Clear lens extraction (CLE)?

Mike

Aug 2, 2006, 11:26:59 PM8/2/06
I have nystagmus and have high myopia (-15). My BCVA is 20/80 on
average.

Would CLE give me better quality vision along with a better BCVA?

I'm thinking my nystagmus may not allow me to get the best result from
my contacts.

What are the chances of achieving 20/70 or better?

Thanks
-m

acem...@yahoo.com

Aug 3, 2006, 12:19:58 AM8/3/06
I am not a doctor but I dont see how IOLs would improve things over
contacts. Maybe vision theraphy to improve whatever disorders you have
would be more effective. If your reason is to correct your super high
myopia and avoid cateracts, maybe IOLs could be justified. If you have
no good reason or unrelistic expectations, stick with glasses and
contacts. Try vision theraphy and natural vision improvement. How did
your eyes get so bad and how well do you see without glasses, how far
can you count fingers? Just curious what a -15 sees!

serebel

Aug 3, 2006, 1:24:26 AM8/3/06

Ace is not a doctor, but he is a retard.

Anon E. Muss

Aug 3, 2006, 2:24:05 AM8/3/06
On 2 Aug 2006 20:26:59 -0700, "Mike" <michae...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I have nystagmus and have high myopia (-15). My BCVA is 20/80 on
>average.
>
>Would CLE give me better quality vision along with a better BCVA?

Probably NOT.

>I'm thinking my nystagmus may not allow me to get the best result from
>my contacts.
>
>What are the chances of achieving 20/70 or better?

Very unlikely.

Robert Kopp

Aug 3, 2006, 3:08:56 AM8/3/06
acem...@yahoo.com wrote:

> I am not a doctor but I dont see how IOLs would improve things over
> contacts. Maybe vision theraphy to improve whatever disorders you have
> would be more effective. If your reason is to correct your super high
> myopia and avoid cateracts, maybe IOLs could be justified.

With CLE, the risk of retinal detachment would probably not be negligible at
this level of correction. I've heard of phakic IOL's, which are appropriate
for this level of correction and might be worth investigating. Forget
LASIK.

--
Robert T. Kopp
http://analytic.tripod.com

Dr Judy

Aug 3, 2006, 10:18:56 PM8/3/06

Mike wrote:
> I have nystagmus and have high myopia (-15). My BCVA is 20/80 on
> average.
>
> Would CLE give me better quality vision along with a better BCVA?

Unlikely. Your poor BCVA is due to the nystagmus and CLE will not
alter that.

> I'm thinking my nystagmus may not allow me to get the best result from
> my contacts.

The nystagmus should not affect the contacts, but will cause your BCVA
with glasses or contacts to be reduced.

> What are the chances of achieving 20/70 or better?

If you don't get 20/70 with glasses or contacts then you will not get
20/70 with CLE either.

Dr Judy