Jul 6, 2007, 2:54:33 PM7/6/07

Dr. Ruth and I were strolling in the Rossebuurt (Red light district) in
Amsterdam When we came upon a curious establishment. Second floor was a
girls in the window brothel First floor was a very modern laundromat
offering one hour service.

Ruth's comment was "well at least they have clean sheets"

Vince

La N

Jul 6, 2007, 3:30:55 PM7/6/07

"Vince" <fir...@firelaw.us> wrote in message

Okay, I geddit Vince ... yer the only good boy in the bunch. Save for TMO
who says he only went in for a drink ...

- nil

TMOliver

Jul 6, 2007, 4:11:25 PM7/6/07

"Vince" <fir...@firelaw.us> wrote ...

> La N wrote:
>> "TMOliver" <tmoliv...@hot.rr.comFIX> wrote in message
>>>
>>> I suspect that Gene and I have been to a few of the same brothels,
>>> back in the days when either unable to afford the service charge or
>>> unwilling to expose myself to the apparent risks associated
>>> therefrom, I simply sat around drinking small beers. The "Blue
>>> Parrot" (no name, only a brilliant neon representation) in Villa
>>> Acuna, Mexico was my favorite as a teenager
>>>

>> Yay! True confessions time!
>>
>> Since y'all are pretty good writers, I have a good mind to collect
>> and compile your brothel stories in book form. And, smn denizens,
>> YOU KNOW YOU HAVE ALL FREQUENTED BROTHELS!!! :) :) :)
>>
>> Dish, guys, dish!
>>

> Dr. Ruth and I were strolling in the Rossebuurt (Red light district) in
> Amsterdam When we came upon a curious establishment. Second floor was a
> girls in the window brothel First floor was a very modern laundromat
> offering one hour service.
>
> Ruth's comment was "well at least they have clean sheets"

Back in '83, we took our daughters, then 16 and 11, on an extensive auto
tour of Northern Europe (stimulated by the inducement that we had free
intermediate lodging available with my sister and brother in law, then young
US Army doctors in Bremerhaven).

Flying into Schipol, we started the tour with a couple of car-less days in
Amsterdam. For the youngest, 48 hours was the limit of her capacity to live
without a Micky D's - later extended by lack of Micky D's. Just off the
Damm, there was a fancy McDonald's cheek by jowl with "The Great American
Sex Store", harder to explain than the women sitting in the windows as we
later hunted for pancakes for a tardy supper.

As for Mexican brothels, in my teenage years in the 50s and perhaps for a
decade thereafter, the last remnant of the "Old West That Was" or at least
an amazing facsimile to scenes from Western movies was the Sunday morning
ritual of chorizo con huevos with the staff, always in the courtyard unless
raining, very traditional y muy autentico. D'ju had to be polite to the
guys with six guns, and not offend those with "bodges" (who were not
necessarily the same men). There were no jamboxes then, jukeboxes were
silenced on Sunday, but guitar players were plentiful and willing to play
for breakfast.

From many the same tiny villages which today's give the US most of its
illegals, the "staff" were mostly teenagers, come North to "work" in the
only available service industry to save money for a "dowry" that allowed
them - some of them at least - to go home and find a husband, the young men
of their home town being quite willing to see a dowry as a greeter asset
than a hymen, "honor" even then an ephemeral quality held in heart and
mind, not physical.

TMO

Vince

Jul 6, 2007, 4:16:08 PM7/6/07

He I went with Dr. Ruth to the Reeperbahn in Hamburg

Very educational

Vince

Andrew Chaplin

Jul 6, 2007, 6:55:31 PM7/6/07
"La N" <nilita20...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

When I were a lad, arrr... <lamp swinging>

There I was in Lahr, 18 years old and full of... well, the usual crap an
18-year-old is full of, and I made the pilgrimage to Tiffany's, the bar all
the newly-arrived Canadians went to, and was duly pestered by the attractive
young women there with the "buy me Piccolo!" line. Even so long after the
institution of the Deutschmark and the end of the black market, the women were
still called "whiskey dollies." There was a room off to the side where, I was
told, for a mere 50 marks one could get a blow job (CAD = 2.4 DM). The whole
set-up struck me as awfully tawdry and excessively expensive (this was not my
first time overseas) and vowed to save my money for when we got to Club Chimo
and the Scotch Club where we might find joyful amateurs among the Germans. I
went back in 1980 while on leave from Cyprus -- no change at Tiffany's.

