Sum of first odd numbers

1 view

José Carlos Santos

Jan 3, 2011, 7:37:23 AM1/3/11
Hi all,

Consider the statement: "The sum of the first _n_ odd numbers is n^2".
I saw it ascribed to Pythagoras, but I very much doubt that this is
true. Does anyone here know where did this statement appeared for the
first time?

Best regards,

Jose Carlos Santos

José Carlos Santos

Jan 3, 2011, 8:20:31 AM1/3/11
On 03-01-2011 12:37, José Carlos Santos wrote:

> Consider the statement: "The sum of the first _n_ odd numbers is n^2".
> I saw it ascribed to Pythagoras, but I very much doubt that this is
> true. Does anyone here know where did this statement appeared for the
> first time?

Forget it. The statement was, at least, _known_ by the Pythagoreans. I
got this information from Sir Thomas Heath's A History of Greek
Mathematics.

Han de Bruijn

Jan 3, 2011, 10:34:38 AM1/3/11

1 + 3 = 4
1 + 3 + 5 = 9
1 + 3 + 5 + 7 = 16
1 + 3 + 5 + 7 + 9 = 25

In general:
1 + 3 + 5 + .. + 2*n-1 = s
2*n-1 + 2*n-3 + 2*n-5 + .. + 1 = s

2*s = 2*n*n ==> s = n^2 . Thus true, not?

Han de Bruijn

Jesse F. Hughes

Jan 3, 2011, 11:00:13 AM1/3/11

He was asking whether it was true that the Pythagoreans proved it. I'm
sure he agrees that it is a true mathematical claim.

(In any case, he later discovered an authority that the Pythagoreans
knew the theorem.)

--
Jesse F. Hughes
"And hey, if you're moping and miserable because mathematics tests you,