The five and a half pound diet

dolores

May 7, 2002, 12:39:13 PM5/7/02
I eat four meals a day. Each meal is 400 calories. Sometims a tad
more and sometimes a tad less. My meals consist of about 2 to four
teaspoons of olive oil a day, three ounces of fatty fish, a potato,
whole wheat bread, fruit, vegetables, yogurt, occasionally nuts,
sometimes a teaspoon or two of peanut butter and one to three
teaspoons of all fruit jam. Occasionally I eat three cups
of popcorn as the starch with my meal. I eat other whole grains.

I carefully weigh and measure everything. Just for fun, I calculated
the weight of a couple of days worth of my meals and consistently came
up with between 5 and 6 pounds of food a day.

I am losing weight slowly but surely. I do not want to eat so few
calories that my metabolism slows and I feel the pain of hunger all
day. My diet is varied, balanced and contains hardly any junk food.
I am satisfied enough that I do not eat between meals. It is a way of
eating that I can be happy with permanently. ON very very rare
occasions, I can substitute some ice cream for some of my 400 calories
in a meal.

I cannot imagine eating the 2 pound diet--at least not for any length
of time. If I continued to eat my present well balanced diet and
reduced the amount of food to 2 pounds I would be eating 800 calories
a day. I would guess that anyone could lose weight on 800 calories a
day. For me to do this, I would need to be in a hospital with an
armed guard at the door.

Is there somewhere I can find menus for the 2 pound diet. I am very
curious as to what a real life eating plan would be.

P.S. I am t2 diabetic. I just did a random blood test and my blood
sugar is 81 . No meds, just diet and some exercise.

Dolores

Michael Roose

May 7, 2002, 1:33:25 PM5/7/02
On 7 May 2002 09:39:13 -0700, sant...@webtv.net (dolores) wrote:

|I cannot imagine eating the 2 pound diet--at least not for any length
|of time. If I continued to eat my present well balanced diet and
|reduced the amount of food to 2 pounds I would be eating 800 calories
|a day. I would guess that anyone could lose weight on 800 calories a
|day.

I am on the Two Pound Diet and I eat 2,000 - 2,500 calories a day.
Low sat fat too.

| For me to do this, I would need to be in a hospital with an
|armed guard at the door.

LOL!

|Is there somewhere I can find menus for the 2 pound diet. I am very
|curious as to what a real life eating plan would be.

Here's a menu. Eat what you want using an ounce of common sense.

|P.S. I am t2 diabetic. I just did a random blood test and my blood
|sugar is 81 . No meds, just diet and some exercise.

http://www.heartmdphd.com/wtloss.asp

Appreciate your feedback on it.

Gym Bob

May 7, 2002, 1:36:12 PM5/7/02
The brain plays many tricks on a starving dieter. There is no such thing as
"common sense". The armed guard scenario is a good analogy and a correct one
for most.

dolores

May 7, 2002, 6:37:58 PM5/7/02
Michael Roose <somewhatus...@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<jo3gdu4p38uo0r9lv...@4ax.com>...

O.K. I read dr. chung's diet, but he does not give any menus, he just
tells y you to weigh the food you eat and keep cutting back until you
are at two pounds. (By the way, basing a diet on the ten pounds a week
that mountain climbers use which is probably dehydrated food anyway,
reminds me of a diet which was very seriously suggested by someone. I
am not making this up and the guy was serious. He said the people in
india are thin because they sleep on the ground so to be thin we
should do likewise)

So I will give my diet of sixteen hundred calories and cut it in half.
Here goes---800 calories

Breakfast: 3 oz potato, tsp oil, 2.5 oz beans, 2.5 oz cooked onion,
1/4 apple, 1/4 cup peas

Lunch: 1 oz tuna, 3oz lettuce, 1/4 tomato, tsp oil, 1/2 orange, 1
slice whole wheat bread

Dinner: 3/8 cup fat free plain yogurt, 1 tbs wheat germ, 1/2 apple, 1
tsp oil, 3 oz brussels sprouts, 1/2 oz pasta

Late evening: 3 oz strawberries, 1 cup yogurt, 1 tbs wheat germ, 5oz
boxed winter squash

Please tell me what you eat during the day to total 2500 calories at
only 2 pounds.