The next time I read of the "club" was in early 1985 or so. The minister of
defence in Mulroney's new cabinet, Robert Coates, visited Lahr and someone
arranged his schedule to include a visit to the bar. It was in a time of
increasing sensitivity to exploitation of women <blah, blah, blah> and the
visit failed the Globe & Mail test back home. The minister resigned. There
being a healthy concentration of wags in Lahr, it was not long before a sign
went up at the entrance to Tiffany's, "NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR HATS OR COATES."
</lamp swinging>
--
Andrew Chaplin
SIT MIHI GLADIUS SICUT SANCTO MARTINO

La N

Jul 6, 2007, 7:13:53 PM7/6/07

"Andrew Chaplin" <ab.ch...@yourfinger.rogers.com> wrote in message

> > There I was in Lahr, 18 years old and full of... well, the usual crap
> an 18-year-old is full of, and I made the pilgrimage to Tiffany's, the bar
> all the newly-arrived Canadians went to, and was duly pestered by the
> attractive young women there with the "buy me Piccolo!" line. Even so long
> after the institution of the Deutschmark and the end of the black market,
> the women were still called "whiskey dollies." There was a room off to the
> side where, I was told, for a mere 50 marks one could get a blow job (CAD
> = 2.4 DM). The whole set-up struck me as awfully tawdry and excessively
> expensive (this was not my first time overseas) and vowed to save my money
> for when we got to Club Chimo and the Scotch Club where we might find
> joyful amateurs among the Germans. I went back in 1980 while on leave from
> Cyprus -- no change at Tiffany's.

jpeg? I need photos and illustrations for my book ...%)

Andrew Chaplin

Jul 7, 2007, 12:36:34 AM7/7/07
"La N" <nilita20...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

In 1975, we did not constantly circulate with cameras in our pockets the way
we now do.

BlackBeard

Jul 7, 2007, 1:15:43 AM7/7/07
On Jul 6, 9:36 pm, "Andrew Chaplin" <ab.chap...@yourfinger.rogers.com>
wrote:

In the late 70's and early 80's many had a standing rule of no photos
(of bar scenes) on liberty... I was single, unattached, but made sure
any pictures I took were always with the permission of the subject.

BB

I guess everybody has some mountain to climb.
It's just fate whether you live in Kansas or Tibet...

La N

Jul 7, 2007, 1:27:04 AM7/7/07

"Andrew Chaplin" <ab.ch...@yourfinger.rogers.com> wrote in message

Well, then ... could you ... ehem ... be a little more graphic .. in a
Penthouse Forum kinda way? .. ;)

- nil

Eugene Griessel

Jul 7, 2007, 3:53:20 AM7/7/07
Vince <fir...@firelaw.us> wrote:

And damned expensive - the booze being priced higher than the sex
mostly. Kastanienallee - a street or two down towards Landingsbrucke
is where the sailors find their relief. Much cheaper. Every pub had
nude - or at the very least topless - waitresses and an interminable
porn movie playing away in the corner. Pre VCR days tis used to be an
8mm projector and a bunch of reels regularly changed by the barman. I
once went into a pub there during one of the coldest Februaries on
record and the heating wasn't quite up to scratch - the ladies were
truly suffering, gave new meaning to the ornithologists idea of "blue
tits". The gals were huddling under blankets and only reluctantly
emerging to take orders.

