Thanksgiving poem

1 view

Su

Nov 28, 2002, 2:27:26 AM11/28/02
May your stuffing be tasty
May your turkey plump,
May your potatoes and gravy
have nary a lump.

May your yams be delicious
and your pies take the prize,
and may your Thanksgiving dinner
stay off your thighs!!

Liz

Nov 28, 2002, 6:33:56 AM11/28/02
Cute, Su, especially the last line! I'm doing lower fat cooking this
year as Daughter #2 joined e-diets and is on a low/no-fat regimen
through the holidays, so maybe my thighs will be safe this year. BTW, I
have the turkey brining in a covered 5-gallon Home Depot paint bucket
(yes, it's new!) outside my office. It has to go into the oven by 11 as
we're eating at 2, but it had to brine for 6 hours, so guess who had to
set the alarm for 4:00 this a.m., just to start dinner!!

Hope everyone has a safe and happy holiday.

Gdubson

Nov 28, 2002, 9:34:29 AM11/28/02
>Hope everyone has a safe and happy holiday.

Since it's just hubby and me here, we are taking our Thanksgiving feast at a
nice local restaurant. I only ever eat about 2 bites of the turkey, so I can
concentrate on the things I really enjoy! Plan to take a long walk to
compensate.

I hope you are all planning on having a great holiday.

Gisele

Su

Nov 28, 2002, 9:57:03 AM11/28/02
"Liz" <liz...@Erols.com> wrote in message news:3DE5FF...@Erols.com...

> BTW, I have the turkey brining in a covered 5-gallon Home Depot paint
bucket
> (yes, it's new!) outside my office. It has to go into the oven by 11 as
> we're eating at 2, but it had to brine for 6 hours, so guess who had to
> set the alarm for 4:00 this a.m., just to start dinner!!

What's the purpose of brining a turkey?

Just don't forget to put the popcorn kernels in the stuffing. :}

Julianne Weight

Nov 28, 2002, 10:23:47 AM11/28/02
On Thu, 28 Nov 2002 06:33:56 -0500, Liz <liz...@Erols.com> wrote:

>Cute, Su, especially the last line! I'm doing lower fat cooking this
>year as Daughter #2 joined e-diets and is on a low/no-fat regimen
>through the holidays, so maybe my thighs will be safe this year. BTW, I
>have the turkey brining in a covered 5-gallon Home Depot paint bucket
>(yes, it's new!) outside my office. It has to go into the oven by 11 as
>we're eating at 2, but it had to brine for 6 hours, so guess who had to
>set the alarm for 4:00 this a.m., just to start dinner!!

It's just our family (and maybe a few friends of my son's on a very
casual basis) so dinner will be on the table whenever it's ready! I'm
looking forward to relaxing a bit while I cook, instead of having to
worry about the table and finishing dinner to coincide with guest
arrival.

Hubby came home from work Tuesday with a frozen turkey and I'm not
sure it's even fully thawed yet. Due to power outage all day Tuesday,
I seriously considered just cooking the contents of the freezers for
T-giving! But there seems to have been little damage (we kept the
doors closed tight).

Liz

Nov 28, 2002, 11:52:18 AM11/28/02
Su wrote:
> What's the purpose of brining a turkey?

It's supposed to make it moister. I'm hooked on the Food Network and
was watching the other night as the host of one of the shows (Alton
Brown) discussed brining. Then I did a Dogpile search on brining
turkeys and found only good comments so thought I'd give it a try. I'll
let you know how it turns out.

> Just don't forget to put the popcorn kernels in the stuffing. :}\

What??????

Liz

Nov 28, 2002, 11:56:10 AM11/28/02
Julianne Weight wrote:

> It's just our family (and maybe a few friends of my son's on a very
> casual basis) so dinner will be on the table whenever it's ready! I'm
> looking forward to relaxing a bit while I cook, instead of having to
> worry about the table and finishing dinner to coincide with guest
> arrival.

You're probably having more people to dinner than I, Julie. It's just
Charlie and I, our two daughters, one SIL, and our 14-month-old
granddaughter for dinner this year. However, as Laurie, our world
traveller, has a 6 p.m. flight to Nice and is leaving for the airport at
4 p.m., we have to sit down by 2 p.m. Everything's on schedule,
however, and I'm going to try to spit out an hour or so of work before
dinner.

