Jennifer's first glasses (apology)

Jennifer

Mar 5, 1995, 7:08:55 PM3/5/95
I posted a couple of months ago complaining that I was told I had to get
glasses (-2.00 D in each eye). Although I was extremely resistant to
wearing them, I found within a month I was extremely dependent on them
and I was not at all happy about this. I think I may have taken this out
on the readers of this group. If I did, I apologize.

Now, approximately 3 months after gettinh my first pair og glasses, I
find that I am completely and totally dependent on them --- I put them on
in the morning and I don't take them off till I go to bed. Surprisingly,
I don't mind wearing them anymore. I actually feel naked when I don't
have them on. I've received many compliments about the way I look in
glasses, and I've even started to like the way I look in glasses. I do
have one question: I was told that I would not have to wear my glasses
when reading. I find this to be true, but since I do need my glasses for
everything else that I do, I find that I usually end up leaving them on
while reading. Will this harm my eyes?

I have another question as well. My boyfriend recently got glasses as
well (he was told he has 1.25 diopters of astigmatism). He seldom wears
the glasses, claiming he can see fine without them. He does, however, get
frequent headaches. Is this caused by not wearing his glasses? Should he
be wearing his glasses all of the time? Thanks again for listening to me.

Alex Eulenberg

Mar 5, 1995, 8:56:24 PM3/5/95

>I have another question as well. My boyfriend recently got glasses as
>well (he was told he has 1.25 diopters of astigmatism). He seldom wears
>the glasses, claiming he can see fine without them. He does, however, get
>frequent headaches. Is this caused by not wearing his glasses? Should he
>be wearing his glasses all of the time? Thanks again for listening to me.

Please read my post "Dangers of Distance Glasses".

I also suggest obtaining a book by Joseph Kennebeck, O.D., "Why
Eyeglasses are Harmful for Children and Young People"

I also suggest reading any book by another optometrist, Jacob
Raphaelson, or by Chalmers Prentice, MD.

(Unfortunately, these books are out of print. If they are not available at
your library, try to get an interlibrary loan.)

In short, all these eye doctors show how both nearsightedness and
astigmatism are a result of muscle strain induced principally by
too-intense near work. They offer evidence, in my opinion conclusive, that
1) wearing distance lenses, which brings objects optically closer,
accelerates the progress of myopia, and 2) by wearing drugstore reading
glasses when you do close work, you can prevent and even reverse myopia
and astigmatism. (note: this does not apply to very young children!) Their
opinion is in the minority among eye doctors, but I believe it is the
correct one.

If you cannot get access to these books, or cannot wait for an
interlibrary loan, email me and I will send some reprints to you.

If you do not have access to email, call or leave a message for me at

812 857 5081

Myopia is more than just wearing glasses. It may lead to serious
complications down the road, including blindness. It can be reduced or
arrested. It also can be accelerated and lead to ocular degeneration. If
you know the facts, you can chose which course your myopia will take.

Vic Cinc

Mar 6, 1995, 7:35:27 AM3/6/95
Jennifer (jenn...@nstn.ns.ca) wrote:
: [snip]
: everything else that I do, I find that I usually end up leaving them on
: while reading. Will this harm my eyes?

yes.

: I have another question as well. My boyfriend recently got glasses as

: well (he was told he has 1.25 diopters of astigmatism). He seldom wears
: the glasses, claiming he can see fine without them. He does, however, get
: frequent headaches. Is this caused by not wearing his glasses? Should he
: be wearing his glasses all of the time? Thanks again for listening to me.

no.

probably caused by wearing his glasses. wearing negative diopter lenses
is the quickest way to aggravate myopia and astigmatism. since
you are new to glasses I would *strongly* recomend
seeing a behavioral optometrist who will should you how
to rid yourself of these noxious things quick smart.

to find your nearest behavioral optometrist
contact

The Optometric Extension Program Foundation
2912 South Daimler Street
Satna Ana, CA 92705
(714) 250-8070

Vic

Vic Cinc, ASDC pty ltd vi...@extro.ucc.su.oz.au
smail: GPO Box 1660 Sydney NSW 2001 AUSTRALIA

Weinberg's Principle:
An expert is a person who avoids the small errors while
sweeping on to the grand fallacy.

Hookway

Mar 6, 1995, 8:52:50 PM3/6/95
Jennifer I am writing to inform you that the advise you have received is
not what the majority of eye doctors would tell you. If you are slightly
nearsighted it is probably better to remove your glasses for reading
because this reduces the accommodative (focusing) demand and releaves near
stress. In some cases bifocals are prescribed to allow people to read
without taking their glasses off but I do not recommend that very often.

BECOMING MYOPIC DOES NOT LEAD TO BLINDNESS. I do not know how anyone
would tell you that it does. If you do wear your glasses for reading and
you do a lot of nearwork you may become more nearsighted but even if you
read all day long with glasses for the rest of your life you will not go
blind and you will probably not even become much more nearsighted. I feel
that a lot of this talk is academic. If you are wearing your glasses most
of the time comfortably it really doesn't matter is you have a -1.50 lens
or a -2.50 lens, you are still wearing glasses. If you have a very small
amount of nearsightedness and do not wear your glasses very much then you
would want to avoid wearing them so that your vison did not become more
myopic and push you into full time wear.

I hope this helps.
\
Larry Hookway, O.D.