I seem to recall a price between 15 to 20 marks for a lady and between
9 and 11 marks for a Pilsner was pretty average.

Going back to "Venstertjies" - an example of which Vince described in
an earlier post as being above a laundrette - I seemed to recall that
the ladies occupying some of those could be pretty voracious - if one
approached a millimetre too close they would launch themselves out of
the window and manhandle you into the booth and have their wicked ways
with you - took some strong-armed tactics to escape.

Eugene L Griessel

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.

Fred J. McCall

Jul 7, 2007, 4:06:26 AM7/7/07
"Andrew Chaplin" <ab.ch...@yourfinger.rogers.com> wrote:

:"La N" <nilita20...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

:

Well, we frequently did the 'tourist' thing, but it was considered
REALLY bad form to take a camera to the brothel. Too many guys there
who were going to be married again once we got back to the world...

--
"Before you embark on a journey of revenge dig two graves."

-- Confucius

Andrew Chaplin

Jul 7, 2007, 9:41:20 AM7/7/07
> Well, then ... could you ... ehem ... be a little more graphic .. in a
> Penthouse Forum kinda way? .. ;)

<graphic>

In. Out. [Repeat as necessary.]

</graphic>

Eugene Griessel

Jul 7, 2007, 9:51:54 AM7/7/07
"Andrew Chaplin" <ab.ch...@yourfinger.rogers.com> wrote:

>> Well, then ... could you ... ehem ... be a little more graphic .. in a
>> Penthouse Forum kinda way? .. ;)
>
><graphic>
>
>In. Out. [Repeat as necessary.]
>
></graphic>

Never got to the Up.Down. [Repeat as necessary.]?

Eugene L Griessel

Civilization: Stone age => Bronze age => Iron age => Garbage.

La N

Jul 7, 2007, 10:26:12 AM7/7/07

> "Andrew Chaplin" <ab.ch...@yourfinger.rogers.com> wrote:
>
>>> Well, then ... could you ... ehem ... be a little more graphic .. in a
>>> Penthouse Forum kinda way? .. ;)
>>
>><graphic>
>>
>>In. Out. [Repeat as necessary.]
>>
>></graphic>
>
> Never got to the Up.Down. [Repeat as necessary.]?

LOL!!! Now if your anecdotes were made into a movie, I wonder what the
soundtrack would be .. hmmm ....

> Eugene L Griessel

- nil

> Civilization: Stone age => Bronze age => Iron age => Garbage.

Barbarism is needed every four or five hundred years to bring the world back
to life. Otherwise it would die of civilization. -- de Goncourt

Paul J. Adam

Jul 8, 2007, 7:09:35 AM7/8/07
In message <468e5a4b$0$3102$4c36...@roadrunner.com>, TMOliver
<tmoliv...@hot.rr.comFIX> writes

>As for hangover cures, the kind you know you're going to get when you wake
>up to relieve the watch and find the ship has gotten underway and is rolling
>badly in a heavy sea - but you are still in bed at home or maybe so, your
>actual location being unclear, but hopefully not in an embrace with a
>"Two-Bagger, a woman so homely that you've put a paper sack over her head
>and added a second over your own to prevent her recognizing you at a later
>date - the only worse fate, to awaken clutching a "Coyote Woman", best to be
>described in another entry in the log.

I've heard that described as a "wolf's-head" in UK parlance: where you
wish you could grow a wolf's head, so you could quietly chew off the arm
she's lying on, rather than risk waking her...

--
The nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its
warriors, will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done

Paul J. Adam - mainbox{at}jrwlynch[dot]demon(dot)co<dot>uk

Jack Linthicum

Jul 8, 2007, 7:29:07 AM7/8/07

I got read out in Hong Kong for taking what I thought was a normal
"crowd" shot in the bar of one of "those" places. Lady very severely
read me out, "there are people who do not want their picture taken".
Later got the paranoia when I worked for the Agency, everyone seemed
to want to include me in any street scene or "color" photo.

