quotation

Paul J. Bell

Aug 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/14/96

a friend and i have a different opinion regarding the author of the following quotation:

"Also the astronomers surely will not have to continue to exercise the
patience which is required for computation. It is this that deters them
from computing or correcting tables, from the construction of
Ephemerides, from working on hypotheses, anf form discussions of
observations with each other. For it is unworthy of excellent men to
lose hours like slaves in the labour of calculation which could safely
be relegated to anyone else if machines were used."

said friend thinks that the author was Leibniz and i think that it was Gauss.
opinions, please, with a reference, if possible.

cheers,
-paul

Dave Seaman

Aug 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/14/96

I think it was Charles Babbage. I don't recognize the entire quote,
but the last sentence of your quotation is quite familiar. Neither
Leibniz nor Gauss was proposing the use of a machine to replace human
labo[u]r in the calculation of mathematical tables. Babbage was, by
means of his Difference Engine. The mention of astronomers rings true,
because Babbage's request for government funds to continue his project
was denied by the Astronomer Royal.

I may be able to find a reference for you this evening.

--
Dave Seaman dse...@purdue.edu
++++ stop the execution of Mumia Abu-Jamal ++++

Jim Gillogly

Aug 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/14/96

In article <4ussdp$1...@ns2.ny.ubs.com>, Paul J. Bell <p...@ny.ubs.com> wrote:
>a friend and i have a different opinion regarding the author of the following quotation:

>observations with each other. For it is unworthy of excellent men to
>lose hours like slaves in the labour of calculation which could safely
>be relegated to anyone else if machines were used."
>
>said friend thinks that the author was Leibniz and i think that it was Gauss.
>opinions, please, with a reference, if possible.

I think it's Blaise Pascal, but I don't have a reference either. That
makes four guesses amongst four people.
--
Jim Gillogly
Trewesday, 22 Wedmath S.R. 1996, 21:42

John Chandler

Aug 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/15/96

In article <4ut2sf$p...@seaman.cc.purdue.edu>,

Dave Seaman <a...@seaman.cc.purdue.edu> wrote:
>In article <4ussdp$1...@ns2.ny.ubs.com>, Paul J. Bell <p...@ny.ubs.com> wrote:
>>a friend and i have a different opinion regarding
>>the author of the following quotation:
>>
>>"Also the astronomers surely will not have to continue to exercise the
>>patience which is required for computation. It is this that deters them
>>from computing or correcting tables, from the construction of
>>Ephemerides, from working on hypotheses, anf form discussions of
>>observations with each other. For it is unworthy of excellent men to
>>lose hours like slaves in the labour of calculation which could safely
>>be relegated to anyone else if machines were used."
>>
>>said friend thinks that the author was Leibniz and i think that it was Gauss.
>>opinions, please, with a reference, if possible.
>
>I think it was Charles Babbage. I don't recognize the entire quote,
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>but the last sentence of your quotation is quite familiar. Neither
>Leibniz nor Gauss was proposing the use of a machine to replace human
>labo[u]r in the calculation of mathematical tables. Babbage was, by
>means of his Difference Engine. The mention of astronomers rings true,
>because Babbage's request for government funds to continue his project
>was denied by the Astronomer Royal.

Maybe.

Did not Herschel exclaim to Babbage and another student,
"Would to God these calculations could be done by steam!"?

Supposedly it was this remark that started Babbage on his
career designing computing machines. During that career he must
have made similar remarks many times.

Now don't ask if it was Herschel The Elder or
Herschel The Younger... (both were astronomers and one or both
were Astronomers Royal, were they not?).
(Pardon the vagueness; my encyclopedia is at home.)

--
John Chandler
j...@a.cs.okstate.edu

Dan Nelson

Aug 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/15/96

Paul J. Bell <p...@sherry.ubss.com> wrote:
> a friend and i have a different opinion regarding the author of the
> following quotation:
>
> "Also the astronomers surely will not have to continue to exercise
> the patience which is required for computation. It is this that
> deters them from computing or correcting tables, from the
> construction of Ephemerides, from working on hypotheses, anf form
> discussions of observations with each other. For it is unworthy of
> excellent men to lose hours like slaves in the labour of calculation
> which could safely be relegated to anyone else if machines were
> used."
>
> said friend thinks that the author was Leibniz and i think that it
> was Gauss. opinions, please, with a reference, if possible.

