associates in integral domains

lite.o...@gmail.com

Oct 14, 2008, 12:48:32 AM10/14/08
R is integral domain. let a~b mean a,b are associates (i.e, a = bu
for some unit u)

a is element of R.
1) Let a be irreducible. Then a~b if and only if b is irreducible.
2) Let a be prime. Then a~b if and only if b is prime.
3) Let a be unit. Then a~b if and only if b is a unit.

Which of these is incorrect (which direction of the 3 biconditionals)?
Not asking for proof, just wondering if the above 3 are correct.

quasi

Oct 14, 2008, 1:58:36 AM10/14/08
On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 21:48:32 -0700 (PDT), lite.o...@gmail.com
wrote:

They are all correct, and the proofs are instant -- try them.

quasi

quasi

Oct 14, 2008, 2:28:16 AM10/14/08

Oops.

I read the statements too quickly.

The forward implications are all correct, that is:

Let a be irreducible. Then a ~ b => b is irreducible.

Let a be prime. Then a ~ b => b is prime.

Let a be a unit. Then a ~ b => b is a unit.

and, as previously noted, the proofs are instant.

For the reverse implications,

Let a be irreducible. Then b irreducible => a ~ b.

Let a be prime. Then b prime => a ~ b

Let a be a unit. Then b a unit => a ~ b.

the first two are silly (false in almost any ring -- try Z for
example), and the third one is trivially true.

quasi

lite.o...@gmail.com

Oct 14, 2008, 3:45:03 AM10/14/08
Yes, thank you quasi.

Now, tell me if this is true or not (or how to modify it to make it
true).

If D is a commutative ring and D[t] is a P.I.D., then D is a field.

What is your favourite reference for algebra?

quasi

Oct 14, 2008, 9:13:16 AM10/14/08
On Tue, 14 Oct 2008 00:45:03 -0700 (PDT), lite.o...@gmail.com
wrote:

>Yes, thank you quasi.
>
>Now, tell me if this is true or not (or how to modify it to make it
>true).
>
>If D is a commutative ring and D[t] is a P.I.D., then D is a field.

Yes, it's true.

Suppose D[t] is a PID, and d in D is a nonzero nonunit element of

Consider the ideal

I = (d,t).

By hypothesis, I is principal, so we have I = (h), for some h in D[t].

Then d,t are in (h).

You take it from there.

>What is your favourite reference for algebra?

There are lots of great algebra textbooks, but none that I would
regard as a single, all-in-one reference.

quasi

Arturo Magidin

Oct 14, 2008, 9:34:58 AM10/14/08
In article <d5c77686-b2fa-4f4f...@v72g2000hsv.googlegroups.com>,

Only one of the biconditionals is true; in the other two cases, only
one of the two implications holds, the other one does not.

Here's a hint: try it in a familiar setting, say, the
integers. Extrapolate.

"It's not denial. I'm just very selective about
what I accept as reality."
--- Calvin ("Calvin and Hobbes" by Bill Watterson)

Arturo Magidin
magidin-at-member-ams-org

Muhammad

Oct 14, 2008, 10:12:56 AM10/14/08
On Oct 14, 7:34 am, magi...@math.berkeley.edu (Arturo Magidin) wrote:
> In article <d5c77686-b2fa-4f4f-a022-15b99bec4...@v72g2000hsv.googlegroups.com>,

Am I missing something here? From what I know for an integral domain R
(commutative ring without zeo divisors and with 1 =! 0), a~b iff
aR = bR. A nonzero element p of R is a prime if (and only if) pR is a
prime ideal. (So -3 is a prime in Z the ring of integers.)Also an
element a is a nonunit if and only if aR =! R. Finally a nonunit is
irreducible if and only if a is not expressible as a product of two or
more nonunits. (A tongue in the cheek definition of an irreducible
element is: a is irreducible if a = xy implies a divides x or a
divides y.)
Muhammad

Bill Dubuque

Oct 15, 2008, 1:00:15 AM10/15/08
Muhammad <mzafr...@usa.net> wrote:
>mag...@math.berkeley.edu (Arturo Magidin) wrote:

>><lite.o...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> R is integral domain. let a~b mean a,b are associates
>> (i.e, a = bu for some unit u). a is element of R.
>>>
>>> 1) Let a be irreducible. Then a~b <=> b is irreducible.
>>> 2) Let a be prime. Then a~b <=> b is prime.
>>> 3) Let a be unit. Then a~b <=> b is a unit.

>>> Which of these is incorrect (which direction of the 3 biconditionals)?
>>> Not asking for proof, just wondering if the above 3 are correct.
>>
>> Only one of the biconditionals is true; in the other two cases, only
>> one of the two implications holds, the other one does not. Here's a
>> hint: try it in a familiar setting, say, the integers. Extrapolate.
>
> Am I missing something here? From what I know for an integral domain R
> (commutative ring without zero divisors and 1 =! 0), a~b iff aR = bR.

