Resveratrol causes tendonitis by chelating copper

Taka

Jun 4, 2008, 1:02:12 AM6/4/08
if you overdose. It is also a COX-1/2 inhibitor what is not always
desirable, especially if you are not overloaded with AA. It also
chelates iron what may be good but the copper is needed for collagen
synthesis and we don't get this mineral in excess like the iron. How
is the IP6 standing here, does it chelate iron better than copper,
Tom?

Taka

Resveratrol: Thousands of Bottles of Wine, High-Dose Pills Not
Required; Mega-doses May Induce Side Effects

Dynamic Dosing Of Resveratrol Recommended For Optimal Health

SAN DIMAS, Calif., (June 4, 2008) - While an earlier published rodent
study showed that ultra-high doses of resveratrol (1565 milligram
human dose), equivalent to 1500 bottles of wine or many dietary
supplement capsules, successfully overcame the adverse effects of a
high-fat diet, the lowest dose that genetically mimics a calorie
restricted diet went undetermined, till now.

Now an authoritative gene array study, conducted by researchers at the
William S. Middleton Memorial Veterans Hospital and Lifegen
Technologies in Madison, Wisconsin, shows that a dose of resveratrol
(rez-vair-aw-trawl) ~343 milligrams per day (4.9 mg per kilogram of
body weight) produces a gene activation profile similar to a calorie
restricted diet. Supra-high doses (greater than 500 milligrams) are
not required and may produce side effects. [PLOS1, June 2008 available
online ]

Both calorie restriction and resveratrol have been shown to prolong
the life of all life forms, ranging from single-cell organisms (yeast
cells) to more complex forms of life (fruit flies, roundworms) and
warm-blooded mammals (laboratory rats).

Consumers never heard that a far lower human equivalent dose than 1565
milligrams (~360 milligrams) was employed with undisclosed success in
a landmark rodent study published in 2006. The lower-dose data were
never published. [Resveratrol improves health and survival of mice on
a high-calorie diet. Nature 2006 Nov 16; 444: 337-42]

Drawbacks of supra-high doses

"Once mega-doses of resveratrol (more than 500 mg) began to be
employed, side effects like anemia, Achilles heel tendonitis, anxiety
reactions, numbness in the fingers, began to be reported," says Bill
Sardi, spokesperson for Longevinex (long-jev-in-ex), a leading brand
resveratrol dietary supplement. "This is probably because resveratrol
is a copper chelator and excessive chelation will impair the
availability of copper which is needed for collagen formation and
nerve regeneration," he says. "Resveratrol is relatively safe, but not
absolutely safe at any dosage. There are drawbacks," he adds.

Some online suppliers of resveratrol pills, who have no medical
training, irresponsibly recommend up to 7000 milligrams of resveratrol
a day. There is also evidence that supra-high dose resveratrol
inhibits the absorption of folic acid (vitamin B9), an essential
nutrient needed for DNA repair. [European Journal Nutrition 46:
329-36, 2007] High doses have not been tested in humans for long-term
use.

Advertising claims by resveratrol supplement makers that their pills
exert greater stimulation of the Sirtuin 1 DNA-repair gene should also
be regarded with caution since an animal study shows over-stimulation
(greater than 7.5 fold) of this gene induces heart failure in animals.
[Circulation Research 2007; 100: 1512-21]

Not just resveratrol

The health and longevity benefits of red wine are not easily explained
by the low dose of resveratrol provided in a glass of wine, but are
more easily explained by the total milligrams of polyphenolic
molecules (resveratrol, quercetin, catechin, kaempferol, ferulic
acid), about 60 milligrams per glass of aged red wine, says Sardi. The
healthy range for red wine drinking is 3 to 5 glasses, or about 180 to
300 milligrams of polyphenols. Dietary supplements should provide
about the same dosage range. Mega-doses are not required and may be
problematic.

Red wine is a fermented concentrate of grape skin which provides an
array of beneficial molecules which magnify its effect, says Sardi. A
resveratrol-based nutraceutical matrix that closely mimics the effect
of red wine without the alcohol, calories and preservatives is what
Longevinex is.

