Re: French Women Don't Get Fat

MU

Jan 14, 2005, 12:49:12 PM1/14/05
On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 12:13:34 -0500, Bob M wrote:

> http://www.usatoday.com/life/lifestyle/2005-01-03-french-diet-cover_x.htm
>
> The idea is that you eat what you want, but less of it. You don't worry
> about calories. And you walk a lot. You savor food.

Imagine that. Someone ought to come up with a diet that is simple, promotes
walking and eating in moderation.

Oh, someone has.

http://www.heartmdphd.com/losewtnd.pdf

wond...@world-net.com

Jan 14, 2005, 4:22:32 PM1/14/05
"Oh, someone has.

http://www.heartmdphd.com/losewtnd.pdf"

I would wait until the fixed diet is done, 4 areas of major flaws have
been identified and there will soon resume a reformation project to
complete it and remove the flaws. We wait Andrew's return as he will
contribute his knowledge in one of the flaw areas, as he has already
started to do in previous work on the fix project. If you think you might
have some contribution, here re the flaw areas not addressed well by the
"diet" as it now is stated:

energetics

health

nutrition

exercise

Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD

Jan 17, 2005, 12:44:38 AM1/17/05

Local Atlanta restaurants with authentic French cuisine serve the least
amount of food of all the other kinds of local restaurants. Their
customers do not come back for the "value" of quantity but for the
ambience and presentation. In short, their customers are following the
2PD Approach without knowing it.

At His service,

Andrew

--
Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD
Board-Certified Cardiologist

**
Suggested Reading:
(1) http://makeashorterlink.com/?L26062048
(2) http://makeashorterlink.com/?O2F325D1A
(3) http://makeashorterlink.com/?X1C62661A
(4) http://makeashorterlink.com/?U1E13130A
(5) http://makeashorterlink.com/?K6F72510A
(6) http://makeashorterlink.com/?I24E5151A
(7) http://makeashorterlink.com/?I22222129

Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD

Jan 17, 2005, 12:44:33 AM1/17/05

See Exodus 16:16-17

One Omer (2 pounds) of food (manna) is all a person needs independent of
energetics, health, nutrition, or exercise. This is by God's design.
He should know because He made us.

wwund...@werdnet.com

Jan 17, 2005, 2:20:59 PM1/17/05
Andrew, do you see any potential input from this therad in the two pound
diet revision project? As you have noted, your strength is in the health
flaw area only, while having little to add to the energetics, nutrition,
and exercise areas that are currently flaws in the diet. Knowing how the
French are very big on healthy fresh foods some progress might have been
made in that area by accident. Do stay in touch, the project starts anew
soon in a newsgroup near you.

Don Kirkman

Jan 17, 2005, 7:05:37 PM1/17/05
It seems to me I heard somewhere that Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD wrote in
article <1105945930.bb89f80c1864392c5581cf77cbe0ac6b@teranews>:

>wond...@world-net.com wrote:

>> "Oh, someone has.

>> http://www.heartmdphd.com/losewtnd.pdf"

>> I would wait until the fixed diet is done, 4 areas of major flaws have
>> been identified and there will soon resume a reformation project to
>> complete it and remove the flaws. We wait Andrew's return as he will
>> contribute his knowledge in one of the flaw areas, as he has already
>> started to do in previous work on the fix project. If you think you might
>> have some contribution, here re the flaw areas not addressed well by the
>> "diet" as it now is stated:

>> energetics
>> health
>> nutrition
>> exercise

>See Exodus 16:16-17

>One Omer (2 pounds) of food (manna) is all a person needs independent of
>energetics, health, nutrition, or exercise. This is by God's design.
>He should know because He made us.

The omer is a dry measure; one omer is 1/10 of an ephah and thus 1/100
of an homer. The omer was about 3.36 quarts; how did you determine that
3.36 quarts of manna, which was described as like coriander seed*,
equaled two pounds? And are you accounting for the quails they also ate
along with the manna?

