Lawsuits

1 view

ar...@pla-net.net

Mar 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/14/97
to ar...@pla-net.net

If anyone has sued a dentist for malpractice, I would love to hear your
story! I'd also like advice for filing a lawsuit!! I would also like to
hear what the verdict of your cases were and if you thought it made you
feel better after. I'm thinking about a lawsuit. Thank You!

Mark Tarka

Mar 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/16/97

In article <8583953...@dejanews.com>, ar...@pla-net.net writes:
>If anyone has sued a dentist for malpractice, I would love to hear your
>story! I'd also like advice for filing a lawsuit!! I would also like to
>hear what the verdict of your cases were and if you thought it made you
>feel better after. I'm thinking about a lawsuit. Thank You!

Well...while I can't use the past tense...I am presently
suing a couple of practitioners; we're in the discovery
phase of the process at this time.

For your information, I state, that I am acting as my own
attorney for this issue.

If you want to discuss your particular problem, let's do it
here, in public, on sci.med.dentistry; you're going to have
to provide more information.

Mark gmt...@msu.oscs.montana.edu msu-bozeman USA

Joel M. Eichen

Mar 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/16/97

Hello Mark,

I would like to offer you objective information about your particular
case. It may be very informative for others who are following this
thread. What are the facts of the case?

Cheers,

Joel M. Eichen, D.D.S.

ar...@pla-net.net

Mar 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/18/97
to ar...@pla-net.net

Well-Here is your requset! (I'm new at this so bear with me!) It all
started 1 year ago! I went to a new dentist! He never told me what was
going on in my mouth-just "well we need to pull this one and this one....
I only have 15 teeth left in my mouth! The ones I do have ALL need
reworked on because all he did was put temp. caps on them and let them
decay underneath! It's your call! Is it neglect or malpractice? I have
spent $2,000 and need to spend another $8,000 to have my teeth somewhat
back to normal! I'll never have back teeth again no matter what! I have
not talked to a lawyer yet, first I need input before I put more money
into this horrible situation! It has taken a definite toll on my life I
think I deserve some compensation! I am only 24 and I'm on the verge of
dentures! Help-Any suggestions!

c.a. utovac

Mar 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/19/97

> Well-Here is your requset! (I'm new at this so bear with me!) It all
> started 1 year ago! I went to a new dentist! He never told me what was
> going on in my mouth-just "well we need to pull this one and this one....
> I only have 15 teeth left in my mouth! The ones I do have ALL need
> reworked on because all he did was put temp. caps on them and let them
> decay underneath! It's your call! Is it neglect or malpractice? I have

Did your dentist truly "let them decay
underneath" or did you? In fact, is it
not possible that you neglected to keep
your teeth clean for the past year?

Charles Anthony UTOVAC

warr...@worldnet.att.net

Mar 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/20/97

ar...@pla-net.net wrote:

>If anyone has sued a dentist for malpractice, I would love to hear your
>story! I'd also like advice for filing a lawsuit!! I would also like to
>hear what the verdict of your cases were and if you thought it made you
>feel better after. I'm thinking about a lawsuit. Thank You!

I made the mistake of agreeing to have my dispute resolved through a
Peer Review Hearing conducted by the Queens County Dental Society of
New York State.

A final resolution has not yet been made, but the whole process has
been conducted in a completely biased manner. No matter what the
final decision is, I will be initiating legal action against the
Dental Society for fraud, and misrepresentation.

This is definetely not the way to go!

Warren

Mark Tarka

Mar 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/20/97

Yep. Dental societies are just composed of practicing
dentists.

There may be a similar problem with state authorized dental
boards. Apparently, dentists regulating dentists is bad for
the good of the public.

On the other hand, will the public regulating dentists be
good for the public?

As I hear it in Montana, there is a question as to whether
to provide for more slots for private citizens on the dental
board. Supposedly there are states that have a majority of
non-dentists sitting on boards regulating the profession.
This is just weak information on my part; it's up to you to put
down those golf clubs and check out the facts for yourself
:-)

Mark gmt...@msu.oscs.montana.edu msu-bozeman USA

rmor...@interserv.com

Mar 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/20/97

> ar...@pla-net.net writes:
> Well-Here is your requset! (I'm new at this so bear with me!) It all
> started 1 year ago! I went to a new dentist! He never told me what was
> going on in my mouth-just "well we need to pull this one and this one....
> I only have 15 teeth left in my mouth! The ones I do have ALL need
> reworked on because all he did was put temp. caps on them and let them
> decay underneath! It's your call! Is it neglect or malpractice? I have
> spent $2,000 and need to spend another $8,000 to have my teeth somewhat
> back to normal! I'll never have back teeth again no matter what! I have
> not talked to a lawyer yet, first I need input before I put more money
> into this horrible situation! It has taken a definite toll on my life I
> think I deserve some compensation! I am only 24 and I'm on the verge of
> dentures! Help-Any suggestions!