Liz

MizGriz

Nov 28, 2002, 3:23:11 PM11/28/02
Well, for the first time in my 45 years, I'm spending Thanksgiving alone. I
had invitations to my brother's and my ex's, but feeling a bit introspective
decided to just chill with myself. All of my live-ins are gone for a couple
of days so it's just me and the menagerie. I've got a turkey breast just
about finished, made my delicious PA Dutch potato filling, mashed potatoes,
salad, yams, devilled eggs....yes I know that's lotsa taters, but as a
celiac all the really good stuff is stuff I can't eat! LOL! I've set the
breakfast counter with a lovely place setting, am getting ready to open a
bottle of wine.... Lesseee..... should be asleep by 6!~

Tomorrow, I'm traveling to NJ to meet an online friend I've not yet met
realtime. She's right on the ocean and I'm really looking forward to the
visit. Then Saturday it's back to work, school, life.... But a 2-day
vacation is great.

Best wishes to everyone for a healthy and happy Thanksgiving.

--
Bambi Geist
_____________

Check out the best band you never heard of, Grey Eye Glances, at
www.greyeyeglances.com
"Julianne Weight" <jul...@theusual.com> wrote in message

Susan Mitchell

Nov 28, 2002, 4:04:17 PM11/28/02
Have fun! In a way I envy you. I love having everyone here and it's fun,
but I so want to be alone for a dang long time!!

--
Sue -- UW Mom -- Rabid Dawg Fan!
(to reply send to medla...@attbi.com)
"MizGriz" <mizg...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

JMorngstar

Nov 28, 2002, 4:22:33 PM11/28/02
>Tomorrow, I'm traveling to NJ to meet an online friend I've not yet met
>realtime.

We have to find a way to meet online friends who are male.

Janice

MizGriz

Nov 28, 2002, 6:30:15 PM11/28/02
Actually, ma dear, I'm doing that NEXT weekend ;-)

--
Bambi Geist
_____________
Let us never be fearful of life's passages, for change is a remarkable gift
filled with hidden surprises.

Check out the best band you never heard of, Grey Eye Glances, at
www.greyeyeglances.com

"JMorngstar" <jmorn...@aol.comnojunk> wrote in message

JBuxton569

Nov 28, 2002, 6:42:02 PM11/28/02
<<Well, for the first time in my 45 years, I'm spending Thanksgiving alone. >>

I prefer being by myself, with my animals of course, on Thanksgiving. In the
past I've been invited to spend the day with friends but never really enjoyed
the day. I remember one year eating smoked turkey that made me extremely sick
all the way home. Smoked food and I don't agree, so I should have known
better.

This year I had a great day. Harvey, the pig-dog springer spaniel from next
day, brought four children into my front yard, and we all had a great time
discussing our various animals. The kids got a kick watching Harvey eat the
dry cat food in the dog house and the milk bone biscuits I keep near the front
window just for him.

Then I vegged out in front of the TV watching the Macy's parade and two hour
dog show after that. During commercials I finished getting my Christmas cards
ready for mailing and wrapping the presents to be taken to the post office
tomorrow. Right now I'm guzzling down vanilla coke while watching David
Souchet as Poirot. I do like that little Frenchman, sorry Belgian detective.

I may go to bed early tonight. The other day I bought a cat toy for the mob
that they immediately ignored. It's a metal mouse that is activated by sound
or movement and says "nah nah nah nah nah", "oh oh", and giggles while its
green eyes flash and it twirls around in circles. Anyway, naughty Nellie set
it off about 3 a.m. waking me up out of a sound sleep.

I hope you all had as peaceful and enjoyable Thanksgiving as I did. Only fly
in the ointment is my neighbor in back who plays country music with only the
base up loud enough to reverberate throughout my whole house. Thank goodness
for wax ear plugs.

HAPPY HOLIDAY TO ALL OF YOU

from
Judity, felines, possums, and mystery critter

RaeMorrill

Nov 28, 2002, 9:17:05 PM11/28/02
In article <3DE649...@Erols.com>, Liz <liz...@Erols.com> writes:

>> Just don't forget to put the popcorn kernels in the stuffing. :}\
>
>What??????

LOL. Seems to me it could sound like the turkey was trying to shoot his way out
of the oven.

Rae Morrill in Maine
"Ya can't get theyuh from heeah"
_______________________________
Spam mailers WILL be reported to their respective postmasters and AOL TOSSPAM!

JMorngstar

Nov 29, 2002, 12:48:41 AM11/29/02

>Actually, ma dear, I'm doing that NEXT weekend ;-)

I knew you had been too quiet. Details, details, details.

Janice

Susan Mitchell

Nov 29, 2002, 2:09:31 AM11/29/02
What a fun day! We had a good one too, I love having my son here and DH
fixes dinner and I cleanup. After almost nuking the house I prefer to not
cook for awhile (since I almost started a fire a month ago) Forgot something
on the burner until all smoke detectors in this 3745 square foot house went
off!!! I think it best I steer clear of kitchens for awhile. I was still
more scarred yesterday with the nuke accident!

--

"JBuxton569" <jbuxt...@aol.comignore> wrote in message