* Exodus 16:31
--
Don
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed

wunde...@werdnet.com

Jan 17, 2005, 8:41:37 PM1/17/05
"See Exodus 16:16-17

One Omer (2 pounds) of food (manna) is all a person needs independent of
energetics, health, nutrition, or exercise. This is by God's design.
He should know because He made us."

Oh dear Andrew, using scripture is always a bit of a tricky thing that is
apt to come round and bite one in unseemly places.

Here is the scripture of intrest, plus a bit more which clarifies even
more. First each man was to collect an omer and take it to his familey in
his tents. Second the actual amount varied so that any amount met the
needs of however many people were to consume it. Not each had an omer,
each tent had an omer and it met the needs of all in it. Now, God took
care of these people iin a special way, but we are to have our daily bread
in the usual way and doing so we must account for the flaws in the two
pound diet as it now stands in the areas of energetics, health, nutrition,
and exercise. I see someone has already corrected you on the conversion
of omer to units with wich we are familiar and it just doesn't tally in
any meaningful dietary sense. Here is the scripture:

16:16 This is the thing which the LORD hath commanded, Gather of it every
man according to his eating, an omer for every man, according to the
number of your persons; take ye every man for them which are in his
tents.

16:17 And the children of Israel did so, and gathered, some more, some
less.

16:018 And when they did mete it with an omer, he that gathered much
had nothing over, and he that gathered little had no lack; they
gathered every man according to his eating.

wunde...@werdnet.com

Jan 17, 2005, 8:46:40 PM1/17/05
One more thought on how the omer is clearly not applicable for the two
pound diet. It was a measure of dry volume, such as in measuring grain,
it was not a measure of weight. For the same volume according to the dry
substance there can be a great difference in weight.

Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD

Jan 17, 2005, 11:43:19 PM1/17/05

One Omer is a volume measure of about one liter.

http://makeashorterlink.com/?Z6E81224A

One liter of any kind of food will weigh about 2 pounds independent of
water content.

> And are you accounting for the quails they also ate
> along with the manna?

When the Israelites ate quail they were stricken with the plague (Nu
11:33).

Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD

Jan 17, 2005, 11:43:15 PM1/17/05

"Take an omer (of manna) for each person you have in your tent."

Sounds like one size fits all to me. It is likely that an omer of manna
weighed about 2 lbs :-)

http://makeashorterlink.com/?Z6E81224A

Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD

Jan 17, 2005, 11:43:11 PM1/17/05

An omer (liter) of food will weigh about 2 pounds independent of water
content. Indeed, a liter of sweetened ice tea will weigh about 2
pounds. So too will a liter of flour.

Bob (this one)

Jan 18, 2005, 1:35:47 AM1/18/05
Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD wrote:

> Don Kirkman wrote:
>
>>It seems to me I heard somewhere that Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD wrote in
>>article <1105945930.bb89f80c1864392c5581cf77cbe0ac6b@teranews>:

>>>See Exodus 16:16-17
>>
>>>One Omer (2 pounds) of food (manna) is all a person needs independent of
>>>energetics, health, nutrition, or exercise. This is by God's design.
>>>He should know because He made us.

He also made the manna of which we know virtually nothing. We don't
know if it conformed to any nutritional conditions that normal foods
are bound to. So we can't know the caloric density of it or the
balance of nutrients. In short, it can't be used as any sort of
standard since we know nothing of it's component criteria.

And since an omer isn't a liter, it blows the whole nonsense out of
the water. But I expect we can count on Chung insisting that an omer
is a liter no matter what sources are offered because of his "truth
discernment ray" that doesn't need logic, facts or actual experience
to be absolutely correct in his pronouncements.

>>The omer is a dry measure; one omer is 1/10 of an ephah and thus 1/100
>>of an homer. The omer was about 3.36 quarts; how did you determine that
>>3.36 quarts of manna, which was described as like coriander seed*,
>>equaled two pounds?

> One Omer is a volume measure of about one liter.

No. It isn't.

> http://makeashorterlink.com/?Z6E81224A

This link Chung provides makes no reference to the actual volume of an
omer. As usual, he either didn't read it or thinks no one else will to
get the truth of the matter.

