Swine flu epidemic starting

Taka

Apr 25, 2009, 1:50:33 AM4/25/09
Sixty Swine Flu Fatalities In Mexico Confirm Pandemic Start
April 24, 2009

A rare outbreak of human swine flu has killed at least 60 people in
Mexico and spread to the United States where authorities are on alert,
the World Health Organisation said on Friday.

"To date there have been some 800 suspected cases with flu-like
illness, with 57 deaths in the Mexico City area," Chaib added.

Twenty four suspected cases and three deaths were also recorded in San
Luis Potosi in central Mexico.

The above comment confirm that the swine H1N1 in southwestern United
States (see updated map) is the leading edge of a H1N1 pandemic that
appears to be centered in Mexico.

These deaths should increase the pandemic phase to 6.

Release of sequences from fatal cases in Mexico would be useful.

SOURCE: http://www.recombinomics.com/News/04240903/H1N1_Swine_Mexico_Pandemic.html

MORE: http://www.cdc.gov/flu/swine/investigation.htm

------------------------------------

Those loaded with AA in their cells will die first, it's called
"cytokine storm" ... and fish oil is of no help here!

http://www.cytokinestorm.com/

Taka

trigonometry1972@gmail.com |

Apr 25, 2009, 2:34:37 AM4/25/09
On Apr 24, 10:50 pm, Taka <taka0...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Sixty Swine Flu Fatalities In Mexico Confirm Pandemic Start
> April 24, 2009
>
> A rare outbreak of human swine flu has killed at least 60 people in
> Mexico and spread to the United States where authorities are on alert,
> the World Health Organisation said on Friday.
>
> "To date there have been some 800 suspected cases with flu-like
> illness, with 57 deaths in the Mexico City area," Chaib added.
>
> Twenty four suspected cases and three deaths were also recorded in San
> Luis Potosi in central Mexico.
>
> The above comment confirm that the swine H1N1 in southwestern United
> States (see updated map) is the leading edge of a H1N1 pandemic that
> appears to be centered in Mexico.
>
> These deaths should increase the pandemic phase to 6.
>
> Release of sequences from fatal cases in Mexico would be useful.
>
> SOURCE:http://www.recombinomics.com/News/04240903/H1N1_Swine_Mexico_Pandemic...

> MORE:http://www.cdc.gov/flu/swine/investigation.htm
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> Those loaded with AA in their cells will die first, it's called
> "cytokine storm" ... and fish oil is of no help here!
>
> http://www.cytokinestorm.com/
>
> Taka

Perhaps on the AA but there is some evidence supporting the possible
value of EPA and DHA in the context of respiratory distress for
moderating immune response and inflammation.
See below after my other comments.

Note also some out there are more prone to caughting the virus due age
and the related decrease synthesis of vitamin D3, indoor living
resulting in minimal vitamin D synthesis i.e. many infants, elderly,
pale computer geeks, religiously enforced "modesty",
office workers, factory workers, and dark skin in combination
with all of the above.

I will add fish oil has more fatty FAs than just EPA and DHA
so perhaps a concentrate is be preferred provide it
doesn't have TR phthalate coating as some products
do.

Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care. 2009 Mar;12(2):123-8.
Lipids. 1999 Apr;34(4):317-24.

Docosahexaenoic acid ingestion inhibits natural killer cell activity
and production of inflammatory mediators in young healthy men.

Kelley DS, Taylor PC, Nelson GJ, Schmidt PC, Ferretti A, Erickson KL,
Yu R,
Chandra RK, Mackey BE.

USDA, ARS, Western Human Nutrition Research Center, Presidio of San
Francisco, California 94129, USA. Dke...@whnrc.usda.gov

The purpose of this study was to examine the effects of feeding
docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) as triacylglycerol on the fatty acid
composition, eicosanoid production, and select activities of human
peripheral blood mononuclear cells (PBMNC). A 120-d study with 11
healthy men was conducted at the Metabolic Research Unit of Western
Human Nutrition Reach Center. Four subjects (control group) were fed
the stabilization diet throughout the study; the remaining seven
subjects were fed the basal diet for the first 30 d, followed by 6 g
DHA/d for the next 90 d. DHA replaced an equivalent amount of linoleic
acid; the two diets
were comparable in their total fat and all other nutrients. Both diets
were supplemented with 20 mg D alpha-tocopherol acetate per day. PBMNC
fatty acid composition and eicosanoid production were examined on day
30 and 113; immune
cell functions were tested on day 22, 30, 78, 85, 106, and 113. DHA
feeding increased its concentration from 2.3 to 7.4 wt% in the PBMNC
total lipids, and decreased arachidonic acid concentration from 19.8
to 10.7 wt%. It also lowered
prostaglandin E2 (PGE2) and leukotriene B4 (LTB4) production, in
response to lipopolysaccharide, by 60-75%. Natural killer cell
activity and in vitro secretion of interleukin-1beta and tumor
necrosis factor alpha were significantly reduced by DHA feeding. These
parameters remained unchanged in the subjects fed
the control diet. B-cell functions as reported here and T-cell
functions that we reported previously were not altered by DHA feeding.
Our results show that inhibitory effects of DHA on immune cell
functions varied with the cell type, and
that the inhibitory effects are not mediated through increased
production of PGE2 and LTB4.