Factors that determine safe dosage

Age, gender, diet and iron stores determine the resveratrol dosage
required for optimal health. Red wine resveratrol pills are not
appropriate for growing children or menstruating females, who have
higher demand for minerals. However, Sardi explains that some
consumers may benefit from a higher loading dose and a lower long-term
maintenance dose.

Consumers need to recognize the health benefits of resveratrol and
related molecules emanate from their mineral chelating (removal)
properties, which then influence the genome, says Sardi. [BMC Genomics
8: 379, 2007; Biochmica Biophysica Acta 1619: 113-24, 2003] Middle-
aged males and postmenopausal females have accumulated stores of
excess iron and calcium which can be removed by natural mineral
chelators, like those provided in Longevinex.

"A middle-aged male will typically have a higher load of stored iron
and calcium and may benefit from a higher loading dose of mineral
chelators, to speed along their removal, followed by a lower dose for
long-term maintenance," says Sardi. He also suggests a relatively low
iron and calcium diet to accompany a dietary supplement regimen
intended to produce longevity. Humans live longer in countries where
calcium and iron intake are low, such as Japan, he says.

When does aging begin?

Sardi explains a theory of why molecules like resveratrol slow the
aging process. He says human aging begins only after full childhood
growth is achieved. Until then, there are no observable aging changes
in living cells. But once childhood growth ceases, iron, copper and
calcium, which were directed towards building new bone and red blood
cells, now begin to slowly accumulate, progressively "rusting and
calcifying" cells and tissues.

Sardi says males universally age faster and have shorter life spans
because they do not have inborn mechanisms to control the accumulation
of iron and calcium as do menstruating females. By age 40 a male will
have twice the iron and calcium load as an equally-aged female and
experience double the rate of diabetes, cancer and heart disease.

Longevinex uniquely provides a unique matrix of nutraceuticals which
both directly and indirectly control iron and calcium utilization in
the human body.

SOURCE: from the www.longevinex.com newsletter

ironjustice

Jun 4, 2008, 1:33:26 AM6/4/08
On Jun 3, 10:02 pm, Taka <taka0...@gmail.com> wrote:How

is the IP6 standing here <<

What about IP6 .. ?

You don't think snorting IP6 would be the way to go .. ?

What .. ?

What about it .. ?

The least of your worries if you have cancer is if you 'may' lose some
copper .. WHEN .. the studies already show cancer regression in all
animal models .. and I think we have shown regression in human cell
lines .. and it normalizes blood sugar therefore alleviating diabetic
retinopathy and peripheral neuropathy therefore alleviated potentially
millions of lost limbs and it also looks pretty good in my ..
vegetable pie.

Who loves ya.
Tom

Jesus Was A Vegetarian!
http://tinyurl.com/2r2nkh

Man Is A Herbivore!
http://tinyurl.com/a3cc3

DEAD PEOPLE WALKING
http://tinyurl.com/zk9fk

trigonometry1972@gmail.com |

Jun 4, 2008, 3:14:00 AM6/4/08
On Jun 3, 10:33 pm, ironjustice <ironjust...@cashette.com> wrote:
> On Jun 3, 10:02 pm, Taka <taka0...@gmail.com> wrote:How
> is the IP6 standing here <<
>
> What about IP6 .. ?
>
> You don't think snorting IP6 would be the way to go .. ?
>
> What .. ?
>
> What about it .. ?
>
> The least of your worries if you have cancer is if you 'may' lose some
> copper .. WHEN .. the studies already show cancer regression in all
> animal models .. and I think we have shown regression in human cell
> lines .. and it normalizes blood sugar therefore alleviating diabetic
> retinopathy and peripheral neuropathy therefore alleviated potentially
> millions of lost limbs and it also looks pretty good in my ..
> vegetable pie.
>
> Who loves ya.
> Tom
>
> Jesus Was A Vegetarian!http://tinyurl.com/2r2nkh
>
> Man Is A Herbivore!http://tinyurl.com/a3cc3

Copper is like iron in that one can too much and too liitle.
Moreover, some are hyperaccumulators of iron and others of copper.
And I suppose a few have both conditions.