Here are a few that do:
Webster's Unabridged
o'mer, n. [Heb. Omer] an ancient Hebrew dry measure equal to about
3.7 quarts; one tenth of an ephah.

<http://www.reference-guides.com/isbe/O/OMER/>
OMER
o'-mer (`omer): A dry measure, the tenth of an ephah, equal to about 7
1/2 pints.

<http://www.thefreedictionary.com/omer>
o·mer - An ancient Hebrew unit of dry measure equal to 1/10 ephah,
about 3.5 liters (3.7 quarts).

An omer of food cannot weigh 2 pounds unless you're talking about
marshmallows or cotton candy.

> One liter of any kind of food will weigh about 2 pounds independent of
> water content.

Besides being inaccurate, it's irrelevant and it's too vague to be
useful. "Independent of water content"? Freeze dried foods have had
the water removed. A liter of virtually anything freeze dried will
weigh a very few ounces and be wonderfully "independent of water
content." A liter of rice will weigh something over 2 pounds, a liter
of rice flour will weigh about 3 pounds. But so what.

Not one rational medical authority has suggested using weight or
volume as the sole criterion for a reasonable dietary regimen. Not one
professional medical organization. Not one professional dietary
organization. Not one organization dedicated to a specific disease or
chronic condition. And most assuredly no one else would dream of
saying that 2 pounds would do for everyone as both weight loss program
*and* a maintenance program for the same everybodies no matter how
old, big, active or healthy.

Same old, same old Chung silliness. Still trying to force that round
peg of the 2 pound diet (that suddenly isn't a diet any more; it's a
lifestyle change, he says - little late coming to the band wagon,
no...?) into the square hole of intelligent, factual analysis.

Bob

Bob (this one)

Jan 18, 2005, 1:40:36 AM1/18/05
Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD wrote:
> wunde...@werdnet.com wrote:
>
>>One more thought on how the omer is clearly not applicable for the two
>>pound diet. It was a measure of dry volume, such as in measuring grain,
>>it was not a measure of weight. For the same volume according to the dry
>>substance there can be a great difference in weight.
>
> An omer (liter)

An omer is 3 1/2 liters, not one liter. I expect this will join the
Chung Parade of Unadmitted Blunders like the caloric content of bread
or potatoes. Or maybe how many calories are expended in a 5 mile
run... Stuff like that.

Those biblical desert wanderers ate a whole lot of food in a day. Must
have been pretty low caloric density, that manna.

Looks like it was more like 7+ pounds. I don't know how much manna
weighs "independent of water." Neither does Chung. Doesn't seem to
stop him from pontificating anyway.

Bob

GaryG

Jan 18, 2005, 9:49:49 AM1/18/05
"Bob (this one)" <B...@nospam.com> wrote in message

No. It isn't.

> http://makeashorterlink.com/?Z6E81224A

Bob

Well said, Bob. But, my "whack-job discernment ray" has alerted me to the
"truth" that logic and facts will have no effect on Chung's obsessions.

GG

wunde...@werdnet.com

Jan 18, 2005, 12:07:56 PM1/18/05
"This link Chung provides makes no reference to the actual volume of an=20
omer. As usual, he either didn't read it or thinks no one else will to=20

get the truth of the matter."

http://makeashorterlink.com/?Z6E81224A

Do a search on liter in the link, the rabbi consulted says the omer was
the name of a fee to be payed and was also a measure of dry volume, and he
adds that it would be like saying the fee was a quart or liter and the
name for the measure also being the name for the fee. Andrew saw what his
preconception wanted to see. Now let's see if my friend Andrew corrects
himself or retracts the statement, that will be the measure and there are
names for it if he doesn't.

wunde...@werdnet.com

Jan 18, 2005, 12:12:16 PM1/18/05

wunde...@werdnet.com

Jan 18, 2005, 12:31:22 PM1/18/05
Andrew, I with draw my original observation that the scripture instruction
did not refer to each person. I do so not on the basis of your phrase:

""Take an omer (of manna) for each person you have in your tent."

