Aunt Minnie

1 view

David S. Channin

Jan 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/30/96
I have been looking for the source of this for quite a while!

The most recent pointer I had was that this was from Ben Felson,
and the example used was going to the airport to pick up Aunt Minnie.

Does anyone have the definitive reference for this??

dsc

Ken Ford

Jan 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/30/96
Does anyone know who is responsible for coining the term "Aunt
Minnie" used to describe pathognomonic findings in radiology.

KF

Ron Kuzo

Jan 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/30/96
In article <4ek460$k...@newsreader.wustl.edu>, Ken Ford
<fo...@mirlink.wustl.edu> wrote:

I don't know for sure, but I would guess that it was Ben Felson.

__________________________
| R_______| }{ |_________ |
| __ || _ |
| / \|| / \ | Ron Kuzo MD
| / |||() \ | Thoracic Radiology
| / / /\ | \ | Medical College of Wisconsin
| / ,=( >=. \ | ku...@post.its.mcw.edu
| / / \ \ |
|/ ,~-~. \ / ,~-~.\ |
|_________________________|

Alan Nazerian

Jan 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/30/96
Ron Kuzo (ku...@post.its.mcw.edu) wrote:
: I don't know for sure, but I would guess that it was Ben Felson.

: __________________________
: | R_______| }{ |_________ |
: | __ || _ |
: | / \|| / \ | Ron Kuzo MD
: | / |||() \ | Thoracic Radiology
: | / / /\ | \ | Medical College of Wisconsin
: | / ,=( >=. \ | ku...@post.its.mcw.edu
: | / / \ \ |
: |/ ,~-~. \ / ,~-~.\ |
: |_________________________|

Dr. Kuzo, I like the CXR... can you show me how to do a low prob VQ
scan? Maybe something like this ... ..
.... ...
..... ....
.... ...
.. ..

Alan

Nuhad Dinno

Feb 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/2/96
it was probably the same irreverent individual who coined the
"throckmorton sign" and the "Q sign".

j.f. kadlec

ATarburton

Feb 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/3/96
What exactly is the "Aunt Minnie" ? Is it similiar to the "Scotty Dog"
that you see when you do obliques of the Lumbar spine. Just curious.

Andy T.

Gerald Kruglik

Feb 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/4/96
Ken Ford <fo...@mirlink.wustl.edu> wrote:

>Does anyone know who is responsible for coining the term "Aunt
>Minnie" used to describe pathognomonic findings in radiology.

>KF
Ben Felson.

Wayne Harrison

Feb 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/8/96
Andy,

An 'Aunt Minnie' is an abnormality on an image that you can diagnose
based on its typical appearance, without having to reason it out or even
give a differential diagnosis for. This is analagous to recognizing your
Aunt Minnie by looking at her face. You don't have to analyze hair color,
the size of the nose, etc. and then conclude that based on the available
information that this is probably Aunt Minnie, but other Aunts, or
possibly second cousins could not be excluded.

Wayne Harrison

Feb 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/15/96
Nuhad Dinno wrote:

> it was probably the same irreverent individual who coined the
> "throckmorton sign" and the "Q sign".
>
> j.f. kadlecI don't know who coined the Throckmorton sign, but I doubt that it was
Ben Felson. The Q sign is from the novel House of God. I can't recall the
author's name. (?Shem)

Peter Clive

Feb 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/17/96
Wayne Harrison <WAY...@docker.com> wrote:

>> j.f. kadlecI don't know who coined the Throckmorton sign, but I doubt that it was
>Ben Felson. The Q sign is from the novel House of God. I can't recall the
>author's name. (?Shem)

Samual Shem was the author and I think it might have been "Eat My
Dust Eddie" who coined the "Q Sign" which is a step down the scale
from the "O Sign" and a step up the scale from the "Dotted Q Sign".