Phyate (IP6) which you so love can also reduce zinc levels in some
wheat heavy
diets.

The drug minocycline which chelates copper has been shown increase
the risk of tendon rupture.

Trig

That which follows is solely for old rusty "Ironinjustice":

"And the pimp said to his girls. "who loves ya. Gimme my money.""

Taka

Jun 4, 2008, 4:37:40 AM6/4/08
On Jun 4, 4:14 pm, "trigonometry1...@gmail.com |"

<trigonometry1...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The drug minocycline which chelates copper has been shown increase
> the risk of tendon rupture.

Isn't minocycline the "wonder" antibiotic to eliminate mycoplasmas and
related intracellular parasites (chlamydia)?

Taka

rj...@my-deja.com

Jun 4, 2008, 7:57:22 AM6/4/08

This is a press release from Bill Sardi, and not dispassionate
science; it is rhetoric in the best Madison Avenue tradition to
promote his own product which is coincidently a low-dose resveratrol.
And relatively expensive as such products go. The "side effects" he
reports were posted by individuals on the imminst forums
(imminst.org); the posters later reported that resveratrol was not the
cause of their symptoms. Resveratrol is a mild copper chelator. So
is aspirin. Not necessarily a bad thing.

Taka

Jun 4, 2008, 10:07:38 AM6/4/08
On Jun 4, 8:57 pm, r...@my-deja.com wrote:
> This is a press release from Bill Sardi, and not dispassionate
> science; it is rhetoric in the best Madison Avenue tradition to
> promote his own product which is coincidently a low-dose resveratrol.
> And relatively expensive as such products go. The "side effects" he
> reports were posted by individuals on the imminst forums
> (imminst.org); the posters later reported that resveratrol was not the
> cause of their symptoms. Resveratrol is a mild copper chelator. So
> is aspirin. Not necessarily a bad thing.

Well, I have a personal experience with weakened knee ligaments and
broken cartilage what happened at the time I was taking resveratrol
supplement. However, I was supplementing also other things such as
Omega-3s and ALCAR at that time so resveratrol is just one of the
suspects. But given its inhibitory effects on the inflammatory
response it is reasonable to suspect it may interfere with proper
connective tissue healing/regeneration. Also it is not recommended
for growing children for a reason.

Taka

ironjustice

Jun 4, 2008, 10:49:16 AM6/4/08
On Jun 4, 12:14 am, "trigonometry1...@gmail.com |"
<trigonometry1...@gmail.com> wrote:"And the pimp said to his girls.

"who loves ya. Gimme my money." <<

You got something to say to me .. trig .. ?

Say it ..

Don't be hinting at sht ..

SAY IT .. !!

Who loves ya.
Tom

Jesus Was A Vegetarian!
http://tinyurl.com/2r2nkh

Man Is A Herbivore!
http://tinyurl.com/a3cc3

> "And the pimp said to his girls. "who loves ya. Gimme my money.""- Hide quoted text -

rs1...@yahoo.com

Jun 4, 2008, 3:43:28 PM6/4/08
For those that have been taking copper chelating substances over the
long term, copper deficiency can be investigated by a one-time check
of serum ceruloplasmin levels. In the event ceruloplasmin levels are
low or borderline low, this should be followed up with a 24-hour
urinary copper test. If this is also low, then it would confirm a
sustained deficiency in copper.

I think the real concern would be the fact that multiple substances
that chelate copper (and other metals) are commonly supplemented with
by life extensionists -- carnosine and zinc, most notably. Zinc is
used clinically for reducing copper levels in patients with certain
disorders like Wilson's disease.

Tendonitis aside, I think the more salient concern would be possible
insidious progression of slight neurodegeneration in the cerebrum and
other parts of the brain from a mild copper and ceruloplasmin
deficiency. This could actually begin to occur before other systemic
symptoms manifest, and would happen slowly and gradually enough that
it may remain unnoticed until some irreversible damage has occurred.