Paul J. Adam

Jul 8, 2007, 1:20:04 PM7/8/07
In message <tXsji.22030$tB5.19185@edtnps90>, La N
<nilita20...@yahoo.com> writes

>Since y'all are pretty good writers, I have a good mind to collect and
>compile your brothel stories in book form. And, smn denizens, YOU KNOW YOU
>HAVE ALL FREQUENTED BROTHELS!!! :) :) :)

<raises hand>

Er... I haven't?

Not many houses of ill repute available to a trainee infantryman on
Stanford Training Area, and by the time I had the cash and the
opportunity I no longer had the need...

La N

Jul 8, 2007, 1:34:29 PM7/8/07

"Paul J. Adam" <ne...@jrwlynch.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

> In message <tXsji.22030$tB5.19185@edtnps90>, La N
> <nilita20...@yahoo.com> writes
>>Since y'all are pretty good writers, I have a good mind to collect and
>>compile your brothel stories in book form. And, smn denizens, YOU KNOW
>>YOU
>>HAVE ALL FREQUENTED BROTHELS!!! :) :) :)
>
> <raises hand>
>
> Er... I haven't?
>
> Not many houses of ill repute available to a trainee infantryman on
> Stanford Training Area, and by the time I had the cash and the opportunity
> I no longer had the need...

Dismissed!

You don't qualify for my book ...%)

- nil

Eugene Griessel

Jul 8, 2007, 1:38:10 PM7/8/07
"Paul J. Adam" <ne...@jrwlynch.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>In message <tXsji.22030$tB5.19185@edtnps90>, La N
><nilita20...@yahoo.com> writes
>>Since y'all are pretty good writers, I have a good mind to collect and
>>compile your brothel stories in book form. And, smn denizens, YOU KNOW YOU
>>HAVE ALL FREQUENTED BROTHELS!!! :) :) :)
>
><raises hand>
>
>Er... I haven't?
>
>Not many houses of ill repute available to a trainee infantryman on
>Stanford Training Area, and by the time I had the cash and the
>opportunity I no longer had the need...

We weren't referring to poor bloody infantrymen - we were talking
sailors! To the infantry a bagshanty is a place to be stormed and
secured.

Eugene L Griessel

In any organization there will always be one person who knows
exactly what is going on. This person must be fired.

Eugene Griessel

Jul 8, 2007, 1:39:29 PM7/8/07
"La N" <nilita20...@yahoo.com> wrote:

This book - it's a Cock's - er Cook's Tour of Brothels I suppose?

Eugene L Griessel

Guy Fawkes - the last man to enter Parliament with honest
intentions.

La N

Jul 8, 2007, 1:42:49 PM7/8/07

> "La N" <nilita20...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

>>"Paul J. Adam" <ne...@jrwlynch.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
>>> In message <tXsji.22030$tB5.19185@edtnps90>, La N
>>> <nilita20...@yahoo.com> writes
>>>
>>> <raises hand>
>>>
>>> Er... I haven't?
>>>
>>> Not many houses of ill repute available to a trainee infantryman on
>>> Stanford Training Area, and by the time I had the cash and the
>>> opportunity
>>> I no longer had the need...
>>>

>>Dismissed!
>>
>>You don't qualify for my book ...%)
>
> This book - it's a Cock's - er Cook's Tour of Brothels I suppose?

Sure. And y'all can submit your favourite recipes if you like! (still
looking for a soundtrack in case it's made into a movie)

> Eugene L Griessel

- nil

> Guy Fawkes - the last man to enter Parliament with honest
> intentions.

"After I die I shall return to earth as the doorkeeper of a bordello and I
won't let a one of you in. "
-- Arturo Toscanini

Eugene Griessel

Jul 8, 2007, 1:48:18 PM7/8/07
"La N" <nilita20...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>> This book - it's a Cock's - er Cook's Tour of Brothels I suppose?
>
>Sure. And y'all can submit your favourite recipes if you like! (still
>looking for a soundtrack in case it's made into a movie)

There's nothing sadder than the sound of prostitute and a naval
officer quibbling over the price of a little copulation.