PMID: 10443964

Enteral omega-3 in acute respiratory distress syndrome.

Singer P, Shapiro H.

Department of General Intensive Care, Institute for Nutrition
Research, Rabin Medical Center, Beilinson Hospital, Petah Tikva 49100,
Israel.
psi...@clalit.org.il

PURPOSE OF REVIEW:
The acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS) is a severe
illness that is often the cause of death in ICU patients. A safe and
effective intervention for this condition is lacking. Fish oil-based
enteral nutrition [rich in n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFAs) and
antioxidants] improved clinical outcomes in a previous trial on ARDS
patients but was ineffective, or even harmful in other studies
utilizing different fish oil formulae (rich in n-3
PUFAs and arginine) in severely ill ICU patients. Until most recently,
consistent evidence that enteral n-3 PUFA is therapeutic in ARDS was
lacking.

RECENT FINDINGS:
In ARDS, an overwhelming inflammatory response damages the
endothelial-alveolar units, reducing oxygen diffusion and increasing
pulmonary workload. n-3 PUFA targets this inflammatory response. In
two recent randomized,
controlled studies, the fish oil formula that was previously shown to
be effective was administered to patients with ARDS/acute lung injury
(in which hypoxia is less severe) and to patients with severe sepsis
and hypoxia, respectively. n-3 PUFA feeding improved oxygenation, and
a meta-analysis of the
three studies demonstrated that enteral fish oil reduces mortality,
complications and length of ICU stay.

SUMMARY:
Enteral administration of fish oil, antioxidants
and physiologic amounts of arginine improve oxygenation and clinical
outcomes in ICU patients with impaired oxygenation. Whether n-3 PUFA
per se produces such
benefit is the subject of an ongoing clinical study.

PMID: 19202383

1: Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care. 2008 Mar;11(2):121-7.

Fish oil in critical illness.

Mayer K, Seeger W.

Department of Internal Medicine, Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine,
Justus
Liebig University Giessen, Germany. konstant...@innere.med.uni-
giessen.de

PURPOSE OF REVIEW:
The aim of this review is to discuss recent advances in therole of n-3
lipids derived from fish oil in clinical nutrition in an intensivecare
setting.

RECENT FINDINGS:
Fish oil supplies n-3 fatty acids which compete
with arachidonic acid (n-6) for the conversion to lipid mediators,
influence lipid-bound second messenger generation and dependent
cellular functions, and are a source for resolvins necessary for the
resolution of inflammation. Enteral
nutrition with n-3 fatty acids improved ventilation time in patients
with acute lung injury and in one study reduced mortality in septic
patients. Using a high-dose short-term infusion of fish oil-based
lipid emulsion, rapid immunologic changes and effects on the endotoxin-
induced stress response may be achieved.
Inclusion of n-3 fatty acids in parenteral nutrition improved
immunologic parameters and length of stay in surgical patients.

SUMMARY:
Inclusion of fish oil in nutrition may influence the immune response
and clinical outcomes by balancing the negative effects of n-6 fatty
acids. Application as a part of enteral immunonutrition in surgical or
acute respiratory distress syndrome
patients and in lipid emulsions in surgical patients has beneficial
effects. In septic patients, data on enteral use are highly
controversial. Prospective data from randomized trials, however, are
lacking.

PMID: 18301086

Taka

Apr 25, 2009, 9:52:16 AM4/25/09
Natural Antivirals

Regular readers know that I have no time for the nonsense relating to
imagined bird-flu pandemics. However. I regarded the following item of
sufficient novelty to be of some interest. You may judge its merits
for yourself.

Research suggests certain natural foods may be as effective against
virus H5N1 as commercial antivirals.

(PRWEB) May 10, 2006 -- A Biology teacher from Australia, named
Stephen Jones, has done extensive research into the H5N1 virus and
compiled a list of natural foods that are effective against it and
listed others that are detrimental.

The list may come as a surprise to many people since foods such as
spirulina and echinacea are listed as detrimental. This strange
occurrence is largely due to the fact that the virus is immune to 2
cytokines that the body produces (TNF-a and IL-6). Cytokines are
compounds produced by the body’s immune system that attack and remove
foreign bodies. The problem is that when a foreign body is immune to
certain cytokines, the body sees that its immune response is not
working and tries even harder, which can lead to what is called a
cytokine storm, where the body becomes flooded with these compounds
and they eventually destroy the body itself. Foods such as Echinacea
actually stimulate the production of these specific cytokines; hence
consuming it is not a good idea if one suspects they may have the
virus.

During the 1918 Spanish Flu many healthy young people died from
cytokine storms due to their immune systems overreacting. Consuming
foods which suppress the production of cytokines TNF-a and IL-6 and
enhance the production of the ones that actually are effective against
the virus will aid the patient greatly.

Other foods that create mucous in the respiratory tract, such as
bananas, are also listed as detrimental due to the fact that the
predominant breeding ground of the virus is the respiratory tract and
another way in which a patient may suffer is due to the body's over
production of mucous in this area.