Ital J Biochem. 2006 Sep-Dec;55(3-4):212-21.Links
Copper imbalance and oxidative stress in neurodegeneration.Rossi L,
Arciello M, Capo C, Rotilio G.
Department of Biology, "Tor Vergata" University of Rome, Italy.
luisa...@uniroma2.it

Much experimental evidence demonstrates that the increased production
of free radicals and oxidative damage due to alterations in copper
homeostasis (because of either deficit or excess or aberrant
coordination of the metal) are involved in the neurodegenerative
processes occurring in many disorders of the central nervous system.
This review outlines the systems that are involved in copper
homeostasis and in the control of copper redox reactivity. The
mechanisms underlying neurodegeneration in the acknowledged genetic
disturbances of copper homeostasis, namely Menkes' and Wilson's
diseases, and the involvement of copper in the aetiology of the major
neurodegenerative disease of the aging brain, Alzheimer's disease,
will be described, with particular focus on oxidative stress.

PMID: 17274527 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Taka

Jun 4, 2008, 8:58:10 PM6/4/08
I think Spirulina is quite high in copper (the blue pigment contains
it, not iron like chlorophyl in e.g. Chlorella). Could make a good
supplement for those chelating the metals ...

Taka

trigonometry1972@gmail.com |

Jun 5, 2008, 5:40:14 AM6/5/08
On Jun 4, 7:49 am, ironjustice <teamtan...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> On Jun 4, 12:14 am, "trigonometry1...@gmail.com |"<trigonometry1...@gmail.com> wrote:"And the pimp said to his girls.
>
> "who loves ya. Gimme my money." <<
>
> You got something to say to me .. trig .. ?
>
> Say it ..
>
> Don't be hinting at sht ..
>
> SAY IT .. !!
>
> Who loves ya.
> Tom
>
> Jesus Was A Vegetarian!http://tinyurl.com/2r2nkh
>
> Man Is A Herbivore!http://tinyurl.com/a3cc3
>
>  DEAD PEOPLE WALKING
>  http://tinyurl.com/zk9fk

Do I have something to say to you?
Ghee wiz, Tommy didn't I just say it.

Who loves ya Tommy. Get back on the street
and bring us more.........Trig

Jesus loved little lambs roasted with bitter herbs.

Man eats what comes his way and doesn't eat him first.

The DEAD don't Walk only the soon to be dead walk.

RF

Jun 6, 2008, 5:14:53 PM6/6/08

What resveratrol dose were you taking?

Kofi

Jun 6, 2008, 5:20:15 PM6/6/08

> Well, I have a personal experience with weakened knee ligaments and
> broken cartilage what happened at the time I was taking resveratrol
> supplement. However, I was supplementing also other things such as
> Omega-3s and ALCAR at that time so resveratrol is just one of the
> suspects. But given its inhibitory effects on the inflammatory
> response it is reasonable to suspect it may interfere with proper
> connective tissue healing/regeneration. Also it is not recommended
> for growing children for a reason.

Calorie restriction is known to extend life at the expense of cartilage
and resveratrol supposedly mimics CR.

Molybdenum also antagonizes copper.

I can't think of a reason why omega-3's or ALCAR would cause problems
with ligaments or cartilage.

Cipro-class antibiotics (fluoroquinolones like levofloxacin/levaquin,
ciprofloxacin, gatifloxacin, gemifloxacin, moxifloxacin) which promote
MMP-3 are known to cause tendon problems. Tetracyclines are known to
inhibit MMPs and thus collagen degradation. I was not aware of any link
between minocycline and tendon damage. Can you provide a cite on its
copper chelation as the source?

Did you try blood spinning/platelet-rich prolotherapy for the knees?

Taka

Jun 7, 2008, 4:34:03 AM6/7/08

About 20 mg of red grape (Vitis vinifera) polyphenol flavonoids
daily. Not so much but it had high bioavailability due to the
patented combination with yeast which I am posting on another thread
entitled "Resveratrol bioavailability and biological effects enhanced
by yeast".