Beware that various notions of "associate" equivalent in domains
do not generally remain equivalent in rings, e.g. see [1], [2].

> A non0 element p of R is a prime if (and only if) pR is a prime ideal.
> An element a is a nonunit if and only if aR =! R. Finally a nonunit is
> irreducible iff its not expressible as a product of two or more nonunits.

Arturo's reply is correct, so it's not clear what your point is.

> (A tongue in the cheek definition of an irreducible element is:

> a is irreducible if a = xy implies a|x or a|y.)

Why tongue-in-cheek? It's useful pedagogically in order to make clear
the implication prime => irreducible, e.g. from one of my 2005 posts:
for nonunit p

p irreducible iff p = ab => p|a or p|b

p prime iff p | ab => p|a or p|b

Thus p prime => p irreducible

follows immediately from p = ab => p|ab

--Bill Dubuque

[1] http://google.com/groups?threadm=y8zznru8v1d.fsf%40nestle.ai.mit.edu

[1] When are Associates Unit Multiples?
D.D. Anderson, M. Axtell, S.J. Forman, and Joe Stickles
Rocky Mountain J. Math. Volume 34, Number 3 (2004), 811-828.
http://math.la.asu.edu/~rmmc/rmj/vol34-3/andepage1.pdf
http://projecteuclid.org/handle/euclid.rmjm/1181069828

Bill Dubuque

Oct 15, 2008, 1:12:10 AM10/15/08
lite.o...@gmail.com wrote:

> tell me if this is true or not (or how to modify it to make it true).
>
> If D is a commutative ring and D[t] is a PID then D is a field.

The same question was asked here last week, see my simple hint there:
http://google.com/groups?threadm=y8zljx0c7gp.fsf%40nestle.csail.mit.edu

--Bill Dubuque

Muhammad

Oct 15, 2008, 3:08:42 AM10/15/08
On Oct 14, 11:00 pm, Bill Dubuque <w...@nestle.csail.mit.edu> wrote:
> Muhammad <mzafrul...@usa.net> wrote:
> >magi...@math.berkeley.edu (Arturo Magidin) wrote:

> >> (i.e, a = bu for some unit u). a is element of R.

> >> Only one of the biconditionals is true; in the other two cases, only
> >> one of the two implications holds, the other one does not. Here's a
> >> hint: try it in a familiar setting, say, the integers. Extrapolate.
>
> > Am I missing something here? From what I know for an integral domain R
> > (commutative ring without zero divisors and 1 =! 0), a~b  iff  aR = bR.
>
> Beware that various notions of "associate" equivalent in domains
> do not generally remain equivalent in rings, e.g. see [1], [2].

The question was for R an integral domain! So, your warning is
unwarranted.

> > A non0 element p of R is a prime if (and only if) pR is a prime ideal.
> > An element a is a nonunit if and only if aR =! R. Finally a nonunit is
> > irreducible iff its not expressible as a product of two or more nonunits.
>
> Arturo's reply is correct, so it's not clear what your point is.

If you claim that, then you should provide counter-examples, using
elements of an integral domain, for the implications that do not hold.
It is a good thing we are talking Mathematics, you know how to correct
me.

> > (A tongue in the cheek definition of an irreducible element is:
> >  a is irreducible if a = xy implies a|x or a|y.)
>
> Why tongue-in-cheek? It's useful pedagogically in order to make clear
> the implication prime => irreducible, e.g. from one of my 2005 posts:
> for nonunit p
>
>         p irreducible  iff  p = ab => p|a or p|b
>
>         p    prime     iff  p | ab => p|a or p|b
>
>   Thus  p prime => p irreducible
>
>   follows immediately from  p = ab => p|ab

I have no problem with that, the tongue in the cheek part comes from
this definition, of irreducible, being close to the definition of a
prime. When used without warning it does have an interesting effect.
(I once heard someone say: But that is how you define a prime! Of
course after a while the guy calmed down.)

> --Bill Dubuque
>
> [1]http://google.com/groups?threadm=y8zznru8v1d.fsf%40nestle.ai.mit.edu
>
> [1] When are Associates Unit Multiples?
> D.D. Anderson, M. Axtell, S.J. Forman, and Joe Stickles
> Rocky Mountain J. Math. Volume 34, Number 3 (2004), 811-828.http://math.la.asu.edu/~rmmc/rmj/vol34-3/andepage1.pdfhttp://projecteuclid.org/handle/euclid.rmjm/1181069828

The paper that you mention in the reference is a good paper, but as I
pointed out before, the OP had a question about elements of a
particular integral domain where an associate means what the OP said.
Muhammad

Muhammad

Oct 17, 2008, 12:54:10 AM10/17/08
On Oct 13, 10:48 pm, lite.on.b...@gmail.com wrote:
> R isintegraldomain.  let a~b mean a,b areassociates(i.e, a = bu

> for some unit u)
>
> a is element of R.
> 1) Let a be irreducible.  Then a~b if and only if b is irreducible.
> 2) Let a be prime.  Then a~b if and only if b is prime.
> 3) Let a be unit.  Then a~b if and only if b is a unit.
>
> Which of these is incorrect (which direction of the 3 biconditionals)?
> Not asking for proof, just wondering if the above 3 are correct.
All are correct. Because there has been some hassle about their
correctness I am including below the proofs.