Dolores

Karen

May 7, 2002, 8:09:16 PM5/7/02
On 7 May 2002 09:39:13 -0700, sant...@webtv.net (dolores) wrote:

>P.S. I am t2 diabetic. I just did a random blood test and my blood
>sugar is 81 . No meds, just diet and some exercise.

Really great BG for a T2 without meds, Delores. Is that typical?

A Newsreader

May 7, 2002, 9:56:42 PM5/7/02
sant...@webtv.net (dolores) wrote in

> So I will give my diet of sixteen hundred calories and cut it in half.
> Here goes---800 calories
>
> Breakfast: 3 oz potato, tsp oil, 2.5 oz beans, 2.5 oz cooked onion,
> 1/4 apple, 1/4 cup peas
>
> Lunch: 1 oz tuna, 3oz lettuce, 1/4 tomato, tsp oil, 1/2 orange, 1
> slice whole wheat bread
>
> Dinner: 3/8 cup fat free plain yogurt, 1 tbs wheat germ, 1/2 apple, 1
> tsp oil, 3 oz brussels sprouts, 1/2 oz pasta
>
> Late evening: 3 oz strawberries, 1 cup yogurt, 1 tbs wheat germ, 5oz
> boxed winter squash
>
> Please tell me what you eat during the day to total 2500 calories at
> only 2 pounds.
>
> Dolores

Ooohhh, 800 calories a day sounds like murder.

How much do you currently weigh and what is your height ?

How much water do you drink a day ?

Michael Roose

May 7, 2002, 10:31:36 PM5/7/02
On 7 May 2002 15:37:58 -0700, sant...@webtv.net (dolores) wrote:

|O.K. I read dr. chung's diet, but he does not give any menus, he just
|tells y you to weigh the food you eat and keep cutting back until you
|are at two pounds.

Yep.

| (By the way, basing a diet on the ten pounds a week
|that mountain climbers use which is probably dehydrated food anyway,
|reminds me of a diet which was very seriously suggested by someone. I
|am not making this up and the guy was serious. He said the people in
|india are thin because they sleep on the ground so to be thin we
|should do likewise)

Interesting.

|So I will give my diet of sixteen hundred calories and cut it in half.
| Here goes---800 calories
|
|Breakfast: 3 oz potato, tsp oil, 2.5 oz beans, 2.5 oz cooked onion,
|1/4 apple, 1/4 cup peas
|
|Lunch: 1 oz tuna, 3oz lettuce, 1/4 tomato, tsp oil, 1/2 orange, 1
|slice whole wheat bread
|
|Dinner: 3/8 cup fat free plain yogurt, 1 tbs wheat germ, 1/2 apple, 1
|tsp oil, 3 oz brussels sprouts, 1/2 oz pasta
|
|Late evening: 3 oz strawberries, 1 cup yogurt, 1 tbs wheat germ, 5oz
|boxed winter squash
|
|Please tell me what you eat during the day to total 2500 calories at
|only 2 pounds.

Fruit smoothie 8 oz, with 4 ox protein blend, nuts (3 oz) avocado (3
oz), cooked veggie plate with salsa (12 oz) and nine grain bread with
olive/onoin bruschetta (5).

I went over the 2 pounds but my caloric intake was around 2,400.

reebok

May 7, 2002, 10:35:45 PM5/7/02
what did they tell you to keep your blood sugar between?

--
John
Webmaster

AIM: reebokEMT

dolores

May 8, 2002, 6:54:56 AM5/8/02
A Newsreader <a_news...@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<Xns92081E7EAFE3Ca...@194.168.222.19>...

I do not eat 800 calories a day. I just took my diet and cut it in
half to show what it would be like if I ate 800 calories a day using
the food I normally eat. Bye the way, this still comes to more than 2
pounds of food--about 2.5 to 3 pounds. That is why I would like Dr.
Chung or someone to come up with some real life portions and menus.

Dolores

dolores

May 8, 2002, 7:05:35 AM5/8/02
Michael Roose <somewhatus...@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<t63hdu8ncao1o1m4o...@4ax.com>...

Stop the presses! You are saying that this is all you eat in one day?
It is high in calories for tthe amount you eat. I am guessing that
the fruit smoothie and protein blend is for breakfast. The other
stuff is divided over the rest of the day? I know I could not do this
even though it is the kind of food I would like to eat

Dolores

dolores

May 8, 2002, 7:20:14 AM5/8/02
kare...@yahoo.com (Karen) wrote in message news:<3cd8253c....@news.cis.dfn.de>...