Taka

Taka

Jun 7, 2008, 4:59:27 AM6/7/08
On Jun 7, 6:20 am, Kofi <k...@anon.un> wrote:
> > Well, I have a personal experience with weakened knee ligaments and
> > broken cartilage what happened at the time I was taking resveratrol
> > supplement. However, I was supplementing also other things such as
> > Omega-3s and ALCAR at that time so resveratrol is just one of the
> > suspects. But given its inhibitory effects on the inflammatory
> > response it is reasonable to suspect it may interfere with proper
> > connective tissue healing/regeneration. Also it is not recommended
> > for growing children for a reason.
>
> Calorie restriction is known to extend life at the expense of cartilage
> and resveratrol supposedly mimics CR.

What would be the merit of living to 120 crippled in a wheel chair
with worn out cartilage?

> Molybdenum also antagonizes copper.
>
> I can't think of a reason why omega-3's or ALCAR would cause problems
> with ligaments or cartilage.

Omega-3s act like NSAIDs, i.e. inhibiting the COX enzymes and thus the
signaling (inflammatory in nature) needed for proper connective tissue
regeneration after damage by e.g. exercise. NSAIDs will weaken
cartilage and ligaments, this is frequently discussed at the
Prolotherapy sites. I think not by a coincidence Omega-3 can also
damage the gut lining like other COX-1 inhibitors (IBS/leaky gut
followed the knee damage in my case and finally ended after I stopped
the fish and flax oils). BTW Japanese consume increased amounts of
oxidized fatty fish and also have higher stomach cancer rates (this
has been pointed out by Monty in the past).

> Cipro-class antibiotics (fluoroquinolones like levofloxacin/levaquin,
> ciprofloxacin, gatifloxacin, gemifloxacin, moxifloxacin) which promote
> MMP-3 are known to cause tendon problems. Tetracyclines are known to
> inhibit MMPs and thus collagen degradation. I was not aware of any link
> between minocycline and tendon damage. Can you provide a cite on its
> copper chelation as the source?
>
> Did you try blood spinning/platelet-rich prolotherapy for the knees?

I would like to but it's available only in the US. I did some
dextrose prolotherapy which helped when traveling abroad but these
techniques are not available at all in my conservative country.

Taka

Marshall Price

Jun 8, 2008, 9:48:56 AM6/8/08

"Tendonitis" makes sense, but actually, it's spelled "tendinitis." I
don't know why; it's just one of those things. :-)

--
Marshall Price of Miami
Known to Yahoo as d021317c

Kofi

Jun 10, 2008, 9:51:33 PM6/10/08
> > I can't think of a reason why omega-3's or ALCAR would cause problems
> > with ligaments or cartilage.
>
> Omega-3s act like NSAIDs, i.e. inhibiting the COX enzymes

No, they don't - and the difference is crucial. Depriving the body of
superfluous levels of arachidonic acid forces it to conserve AA and
ration it out to the most important pathways. Blocking COX-2 with an
NSAID blocks all PG series 2-dependent production.

> I think not by a coincidence Omega-3 can also
> damage the gut lining like other COX-1 inhibitors (IBS/leaky gut
> followed the knee damage in my case and finally ended after I stopped
> the fish and flax oils). BTW Japanese consume increased amounts of
> oxidized fatty fish and also have higher stomach cancer rates (this
> has been pointed out by Monty in the past).

The last I checked, the Japanese stomach cancer rate was related to the
consumption of pickled foods, not omega-3s. Oxidation of omega-3s
doesn't matter that much in terms of food safety and the chatter about
it comes pretty much from discredited trans-fat manufacturers, but it
persists even today. The consumption of omega-3s actually has direct
anticancer effects via the balance of O2-/OH- in cells and other
pathways (see PMIDs 16201843, 15867269, 15705895).

> > Did you try blood spinning/platelet-rich prolotherapy for the knees?
>
> I would like to but it's available only in the US.

No, it originated in Germany. It's common in Europe.

> I did some
> dextrose prolotherapy which helped when traveling abroad but these
> techniques are not available at all in my conservative country.

I've used dextrose myself. I've also tried growth hormone + prolo.
That worked well.

You might want to look at low-level laser therapy. It's
collagen-building. Also, zinc L-carnosine may help.

Taka

Jun 11, 2008, 5:06:23 AM6/11/08
On Jun 11, 10:51 am, Kofi <k...@anon.un> wrote:
> > > I can't think of a reason why omega-3's or ALCAR would cause problems
> > > with ligaments or cartilage.
>
> > Omega-3s act like NSAIDs, i.e. inhibiting the COX enzymes
>
> No, they don't - and the difference is crucial.