Folk Medicines and Herbs to use and avoid with Bird Flu

Below is a list of foods that are said to contain substances that are
natural antivirals, immune boosters or they decrease cytokines TNF-a
and IL-6.

Alternative medications that are most likely to help us during a
severe pandemic:

Garlic (allicin) - Very effective antiviral. Best if fresh (raw) and
crushed. Must be consumed within 1 hour of crushing. Dosage is
initially 2 to 3 cloves per day but later reduce until no body odour
occurs. No toxic effects noted. (Pubmed PMID 9049657)

Vitamin C - Boosts the immune system and is an antiviral by blocking
the enzyme neuraminadase. Viruses need neuraminadase to reproduce.
There are anecdotal stories of people taking large amounts of Vitamin
C (children ½) surviving the Spanish Flu. Research shows that it may
reduce the production of cytokines TNF-a and IL-6. A study on 470
people involved giving the test group 1000 mg hourly for 6 hours and
then 1000 mg 3 times daily after reporting flu symptoms. Symptoms
decreased by 85%. (Pubmed PMID 10543583, 634178, 16169205, 12876306)

Green Tea (possible Tamiflu/Relenza alternative)- Very effective
antiviral. Also decreases the production of the cytokine (catechins)
TNF-a. Inhibits neuraminidase. May have antiviral activity that is
equal to other antivirals such as Tamiflu. (Pubmed PMID 16137775)

St Johns Wort (Hypericum) - Very effective antiviral. Also decreases
the production of the cytokine IL-6. Hypericum is an extract from St
John’s Wort. There have been some very successful field trials in
commercial flocks infected with H5N1 in Vietnam. (Pubmed PMID 7857513,
11518071, 11362353, 7857513, 11518071)

Vitamin E - Immune booster. Also decreases the production of the
cytokine TNF-a. (Pubmed PMID 155882360, 10929076) Experiments involved
using mice. Very suitable for immune compromised people, especially
the elderly. Effects enhanced when taken with Vitamin C.

Apple Juice - Antiviral. Fresh apple juice including the pulp and skin
has greater antiviral activity than heated commercial apple juice.
More research is needed. Effectiveness on H5N1 is unknown. (Pubmed
PMID 32832, 12452634)

Resveratrol - Antiviral. In addition to inhibiting neuraminidase,
Resveratrol also sends a message to cells to stop manufacturing
viruses. This is a proven antiviral found naturally in red wine,
peanuts, mulberries, Japanese Knotwood root (richest source), raisins
and red grapes. Resveratrol supplements are relatively inexpensive,
are more stable than wine and is available in liquid form for
absorption in the mouth. No toxic effects noted. (Pubmed PMID 1583880,
12817628, 15985724)

Scuttellaria (Skullcap) - Antiviral. A herb used as a tea. It has no
side effects and is also a mild tranquilliser. Research suggests
neuraminidase, which is a substance needed by the H5N1 virus to
reproduce, may be inhibited.

Cranberry Juice - Early research shows that it may be an antiviral,
making viruses less able to invade or multiply. Effectiveness on H5N1
is unknown. (Pubmed PMID15781126)

Cat’s Claw (Uncaria tomentosa) - Decreases the production of the
cytokine TNF-a. Also boosts immune system. The number of white blood
cells was significantly increased during treatment. No toxicity was
noted. (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?
CMD=search&DB=pubmed) Active constituents can be found in the leaves,
bark, vine, and roots. Water extraction from bark used. Children and
pregnant women are to avoid. Has a potentially damaging effect on the
DNA of proliferating cells. (cancers, foetuses, growing children)

Curcumin (Tumeric Spice) - Decreases the production of the cytokine
TNF-a. This is the yellow compound in turmeric spice. Research shows
that this may be very good for preventing a cytokine storm although
this is not proven. Must be taken with food or gastritis or peptic
ulcers may occur. Pregnant women and feeding mothers should avoid
this. The medicinal properties of curcurnin cannot be utilised when
used alone due to rapid metabolism in the liver and intestinal wall.
When combined with Piperine found in black pepper the absorption is
increased with no adverse effects. Obtainable from health stores in
tablets, liquid, capsules already combined with piperine. Dosage is
500mg to 4000mg daily.

Astragalus root (Astragali Radix) - Boosts immune system. (Pubmed
PMID15588652)

Tea tree Steam Inhalation - Reduces the cytokine TNF-a. Add 2 drops of
tea tree oil in a bowl of steaming water. Cover head with a towel and
inhale for 5 to 10 minutes. Relieves congestion and fights infection.
Its effectiveness is unknown. (Pubmed PMID 11131302)

The following substances may be best to avoid during a H5N1 pandemic

Elderberry juice (Sambucal) - AVOID - Increases production of
cytokines TNF-a and IL-6. This substance is very effective against the
common flu but may not be desirable for the H5N1 virus. Increases in
these cytokines may trigger a lethal cytokine storm. (Isr Med
Journal2002 Nov;4:944-6)