Eugene L Griessel

The cruelest fiction ever put forward is that every person matters.
Chances are, you don't. -- Alex Beam

La N

Jul 8, 2007, 1:58:39 PM7/8/07

> "La N" <nilita20...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>> This book - it's a Cock's - er Cook's Tour of Brothels I suppose?
>>
>>Sure. And y'all can submit your favourite recipes if you like! (still
>>looking for a soundtrack in case it's made into a movie)
>>

> There's nothing sadder than the sound of prostitute and a naval
> officer quibbling over the price of a little copulation.

Well, here's something for you, Eugene:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=STkk4OtLwWM

> Eugene L Griessel

- nil

> The cruelest fiction ever put forward is that every person matters.
> Chances are, you don't. -- Alex Beam

"If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car
payments." -- Earl Wilson

La N

Jul 8, 2007, 2:02:31 PM7/8/07

> "Eugene Griessel" <eugene@dynagen..co..za> wrote in message

>>>Sure. And y'all can submit your favourite recipes if you like! (still
>>>looking for a soundtrack in case it's made into a movie)
>>>

>> There's nothing sadder than the sound of prostitute and a naval
>> officer quibbling over the price of a little copulation.
>
> Well, here's something for you, Eugene:
>
> http://youtube.com/watch?v=STkk4OtLwWM

And, this is even better:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=oBFQg7P5YKw

Eugene Griessel

Jul 8, 2007, 2:07:49 PM7/8/07
"La N" <nilita20...@yahoo.com> wrote:

Don't bother sending youtube links - I'm at the end of a piece of wet
string in darkest Africa.

Eugene L Griessel

Eternity is a terrible thought. I mean, where's it going to end?

La N

Jul 8, 2007, 2:14:42 PM7/8/07

"Eugene Griessel" <eugene@dynagen..co..za> wrote in message

Gosh, Eugene, when you are you going to emerge from the jungles and join the
human race? Forget it ... I'm sorry I asked ...%) Anyway, the second one
is for the song that I know you know and appreciate: Leonard Cohen's
"Sisters of Mercy." The first one was "Whore House Blues" by Motorhead.

> Eugene L Griessel

- nil

> Eternity is a terrible thought. I mean, where's it going to end?

"I forget what killed it. I think it was her proposing to sacrifice the
whole world for me. That is always a dreadful moment. It fills one with the
terror of eternity." -- Oscar Wilde

Eugene Griessel

Jul 8, 2007, 2:21:46 PM7/8/07
"La N" <nilita20...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>"Eugene Griessel" <eugene@dynagen..co..za> wrote in message
>> "La N" <nilita20...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>

>>>"La N" <nilita20...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>>>And, this is even better:
>>>
>>>http://youtube.com/watch?v=oBFQg7P5YKw
>>>

>> Don't bother sending youtube links - I'm at the end of a piece of wet
>> string in darkest Africa.
>
>Gosh, Eugene, when you are you going to emerge from the jungles and join the
>human race? Forget it ... I'm sorry I asked ...%) Anyway, the second one
>is for the song that I know you know and appreciate: Leonard Cohen's
>"Sisters of Mercy." The first one was "Whore House Blues" by Motorhead.

I guess a Leonard Cohen soundtrack backing a naval officer haggling
over the price of fornication would win you the Golden Razor Blade for
the most Suicidal Sound Effects in a documentary picture.

Eugene L Griessel

A good time to keep your mouth shut is when you're in deep water.