Well, the mechanism may not be identical (NSAIDs covalently modify COX
while Omega-3 jam it by competing with AA) but the end result is the
same. This is at least my current understanding. If you think that
the long chain Omega-3s like EPA/DHA don't inhibit the metabolization
of AA by the COX-1,2 enzymes could you back it up with some citations?

> Depriving the body of
> superfluous levels of arachidonic acid forces it to conserve AA and
> ration it out to the most important pathways. Blocking COX-2 with an
> NSAID blocks all PG series 2-dependent production.

Yes, it blocks the production of PGE3 from Omega-3 as well you are
saying? But what is PGE3 good for except crowding out / blocking the
action of PGE2 ?

> > I think not by a coincidence Omega-3 can also
> > damage the gut lining like other COX-1 inhibitors (IBS/leaky gut
> > followed the knee damage in my case and finally ended after I stopped
> > the fish and flax oils). BTW Japanese consume increased amounts of
> > oxidized fatty fish and also have higher stomach cancer rates (this
> > has been pointed out by Monty in the past).
>
> The last I checked, the Japanese stomach cancer rate was related to the
> consumption of pickled foods, not omega-3s. Oxidation of omega-3s
> doesn't matter that much in terms of food safety and the chatter about
> it comes pretty much from discredited trans-fat manufacturers, but it
> persists even today.

Are you suggesting that oxidized PUFAs or oxidized cholesterol in the
food pose no health risks?

> The consumption of omega-3s actually has direct
> anticancer effects via the balance of O2-/OH- in cells and other
> pathways (see PMIDs 16201843, 15867269, 15705895).

This is apoptosis via PUFA-derived free radicals and blocking the
growth promoting effects of AA metabolites IMO.

> > > Did you try blood spinning/platelet-rich prolotherapy for the knees?
>
> > I would like to but it's available only in the US.
>
> No, it originated in Germany. It's common in Europe.

Do you have any reference to a German practitioner doing it or any
place in Europe where it is available? Europe is easier to go for me
than the States.

> > I did some
> > dextrose prolotherapy which helped when traveling abroad but these
> > techniques are not available at all in my conservative country.
>
> I've used dextrose myself. I've also tried growth hormone + prolo.
> That worked well.

Yeah, it seems to be good alternative to surgery, regrowing cartilage
naturally - http://www.iagh.com/

> You might want to look at low-level laser therapy. It's
> collagen-building. Also, zinc L-carnosine may help.

I have tried the glucosamine+chondroitin+MSM combinations but did not
help much. Laser therapy, never heard of that ...

Taka

Kofi

Jun 11, 2008, 8:26:25 PM6/11/08

> > > Omega-3s act like NSAIDs, i.e. inhibiting the COX enzymes
> >
> > No, they don't - and the difference is crucial.
>
> Well, the mechanism may not be identical (NSAIDs covalently modify COX
> while Omega-3 jam it by competing with AA) but the end result is the
> same. This is at least my current understanding. If you think that
> the long chain Omega-3s like EPA/DHA don't inhibit the metabolization
> of AA by the COX-1,2 enzymes could you back it up with some citations?

Not at the moment. I'm suggesting the body might sequester AA someplace
specific and release it around the COX enzymes and that omega-3s might
only address a general systemic overload of AA. Also, some
prostaglandin receptors may take series 3 products as well as series 2.

> > > I think not by a coincidence Omega-3 can also
> > > damage the gut lining like other COX-1 inhibitors (IBS/leaky gut
> > > followed the knee damage in my case and finally ended after I stopped
> > > the fish and flax oils). BTW Japanese consume increased amounts of
> > > oxidized fatty fish and also have higher stomach cancer rates (this
> > > has been pointed out by Monty in the past).
> >
> > The last I checked, the Japanese stomach cancer rate was related to the
> > consumption of pickled foods, not omega-3s. Oxidation of omega-3s
> > doesn't matter that much in terms of food safety and the chatter about
> > it comes pretty much from discredited trans-fat manufacturers, but it
> > persists even today.
>
> Are you suggesting that oxidized PUFAs or oxidized cholesterol in the
> food pose no health risks?

