I love fruit, BUT...

R.T.

Jan 31, 2003, 9:20:57 PM1/31/03
...It seems as though when I load up on certain types of fruits within a
two or three day period, such as grapes, oranges, tangerines and
pineapple, I break out some on my back and/or shoulders. I'm convinced
that it's the fruit consumption that causes this, because I can eat just
meats, fishes and vegetables, and the breakouts completely clear up and
no new blemishes are formed. Maybe I'm mistaken about the
previously-named fruits being the culprit--and it's the apples and
bananas that I eat instead. It's just a funny thing that whenever I
eliminate fruit from my diet my shoulders and back are completely clear
after a short period of time.

I wonder if anyone else in the world experiences this same sort of
problem when they consume fruit on a consistent basis? Any of you guys
ever heard of this? Citrus problems maybe?

Roman

Feb 1, 2003, 11:54:22 AM2/1/03
"R.T." <1...@456.com> wrote in message

I have noticed that too. But for me, more is involved --
digestion/elimination systems are affected as well. And grains and starchy
veggies cause this too. So, I eat mostly animal based foods.

Roman

pearlf

Feb 2, 2003, 4:08:02 AM2/2/03
"Roman" <r_...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

I eat a lot of fruit and find that whenever I combine fruits, I get a few
red bumps on my face, arms and maybe legs. They disappear without a trace
within a day or so. This also happens after exercise outdoors (jogging). I
assume it's a general, albeit very short-lived, allergic response. Check to
see if your problem might be combinations of fruit.

I've also heard anecdotes that fruit lead to increased acidity of the blood
(of course, still within accepted medical constrains - but just on the low
border of the healthy, neutral range). Does anyone know anything about this
and how it might involve the immune system?

Pearlf

Roman

Feb 2, 2003, 12:13:38 PM2/2/03
"pearlf" <ice_*remove_this*cor...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message

> I eat a lot of fruit and find that whenever I combine fruits, I get a few
> red bumps on my face, arms and maybe legs. They disappear without a trace
> within a day or so. This also happens after exercise outdoors (jogging). I
> assume it's a general, albeit very short-lived, allergic response. Check
> see if your problem might be combinations of fruit.
>
> I've also heard anecdotes that fruit lead to increased acidity of the
blood
> (of course, still within accepted medical constrains - but just on the low
> border of the healthy, neutral range). Does anyone know anything about
this
> and how it might involve the immune system?

Yes, it appears as some sort of allergic or sensitivity reaction. Only mine
rarely passes in one day, but it often develops into a large pimple.
Constipation often parallels this. And I don't have to eat a lot of the
offending food.

Roman

Sandy

Feb 2, 2003, 11:09:08 PM2/2/03

Doesn't fruit in excess generally loosen the stool?

Sandy

Sandy

Feb 2, 2003, 11:23:20 PM2/2/03
On Sun, 2 Feb 2003 11:08:02 +0200, "pearlf"
<ice_*remove_this*cor...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>I eat a lot of fruit and find that whenever I combine fruits, I get a few
>red bumps on my face, arms and maybe legs. They disappear without a trace
>within a day or so. This also happens after exercise outdoors (jogging). I
>assume it's a general, albeit very short-lived, allergic response. Check to
>see if your problem might be combinations of fruit.
>
>I've also heard anecdotes that fruit lead to increased acidity of the blood
>(of course, still within accepted medical constrains - but just on the low
>border of the healthy, neutral range). Does anyone know anything about this
>and how it might involve the immune system?

Sounds like fringe stuff to me.

Sandy

Roman

Feb 2, 2003, 11:39:41 PM2/2/03
"Sandy" <S@S.S> wrote in message

> Doesn't fruit in excess generally loosen the stool?

I don't know what it generally does, but I know that it has a reverse effect
in me.

Roman

Sandy

Feb 3, 2003, 3:45:36 AM2/3/03

Strange.
In both a faecal bulk and osmotic effect, fruit should be loosening.

Sandy

pbeyer

Feb 3, 2003, 2:02:30 PM2/3/03

Sandy wrote:

Fruits contain not only fructose which (when the predominant sugar) may be poorly
absorbed. Fructose requires glucose as a co-transporter to be efficiently
transported across the gut wall. Foods with sorbitol (prunes, apple juice, pears
for example) add to the potential for malabsorption (and thus laxative nature)
because not only is sorbitol slowly absorbed itself, it slows the absorption of
fructose as well. Apple juice (high in fructose and sort of high in sorbitol)
has been shown (Hyams, et al) to cause abdominal cramping, diarrhea when consumed
in large amounts.

(FWIW) Pete

pearlf

Feb 3, 2003, 4:54:19 PM2/3/03
"Sandy" <S@S.S> wrote in message

Living on the edge? ; ) At least Dr Robert Young got some people eating
their green veggies again.

So what's your thoughts on yoga, Sandy, hmmmm?

Pearlf

Spiro J

Feb 3, 2003, 9:35:58 PM2/3/03
I guess there is nothing wrong with hearing such ridiculous anecdotes so
long as you don't listen to them.

BTW, blood is controlled by homeostasis...what you eat isn't going to have
any sustantial effect on your blood pH (this includes the flavor of the week
CORAL CALCIUM).

If you know of anyone where this is the case please tell me becuase I'd be
elated to meet someone who periodically slips in and out of comas...