So the dentist sat back and let them decay? I don't think so! Is it maybe that you chose not to follow through
due to finances or other reasons? Although I am not denying that there inferior treatment exists, most of the
damage that occurs does so due to the patient's own negligence.Its just part of the sick epidemic in this country
that the other guy screwed up so let me sue and get some money. Do a little serious and honest introspection and ask yourself
"did I possibly have anything to this problem? R J Morell D.D.S.

rmor...@interserv.com

Mar 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/20/97
My apologies for the errors in grammar. I have trouble writing when I'm seeing red

warr...@worldnet.att.net

Mar 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/22/97

>So the dentist sat back and let them decay? I don't think so! Is it maybe that you chose not to follow through
>due to finances or other reasons? Although I am not denying that there inferior treatment exists, most of the
>damage that occurs does so due to the patient's own negligence.Its just part of the sick epidemic in this country
>that the other guy screwed up so let me sue and get some money. Do a little serious and honest introspection and ask yourself
>"did I possibly have anything to this problem? R J Morell D.D.S.

You are a perfect example of the type of dentist all patients should
avoid like the plague!!!!

Warren

Teresa

Mar 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/22/97
Sounds like you are the type of patient most dentists dislike..as much as they
do for you you sabotage all the work by not taking care of your own mouth

Paul Amadeo Bombino

Mar 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/22/97

warr...@worldnet.att.net wrote:

>>So the dentist sat back and let them decay? I don't think so! Is it maybe that you chose not to follow through
>>due to finances or other reasons? Although I am not denying that there inferior treatment exists, most of the
>>damage that occurs does so due to the patient's own negligence.Its just part of the sick epidemic in this country
>>that the other guy screwed up so let me sue and get some money. Do a little serious and honest introspection and ask yourself
>>"did I possibly have anything to this problem? R J Morell D.D.S.

>You are a perfect example of the type of dentist all patients should
>avoid like the plague!!!!

>Warren

Warren, get off the computer and go brush your teeth. While you're
at it, shove something sharp and jagged in your other gaping hole.
Moron.

che...@earthlink.net

Mar 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/22/97

all they do for you? such altruism! do you feel that way about your
plumber or do you just feel grateful he does a good job for a fair
price. Christ isn't that what we should expect of everyone regardless
of what they do for a living.

che...@earthlink.net

Mar 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/22/97
to rmor...@interserv.com

Yes patient follow through and continuation of treatment will greatly
affect outcomes. And owning one's role in any misfortune is the
ethical prerequisite to considering a lawsuit. But let's get real
dentists are people too. And it is just as likely the treatment was
poorly done. Decay left under the temporaries, poor fit, bad margins,
et al. Just take a look at your state's list of protocol violations
for dentists and you'll see everything from outright insurance fraud
to blatant incompetence and neglect! Just like looking at a police
blotter for the general puplic. A few years at Dental school does not
a saint make. Look at your own role and own it then be empowered to
seek compensation for what was done wrong minus fate if you will.

dennis

Teresa

Mar 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/23/97
Why don't you post your name so when you show up at a dental office with an
infected or a chipped tooth we'll all remember how "grateful" you are.
Teresa

Mark Warren

Mar 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/24/97

I recently had my vision examined by a Doctor of Optometry,
who happens to have his practice in the floor above of his
son's practice, who is a dentist. I told him I was a biology
student about to graduate, and was considering going to Dental
School. He looked at me straight in the eye, and told me to
reconsider that decision, since a good portion of Dentists
actually hated their job. He learned this in a skiing
vacation, when his son and three other Dentist friends
confessed separately that they actually hated their job (too
much pressure, people don't like you, you have to work on
everybody' mouth, malpractice lawsuits from people trying to
make a buck, cost of putting up your own practice, etc, etc.).
He told me to consider being a Doctor of Optometry, since they
did a clean work with much less stress involved, and were also
able to pick up a fair amount of money (from 200 to 300 a
day). "If you are really serious about being a Dentist, make
sure you take at least three days off". I was pretty
surprised, being this a comment that came from someone whose
son is a Dentist. Any comments?

