Re: How much to eat and why

Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD

Jul 24, 2008, 7:12:34 PM7/24/08
neighbor GysdeJongh wrote:

> Diabetes. 2008 Jul;57(7):1768-73.
>
> Neurophysiological pathways to obesity: below awareness and beyond
> individual control.
>
> A global obesity epidemic is occurring simultaneously with ongoing increases
> in the availability and salience of food in the environment. Obesity is
> increasing across all socioeconomic groups and educational levels and occurs
> even among individuals with the highest levels of education and expertise in
> nutrition and related fields. Given these circumstances, it is plausible
> that excessive food consumption occurs in ways that defy personal insight or
> are below individual awareness. The current food environment stimulates
> automatic reflexive responses that enhance the desire to eat and increase
> caloric intake, making it exceedingly difficult for individuals to resist,
> especially because they may not be aware of these influences. This article
> identifies 10 neurophysiological pathways that can lead people to make food
> choices subconsciously or, in some cases, automatically. These pathways
> include reflexive and uncontrollable neurohormonal responses to food images,
> cues, and smells; mirror neurons that cause people to imitate the eating
> behavior of others without awareness; and limited cognitive capacity to make
> informed decisions about food. Given that people have limited ability to
> shape the food environment individually and no ability to control automatic
> incumbent upon society as a whole to regulate the food environment,
> including the number and types of food-related cues, portion sizes, food
> availability, and food advertising.
>
> PMID: 18586908
>
> It is often assumed that people make decisions about food and eating in
> rational conscious ways.

Not while suffering from the delusion that "hunger is bad because it
means starvation."

Where there is delusion, there is loss of rational thinking.

It remains more rational to simply and freely choose to eat less, down
to the right amount:

http://groups.google.com/group/sci.med.cardiology/msg/3558812d72ab4e17?

May you and other dear neighbors, friends, and brethren have a
blessedly wonderful 2008th year since the birth of our LORD Jesus
Christ as our Messiah, the Son of Man ...

... by being hungrier:

http://groups.google.com/group/sci.med.cardiology/msg/f891e617d10bd689?

Hunger is wonderful ! ! !

It's how we know what GOD desires, which is all that is good.

Yes, hunger is our knowledge of good versus evil that Adam and Eve
paid for with their and our immortal lives.

"Blessed are you who hunger NOW...

... for you will be satisfied." -- LORD Jesus Christ (Luke 6:21)

Amen.

Here is a Spirit-guided exegesis of Luke 6:21 given in hopes of
promoting much greater understanding:

http://groups.google.com/group/sci.med.cardiology/msg/cc2aa8f8a4d41360?

Be hungrier, which is healthier.

Marana tha

Prayerfully in the awesome name of our Messiah, LORD Jesus Christ,

Andrew <><
--
http://groups.google.com/group/sci.med.cardiology/msg/117245343707310e?