I would worry a lot more about sugar than oxidized PUFAs. I don't
remember the exact pathways, but I do seem to recall certain oxidized
fats triggering some helpful pathways.

> > The consumption of omega-3s actually has direct
> > anticancer effects via the balance of O2-/OH- in cells and other
> > pathways (see PMIDs 16201843, 15867269, 15705895).
>
> This is apoptosis via PUFA-derived free radicals and blocking the
> growth promoting effects of AA metabolites IMO.

Yes. The citations say that. And this means omega-3s inhibit the
development of cancers and hence probably aren't the items responsible
for stomach cancer in the Japanese diet.

> > > I would like to but it's available only in the US.
> >
> > No, it originated in Germany. It's common in Europe.
>
> Do you have any reference to a German practitioner doing it or any
> place in Europe where it is available? Europe is easier to go for me
> than the States.

Sorry. I don't.

Taka

Jun 11, 2008, 9:57:07 PM6/11/08
On Jun 12, 9:26 am, Kofi <k...@anon.un.org> wrote:

> > > No, they don't - and the difference is crucial.
>
> > Well, the mechanism may not be identical (NSAIDs covalently modify COX
> > while Omega-3 jam it by competing with AA) but the end result is the
> > same. This is at least my current understanding. If you think that
> > the long chain Omega-3s like EPA/DHA don't inhibit the metabolization
> > of AA by the COX-1,2 enzymes could you back it up with some citations?
>
> Not at the moment. I'm suggesting the body might sequester AA someplace
> specific and release it around the COX enzymes and that omega-3s might
> only address a general systemic overload of AA.

Like the brain is said to sequester the LC-Omega-3 PUFAs such as DHA.
So at low AA levels the COX enzymes would preferentially take AA even
if there is excess of EPA wondering around, hmm I think this is a bit
idealistic.

> Also, some
> prostaglandin receptors may take series 3 products as well as series 2.

That is another place the Omega-3 products can outcompete the Omega-6/
AA products and probably also any Mead acid products.

> > > The last I checked, the Japanese stomach cancer rate was related to the
> > > consumption of pickled foods, not omega-3s. Oxidation of omega-3s
> > > doesn't matter that much in terms of food safety and the chatter about
> > > it comes pretty much from discredited trans-fat manufacturers, but it
> > > persists even today.
>
> > Are you suggesting that oxidized PUFAs or oxidized cholesterol in the
> > food pose no health risks?
>
> I would worry a lot more about sugar than oxidized PUFAs. I don't
> remember the exact pathways, but I do seem to recall certain oxidized
> fats triggering some helpful pathways.

Yes, like the oxidized products of linoleic acid stimulate
testosterone production I recall. But if you look at it from the
chemical point of view, the oxidized PUFAs remain highly reactive and
can oxidize/attach to other molecules such as DNA and important
enzymes as well as structural proteins (collagen, ECM). Moreover
their processing and detoxification put extra strain on the liver and
other organs (gal bladder) being already overloaded by coping with the
pollutions and xenobiotics in the modern world.

Perhaps the only positive thing in the case of oxidized cholesterol is
that it can disrupt the cholesterol crystallization in the arterial
wall and thus reduce the plaque formation. Other diseases in which
crystallization plays a major role are gout (uric acid) and BSA
(prions). Impurities are efficient crystal growth blockers.

Taka

Kofi

Jun 13, 2008, 12:45:09 PM6/13/08

> > > I would like to but it's available only in the US.
> >
> > No, it originated in Germany. It's common in Europe.
>
> Do you have any reference to a German practitioner doing it or any
> place in Europe where it is available? Europe is easier to go for me
> than the States.

You're in luck. I just saw my doctor and he's traveled extensively to
learn from other physicians about PRP.

In Germany (Stutgart, I think), try Bertholt Aman, Marcus Jager or Jeans
Stotte.

Japan has been doing a lot of research with growth hormone and PRP. He
mentioned a University in Kyoto. That's all I got.