"Your disease is insufficient penises"- Wendell Potter, CIGNA, and Blaming the Victim

Mort Zuckerman

Sep 27, 2009, 12:36:12 PM9/27/09
Cc: fra...@ucia.gov, dr-ahma...@president.ir,
criminal...@usdoj.gov, karla.d...@usdoj.gov,
christophe...@usdoj.gov, richar...@yale.edu,
harol...@yale.edu, james.p...@yale.edu, inq...@aldf.com,
ly...@idsociety.org, meganm...@theatlantic.com,
bob.d...@latimes.com

Subject: "Your disease is insufficient penises"- Wendell Potter,
CIGNA, and Blaming the Victim

Date: Sep 27, 2009 12:33 PM

ARTICLE BELOW, CT CIGNA EXEC "HIT BY LIGHTNING"
=================

Indeed.

Ticks could bite you, and then the insurance companies
could hire the penis-idolators to claim that your diseases
set
http://www.actionlyme.org/PHILLIPS_J_PERVERT,htm
is not chronic mono and chronic cytomegalovirus and
chronic Lyme, but "NOT-ENOUGH-PENIS-DISEASE."

[I my estimation, it would be good if these "therapists"
would just stay the hell out of it, and the best example
of their impedimence (a neologism, which is, itself, a
neologism) is www.ILADS.org]

I do not have NOT-ENOUGH-PENIS disease.

In fact, my children have too-much-penis disease,
obviously:
http://www.actionlyme.org/Schoen.htm
Lara Dickson with 7 CDC bands ^^^ and me with
antibodies against Heat Shock Proteins *and*
flagellin, which is the picture of Lyme-Multiple Sclerosis.

Diane Dickson with Congenital Ehrlichiosis and Congenital Lyme:
http://www.actionlyme.org/DIANE_EHRLICHIOSIS.htm

Go ahead and read what Schoen said about it:
http://www.actionlyme.org/Schoen.htm

The world's biggest screwballs are the ones who look
for something other than disease causing a person's
disease, but here in 21st Century America, it is the
sick people who are explaining and demonstrating, and
showing the "CONFLUENCE" of data, "BACK TO THE
FUTURE!!"

I tell ya what: Penis-lovers who claim "Not enough penis
is making [us] sick," make me sick.

Kathleen M. Dickson
Pfizer, CIGNA Blamd-The-Victim
By-Using-Pervert-"Experts" victim,
multiple infections victim
http://www.actionlyme.org

http://www.opednews.com/articles/Does-Wendell-Potter-Both-M-by-Tammie-Fowles-090925-472.html
Does Wendell Potter Both Mirror the Worst, and Model the Best in
Ourselves?
submit to twitter
submit to reddit
Buzz up!on Yahoo! submit to digg

Tell A Friend
SAVE AS FAVORITE
VIEW FAVORITES

By Tammie Fowles (about the author) Page 1 of 1 page(s)

opednews.com Permalink

For OpEdNews: Tammie Fowles - Writer

“That which we witness, we are forever changed by, and once witnessed
we can never go back.” Angeles Arrien

Wendell Potter is a former CIGNA executive turned whistle-blower, and
current fellow at the Center for Media and Democracy. He had a
successful career with Cigna as director of corporate communications,
liked his co-workers very much, and was well compensated financially
in addition to enjoying numerous perks. So why did he leave and then
become adversary to an industry that had treated him so well?

In July of 2007, shortly after Michael Moore's movie “Sicko” was
released (a movie by the way that he worked very hard to discredit,
only to later admit that it had been “an honest film”) Potter paid a
visit to his parents in Tennessee. While there, he read about a health
clinic that was being held in nearby Wise county Virginia by the
Remote Area Medical Clinic Volunteer Core and decided to check it out.
What he witnessed there shook him to the core and brought him to
tears. The clinic was being held at the local fairgrounds where
thousands of people (some of whom had driven from Georgia, Kentucky,
and South Carolina) were waiting in seemingly endless lines for
healthcare delivered in animal stalls. When recalling that July day,
Potter told Bill Moyers on Bill Moyers Journal, “It was absolutely
stunning. It was like being hit by lightning. It was almost– what
country am I in? " it just didn't seem to be a possibility that I was
in the United States. It was like a lightning bolt had hit me.”

Craig Keilburger and Marc Kelburger, founders of “Free the Children
and authors of the best selling book, “ME to We: Finding Meaning in a
Material World” explore how perfectly good people like you and I come
to defend ourselves against the large scale suffering of others by
blocking it out and going about business as usual. One way we do this
is to distance ourselves from those who are hurting by “convincing
ourselves that ‘they' are not like ‘us.'"We may blame them for their
circumstances, emphasizing or imagining all the weaknesses and
failures of that group that have led to these circumstances. We may
try to ignore the external factors, the political, ideological,
economic, military and other forces that shaped their fates from the
outside" Seeing people in ‘us' and ‘them' terms makes it easier to
dehumanize and devalue them, to assume that there are fundamental
differences between us and them, and to blame them for their
suffering. Thinking in ‘us' and ‘them' terms also makes it easier to
reduce people to numbers, to conveniently forget about their
individuality.”