An Altavista search on the phrase "anyone else if machines were used"
returns 3 hits, all attributed to Leibniz. The phrase "lose hours like
slaves" returns 9, still attributed to Leibniz. None of the pages say
where the quote came from, however.

-Dan Nelson
dne...@emsphone.com

Aquiles Luna-Rodriguez

Aug 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/15/96

Dave Seaman (a...@seaman.cc.purdue.edu) wrote:

: In article <4ussdp$1...@ns2.ny.ubs.com>, Paul J. Bell <p...@ny.ubs.com> wrote:
: >a friend and i have a different opinion regarding the author of the following quotation:
: >
: >said friend thinks that the author was Leibniz and i think that it was Gauss.

: >opinions, please, with a reference, if possible.

: I think it was Charles Babbage. I don't recognize the entire quote,

I thought of Babbage too, even before reading the first followup. Various
articles about him and the inference engine have appeared in Spektrum der
Wissenschaft (german language version of Scientific American). I think
the citation comes from the last one, about the reconstruction of the
engine for a british museum. Sorry, no date; but the index should be
enough to find it.

* Aquiles Luna-Rodriguez //there is a bg in this line *
* Universitaet Hamburg, Germany //Nobody expects... *
* pz4...@rrz.uni-hamburg.de //..the Spanish Inquisition! *

Matthew P Wiener

Aug 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/15/96

In article <4ut2sf$p...@seaman.cc.purdue.edu>, ags@seaman (Dave Seaman) writes:
>In article <4ussdp$1...@ns2.ny.ubs.com>, Paul J. Bell <p...@ny.ubs.com> wrote:
>>a friend and i have a different opinion regarding the author of the following quotation:

>>"Also the astronomers surely will not have to continue to exercise the

>>patience which is required for computation. It is this that deters them
>>from computing or correcting tables, from the construction of
>>Ephemerides, from working on hypotheses, anf form discussions of
>>observations with each other. For it is unworthy of excellent men to
>>lose hours like slaves in the labour of calculation which could safely
>>be relegated to anyone else if machines were used."

>>said friend thinks that the author was Leibniz and i think that it

>>was Gauss. opinions, please, with a reference, if possible.

>I think it was Charles Babbage. I don't recognize the entire quote,

>but the last sentence of your quotation is quite familiar. Neither
>Leibniz nor Gauss was proposing the use of a machine to replace human
>labo[u]r in the calculation of mathematical tables.

Only half correct. Gauss loved doing endless calculations.

But Leibniz certainly had a dream of a universal calculating machine
that would replace all of _philosophy_ even with automatic computation.
I recall--again without a source--one quotation in which Leibniz specu-
lates that future philosophers, when they wish to resolve a dispute,
will say, "come, let us calculate."

> Babbage was, by
>means of his Difference Engine. The mention of astronomers rings true,
>because Babbage's request for government funds to continue his project
>was denied by the Astronomer Royal.

But in Babbage's day, the issues mentioned in the quotations were not
issues--such types of calculations had already been completed in many
aspects, but were mostly inexistent in Leibniz' day.

>I may be able to find a reference for you this evening.

A likely secondary source on Leibniz and computers is Martin Gardner
LOGIC MACHINES AND DIAGRAMS.
--
-Matthew P Wiener (wee...@sagi.wistar.upenn.edu)

Mike Kent

Aug 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/15/96

Aquiles Luna-Rodriguez wrote:

> Dave Seaman (a...@seaman.cc.purdue.edu) wrote:

> : In article <4ussdp$1...@ns2.ny.ubs.com>, Paul J. Bell <p...@ny.ubs.com> wrote:
> : >a friend and i have a different opinion regarding the author of the following quotation:
> : >
> : >said friend thinks that the author was Leibniz and i think that it was Gauss.

> : >opinions, please, with a reference, if possible.
>
> : I think it was Charles Babbage. I don't recognize the entire quote,
>
> I thought of Babbage too, even before reading the first followup. Various
> articles about him and the inference engine have appeared in Spektrum der
> Wissenschaft (german language version of Scientific American). I think
> the citation comes from the last one, about the reconstruction of the
> engine for a british museum. Sorry, no date; but the index should be
> enough to find it.