R is integral domain. let a~b mean a,b are associates (i.e, a = bu
for some unit u)
a is element of R.
1) Let a be irreducible. Then a~b if and only if b is irreducible.
a irreducible implies b irreducible. Suppose not then say b is a
product of two nonunits x,y. I.e. b=xy. But then a =bu =xyu = (x)(yu)
a product of two nonunits. Conversely suppose that b is irreducible
and suppose by way of contradiction that a is not and say a = rs where
r and s are nonunits. Then rs =bu which gives rs(u^{-1})=
r(s(u^{-1}))= b which contradicts the assumption that b is

irreducible.
2) Let a be prime. Then a~b if and only if b is prime.
a being a prime implies aR is a prime ideal and a ~b means that aR =
bR. So a being a prime implies that b is a prime the converse can be
proved in the same manner.

3) Let a be unit. Then a~b if and only if b is a unit.
# use a~b iff aR = bR and the fact that for a domain R and for x in R
x is a unit iff xR = R.

Which of these is incorrect (which direction of the 3
biconditionals)?
Not asking for proof, just wondering if the above 3 are correct.
All are correct, and gathering mathematical info without proof is what
made you ask those questions in the first place.
Muhammad

quasi

Oct 17, 2008, 1:54:54 AM10/17/08
On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 21:54:10 -0700 (PDT), Muhammad
<mzafr...@usa.net> wrote:

>On Oct 13, 10:48 pm, lite.on.b...@gmail.com wrote:
>> R is integral domain.  let a~b mean a,b are associates (i.e, a = bu
>> for some unit u)
>>
>> a is element of R.
>> 1) Let a be irreducible.  Then a~b if and only if b is irreducible.

>> 2) Let a be prime.  Then a~b if and only if b is prime.
>> 3) Let a be unit.  Then a~b if and only if b is a unit.
>>
>> Which of these is incorrect (which direction of the 3 biconditionals)?
>> Not asking for proof, just wondering if the above 3 are correct.
>
>All are correct.

I think you are misinterpreting the biconditionals.

Each of the statements has the form:

Let A. Then B <=> C.

The forward direction is:

Let A. Then B => C.

The reverse direction is:

Let A. Then C => B.

With that interpretation, the statements

(1) Let a be irreducible. Then a~b if and only if b is irreducible.

(2) Let a be prime. Then a~b if and only if b is prime.

are true in the forward direction, but the reverse direction fails
badly for most rings (for example Z).

quasi

Muhammad

Oct 17, 2008, 2:37:23 AM10/17/08
On Oct 16, 11:54 pm, quasi <qu...@null.set> wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 21:54:10 -0700 (PDT), Muhammad

You are right. If b is a prime and a is a prime it does not mean that
a~b, unless in a domain with only one prime. I did overlook that.
Same with irreducible. I think I should retire.
Oh, and I do apologize to every one involved.
Muhammad

Muhammad

Oct 17, 2008, 2:39:04 AM10/17/08
On Oct 14, 11:00 pm, Bill Dubuque <w...@nestle.csail.mit.edu> wrote:
> Muhammad <mzafrul...@usa.net> wrote:
> >magi...@math.berkeley.edu (Arturo Magidin) wrote:
> Rocky Mountain J. Math. Volume 34, Number 3 (2004), 811-828.http://math.la.asu.edu/~rmmc/rmj/vol34-3/andepage1.pdfhttp://projecteuclid.org/handle/euclid.rmjm/1181069828- Hide quoted text -

Sorry about6 that. I was not thinking straight.
Muhammad

Muhammad

Oct 17, 2008, 2:40:19 AM10/17/08
On Oct 14, 7:34 am, magi...@math.berkeley.edu (Arturo Magidin) wrote:
> In article <d5c77686-b2fa-4f4f-a022-15b99bec4...@v72g2000hsv.googlegroups.com>,

Arturo, you were right and I was wrong. I must not be thinking
straight these days.
Muhammad

Muhammad

Oct 17, 2008, 2:41:43 AM10/17/08
On Oct 13, 10:48 pm, lite.on.b...@gmail.com wrote:

Arturo's answers was right and mine wrong.
Muhammad