My glycated hemoglobin is around 5.1 to 5.4 which means an average
between 93 to a little over 100. I was at 9 at diagnosis about 10
years ago.

Choosing a diet is a crap shoot. No one will know until many years in
the future if he has made the right choice. I choose a high fiber
much higher carb diet than most people on these groups who are low
carbing. I personally think low carbing is winning the battle but
losing the war. To each his own.

Dolores

dolores

May 8, 2002, 7:28:25 AM5/8/02
"reebok" <ree...@fileflash.com> wrote in message news:<5a0C8.428399$K52.70...@typhoon.tampabay.rr.com>...

They didn't tell me anything. Thank heaven for the internet. I just
assume that the lower the better. Being a t2 and not on meds I do not
have to worry about hypos.

My doctor handed me a book about diabetes (with diet info) published
by a drug company and a prescription for pills. No mention of an
endocrinologist, nutritionist, diabetes educator. Nothing about the
importance of exercise. The monitor was my idea after some research
on the internet.

Dolores

reebok

May 8, 2002, 8:44:34 AM5/8/02
I can't believe they didn't tell you anything. That's pretty bad.
I was taught 90-140 is normal, but those numbers will vary book by book. So
I was trying to find out what a doc told you would be good, but apparently
they're not sure either ;)

AIM: reebokEMT

"dolores" <sant...@webtv.net> wrote in message
> [...]

Michael Roose

May 8, 2002, 4:35:50 PM5/8/02
On 8 May 2002 04:05:35 -0700, sant...@webtv.net (dolores) wrote:

|> Fruit smoothie 8 oz, with 4 ox protein blend, nuts (3 oz) avocado (3
|> oz), cooked veggie plate with salsa (12 oz) and nine grain bread with
|> olive/onoin bruschetta (5).
|>
|> I went over the 2 pounds but my caloric intake was around 2,400.

|Stop the presses! You are saying that this is all you eat in one day?

That's it.

| It is high in calories for tthe amount you eat.

Except for the fact that I was curious, I never cared to know. some
days I eat differently, some days less, rarely more in weight.

| I am guessing that
|the fruit smoothie and protein blend is for breakfast.

Lunch. Usually with nuts.

| The other
|stuff is divided over the rest of the day?

Some nibbling, yes but about half (12-16 ounces) is eaten at my sit
down meal for dinner whenever that happens (6 - 12 PM). I also drink
2-4 liters of water daily.

| I know I could not do this
|even though it is the kind of food I would like to eat

don't short yourself until you have incrementally backed into the two
pound goal. Chung has a website that will guide you but I think you
can get there with a much less aggressive per week reduction of
weighted food.

Btw, Chung and I disagree on several things and this is one. I don;t
count water content (spaghetti, noodles, fat free milk, etc.) I weigh
it dry and use that amount. he wants to keep things as simple as
possible and I want to mold the diet around a more realistic approach.
He is using Two Pound Diet to address masses of people in his practice
many of which may not be as savvy as you or I. I know and can simply
calculate water content so I do.

Karen

May 8, 2002, 7:51:03 PM5/8/02
On 8 May 2002 04:20:14 -0700, sant...@webtv.net (dolores) wrote:

>> Really great BG for a T2 without meds, Delores. Is that typical?
>
>My glycated hemoglobin is around 5.1 to 5.4 which means an average
>between 93 to a little over 100. I was at 9 at diagnosis about 10
>years ago.
>
>Choosing a diet is a crap shoot. No one will know until many years in
>the future if he has made the right choice. I choose a high fiber
>much higher carb diet than most people on these groups who are low
>carbing. I personally think low carbing is winning the battle but
>losing the war. To each his own.

Your results are excellent. You seem to have done a good job at
controlling your T2. I have a dear old friend who has followed more
conventional advice from her doctor and in deep trouble, healthwise.
I'm very worried about her.

From what I've read, it appears that middle-of-the-road measures don't
work as well as the more radical approaches. And the interesting thing
is that the most successful approaches seem to be very different.
Either very low carbohydrate, or high carbohydrate and fiber with low
fat. At any rate, your results are encouraging and I will share them
with my friend. Thanks.