Sounds like one size fits all to me. It is likely that an omer of
manna weighed about 2 lbs :-)"

The phrase above doesn't appear in the scripture in question. I do so on
the basis of consulting another translation, the rsv, where the term
"person" is used in place of "man" in the kjv I used. As you must know,
don't you, reference in scripture when speaking of groups of people often
refered to "man/men" while the women and children had to be infered. The
scripture I provided used "man" only and that each "man" was to gather an
omer and take it to his tents.

Andrew, see, retraction is not painful at all and confession good for the
soul, which might be the advice to take in your case where applying
tortured logic and wishful expectation to try to make an omer equate to 2
lbs or a liter as you do in another post. An omer was a unit of dry
volume, as in measuring grain and not weight. At around 3.6 liters we
have no way to know the weight one could fit into that volume because it
would vary greatly depending on what was being measured. I see others
have joined on this question and they will no doubt add other valuable
information to the 2 lb diet revision project, including those you can
make. If for no other reason, having others to proofread is now a
demonstrated value in itself.

Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD

Jan 18, 2005, 5:03:30 PM1/18/05
> o搶er - An ancient Hebrew unit of dry measure equal to 1/10 ephah,

I stand corrected not by you but by a kind soul who has informed me that
"omer" in Hebrew literally means "a certain unit of weight." So an
"omer" probably was about 2 pounds (or almost 1 kilogram) because that
is all that someone needs to reach and maintain "ideal" body weight,
ime:

http://www.heartmdphd.com/wtloss.asp

God is great :-)

Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD

Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD

Jan 18, 2005, 5:03:40 PM1/18/05

I stand corrected not by you but by a kind soul who has informed me that

Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD

Jan 18, 2005, 5:03:37 PM1/18/05

I stand corrected not by you but by a kind soul who has informed me that

wunde...@werdnet.com

Jan 18, 2005, 4:51:10 PM1/18/05
"I stand corrected not by you but by a kind soul who has informed me that
"omer" in Hebrew literally means "a certain unit of weight." So an
"omer" probably was about 2 pounds (or almost 1 kilogram) because that
is all that someone needs to reach and maintain "ideal" body weight,"

Oh Andrew, I really expected more from you this time, you take the word of
someone out of the blue in place of the references given on the net.
Even in the example you gave of it's use in the rabbi article it was
clearly said to be a unit of volume for such things as grain. It matters
not who corrects whom but that we get the straight on this, and even more
important how you as an individual handles the whole matter as it might
reflect on you. "Probably" is such a slippery term, does it suggest one
wanting to slip slide away? The rabbi article you gave did not support
your notion it was a liter, Andrew please please do consider that actions
and behavior have consequences. Unless and until you can provide
documented third party support in contridiction to that provided you we
must reject your unsupported assertion and wonder why you are driven to
continue this thin ice line. Thus far we have web references and the word
of a rabbi you provided that contridict this curious line of action.

Don Kirkman

Jan 18, 2005, 7:30:41 PM1/18/05
article <1106022150.d72c9ebca8dce809cb417f483ba1e03e@teranews>:

>> >See Exodus 16:16-17

3.36 quarts do not equal one liter; according to Websters New Collegiate
Dictionary, one dry measure quart is about 1.101 liters, making 3.36 dry
quarts about 3.699 liters.

>http://makeashorterlink.com/?Z6E81224A

Sorry, you obviously have a reading problem. Here is what that site
says about the omer; it doesn't define the amount at all but is
commenting on the odd fact that the Offering of the Omer is the only one
described by a quantity, not by other attributes such as "peace" or
"thanksgiving" like the other required offerings.

'Number one: What does the word 'omer' mean? Omer was just a measure. It
was the amount of grain that they had to bring. Is it not strange that
the Korban should be called by the name omer? That is, in effect, like
calling it the "Quart Offering" or the "Liter Offering."'

>One liter of any kind of food will weigh about 2 pounds independent of
>water content.

Rather hard to believe, but perhaps you have a credible source?