TMOliver

Jul 8, 2007, 3:28:30 PM7/8/07

> In message <468e5a4b$0$3102$4c36...@roadrunner.com>, TMOliver
> <tmoliv...@hot.rr.comFIX> writes
>>As for hangover cures, the kind you know you're going to get when you wake
>>up to relieve the watch and find the ship has gotten underway and is
>>rolling
>>badly in a heavy sea - but you are still in bed at home or maybe so, your
>>actual location being unclear, but hopefully not in an embrace with a
>>"Two-Bagger, a woman so homely that you've put a paper sack over her head
>>and added a second over your own to prevent her recognizing you at a later
>>date - the only worse fate, to awaken clutching a "Coyote Woman", best to
>>be
>>described in another entry in the log.
>
> I've heard that described as a "wolf's-head" in UK parlance: where you
> wish you could grow a wolf's head, so you could quietly chew off the arm
> she's lying on, rather than risk waking her...

In the case of a Coyote Woman, of course you chew off the arm upon which her
head rests, and then once away and free, you have to gnaw off your other arm
to prevent her from recognizing you later.

Every Med port inevitable had a joint named the Kit Kat Klub, and the
staff - or at least the "entertainers" - seem to have traveled ahead of the
fleet's schedule.

In the early 60s, long before the sexual revolution had picked up steam, the
most attractive whores were always to be found in Golfe Juan, a small port
with a long history of relieving sailors... There was even one place which
seems to have been "other ranks excluded", reserved for officers and chiefs.
Malta, especially the "Gut" had the ugliest professional women, squat, dark
and bandy legged as if employed sculling water taxis about during the
daylight hours. There were some parts of downtown Naples in which the
"working girls" of the early/mid 60s had entered the profession during the
dark days of 1943-44.

TMO

Eugene Griessel

Jul 9, 2007, 12:58:57 AM7/9/07
"TMOliver" <tmoliv...@hot.rr.comFIX> wrote:

>In the early 60s, long before the sexual revolution had picked up steam, the
>most attractive whores were always to be found in Golfe Juan, a small port
>with a long history of relieving sailors... There was even one place which
>seems to have been "other ranks excluded", reserved for officers and chiefs.
>Malta, especially the "Gut" had the ugliest professional women, squat, dark
>and bandy legged as if employed sculling water taxis about during the
>daylight hours. There were some parts of downtown Naples in which the
>"working girls" of the early/mid 60s had entered the profession during the
>dark days of 1943-44.

I have a colleague, living in Auckland New Zealeand, whose daily walk
between flat and office takes him along K road - the sin street of the
place. He reckons that one of the ladies with whom he has become
fairly friendly (greet each other as they pass) must be at least in
her seventies if not eighties. Apparently she still dresses like a
teeny-bopper and has violently dyed hair. He can only speculate about
her clientele with something akin to a shudder.

Eugene L Griessel

C:\WINDOWS C:\WINDOWS\GO C:\PC\CRAWL

La N

Jul 9, 2007, 9:11:33 AM7/9/07

"Eugene Griessel" <eugene@dynagen..co..za> wrote in message

Heh. Many many years ago I went with some friends to a piano lounge where
we downed umbrella drinks and were entertained by a woman in her late 70's
who played honky tonk, ragtime, the blues and such, interrupting her numbers
with bon mots and humerous anecdotes about her life. She was a terribly
funny flirt with the good looking young men in the audience, and her playful
teasing inevitably elicited red faces and snickers. I'll never forget one
of her retorts in between stanzas of one of her songs: "Oh honeys, you
laugh! But, let me tell ya. When I was in my 20's, I was a looker! I had
'em lining up for me, all those good looking young sailors. Yup in my 20's
I was selling it." She returned to playing a few bars of music. "And,
then, when I was in my 40's I started giving it away". Back to tinkling the
keys for a few more notes. "And, now, honeys, I'm trying to buy it back!"
*pa da bim*!

> Eugene L Griessel

- nil

> C:\WINDOWS C:\WINDOWS\GO C:\PC\CRAWL

"There's a big scandal going on down in Washington, DC, with a prostitution
ring.
... Politicians were actually paying for sex. One girl got paid with a
military base in her home state." --David Letterman