Pediatric Fatty Liver Boosts Cardiovascular Disease Risk

Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD

May 3, 2008, 6:59:34 PM5/3/08
COLORADO SPRINGS — Pediatric nonalcoholic fatty liver disease is
strongly associated with multiple cardiovascular risk factors, often
in excess of clinical thresholds for considering pharmacotherapy, Dr.
Stephen Cook said at a conference of the American Heart Association.

Moreover, the prevalence of metabolic syndrome in children and
adolescents with nonalcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD) is twice
that seen in equally obese youths without the hepatic disease,
according to Dr. Cook, of the University of Rochester (N.Y.) Medical
Center.

He added that these new findings from a 300-patient case-control study
underscore the importance of routine screening for NAFLD in obese
youth as recently recommended by an expert panel comprising
representatives of 15 professional organizations (Pediatrics
2007;120:S163–288).

NAFLD is “a severe precursor which, if not reversed, is going to be
one of the leading causes of liver failure in adulthood,” Dr. Cook
said in an interview.

The cardiovascular risk profiles documented in this study raise the
prospect that youths with NAFLD may be predisposed to highly premature
cardiovascular morbidity and mortality, he noted.

Dr. Cook reported on 150 severely obese children and adolescents with
biopsy-proven NAFLD and an equal number of age-, gender-, and obesity-
matched controls with normal liver function tests and no hepatomegaly
or other signs of NAFLD.

“Across the board, these obese kids with fatty liver had far higher
triglycerides, LDL, fasting blood glucose, insulin, blood pressure,
and lower HDL than matched controls who were just as obese,” he said.

Overall, 80 youths with NAFLD and 35 controls met the three-component
definition for metabolic syndrome.

In a logistic regression analysis controlled for age, race, gender,
insulin resistance, and body mass index, subjects with NAFLD were two-
to sixfold more likely than were controls to exceed treatable
thresholds for various cardiovascular risk factors. (See box.)

The recent expert panel recommendations included comprehensive reports
on the treatment, prevention, and assessment of pediatric obesity.
Panelists recommended that lipid profiles routinely be obtained in
youths who are at or above the 85th percentile for BMI, and
recommended liver function tests, fasting blood glucose, and lipid
profiles in all those at or above the 95th percentile.

Although liver biopsy is required for definitive diagnosis of NAFLD,
there is considerable interest in noninvasive screening. Magnetic
resonance imaging is probably the best method at present, followed by
CT with contrast. Ultrasound is the least informative method, but
fatty infiltration does cause the liver to light up on ultrasound, and
the attenuation can be compared with the spleen, Dr. Cook said.

*******

A simple parable given in hopes of promoting much greater
understanding:

http://HeartMDPhD.com/Parable

Life in industrialized nations is life in feed lots. It is up to
parents to figure out what is the right amount of food for their
children. Because the right amount for the parents is 32 ounces, the
right amount for their children will be varying degrees less.

<><

http://HeartMDPhD.com/HolySpirit/Counsels

Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD

May 3, 2008, 7:03:10 PM5/3/08

yama...@aol.com

May 4, 2008, 11:06:52 AM5/4/08
On May 3, 3:59 pm, "Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD"

<heartdo...@emorycardiology.com> wrote:
able

> Life in industrialized nations is life in feed lots. It is up to
> parents to figure out what is the right amount of food for their
> children. Because the right amount for the parents is 32 ounces, the
> right amount for their children will be varying degrees less.

Backpedaling a little here Chung? Now it's up to parents to determine
the right amount of food for their children rather than feeding then
32 ounces of food per day?

Of course children need varying amounts of food according to their
activities, age and weight. Just like every other human in the world.
There is not one ounce, not one iota of scientifically derived
evidence that shows that 32 ounces of food per day is the *right*
amount.

If you put your usual nonsense links calling me Satan in response to
my reply it will prove what a sick, twisted brain you have.

Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD

May 4, 2008, 12:06:28 PM5/4/08

yama...@aol.com

May 4, 2008, 12:52:31 PM5/4/08
On May 4, 9:06 am, "Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD"
<heartdo...@emorycardiology.com> wrote:
> http://HeartMDPhD.com/Valuelesssatan
>
> <><
>
> http://HeartMDPhD.com/TruthCutssatan

Once again Andrew proves what a sick and twisted brain he has and that
he is no longer fit to practice medicine. Any reasonable person would
be man enough to admit he made a mistake about insisting that two
pounds per day was the optimal amount of food for everyone. But now,
Andrew persists in his delusion that anyone who questions him is
Satan.

yama...@aol.com

May 4, 2008, 1:02:24 PM5/4/08
On May 3, 3:59 pm, "Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD"

I've reposted Chung's admission that 2 pounds per day isn't optimal
for everyone in order to ensure that this admission is forever
archived on Google Groups for future reference, and his original post
and context is archived. This is further proof that Chung is the liar
we all know him to be. Let's see him try to wiggle out of this one
this time.

Hey Chung, better get cracking on that tax form 990 for 2007. The IRS
is interested in your claim of 2 million dollars.