>> And are you accounting for the quails they also ate
>> along with the manna?

>When the Israelites ate quail they were stricken with the plague (Nu
>11:33).

Sorry, no manna around the camp at the time of the spoiled meat from the
quails in Numbers 11. OTOH, in the story you first referenced God
commanded the Hebrews to eat meat in the evening and bread in the
morning, Exodus 16:12, and in the evening quails came up and covered
the camp, Exodus 16:13, and in the morning the manna was on the ground.

Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD

Jan 18, 2005, 10:34:48 PM1/18/05

I stand corrected not by you but by a kind soul who has informed me that

"omer" in Hebrew literally means "a certain unit of weight." So an
"omer" probably was about 2 pounds (or almost 1 kilogram) because that
is all that someone needs to reach and maintain "ideal" body weight,

ime:

http://www.heartmdphd.com/wtloss.asp

> 'Number one: What does the word 'omer' mean? Omer was just a measure. It
> was the amount of grain that they had to bring. Is it not strange that
> the Korban should be called by the name omer? That is, in effect, like
> calling it the "Quart Offering" or the "Liter Offering."'

..or the "2 Pound Offering" :))))

> >One liter of any kind of food will weigh about 2 pounds independent of
> >water content.
>
> Rather hard to believe, but perhaps you have a credible source?

This has already been discussed in the past. Would suggest you use
Google.

> >> And are you accounting for the quails they also ate
> >> along with the manna?
>
> >When the Israelites ate quail they were stricken with the plague (Nu
> >11:33).
>
> Sorry, no manna around the camp at the time of the spoiled meat from the
> quails in Numbers 11.

The manna stopped when the Israelites complained about becoming tired of
eating *only* manna.

> OTOH, in the story you first referenced God
> commanded the Hebrews to eat meat in the evening and bread in the
> morning, Exodus 16:12,

Apparently one day only. The rest of the 40 years was only manna and no
quail (Exodus 16:35 and Numbers 11:4).

> and in the evening quails came up and covered
> the camp, Exodus 16:13, and in the morning the manna was on the ground.

Again, apparently one day only followed by years of only manna leading
up to the scene of Numbers 11:33 when a plague occurred as a consequence
of eating *fresh* quail after complaining about manna.

Bob (this one)

Jan 18, 2005, 11:20:53 PM1/18/05

>>o·mer - An ancient Hebrew unit of dry measure equal to 1/10 ephah,

As predicted. Chung stands corrected, he says and then offers the same
error that he started with. But this time he offers utterly spurious
and unfounded logic to reach an arrogantly self-serving conclusion.
Same old, same old...

The very simple fact of the matter is that an omer is a very
*specific* unit of weight and that unit is 3.5 liters. End of story.
It's like saying a pound is a certain unit of weight. It is,, of
course, but it has absolute standards, just like an omer.

As for "all that someone needs" as a criterion to dismiss historical
records, it's the same shabby display of Chung's egocentricity that he
always does when his blunders are called to his attention. He's right
and knowledgeable and experienced authorities are wrong.

As usual, he's wrong and as usual, he tries to ignore the elephant in
the room and spouts sound and fury to divert attention from it. How
stupid does he think everyone is?

This is why he exemplifies charlatanry and quackery. This is why he's
seen as inherently dishonest. This is why he simply cannot be trusted
in his pronouncements. If he's willing to lie and be this deliberately
obtuse about these trifles, why should anyone believe he's any other
way the rest of the time? It's so predictable a pattern of behavior
that it should be a foregone conclusion he'll lie and dissemble to
avoid admitting a blunder. He *says* he does, but he seems to lie
about it.

Let's see. He says he admits mistakes. Then he lies about the mistakes
so he doesn't have to admit it. I'd say that's certainly a picture of
mental health and outstanding integrity.

Bob

Tiger Lily

Jan 19, 2005, 1:22:07 PM1/19/05
"Bob (this one)" <B...@nospam.com> wrote in message com...

Bob

leaves one wondering about his dismissal in Ocalla 'for just cause'.........
just cause he can't admit he's wrong?