Mark Tarka

Mar 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/24/97

In article <5gqdco$m...@lal.interserv.com>, rmor...@interserv.com writes:
>> rmor...@interserv.com writes:
>> > ar...@pla-net.net writes:
>> > Well-Here is your requset! (I'm new at this so bear with me!) It all
>> > started 1 year ago! I went to a new dentist! He never told me what was
[Snip...]

>> that the other guy screwed up so let me sue and get some money. Do a little serious and honest introspection and ask yourself
>> "did I possibly have anything to this problem? R J Morell D.D.S.
[Snip...]

>My apologies for the errors in grammar. I have trouble writing when I'm seeing red

Not a good time to be sitting at the keyboard then, right.
Actually this is a well-known phenomenon; net-etiquette FAQs
or statements usually warn about this problem. On the
other hand, if you are a full-blown flamer and want to heat
things up a bit....

I'd hope you do better in the clinical situation.

Mark gmt...@msu.oscs.montana.edu msu-bozeman USA

marka...@aol.com

Mar 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/26/97

In article <5h4qcm$p...@news.icanect.net>, Ma...@home.com (Mark Warren) writes:

>"If you are really serious about being a Dentist, make
>sure you take at least three days off"

For what it's worth, my dentist's office is opened only 4 days a week (Tuesday-Friday).

--Mark A. Young

Hans-Peter Kirsch

Mar 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/26/97

Mark Warren wrote:

> I recently had my vision examined by a Doctor of Optometry,
> who happens to have his practice in the floor above of his
> son's practice, who is a dentist. I told him I was a biology
> student about to graduate, and was considering going to Dental
> School. He looked at me straight in the eye, and told me to
> reconsider that decision, since a good portion of Dentists
> actually hated their job. He learned this in a skiing
> vacation, when his son and three other Dentist friends
> confessed separately that they actually hated their job (too
> much pressure, people don't like you, you have to work on
> everybody' mouth, malpractice lawsuits from people trying to
> make a buck, cost of putting up your own practice, etc, etc.).
> He told me to consider being a Doctor of Optometry, since they
> did a clean work with much less stress involved, and were also
> able to pick up a fair amount of money (from 200 to 300 a
> day). "If you are really serious about being a Dentist, make

> sure you take at least three days off". I was pretty
> surprised, being this a comment that came from someone whose
> son is a Dentist. Any comments?
Hi, as a german dentist I would not support my son or daughter to be a
dentist at all.

Kelly D. Douglass, DDS, MS

Mar 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/27/97
to KEN WELLS

KEN WELLS wrote:

> Mark Warren wrote:
> >
> > I recently had my vision examined by a Doctor of Optometry,
> > who happens to have his practice in the floor above of his
> > son's practice, who is a dentist. I told him I was a biology
> > student about to graduate, and was considering going to Dental
> > School. He looked at me straight in the eye, and told me to
> > reconsider that decision, since a good portion of Dentists
> > actually hated their job. He learned this in a skiing
> > vacation, when his son and three other Dentist friends
> > confessed separately that they actually hated their job (too
> > much pressure, people don't like you, you have to work on
> > everybody' mouth, malpractice lawsuits from people trying to
> > make a buck, cost of putting up your own practice, etc., etc.).

> > He told me to consider being a Doctor of Optometry, since they
> > did a clean work with much less stress involved, and were also
> > able to pick up a fair amount of money (from 200 to 300 a
> > day). "If you are really serious about being a Dentist, make
> > sure you take at least three days off". I was pretty
> > surprised, being this a comment that came from someone whose
> > son is a Dentist. Any comments?

I felt I knew I wanted to be a dentist since junior high school (and no
close family members were in the profession) and always had that in
mind. After my first year in dental school I decided I wanted to be a
periodontist and worked for that goal also.

I wouldn't do anything but what I do now! I love my work, my practice,
my freedom, etc. I strongly encourage others who really feel they want
dentistry as a career. I wouldn't trade places with anyone I can think
of. It's a great career with a good income.....you help a lot of
people......you have lots of freedom for family......I could go on and
on about this. I even have LOTS of people thank me daily for what I do
for them.

If you have specific questions I'd be happy to answer them for you.

--
kelly d. douglass, dds, ms
kdd...@ix.netcom.com

" jesus is returning.......and he's bringing an attorney !"

KEN WELLS

Mar 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/27/97
to Mark Warren

Mark Warren wrote:

> I recently had my vision examined by a Doctor of Optometry,
> who happens to have his practice in the floor above of his
> son's practice, who is a dentist. I told him I was a biology
> student about to graduate, and was considering going to Dental
> School. He looked at me straight in the eye, and told me to
> reconsider that decision, since a good portion of Dentists
> actually hated their job. He learned this in a skiing
> vacation, when his son and three other Dentist friends
> confessed separately that they actually hated their job (too
> much pressure, people don't like you, you have to work on
> everybody' mouth, malpractice lawsuits from people trying to
> make a buck, cost of putting up your own practice, etc, etc.).

> He told me to consider being a Doctor of Optometry, since they
> did a clean work with much less stress involved, and were also
> able to pick up a fair amount of money (from 200 to 300 a
> day). "If you are really serious about being a Dentist, make
> sure you take at least three days off". I was pretty
> surprised, being this a comment that came from someone whose
> son is a Dentist. Any comments?

Dear Marc:

Hi! I'm not sure I totally agree with your Optometrist. Although I am
only a dental assistant I know a little bit about what it is to run a
practice. My advice to you is to pursue dentistry, it is so rewarding
(now that I am working I have this dream of becoming a dentist but it is
just that).

To be a dentist I think it is important that you can take criticism well,
deal with all kinds of people, are a caring person and that you don't get
extremely stressed out all of the time. The dentist I work for has a lot
of faith in his staff and I think that it helps him not to worry about
everything and not get all "stressed-out" all of the time. Ben (the
dentist) is a really great guy with a terrific sense of humor and I know
that is why our small town loves him so much. (I live in a small town
where it is difficult to be accepted when you are new and come from the
city and somehow Ben overcame this).

There are quite a few dentists who are taking on associates for their
practices and this can be a great thing for the new grad. As an
associate you are not faced with the stress of building your own practice
and all of the continual head aches that come along with owning your own
business. If you pursue dentistry my advice to you is to start out as an
associate. Speak with dentists who are approaching an age where they
will soon retire. Many dentists work well into their 60's and some into
their 70's but decide to cut back the hours they spend at the office and
hand over the rest of the work load to the other dentist and some may
decide to retire but still own their practice and stay out of the office
scene (except for the occasional time they want to check up on you!) If
I were to go back to school and become a dentist I would definitely go
this route because I know how "in-debt" one can be after graduating...who
can afford to build-up a new practice and meet all of the expenses
involved (get hold of a dental supplies cataloge...its amazing!)

Good luck! By the way, were are you from? It amazes me to find where
everyone lives...I've spoke with profesionals all over the place.
Remember...if this is really what you want to do...do it! You may want
to start speaking to dentists in your area about the opportunities in
your area for associates to get an idea.

Sincerely,
Sarah Wells

Teri

Mar 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/27/97

Mark,
Have you considered a career in Dental Hygiene? More and more men are
discovering the rewards of this profession.

It only takes four years to obtain a degree in dental hygiene. (There
are "2 year" programs but be warned- it takes 4 years to complete those
programs as well!)

Demand for dental hygienists is high in most areas of the U.S. Salaries
vary depending on the area of the country, but I personally know
hygienists who are earning $300.+ per day on the West coast.

Working conditions allow for a very flexible schedule. You can pick
where and when you work from 1/2 day to 6 days per week.

Compared to dentistry schooling is much less expensive, there is no need
to buy or start a practice. You do not need to hire employees or run a
business. You are never "on call"

The career of dental hygiene is very rewarding. The patients are great,
and the results of your work can be seen every day in their smiling
faces!
Good luck to you.
Lynn, RDH

WYZJ

Mar 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/30/97
to H-P-K...@t-online.de

what's so suprising about most dentists hating their jobs?
90% of everybody hates their job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
only 10% pursue their job with a pasion!
so to single out dentists is WRONG. let's talk about
the real problem of people picking employment.
there are GREAT rewards in dentistry, but like any profession,
get in there and try is out, volunteer, assist,
whatever before making a committment!
don't be stupid and decide on a profession without knowing
what it's about!

bill

Steven W. Fawks DDS

Apr 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/4/97

I, for one, do not hate my job as a dentist. I really can't imagine
doing anything else that I would enjoy more and still make a living.
(This net stuff doesn't pay too well) There are certain cases and
certain patients that I do not enjoy, but overall I am quite happy.

SWF DDS

Kam78

Apr 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/5/97

sure dentists have stress...so do md's, atty's, and every other hi
pressure profession...you have to deal with it and find your own comfort
zone...but dentistry can be a great, very satisfying career for you if you
keep it in the proper prospective ...believe me...