"pearlf" <ice_*remove_this*cor...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message

Sandy

Feb 4, 2003, 2:15:28 AM2/4/03
On Mon, 03 Feb 2003 13:02:30 -0600, pbeyer <pbe...@kumc.edu> wrote:

>Sandy wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 2 Feb 2003 22:39:41 -0600, "Roman" <r_...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>> >"Sandy" <S@S.S> wrote in message

>> >I don't know what it generally does, but I know that it has a reverse effect
>> >in me.
>>
>> Strange.
>> In both a faecal bulk and osmotic effect, fruit should be loosening.

>Fruits contain not only fructose which (when the predominant sugar) may be poorly

>absorbed. Fructose requires glucose as a co-transporter to be efficiently
>transported across the gut wall.

I didn't know this. My books only mention passive transport (osmotic
gradient?) for fructose and active transport (requires energy) for the
other monosaccharides.

>Foods with sorbitol (prunes, apple juice, pears
>for example) add to the potential for malabsorption (and thus laxative nature)
>because not only is sorbitol slowly absorbed itself, it slows the absorption of
>fructose as well.

I suppose anything that reduces the osmotic gradient would do this?

>Apple juice (high in fructose and sort of high in sorbitol)
>has been shown (Hyams, et al) to cause abdominal cramping, diarrhea when consumed
>in large amounts.

Hence the fruit stealing and gorging syndrome in kids :) DAMHIKT

Sandy

Sandy

Feb 4, 2003, 2:50:17 AM2/4/03
On Mon, 3 Feb 2003 23:54:19 +0200, "pearlf"
<ice_*remove_this*cor...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>> Sounds like fringe stuff to me.

>> Sandy
>
>Living on the edge? ; ) At least Dr Robert Young got some people eating
>their green veggies again.

So no need to worry on that score?

>So what's your thoughts on yoga, Sandy, hmmmm?

Not very nutritious

Sandy

Brandon Berg

Feb 4, 2003, 3:20:10 AM2/4/03
"Sandy" <S@S.S> wrote in message

Neither, for that matter, are yogis. All that rice makes for low-quality
meat.

Sandy

Feb 4, 2003, 3:28:35 AM2/4/03
On Tue, 04 Feb 2003 08:20:10 GMT, "Brandon Berg" <bb...@cesmail.net>
wrote:

Same for cows and rabbits -- all that grass :)

Sandy

Yar

Feb 4, 2003, 7:17:53 AM2/4/03

"Spiro J" <no...@nope.org> wrote in message

I have read that fruitarians [100%] have problems with loose teeth.

Yar

pbeyer

Feb 4, 2003, 9:57:28 AM2/4/03

Sandy wrote:

> On Mon, 03 Feb 2003 13:02:30 -0600, pbeyer <pbe...@kumc.edu> wrote:
>
> >Sandy wrote:

> >> Strange.
> >> In both a faecal bulk and osmotic effect, fruit should be loosening.
>
> >Fruits contain not only fructose which (when the predominant sugar) may be poorly
> >absorbed. Fructose requires glucose as a co-transporter to be efficiently
> >transported across the gut wall.
>
> I didn't know this. My books only mention passive transport (osmotic
> gradient?) for fructose and active transport (requires energy) for the
> other monosaccharides.
>
> >Foods with sorbitol (prunes, apple juice, pears
> >for example) add to the potential for malabsorption (and thus laxative nature)
> >because not only is sorbitol slowly absorbed itself, it slows the absorption of
> >fructose as well.
>
> I suppose anything that reduces the osmotic gradient would do this?

> The alcohol sugars (sorbitol, manitol, etc) could add to the osmolarity but even
> when they replace a fractio of fructose or glucose in a mixture it worsens fructose
> absorption. pb

> >Apple juice (high in fructose and sort of high in sorbitol)
> >has been shown (Hyams, et al) to cause abdominal cramping, diarrhea when consumed
> >in large amounts.
>
> Hence the fruit stealing and gorging syndrome in kids :) DAMHIKT
>
> Sandy

For me (as a kid) it was a neighbor's apple tree-- didn't really care that much for
his apples but didn't like him. Because serving sizes of juices (now bottles of 10-16
oz) the liklihood of people/kids getting a belly ache from fruit juice is greater.
Pete

Roman

Feb 4, 2003, 1:01:16 PM2/4/03
"Brandon Berg" <bb...@cesmail.net> wrote in message

> > >So what's your thoughts on yoga, Sandy, hmmmm?
> >
> > Not very nutritious
>
> Neither, for that matter, are yogis. All that rice makes for low-quality
> meat.

That would be compensated by spiritual boost that might provide

Roman

Katra

Feb 4, 2003, 2:07:35 PM2/4/03

Probably essential amino acid deficiencies,
and maybe some EFA deficiency as well.
I'd bet on it.

K.

Gym Bob

Feb 4, 2003, 5:37:24 PM2/4/03
And the lack of usage to strengthen the teeth sockets bone tissues.

"Katra" <Ka...@centurytel.net> wrote in message

Sandy

Feb 5, 2003, 1:28:03 AM2/5/03
On Tue, 4 Feb 2003 17:37:24 -0500, "Gym Bob" <None...@notspam.com>
wrote:

>And the lack of usage to strengthen the teeth sockets bone tissues.

They juice their fruit?

Much better to chew something then. Use it or lose it.

Sandy