Suddenly confronted with the desperation and suffering surrounding him
at the fairgrounds that day, his defenses began to crumble. He'd been
insulated in his high- rise Philadelphia office, flying corporate
jets, surrounded by the vestiges of wealth, and served lunches on gold
trimmed plates. He hadn't truly known “what was really going on,” he
explained to Moyers. He was aware that 47 million people were
uninsured, and that among the insured, there were many who could not
afford to pay their deductibles, but he had never attached real live
faces to those numbers. In a town not far from the one he grew up in,
Wendell Potter had an epiphany. “There could have been people and
probably were people that I had grown up with. They could have been
people who grew up in the house down the road from me. And that made
it real to me.”

In December, five months after his fateful visit to the fairgrounds,
17 year old Nataline Sarkisyan died the very night that Cigna reversed
its decision (under tremendous pressure) to deny coverage for a liver
transplant. Here was yet another real person in lieu of a statistic, a
young woman with hopes and dreams and whose parents loved her very
much, just as Wendell loved his own daughter. In addition to dealing
with his feelings regarding Nataline's death, he was inundated with
angry and accusatory calls and letters from people all over the
country. In January, Potter informed CIGNA that he would be resigning.

On June 24th, in Philadelphia, he testified before a U.S. Senate
Committee. His opening remarks included, “My name is Wendell Potter
and for 20 years, I worked as a senior executive at health insurance
companies, and I saw how they confuse their customers and dump the
sick — all so they can satisfy their Wall Street investors. I know
from personal experience that members of Congress and the public have
good reason to question the honesty and trustworthiness of the
insurance industry. Insurers make promises they have no intention of
keeping, they flout regulations designed to protect consumers, and
they make it nearly impossible to understand — or even to obtain —
information we need.”

Three months later he met with the House Democratic Steering and
Policy Committee and warned, “"if Congress goes along with the so-
called ‘solutions' the insurance industry says it is bringing to the
table and acquiesces to the demands it is making of lawmakers, and if
it fails to create a public insurance option to compete with private
insurers, the bill it sends to the president might as well be called
the Insurance Industry Profit Protection and Enhancement Act.” He
further explained that the Baucus plan would enable insurers to charge
the elderly and families up to 7.5 times as much as younger people,
weaken state regulation of insurers, fail to make affordable coverage
for those currently insured more available, or stop the increase in
medical bankruptcy. Instead, the Baucus bill would insure a huge new
stream of revenue for the insurance companies as individuals were
forced to purchase insurance policies and taxpayers were required to
finance the necessary subsidies for those who could not afford the
premiums.

Potter also stressed to Congress that the public option should “not
just be an ‘option' to be bargained away at the behest of insurance
companies who are pouring money into Congress to defeat substantial
and essential reforms. A public option must be created to provide true
choice to consumers or reform will fail to truly fix the root of the
severe problems that have been caused in large part by the greedy
demands of Wall Street. By creating a strong public option and
restricting the insurance industry's ability to enrich executives and
investors at the expense of taxpayers and consumers, H.R. 3200 will
truly benefit average Americans. The Baucus plan, on the other hand,
would create a government-subsidized monopoly for the purchase of bare
bones, high-deductible policies that would truly benefit Big
Insurance. In other words, insurers would win; your constituents would
lose

I am grateful to Wendell Potter. Yes, it's certainly true that he was
aware of the unethical and in some cases deadly practices of his
industry, and he actively participated in many of them, however, how
different was he really from the rest of us? How different is he from
those of us who turn away when the faces of starving children flash
across our television screen while a narrator urges us to commit to
just dollars a day (less than the cost of a large Starbucks coffee) to
help feed these children? How different is he from those of us who are
well aware of the wrongs committed by our own industries while we
continue to show up for work each day and collect our paychecks? How
different is he from those who die each and every year from “karosh,i”
the Japanese term for death due to job related stress and overwork;
those poor souls (my own husband came very close to being one of them)
who dragged themselves to work every day while knowing at some level
that their current jobs were truly ‘killing' them?
It's been said that evil prevails when good people do nothing to stop
it. I am one of those people who on far too many occasions have done
nothing. As Rabbi Abraham Heschel wisely pointed out, “In regards to
cruelties committed in the name of a free society, some are guilty,
while all are responsible.” Wendell Potter, from my perspective, is
most definitely a guilty man. He is also a product of his society, a
society that according to Paul Rogat Loeb, “has systematically taught
us to ignore the ills we see, and leave them to others to handle.”
Wendell Potter is working very diligently to right the wrongs that he
both witnessed and participated in committing. What about those of us
who stand by and do nothing while special interest groups twist the
facts and feed the fears of misinformed but perfectly good people?
What about those of us who refuse to take a stand while thousands of
mothers, fathers, sisters, brothers and children die each year in the
United States of America because they lack access to proper health
care? We might, just might, escape the guilt, but we cannot
escape the responsibility.
United States of America because they lack access to proper health
care?

http://sageplace.com
Tammie Fowles is a psychotherapist, celebrant, and author currently
practicing in Lewiston, Maine.. She has a Masters degree in Social
Work and a Ph.D. in Counseling Psychology and is a certified
celebrant. She is the author of "BirthQuake: The (more...)

The views expressed in this article are the sole responsibility of the
author
and do not necessarily reflect those of this website or its editors.

"[Real] scientists are *fiercely* independent. That's the good
news."-- NIH's Top Fool, Anthony Fauci

Dennis

Sep 29, 2009, 1:44:12 AM9/29/09
Mort Zuckerman wrote: