Can I Glue A Piece Back On A Crown ?

bh

Aug 2, 2006, 9:47:41 AM8/2/06
....it's porcelain (?), front tooth, large corner piece.
What kind of glue / bond will be safe to use?

Thanks

Mark & Steven Bornfeld

Aug 2, 2006, 10:12:31 AM8/2/06

In my experience, these repairs rarely hold up for long. Many of the
porcelain repair materials used in the dental office require etching
with hydrofluoric acid, which is very corrosive. I'm using a bonding
agent that doesn't require HFl etching, called "Etch Free" by
Parkell--it's used in conjunction with C&B Metabond. Not to be
technical, but this is expensive stuff, and even then my results have
been mixed.
IOW, this ain't a do it yourself job, and it's likely if this is a
crown it will need replacement.
Now, if I misinterpret you and this is a bonded resin restoration, it's
very easy to replace, but you can't glue it on--it would have to be
re-done by your dentist.

Steve

--
Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
http://www.dentaltwins.com

Bill Gates(Email to me without 'this is not spam' in the subject is directed straight to the trash unread by automatic filters.)

Aug 2, 2006, 2:40:56 PM8/2/06
I think you're going to need to go to the dentist. I had a resin
restoration chip a few years ago. I used cyanoacrylate glue (that is,
Krazy Glue) after finding a research study in which it was used
internally in a patient, which suggested it was safe. I was surprised
to find it would not hold long - just a couple days, perhaps, if you're
careful - enough that, with re-gluing, I didn't look ridiculous 'till I
could see a dentist less than a week later; I had some event to go to
in the interim, and couldn't bear looking like I did. Oh, and don't get
your fingers stuck to your teeth! Using the stuff requires dexterity,
which fortunately, I have! I wonder if the glue dentists use for
crowns is a specialized kind of cyanoacrylate cement - it smells like
it, and there are many kinds.
Read this:
http://groups.google.com/group/nz.general/browse_frm/thread/9db473754da5e4e0/7b2b6c07fb193836?lnk=st&q=&rnum=1#7b2b6c07fb193836

i.e.
http://www.howstuffworks.com/dental12.htm

Mark & Steven Bornfeld

Aug 2, 2006, 3:28:55 PM8/2/06
Bill Gates(Email to me without 'this is not spam' in the subject is

There have been cyanoacrylate cements used for porcelain repairs--I've
used them in the past. Problem is that they have significant solubility
in the mouth, so they don't hold up.
The problem with someone doing it in their own mouth (besides the
fingers getting stuck!) is that if you get it almost but not quite in
place it can alter the bite and turn into a bigger problem (though
usually these misaligned pieces quickly fall off.

Alexander Vasserman DDS

Aug 4, 2006, 4:17:51 AM8/4/06
superglue disolves in water. Water is also the catalyst to make it
set-up
glueing porcelan with this material is not recomended.
porcelain can be repaired but only by a dentist who is familiar and has
good success with porcelain bonding.

Bill Gates(Email to me without 'this is not spam' in the subject is

Jeffrey Krantz

Aug 6, 2006, 9:29:04 PM8/6/06
It will not hold.
I realize that it is not the answer you want, but unfortunately, no
commercial glue bonds to the metal substructure.
"bh" <d...@ixpres.com> wrote in message