I do not have a reference, but I have seen the quote often in .sig files,
always attibuted to Leibnitz. [ "It is unworthy of excellent men ..." ].
Since Leibnitz was interested in mechanical caluclation (and designed and
had constructed at least one prototype of a mechanical calculating machine),
and since he was also something of an astroneomer, and the flavor of the
quotation seems (to me) more-17th century than Victorian, I'd -guess- that
the .sig file attributions are correct, and it's Leibnitz. [ Also, this is
USENET, right? so the likelihood of an incorrect attribution not resulting in
a flame to the .signatory is about 0 ... ]

Kevin Brown

Aug 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/15/96

p...@sherry.ubss.com (Paul J. Bell) wrote:
> A friend and I have a different opinion regarding the author of the
> following quotation:
>

> "Also the astronomers surely will not have to continue to
> exercise the patience which is required for computation.
> It is this that deters them from computing or correcting
> tables, from the construction of Ephemerides, from working
> on hypotheses, anf form discussions of observations with
> each other. For it is unworthy of excellent men to lose
> hours like slaves in the labour of calculation which could
> safely be relegated to anyone else if machines were used."
>
> Said friend thinks that the author was Leibniz and I think that
> it was Gauss. Opinions, please, with a reference, if possible.

Said friend is correct. The passage is the 2nd to last paragraph
in a manuscript of Leibniz, dated 1685 (several years after he
actually built his first mechanical computer), with the
characteristically Leibnizian title

"Machina arithmetica in qua non additio tantum et subtractio
sed et multiplicatio nullo, divisio vero paene nullo animi
labore peragantur"

This article, translated from the Latin into English, is reproduced
in D. E. Smith's "A Source Book in Mathematics" (Dover, p. 173). The
article begins with Leibniz's account of his moment of inspiration:

When, several years ago, I saw for the first time an
instrument which, when carried, automatically records
the number of steps taken by a pedestrian, it occurred
to me at once that the entire arithmetic could be
subjected to a similar kind of machinery so that not
only counting, but also addition and subtraction,
multiplication and division could be accomplished by
a suitably arranged machine easily, promptly, and with
sure results.

The calculating box of Pascal was not known to me
at that time... When I noticed, however, the mere name
of a calculating machine in the preface of his "posthumous
thoughts"...I immediately inquired about it in a letter
to a Parisian friend. When I learned from him that such
a machine exists I requested the most distinguished
Carcavius by letter to give me an explanation of the
work which it is capable of performing.

I find this interesting because (like the above title) it's so
characteristic of Leibniz. He was a sponge for knowledge and
information, and tireless in ferreting it out of friends,
acquaintences, and strangers alike. Once he had gotten all
the information he could about Pascal's machine, he set
himself the task of making an even better machine.

There are obvious parallels with his development of the calculus.
He learned via Oldenberg in the early 1670s that a secretive man
at Cambridge was evidently in possession of a wonderful method for
solving problems related to tangents, series, sums, etc, but he
would only give hints about the general method. As with the
appearance of "the MERE NAME of a calculating machine" in Pascal's
papers, the mere mention of a wonderful general method for
handling problems of this kind was enough to perk up Leibniz's
ears and set him working on the task. Before long he had a method
that was, for practical purposes, at least the equal of Newton's
fluxions (although his philosophical justification for it was
less sophisticated than Newton's).
| /*\ |
| MathPages / \ http://www.seanet.com/~ksbrown/ |
|______________/_____\_____________________________________|

Ilias Kastanas

Aug 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/15/96

In article <4uv8tf$g...@netnews.upenn.edu>,
Matthew P Wiener <wee...@sagi.wistar.upenn.edu> wrote:

[ . . . ]

>But Leibniz certainly had a dream of a universal calculating machine
>that would replace all of _philosophy_ even with automatic computation.
>I recall--again without a source--one quotation in which Leibniz specu-
>lates that future philosophers, when they wish to resolve a dispute,
>will say, "come, let us calculate."

His dream was first, a precise symbolic language ("characteristica
universalis") to express everything in science 'and philosophy' (it is
not clear how _wide_ this was to be) and second, a computational method
("calculus ratiocinator") to resolve statements in that language. I
don't remember whether he actually envisaged a machine doing the work.
I recall the quote that instead of quarrels and squabbles people would
say "Calculemus".

Limited to mathematics, the dream did come true; but the computa-
tional effort involved is probably more than what Leibniz hoped for.

