2002: Antimicrobial-induced mania (antibiomania): a review of spontaneous reports.

CaliforniaLyme

May 11, 2005, 1:38:23 PM5/11/05
1: J Clin Psychopharmacol. 2002 Feb;22(1):71-81. Related Articles,
Links

Antimicrobial-induced mania (antibiomania): a review of spontaneous
reports.

Abouesh A, Stone C, Hobbs WR.

Southern Virginia Mental Health Institute, Danville, VA 24541, USA.

The authors reviewed reported cases of antibiotic-induced manic
episodes by means of a MEDLINE and PsychLit search for reports of
antibiotic-induced mania. Unpublished reports were requested from the
World Health Organization (WHO) and the Food and Drug Administration
(FDA). Twenty-one reports of antimicrobial-induced mania were found in
the literature. There were 6 cases implicating clarithromycin, 13
implicating isoniazid, and 1 case each implicating erythromycin and
amoxicillin. The WHO reported 82 cases. Of these, clarithromycin was
implicated in 23 (27.6%) cases, ciprofloxacin in 12 (14.4%) cases, and
ofloxacin in 10 (12%) cases. Cotrimoxazole, metronidazole, and
erythromycin were involved in 15 reported manic episodes. Cases
reported by the FDA showed clarithromycin and ciprofloxacin to be the
most frequently associated with the development of mania. Statistical
analysis of the data would not have demonstrated a significant
statistical correlative risk and was therefore not undertaken. Patients
have an increased risk of developing mania while being treated with
antimicrobials. Although this is not a statistically significant risk,
physicians must be aware of the effect and reversibility. Further
research clearly is required to determine the incidence of
antimicrobial-induced mania, the relative risk factors of developing an
antimicrobial-induced manic episode among various demographic
populations, and the incidence of patients who continue to have
persistent affective disorders once the initial episode, which occurs
while the patient is taking antibiotics, subsides. The authors elected
to name this syndrome "antibiomania."

Publication Types:
Review
Review, Tutorial

PMID: 11799346 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

kathleen

May 11, 2005, 9:15:29 PM5/11/05
LOL.

Oh, no. More sniglet/neologisms.

AntiSteeromania (us)

Antipsychopharmacoputative (or, anti- the Guineapigism approach, or,
Hit or Miss Receptorology)

SPECTophobia (APA scared of valid biomarkers)

LymeRIXometrics (lie about vaccine trial results)

CaliforniaLyme

May 12, 2005, 11:19:29 AM5/12/05
I *loved* this abstract*)!*)!!! Couldn't help but wonder if all those
antibiomaniac reactions weren't neuroLyme herxes- I know, I know,
everything is *not* Lyme, but... can't help but wonder*)!!

Brent

May 12, 2005, 8:22:09 PM5/12/05
On 12 May 2005 08:19:29 -0700, "CaliforniaLyme"
<Califor...@cs.com> snickered:

>I *loved* this abstract*)!*)!!! Couldn't help but wonder if all those
>antibiomaniac reactions weren't neuroLyme herxes- I know, I know,
>everything is *not* Lyme, but... can't help but wonder*)!!

I thought the same thing. It's not all Lyme we have plenty of
pathogens that are capable of producing disease. BUT Bb like HIV has
the ability to weaken our immune system. I don't think the everything
is *not* Lyme debate is even close to being over.

kathleen

May 12, 2005, 8:52:27 PM5/12/05
Consider the source.
It's from the antiantipsychopharmacoputatives
and the SPECTophobes. You know, the guys who
claim "there will be no more spirochete-like
discoveries" in Psychiatry.
The guys who can't make up there minds
about what a mind is, yet they assert they
are in charge.
The guys who insist the victim is the perp,
except when the perp really *is* the perp.
http://samvak.tripod.com/abuse2.html
The countertransferring projectionists.
The guys who make up words for folks who
make up words, except when those neologizers
are themselves.
They're a "funny" bunch. 'Hate medical
realities with such a passion, they've
truly defined paranoia.