Micro Algae (Chlorella and Spirulina) - AVOID - Increases production
of cytokine TNF-a. (Pubmed PMID 11731916)

Honey - AVOID - Increases production of cytokines TNF-a and IL-6.
(Pubmed PMID12824009)

Chocolate - AVOID - Increases production of cytokines TNF-a and IL-6.
(Pubmed PMID 12885154, PMID 10917928)

Echinacea - AVOID - Increases production of cytokines TNF-a and IL-6.
Although it is often used for normal flu, research shows that it may
increase the chance of cytokine storms for H5N1. (Pubmed PMID
15556647, 9568541)

Kimchi - AVOID - Increases production of cytokines TNF-a and IL-6.
(Pubmed PMID15630182)

Dairy products & Bananas - AVOID - These foods increase mucous
production.

SOURCE: http://www.the-health-gazette.com/health-gazette-blog/alternative-medicine/natural-antivirals

Zrupfter

Apr 26, 2009, 11:05:33 AM4/26/09
> "Taka" <taka...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Research suggests certain natural foods may be as effective against
> virus H5N1 as commercial antivirals....
> [...]

> Honey - AVOID - Increases production of cytokines TNF-a and IL-6.
> (Pubmed PMID12824009).....
> SOURCE:
http://www.the-health-gazette.com/health-gazette-blog/alternative-medicine/natural-antivirals

Thanks Taka for a link to this excellent summary.
The only thing I would have expanded on is that in addition
to dairy, ALL simple sugars impair the immune system to varying
degrees -- including fructose, corn syrup, white / brown sugar,
molasses, etc., AND honey.
Doesn't make sense that they included honey on a list of remedies
which supposedly help the immune system against non-H5N1 viral
infections.

trigonometry1972@gmail.com |

Apr 27, 2009, 8:05:34 AM4/27/09
On Apr 26, 8:05 am, "Zrupfter" <zrupf...@myinter.net> wrote:

> > "Taka" <taka0...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Research suggests certain natural foods may be as effective against
> > virus H5N1 as commercial antivirals....
> > [...]
> > Honey - AVOID - Increases production of cytokines TNF-a and IL-6.
> > (Pubmed PMID12824009).....
> > SOURCE:
>
> http://www.the-health-gazette.com/health-gazette-blog/alternative-med...

> Thanks Taka for a link to this excellent summary.
> The only thing I would have expanded on is that in addition
> to dairy, ALL simple sugars impair the immune system to varying
> degrees -- including fructose, corn syrup, white / brown sugar,
> molasses, etc., AND honey.
> Doesn't make sense that they included honey on a list of remedies
> which supposedly help the immune system against non-H5N1 viral
> infections.

Honey as I recall contains an antiseptic of some sort.
It is claimed that its toxicity explains why mead 9an
alcohol containing drink) made from fermented
honey solution is said to cause especially savage hangovers.
When I was a little kid in comb honey tended to trigger
headaches.

Mead the drink of some of my ancestors.........Trig

rpautrey2

Apr 27, 2009, 11:30:31 AM4/27/09

rpautrey2

Apr 27, 2009, 11:32:07 AM4/27/09
On Apr 26, 10:05 am, "Zrupfter" <zrupf...@myinter.net> wrote:
> The only thing I would have expanded on is that in addition
> to dairy, ALL simple sugars impair the immune system to varying
> degrees -- including fructose, corn syrup, white / brown sugar,
> molasses, etc., AND honey.

Good Point!

On Apr 26, 10:05 am, "Zrupfter" <zrupf...@myinter.net> wrote:

> > "Taka" <taka0...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Research suggests certain natural foods may be as effective against
> > virus H5N1 as commercial antivirals....
> > [...]
> > Honey - AVOID - Increases production of cytokines TNF-a and IL-6.
> > (Pubmed PMID12824009).....
> > SOURCE:
>

> http://www.the-health-gazette.com/health-gazette-blog/alternative-med...

Taka

Apr 28, 2009, 9:15:24 AM4/28/09

Taka

Apr 28, 2009, 12:14:33 PM4/28/09
Protect yourself against flu viruses

Black elderberries could hold the key to staying well through a
pandemic

With winter only just behind us and another flu pandemic looming over
us, it’s important we are doing everything we can to boost our immune
system and beat flu bugs fast. Thankfully there’s a natural way to do
both quickly and easily.

Clinical studies show that black elderberries could hold the key to
combating flu viruses, and one black elderberry extract manufacturer
has stockpiled over 130 tonnes of raw materials – that’s 2.5 million
bottles – in preparation for a potential flu pandemic.

In a recent randomised, double blind, placebo controlled study, black
elderberry extract was shown to reduce the duration of influenza by
around four days2. This study adds weight to earlier research which
found that within three days, the symptoms of influenza were relieved
in nearly 90 per cent of cases treated with black elderberry extract,
compared to six days in the placebo group3.

Black elderberries are thought to contain a unique compound, which
coats viruses and prevents them from penetrating and infecting healthy
cells. As a result viruses, such as flu, are unable to replicate. The
body’s white blood cells are then able to ingest the infected cells,
effectively removing the virus from the body.