Ilias

Tal Kubo

Aug 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/15/96

Matthew P Wiener <wee...@sagi.wistar.upenn.edu> wrote:

>>>"Also the astronomers surely will not have to continue to exercise the
>>>patience which is required for computation. It is this that deters them
>>>from computing or correcting tables, from the construction of
>>>Ephemerides, from working on hypotheses, anf form discussions of
>>>observations with each other. For it is unworthy of excellent men to
>>>lose hours like slaves in the labour of calculation which could safely
>>>be relegated to anyone else if machines were used."
>
>>>said friend thinks that the author was Leibniz and i think that it
>>>was Gauss. opinions, please, with a reference, if possible.

>>I think it was Charles Babbage. I don't recognize the entire quote,
>>but the last sentence of your quotation is quite familiar. Neither
>>Leibniz nor Gauss was proposing the use of a machine to replace human
>>labo[u]r in the calculation of mathematical tables.
>
>Only half correct. Gauss loved doing endless calculations.

Yes and no. Gauss farmed out certain tabulations to human calculators --
certainly in number theory, and probably also in his astronomical work.

Leibniz, by the way, built an "arithmometer" capable of basic arithmetic
and square roots. At least according to Arnol'd's (superb) HUYGENS,
BARROW, NEWTON & HOOKE.

Dave Seaman

Aug 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/15/96

In article <4uts20$n...@news.cis.okstate.edu>,

John Chandler <j...@a.cs.okstate.edu> wrote:
>In article <4ut2sf$p...@seaman.cc.purdue.edu>,
>Dave Seaman <a...@seaman.cc.purdue.edu> wrote:
>>I think it was Charles Babbage. I don't recognize the entire quote,
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>but the last sentence of your quotation is quite familiar. Neither
>>Leibniz nor Gauss was proposing the use of a machine to replace human
>>labo[u]r in the calculation of mathematical tables. Babbage was, by

>>means of his Difference Engine. The mention of astronomers rings true,
>>because Babbage's request for government funds to continue his project
>>was denied by the Astronomer Royal.

>Maybe.

>Did not Herschel exclaim to Babbage and another student,
>"Would to God these calculations could be done by steam!"?

>Supposedly it was this remark that started Babbage on his
>career designing computing machines. During that career he must
>have made similar remarks many times.

Actually, Babbage made the remark to Herschel, and Herschel agreed that
it was possible. I found this in the introduction to _Charles Babbage
and his Calculating Engines_ (Edited and with introduction by Philip
Morrison and Emily Morrison). I have a Dover edition that was
published in 1961.

Babbage's own description of the event appears in Chapter V, but he
does not identify the "friend" to whom he made the remark. The
Morrisons claim it was Herschel.

>Now don't ask if it was Herschel The Elder or
>Herschel The Younger... (both were astronomers and one or both
>were Astronomers Royal, were they not?).
>(Pardon the vagueness; my encyclopedia is at home.)

Babbage's friend was Herschel the Younger. The Astronomer Royal who
recommended no further expenditure of government funds on Babbage's
calculating engines was Sir Gearge Airy.

So far I have not been able to locate the precise quote that started
this thread, and I am not entirely confident that it was Babbage.

John A. Wasser

Aug 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/15/96

> "Also the astronomers surely will not have to continue to exercise the
> patience which is required for computation. It is this that deters them
> from computing or correcting tables, from the construction of
> Ephemerides, from working on hypotheses, anf form discussions of
> observations with each other. For it is unworthy of excellent men to
> lose hours like slaves in the labour of calculation which could safely
> be relegated to anyone else if machines were used."

An AltaVista search for "unworthy of excellent men" turned up 10
web pages. 1 says Babbage, 1 pointer is stale, the other
8 say Leibnitz (although one had "(?)" after the name).

Documents 1-10 of 10 matching some of the query terms, in no particular order.

Cognitive and Neural Systems: Michael Beddows
Michael Beddows. Graduate Student Department of Cognitive and
Neural Systems Boston University 677 Beacon
St. Boston, MA 02215. Bed...@cns.bu.edu (617)...
http://cns-web.bu.edu/pub/beddows/hp.html
- size 2K - 8 Jun 96

No Title
The List: Version 2.0. Started by par...@usc.edu. "Though this
be madness, yet there is method in 't." -- William
Shakespeare Confuscius say,"Man who...
http://www-scf.usc.edu/~parrott/List.html
- size 20K - 5 Jun 95

Benefits and Advantages of an Integrated Mathematics and Computer Science
Benefits and advantages of an integrated Mathematics and Computer
Science degree. December 1993. T.C. Hurley
Department of Mathematics, University College.
http://tedser.ucg.ie/benefits.html
- size 18K - 19 Sep 95

