Report: DDG 51 class ‘buckling’ under stress

Otis Willie PIO The American War Library

Oct 11, 2007, 9:04:58 PM10/11/07
Report: DDG 51 class ‘buckling’ under stress
http://www.navytimes.com/news/2007/10/navy_ddgs_buckling_071011w/

{EXCERPT} Staff report Posted : Thursday Oct 11, 2007 17:08:15 EDT

More than a dozen Arleigh Burke-class destroyers have suffered “significant”
structural damage in rough seas because designers didn’t account for the effect
of “bow slams” on the ships’ hulls, Navy documents said — and they said fixing
the problem could cost almost $63 million.

A Navy PowerPoint presentation, obtained by Navy Times, confirmed a report
Thursday in the British defense

Naval Service Discussion/News/Info Exchange Forum
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/all-things-navy

U.S. and friendly nation laws prohibit fully
reproducing copyrighted material. In abidance
with our laws this report cannot be provided in
its entirety. However, you can read it in full
today at the supplied URL. The subject/content of
this report is not necessarily the viewpoint of
the distributing Library. This report is provided
for your information and discussion.

-- Otis Willie (Ret.)
Military News and Information Editor (http://www.13105320634.com)
The American War Library, Est. 1988 (http://www.amervets.com)
16907 Brighton Avenue
Gardena CA 90247
1-310-532-0634

Military Webmaster Site Link Request Form:
http://www.amervets.com/linkreq.htm

Military and Vet Info-Exchange/Discussion Groups
http://members.aol.com/amerwar/share.htm

La N

Oct 11, 2007, 10:38:54 PM10/11/07

"Otis Willie PIO The American War Library" <themilit...@pacbell.net>
wrote in message news:othtg39th5g4uvnrg...@4ax.com...

> Report: DDG 51 class 'buckling' under stress
> http://www.navytimes.com/news/2007/10/navy_ddgs_buckling_071011w/
>
> {EXCERPT} Staff report Posted : Thursday Oct 11, 2007 17:08:15 EDT
>
> More than a dozen Arleigh Burke-class destroyers have suffered
> "significant"
> structural damage in rough seas because designers didn't account for the
> effect
> of "bow slams" on the ships' hulls, Navy documents said - and they said

> fixing
> the problem could cost almost $63 million.
>
> A Navy PowerPoint presentation, obtained by Navy Times, confirmed a report
> Thursday in the British defense

See, there's the problem right there. PowerPoint presentations have been
proven to be boring and ineffective. I would suggest that the complainants
plead their case narrative style, using anecdotes, and having coffee and
doughnuts brought in on the break. Follow this with a Q&A session, of
course. You want the money? You have ta play to the hearts of the
audience. Make them feel guilty that your boats are leaking and you're
having to plug the holes with silly putty!

- nil

Gernot Hassenpflug

Oct 12, 2007, 1:13:22 AM10/12/07
"La N" <nilita20...@yahoo.com> writes:

There's a nice unix-type presentation creation tool (what a dumb
phrase), which sums up PowerPoint nicely: it is called PointLess.

--
BOFH excuse #31:

cellular telephone interference

Andy Toppan

Oct 12, 2007, 4:42:19 PM10/12/07

>More than a dozen Arleigh Burke-class destroyers have suffered “significant”
>structural damage in rough seas because designers didn’t account for the effect

Gosh, this was probably real news two years ago when the problem was
noted and a fix designed....

It should also be noted that DDG 51, on her first sea trial, set all
sorts of records for steaming at full speed through full-blown
nor'easter conditions (30 ft seas) for hours, until the crew became
too ill to function. That was circa 1990...so 15 years and 40-odd
ships later, a problem finally popped up. Not bad.

Ships are designed for a certain sea state...typically criteria like
"unlimited operations to sea state X, limited operations to sea state
X+Y, remain seaworthy to sea state X+Z". If you exceed the design
criteria, you'll break something....simple really.

If you want to operate past "X", you make the ship stronger. A ship
can always be stronger, but at some point it'll head for the seabed
nose-first as the weight of the steel overcomes bouyancy. Not rocket
science here...