Black elderberries also contain high levels of natural antioxidants
known as flavonoids which help strengthen the immune system against
attack; indeed the black elderberry has twice the antioxidant capacity
of blueberries and almost twice the antioxidant capability of
cranberries4.

Expert immunologist and registered medical herbalist Dr Serene Foster
says: “Black elderberries have been traditionally used to help protect
against a range of viral ailments, including flu, because of their
natural immune health properties. Recent research has confirmed that
these dark purple fruits contain a unique compound which helps the
immune system to fight back against various strains of flu.”

For more information and research on clinical trials on black
elderberry visit the website www.blackelderberry.info

Taka

May 13, 2009, 5:33:54 AM5/13/09
Swine Flu May Be Human Error; WHO Investigates Claim

The World Health Organization is investigating a claim by an
Australian researcher that the swine flu virus circling the globe may
have been created as a result of human error.

Adrian Gibbs, 75, who collaborated on research that led to the
development of Roche Holding AG’s Tamiflu drug, said in an interview
that he intends to publish a report suggesting the new strain may have
accidentally evolved in eggs scientists use to grow viruses and
drugmakers use to make vaccines. Gibbs said he came to his conclusion
as part of an effort to trace the virus’s origins by analyzing its
genetic blueprint.

“One of the simplest explanations is that it’s a laboratory escape,”
Gibbs said in an interview with Bloomberg Television today. “But there
are lots of others.”

The World Health Organization received the study last weekend and is
reviewing it, Keiji Fukuda, the agency’s assistant director-general of
health security and environment, said in an interview May 11. Gibbs,
who has studied germ evolution for four decades, is one of the first
scientists to analyze the genetic makeup of the virus that was
identified three weeks ago in Mexico and threatens to touch off the
first flu pandemic since 1968.

A virus that resulted from lab experimentation or vaccine production
may indicate a greater need for security, Fukuda said. By pinpointing
the source of the virus, scientists also may better understand the
microbe’s potential for spreading and causing illness, Gibbs said.

Possible Mistake

“The sooner we get to grips with where it’s come from, the safer
things might become,” Gibbs said by phone from Canberra yesterday. “It
could be a mistake” that occurred at a vaccine production facility or
the virus could have jumped from a pig to another mammal or a bird
before reaching humans, he said.

Gibbs and two colleagues analyzed the publicly available sequences of
hundreds of amino acids coded by each of the flu virus’s eight genes.
He said he aims to submit his three-page paper today for publication
in a medical journal.

“You really want a very sober assessment” of the science behind the
claim, Fukuda said May 11 at the WHO’s Geneva headquarters.

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta has
received the report and has decided there is no evidence to support
Gibbs’s conclusion, said Nancy Cox, director of the agency’s influenza
division. She said since researchers don’t have samples of swine flu
viruses from South America and Africa, where the new strain may have
evolved, those regions can’t be ruled out as natural sources for the
new flu.

No Evidence

“We are interested in the origins of this new influenza virus,” Cox
said. “But contrary to what the author has found, when we do the
comparisons that are most relevant, there is no evidence that this
virus was derived by passage in eggs.”

The WHO’s collaborative influenza research centers, which includes the
CDC, and sites in Memphis, Melbourne, London and Tokyo, were asked by
the international health agency to review the study over the weekend,
Fukuda said. The request was extended to scientists at the Food and
Agriculture Organization in Rome, the World Organization for Animal
Health in Paris, as well as the WHO’s influenza network, he said.

“My guess is that the picture should be a lot clearer over the next
few days,” Fukuda said. “We have asked a lot of people to look at
this.”

Virus Expert

Gibbs wrote or co-authored more than 250 scientific publications on
viruses during his 39-year career at the Australian National
University in Canberra, according to biographical information on the
university’s Web site.

Swine flu has infected 5,251 people in 30 countries so far, killing
61, according to WHO data. Scientists are trying to determine whether
the virus will mutate and become more deadly if it spreads to the
Southern Hemisphere and back. Flu pandemics occur when a strain of the
disease to which few people have immunity evolves and spreads.

Gibbs said his analysis supports research by scientists including
Richard Webby, a virologist at St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital
in Memphis, who found the new strain is the product of two distinct
lineages of influenza that have circulated among swine in North
America and Europe for more than a decade.

In addition, Gibbs said his research found the rate of genetic
mutation in the new virus was about three times faster than that of
the most closely related viruses found in pigs, suggesting it evolved
outside of swine.

Gene Evolution

“Whatever speeded up the evolution of these genes happened at least
seven or eight years ago, so one wonders, why hasn’t it been found?”
Gibbs said today.

Some scientists have speculated that the 1977 Russian flu, the most
recent global outbreak, began when a virus escaped from a laboratory.

Identifying the source of new flu viruses is difficult without finding
the exact strain in an animal or bird “reservoir,” said Jennifer
McKimm-Breschkin, a virologist at the Commonwealth Science and
Industrial Research Organization in Melbourne.

“If you can’t find an exact match, the best you can do is compare
sequences,” she said. “Similarities may give an indication of a
possible source, but this remains theoretical.”