J666

May 4, 2008, 1:11:25 PM5/4/08
On Sun, 4 May 2008 11:52:31 -0500, yama...@aol.com wrote
(in message
<8ae3acbe-656e-4391...@q24g2000prf.googlegroups.com>):

> Once again Andrew proves what a sick and twisted brain he has and that
> he is no longer fit to practice medicine. Any reasonable person would
> be man enough to admit he made a mistake about insisting that two
> pounds per day was the optimal amount of food for everyone. But now,
> Andrew persists in his delusion that anyone who questions him is
> Satan.

The 2PD Blah Blah was originally two pounds of food so that 2 pounds of
chocolate was the same as 2 pounds of sugar-free Jello, but a while back the
Oracle Of Mableton (OOM) opinied that it was to be a balanced diet.

I have no doubt that the OOM will change the 2PDer for adults and not
children.

Though, since the 2PDer Omer is based on Exodus and manna from heaven, there
is no mention of children having less, so the Biblical interpretation relies
on manna and not other foods - but just as an omer is a volume and not a
weight, that is not important to OOM

Since the OOM is delusional, conistency and reason are not needed, and would
not be expected.

Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD

May 4, 2008, 2:54:22 PM5/4/08

yama...@aol.com

May 4, 2008, 3:23:03 PM5/4/08
On May 4, 11:54 am, "Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD"
<heartdo...@emorycardiology.com> wrote:
> http://HeartMDPhD.com/CrazySockPuppets
>
> <><
>
> http://HeartMDPhD.com/TruthCutssatan

Good, Andrew. I'm glad you agree that you have been a liar and a
source of medical misinformation and a tax fraud in the past. It is
now time for you to change your way.

Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD

May 4, 2008, 7:52:24 PM5/4/08

yama...@aol.com

May 4, 2008, 9:42:01 PM5/4/08
On May 4, 4:52 pm, "Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD"
<heartdo...@emorycardiology.com> wrote:
> http://HeartMDPhD.com/TooStupidsatan
>
> <><
>
> http://HeartMDPhD.com/HolySpirit/Warns

Good Andrew. Good to see that you finally realize that your idea that
2 pounds of food per day for everyone was stupid. Perhaps you are
heeding the warning that your stupidity in this matter and your
inability to practice medicine due to mental illness have come to the
attention of the Georgia Medical Board investigators.

Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD

May 4, 2008, 10:44:37 PM5/4/08

yama...@aol.com

May 4, 2008, 10:56:44 PM5/4/08
On May 4, 7:44 pm, "Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD"
<heartdo...@emorycardiology.com> wrote:
> http://HeartMDPhD.com/Valuelesssatan
>
> <><
>
> http://HeartMDPhD.com/TruthCutssatan

Good. Finally Chung you realize that there is no value to the stupid
crap you post everyday about 2 pounds per day for everyone. Indeed,
the truth is that people need to adjust their intake according to
their weight, activity, age and medical condition.

Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD

May 5, 2008, 2:55:51 AM5/5/08

yama...@aol.com

May 5, 2008, 3:09:00 AM5/5/08
On May 4, 11:55 pm, "Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD"
<heartdo...@emorycardiology.com> wrote:
> http://HeartMDPhD.com/DumbCrazysatan
>
> <><
>
> http://HeartMDPhD.com/HolySpirit/Warns

Yes, Chung. We all already know that you are crazy and getting dumber
by the day due to your mental illness. Plus you are a personality
disordered liar and a tax fraud and a dissembler of Scriptures to fit
your delusional view of the world.. You are a failure at real life and
a failure in your fantasy life too. It must suck to be you, so
desperate and flailing, playing with your imaginary friend the Holy
Spirit...putting words in it's mouth.

And now you are trying to pretend that you haven't been pushing 2
pounds per day for everyone, of every age, build, constitution and
weight. You are busted. You have publically admitted the 2PD diet is
bullshit and not the *right* amount of food for everyone.

You don't have to keep posting crap admitting what a dishonest,
mentally ill wretch you are. Although it is rather amusing to see how
compulsive and delusional you can be. You have no free will. You are
compelled to respond to each post.

Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD

May 5, 2008, 3:55:07 AM5/5/08

yama...@aol.com

May 5, 2008, 3:58:06 AM5/5/08
On May 5, 12:55 am, "Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD"
<heartdo...@emorycardiology.com> wrote:
> http://HeartMDPhD.com/Feeblesatan
>
> <><
>
> http://HeartMDPhD.com/HolySpirit/Warns

See? Chung, you couldn't resist posting. I controlled you.

Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD

May 5, 2008, 6:26:14 AM5/5/08

yama...@aol.com

May 5, 2008, 10:44:13 AM5/5/08
On May 5, 3:26 am, "Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD"
<heartdo...@emorycardiology.com> wrote:
> http://HeartMDPhD.com/DumbCrazysatan
>
> <><
>
> http://HeartMDPhD.com/HolySpirit/Warns

And you posted again Chung. You have no free will. You do my bidding
now, Chung

Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD

May 6, 2008, 5:03:06 AM5/6/08