The Lancet, 1944 - "Lyme Causes Chronic Ill Health" and "is a Permanent Brain Infection"

Mort Zuckerman

Aug 24, 2011, 1:12:47 PM8/24/11
To: kathleen...@hhs.gov, francis...@nih.hhs.gov,
Cc: fra...@ucia.gov, dr-ahma...@president.ir,

Subject: The Lancet, 1944 - "Lyme Causes Chronic Ill Health" and "is a
Permanent Brain Infection"

Date: Aug 24, 2011 1:11 PM

http://www.actionlyme.org/1944_RF_WWII.htm

See for yourselves.

"Prognosis.-- "...chronic ill health"

And here:

http://www.actionlyme.org/RICOCHRON.htm

NEUROLOGICAL COMPLICATIONS OF relapsing fever

Ronald Bodley Scott, DM, OXFD, FRCP

LIEUT.-COLONEL RAMC; OFFICER I/C A MEDICAL DIVISION

THE campaigns in the Lybyan Desert yielded cases of relapsing
fever of a type not previously known in Egypt. They were due to a
infection with Treponema recurrentis, whose immunological
characteristics have not yet been determined, transmitted by the bite
of an unnamed argasid tick of the genus ornithodoros, bearing a close
resemblence to O. erraticus, the vector of the Tunisand strain of
treponema (Adler, 1942). This tick probably inhabited the burrows of
desert rodents and infection was commonly acquired in caves, slit
trenches and tombs.

Characteristic of this fever was the high proportion of cases in
which the central nervous system was invaded. Most descriptions of
the disease include the comment that nervous system sequelae occur and
that they are more common in the tick-botne than in the louse-borne
fever; but theirt frequency and variety are not generally recognized.
This paper is concerned with a small series of cases seen in 1941 and
1942; its observations consequently apply to the disease of the north-
west Africa coast. It is likely, however, that this reservation is
not absolute" the characteristics of Tr. recurrentus are so labile
that strains from the same locality, and even from different relapses
in the same case, may show immunological variations (Ashbel 1943).
This the clinician is probably justified in discounting the importance
of differences of strain and in regarding the tick-borne relapsing
fever as an entity, however heretical the immunologist may consider
this view.

NEUROTROPIC CHARACTER OF Tr. recurrentis

In the animal the neurotropism of this treponema is well-established.
Ashbel (1943), investigating 17 strains of Tr. persica, found that
organisms could be isolated from the brains of guinea pigs 117-398
days after apparent recovery from the infection. In some cases this
cerebral invasion proved fatal and post-mortem examination showed
small perivascular hemorrhages [SHOWN IN LIEGNER AUTOPSIES] and
infiltrations with lymphocytes, monocytes and macrophages. The
neurotropism of various strains has been shown to be equally great in
other animals (Heronimus 1928).

The predilection of the treponema for nervous tissue in the animals
raises the question of whether it is similarly neurotropic in man.

Data are not plentiful; but as long ago as 1874 Ponfick reported
petechial hemorrhages [LIEGNER] in the brains of cases dying in the
Berlin epidemic. Belezky and Umanskaja (1930) have recorded the
findings in 8 fatal cases: clinical observations are scanty in their
paper but only one had symptoms of disease of the nervous system. In
all instances microscopy showed a patchy perivascular infiltration of
the pia with monocytes, lymphocytes and plasma cells, and in places
the cerebral vessels were encircled by a similar cellular halo. In 3
cases treponemata were found in the brain substance, diffusely
distributed and in no constant relation to vessels.

More recently, Ungar has described the case of a woman dying in the
puerperium with relapsing fever and cerebral symptoms. The post-
mortem findings included a cholesteatoma of the lateral recess edema
of the cisternal pia-arachnoid and hemorrhages in the caudal part of
the pons and the floor of the 4th ventricle. Sections showed the
Virchow-Robin spaces distended with erythrocytes, lymphocytes and
monocytes; treponemata were recovered from the cerebrospinal fluid and
from the tumor...

Lipanj

Sep 2, 2011, 1:33:53 AM9/2/11
Yes and I will bet you that most cases of so called Desert Storm
SYNDROME is from spirochetal disease- borreliosis... really a shame
and they are discarded and treated like dirt.
Also most of this article is from 1944 and I have a book I got from
the Lyme Disease Fdtn of Conn. written in the 1940's entitled Human
Borreliosis by Oscar something like Felsenfield last name. It was
written before the disease was discovered in the US....Well I'll tell
you they knew then more or just about the same as they know
now...basically with some exceptions.
Or shall I say more or what some of them want to know or pretend to
not know now. In the book it goes into all kinds of strains and even
has the hemoglobin is usually low yes in some cases of anemia caused
by the disease plus a normochromic,normocytic anemia it mentioned
which is exactly what my poor husband had also.. that type of anemia
is usually from infection.
Only difference they didn't have then all the new antibiotics
etc..they also go into B12, plus tetracyclines...The tick basically
feeds on glucose and does NOT NEED OXYGEN to survive...In fact the
tick hates oxygen..I read that the tick takes a so called breath?
about every 6 minutes, that is why it survives so well in peripheral
hideouts where there is less oxygen.
Canada has approved hyperbaric for lyme treatment - not this
country. Not saying it is the big magic bullet cure all but it SURE
SURE helps.
Also it has a detailed drawing of spirochete and even says it has a
glow under microsope or whatever...I always said it is like an
electric ell, the spirochete, it wiggles and vibrates just like an
electric ell....penetrates macrophages, blood vessels, etc. E V I L
just like the crooks involved in the conspiracy and taking pay offs.
As Dr. Jemsek said wait till one of them or their family gets
infected.