The World Organization for Animal Health, which represents chief
veterinary officers from 174 countries, received the Gibbs paper and
is working with the WHO on an assessment, said Maria Zampaglione, a
spokeswoman.

Genetic Patterns

The WHO wants to know whether any evidence that the virus may have
been developed in a laboratory can be corroborated and whether there
are other explanations for its particular genetic patterns, according
to Fukuda.

“These things have to be dealt with straight on,” he said. “If someone
makes a hypothesis, then you test it and you let scientific process
take its course.”

Gibbs said he has no evidence that the swine-derived virus was a
deliberate, man-made product.

“I don’t think it could be a malignant thing,” he said. “It’s much
more likely that some random thing has put these two viruses
together.”

Gibbs, who spent most of his academic career studying plant viruses,
said his major contribution to the study of influenza occurred in
1975, while collaborating with scientists Graeme Laver and Robert
Webster in research that led to the development of the anti-flu
medicines Tamiflu and Relenza, made by GlaxoSmithKline Plc.

Bird Poo

“We were out on one of the Barrier Reef islands, off Australia,
catching birds for the flu in them, and I happened to be the guy who
caught the best,” Gibbs said. The bird he got “yielded the poo from
which was isolated the influenza isolate strain from which all the
work on Tamiflu and Relenza started.”

Gibbs, who says he studies the evolution of flu viruses as a
“retirement hobby,” expects his research to be challenged by other
scientists.

“This is how science progresses,” he said. “Somebody comes up with a
wild idea, and then they all pounce on it and kick you to death, and
then you start off on another silly idea.”

SOURCE: http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601082&sid=aShZig0Cig4g&refer=canada

Taka

May 18, 2009, 9:37:20 PM5/18/09
Probiotics Calm a Cytokine Storm

A cytokine storm can kill you. It occurs when a very severe viral
infection (such as Swine Flu H1N1 or Bird Flu H5N1) takes control of
your immune system, over activating it to where normal feedback loops
designed to calm things down fail to operate. Your immune system
becomes a runaway freight train where high fever, massive
inflammation, extreme fatigue, vomiting and diarrhea dominate every
minute of your existence. Most of the 25 million people that died in
the 1918 Spanish Flu pandemic died from a cytokine storm. You don’t
want to be caught in a cytokine storm.

On a clinical level here’s what can happen when a severe viral
infection hits (current swine flu exemplified):

1. A droplet containing the H1N1 virus is inhaled by a person. The
infection incubates for 24-72 hours before fever, nausea and fatigue
set in.

2. The body’s T-cells (T-helper cells to be exact) send out cytokines
(chemical messages) that activate disease fighting white blood cells
(macrophages and B-cells).

3. The activated macrophages and B-cells produce more cytokines in a
viscous uncontrolled cycle (normally stopped by T-regulatory cells
with less virulent infections). These additional cytokines further
increase the body’s reaction to the infection – life threatening
circumstances develop. For example, fluids and immune cells like
macrophages accumulate in the lungs and block airways.

What does the CDC and the U.S. Government tell us to do?Answer: Wash
hands frequently and stay home of you’re sick. How many billions did
it cost to get that advice studied and approved?

So what can proactive people really do to protect themselves?

Here is our best recommendation:
1. Take a high potency probiotic. Probiotics help calm a cytokine
storm with their ability to colonize and keep healthy the intestinal
mucosa and by boosting the number of T-regulatory cells (the ones that
shut down cytokine production). Since >70% of the immune systems
response initiates in the gut, keeping its surfaces healthy is Job #1
in slowing dysfunctional immune activity. The best probiotic to take
according to recommendations by leading health care professionals and
doctors is Theralac® (see www.theralac.com). This product contains
five human probiotic strains guaranteed through expiration at 20
billion CFU (colony forming units) per capsule and has a patented bio-
gel delivery system that assures live delivery through the stomach
into the small intestine. Although one capsule daily is considered a
high potency dose, 2 capsules every 2-4 hours is recommended in cases
of severe infections (up to 12 capsules per 24 hour period). This
amount will usually result in loose stools but will provide
overwhelming probiotic notification of mucosal surfaces – which, by
competitive exclusion, keeps most pathogens in check. Theralac® has
been recommended in Prevention Magazine (June ’07), in the Blaylock
Wellness Report (Oct. ’06, May ’07 and Apr. ’08), in Natural Health
magazine ( Nov. ’08 and Mar. ’09), and in The Probiotics Revolution by
Dr. Gary Huffnagle, (Bantam Books).

2. Take specific dietary supplements that reduce cytokine production.
The following supplements have the ability to quench the production of
cytokines such as TNF-alpha, and Interluken-6 (usually produced in a
cytokine storm): Garlic (take 2-3 crushed cloves per day). Vitamin C
(1,000 mg hourly during “storms”). Green Tea (Very effective
antiviral), Resveratrol, Cats Claw (Uncaria tomentosa), Curcumin
(Tumeric spice – must take with food), and Vitamin E (High gamma
type). There are others but these are the big ones. Use Google for
more information on them. I recommend that at least three of these be
taken in cases of severe infection along with a high potency probiotic
like Theralac® (Note: Theralac now has a companion probiotic called
TruFlora™ that can be rotated with Theralac for enhanced intestinal
biodiversity – see www.truflora.com ).

3. Do not take supplements or foods that enhance cytokine production.
Examples of these include: Elderberry juice (Sambucol), Spirulina and
Chlorella algae, Honey, Chocolate, Echinacea, Kimchi. Most of these
increase TNF-alpha and/or IL-6 cytokine production -- providing short
term benefit for lesser infections such as typical colds and flu but
not desirable at all for severe viral infections such as swine or bird
flu.

What about other products and testing?

I get asked the question: Are these above methods proven with placebo
controlled, double-blind studies? The answer is no. A question back
is: Are Tamiflu or Relenza proven by such studies on the current swine
flu strain? The answer is no. Have Tamiflu and Relenza been proven to
be ineffective on avian flu (bird flu) in Asia? The answer is yes. Are
the above supplements all food grade with a long history of safe use –
yes. Are Tamiflu and Relenza food grade substances that are commonly
eaten – no. You can take it from here.

SOURCE: http://www.acidophilus-immune-health.com/cytokinestorm.aspx

Taka

May 18, 2009, 9:39:21 PM5/18/09
Swine Flu? Smoke em if you got it; Nicotine can stop Cytokine Storm

What often kills people who catch Swine Flu is not the virus itself
but the body’s immune system reaction which is called a cytokine
storm. Ironically this often occurs in young, healthy people with good
immune systems which is why the Swine Flu seems to be more dangerous
to people between 20-50.

“If a cytokine storm occurs in the lungs, for example, fluids and
immune cells such as macrophages may accumulate and eventually block
off the airways, potentially resulting in death”

While this may sound completely insane, there have been studies
showing that nicotine can reduce a cytokine storm and the ensuing
inflammation. One such article detailing this information was “Body
Blazes” by Lisa Melton published in Scientific American in June 2006:

Body Blazes
Lisa Melton
Scientific American; Jun2006, Vol. 294 Issue 6, p24-24, 1p, 1 color

HOW NICOTINE STOPS INFLAMMATION COULD LEAD TO NEW DRUGS

* Nicotine has undergone * an image overhaul, at least biomedically.
In
the past few years researchers have found that the substance can
alleviate symptoms of ailments such as Alzheimer's disease and
ulcerative colitis. Just how nicotine battles these foes, however, has
remained unclear. Now, by studying sepsis, Luis Ulloa of North Shore
University Hospital in Manhasset, N.Y., has evidence elucidating
nicotine's biochemical pathways that could lead to more potent
anti-inflammatory drugs.

Sepsis, the most lethal of inflammatory conditions, is a bacterial
invasion of the bloodstream. The third leading cause of death in the
developed world, it accounts for nearly 10 percent of overall deaths
in
the U.S. every year. Infection causes part of the damage, but what
makes
patients critically ill is their own fiercely aggressive immune
response. Macrophages churn out huge quantities of proinflammatory
cytokines. This exaggerated immune response leads to tissue damage,
and
eventually the patient dies of cardiovascular dysfunction and
multiorgan
failure.

Ulloa and his collaborators have found something remarkable: nicotine
can shut down this overshooting inflammatory response, to the point of
reversing sepsis in mice. As far as anti-inflammatory treatments go,
this is powerful stuff. "Nicotine taps into the body's own potent
anti-inflammatory mechanisms," Ulloa explained in February at a
Novartis
Foundation meeting in London. "That is the beauty of our approach. By
using nicotine, we are copying physiological mechanisms that have been
selected by evolution to modulate the immune system."

Specifically, nicotine mimics acetylcholine, the Cinderella of
neurotransmitters. Largely ignored over the years, acetylcholine has
been catapulted into a starring role, linking the nervous and the
immune
systems. Through acetylcholine the nervous system controls the
inflammatory fires that constantly crop up in our bodies. Receptors
for
acetylcholine reside not only on nerve cell endings but also on immune
cells. Nicotine binds and activates these receptors, allowing cross
talk
between the brain and immune system.

"This is something quite phenomenal," comments Wouter de Jonge of the
Academic Medical Center Amsterdam, who studies how macrophages respond
to acetylcholine. "Smokers suffering from ulcerative colitis seemed to
benefit from their habit, so there were hints that nicotine could
ameliorate inflammatory diseases, but nobody could get a handle on
it,"
he notes.

Now Ulloa's group may have provided an explanation for the positive
effects that nicotine has on illnesses as diverse as schizophrenia,
Alzheimer's, Parkinson's disease, Tourette's syndrome and ulcerative
colitis. In laboratory experiments, Ulloa demonstrated that nicotine
latches onto the nicotinic receptors on macrophages and stops them
from
spewing out inflammatory cytokines. This clampdown is brutally
effective. The researchers also identified the specific receptor
subtype, the alpha-7 acetylcholine receptor, that nicotine binds in
macrophages to stop cytokine production.

But as a drug, nicotine is fraught with toxicity issues. Apart from
its
addictive nature, it can lead to cardiovascular problems and
contribute
to cancer. "No one is looking to use nicotine to treat inflammation,"
Ulloa says. "We want to design specific compounds that will target
this
receptor to take advantage of nicotine's anti-inflammatory effects
while
eluding its collateral toxicity."

"This is one of the great stories in immunology in the past few years—
no
question about it," remarks Mitchell Fink, an expert in critical care
medicine at the University of Pittsburgh. A selective nicotinelike
compound may be a promising therapy not only for sepsis but for a
whole
slew of chronic conditions, including heart disease, cancer and
diabetes. The task at hand is to find the best surrogate for nicotine.
Ulloa's petri dishes are the ones to watch.

A NICK OF NICOTINE

As a potent anti-inflammatory, nicotine can damp down a dangerous
immune
response. But it is too risky as a treatment. Fortunately, substitutes
may exist. Pharmaceutical firms have developed nicotinelike drugs,
such
as GTS-21, that were designed to stimulate the alpha-7 acetylcholine
receptors in the brains of patients with Alzheimer's disease. But the
clinical trials failed to show a clear benefit, and the drugs were
dropped. The compounds may have been unable to cross the blood-brain
barrier—which would actually be a plus for an anti-inflammatory,
because
then it could target the periphery and avoid the brain. Researchers
have
begun testing such substitutes to combat inflammation.

SOURCE: http://coloyan.com/blog/2009/04/28/swine-flu-smoke-em-if-you-got-it/

Taka

May 18, 2009, 9:42:36 PM5/18/09
Speaking of cytokine/TNFa storm - those with AA in their cells be
worried:

Characterization of arachidonic acid-induced apoptosis

Leslie A. Wolf1 and Scott M. Laster

Tumor necrosis factor (TNF) can induce apoptosis in a number of
different cell types. This response often depends on the activity of
cytosolic phospholipase A2 (cPLA2), which catalyzes the release of
arachidonic acid from the sn-2 position of membrane phospholipids. In
this study, we investigate the ability of arachidonic acid itself to
cause cell death. We show that in assays with 10% fetal bovine serum
(FBS) arachidonic acid will not kill, nor does act synergistically
with TNF. In contrast, by lowering the concentration of FBS to 2% it
is possible to use arachidonic acid to induce cell death. Arachidonic
acid-induced cell death was judged to be apoptotic based on morphology
and the cleavage of poly (ADP) ribose polymerase. Arachidonic acid was
able to kill all cell lines tested including two human melanoma-
derived cell lines, and susceptibility to arachidonic acid was not
influenced by adenovirus gene products that control susceptibility to
TNF. Finally, we show that arachidonic acid is unique among 20 carbon
fatty acids for its ability to induce apoptosis and that several other
unsaturated, but not saturated fatty acids can also induce apoptosis.

SOURCE: http://www.springerlink.com/content/58vk9r6h26mm237j/

Marshall Price

Jun 7, 2009, 12:55:11 AM6/7/09
Taka wrote:
> [...]

> Chlorella algae, Honey, Chocolate, Echinacea, Kimchi. Most of these
> increase TNF-alpha and/or IL-6 cytokine production -- providing short
> term benefit for lesser infections such as typical colds and flu but
> not desirable at all for severe viral infections such as swine or bird
> flu.
>

> What about other products and testing?
>
> I get asked the question: Are these above methods proven with placebo
> controlled, double-blind studies? The answer is no. A question back
> is: Are Tamiflu or Relenza proven by such studies on the current swine
> flu strain? The answer is no. Have Tamiflu and Relenza been proven to
> be ineffective on avian flu (bird flu) in Asia? The answer is yes. Are
> the above supplements all food grade with a long history of safe use �

> yes. Are Tamiflu and Relenza food grade substances that are commonly

A spell-checker can't tell you "viscous" isn't the word you're looking for!

Marshall Price

Jun 7, 2009, 1:09:11 AM6/7/09
Taka wrote:
> Swine Flu? Smoke em if you got it; Nicotine can stop Cytokine Storm
>
> Body Blazes Lisa Melton Scientific American; Jun2006, Vol. 294 Issue
> 6, p24-24, 1p, 1 color
>
> HOW NICOTINE STOPS INFLAMMATION COULD LEAD TO NEW DRUGS
>
> * Nicotine has undergone * an image overhaul, at least biomedically.
> In the past few years researchers have found that the substance can
> alleviate symptoms of ailments such as Alzheimer's disease and
> ulcerative colitis.

> "No one is looking to use nicotine to treat inflammation," Ulloa

> says. "We want to design specific compounds that will target this
> receptor to take advantage of nicotine's anti-inflammatory effects
> while eluding its collateral toxicity."
>

> SOURCE:
> http://coloyan.com/blog/2009/04/28/swine-flu-smoke-em-if-you-got-it/

I wonder whether nicotinic acid or nicotinamide (both known as vitamin
B3) might help with swine flu. They've been shown to prevent the
neurofibrillary plaques of Alzheimer's, if I'm not mistaken. It has
something to do with "sirtuins", IIRC.