No Title
Charles Babbage. "It is unworthy of excellent men to lose hours
like slaves in the labor of calculation which could be
relegated to anyone else if...
http://marie.mit.edu/~bruen/babbage.html
- size 16K - 17 Mar 96

No Title
E0947. COMPUTING IN CRYSTALLOGRAPHY: THE EARLY DAYS. Robert
Langridge, Computer Graphics
Laboratory, University of California, San Francisco, CA 94143,...
http://www.hwi.buffalo.edu/aca/IUCr/cga17/abstracts/E0947.html
- size 2K - 23 Apr 96

No Title
Some of My Favorite Quotes. TV Show: When we are boys, we want to
be just like our fathers. When we are
teenagers, we want to have nothing to do with our..
http://rvl1.ecn.purdue.edu/~gnelson/quote.html
- size 5K - 19 Jun 96

WinaWeb -Mopjes
WinaWeb Overzicht] [Mopjes Overzicht]
_______________________________ From:
klu...@grissom.larc.nasa.gov...
http://hagar.arts.kuleuven.ac.be/~wina/ontspanning/jokes/science.11.html
- size 57K - 4 Oct 95

No Title
Fourth Grade Wizards. "It is unworthy of excellent men to lose hours
like slaves in the labor of calculation which
could be relegated to anyone else..
http://davednet.daviess.k12.ky.us/~susan/portfoli.htm
- size 2K - 5 Feb 96

No Title
6.4 QUOTES ____________________________________________ "There
is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers...
http://www.fys.ruu.nl/~nienhuys/scijokes/sj64.txt
- size 28K - 17 Jun 96

No Title
Some of My Favorite Quotes. Buddhist Proverb: Everyone is given the
key to the gates of Heaven; The same key
opens the gates of Hell. J. W. von Goethe:...
http://cs.iastate.edu/~honavar/quotes.html
- size 6K - 26 Jun 96

John A. Wasser, Software Engineer
was...@tiac.net http://www.tiac.net/users/wasser
"I work on IBM PC clones but I use Macintoshes"

james dolan

Aug 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/16/96

ilias kastanas writes:

- His dream was first, a precise symbolic language ("characteristica
- universalis") to express everything in science 'and philosophy' (it is
- not clear how _wide_ this was to be) and second, a computational method
- ("calculus ratiocinator") to resolve statements in that language. I
- don't remember whether he actually envisaged a machine doing the work.
- I recall the quote that instead of quarrels and squabbles people would
- say "Calculemus".
-
- Limited to mathematics, the dream did come true;

of course it did _not_ come true. as you well know it was destroyed
by (among others) goedel.

Matthew P Wiener

Aug 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/16/96

In article <4uvp0q$h...@gap.cco.caltech.edu>, ikastan@alumnae (Ilias Kastanas) writes:
>In article <4uv8tf$g...@netnews.upenn.edu>,

>Matthew P Wiener <wee...@sagi.wistar.upenn.edu> wrote:

>>I recall--again without a source--one quotation in which Leibniz specu-
>>lates that future philosophers, when they wish to resolve a dispute,
>>will say, "come, let us calculate."

> I recall the quote that instead of quarrels and squabbles people would
> say "Calculemus".

Right. That is the first person plural Latin subjunctive.

My translation was provided for free.

Allen Adler

Aug 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/16/96

>Only half correct. Gauss loved doing endless calculations.

I vaguely recall that in E.T.Bell's Men of Mathematics, he says that
Gauss became very depressed during his second computation of the
orbit of some comet, maybe Pallas. (I think one had to do computations
at least twice to detect errors). What I particularly remember was
him mentioning that Gauss wrote in the margins of his computations,
"Death is dearer to me than such a life." I also recall that it
eventually got to be too much for him to endure and he abandoned the
computation.

I don't doubt that Gauss loved doing computations, as the dozens of
digits of accuracy that he gives for some results and the fact that he
would even contemplate detailed orbital computations testify volumes.
But there is also this other side to it.

Allan Adler
ad...@pulsar.cs.wku.edu

Ilias Kastanas

Aug 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/18/96

In article <4v27do$q...@charity.ucr.edu>,

It did come true. You are confusing Goedel Incompleteness with
Goedel Completeness.

Ilias

Fred W. Helenius

Aug 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/18/96

ad...@pulsar.wku.edu (Allen Adler) wrote:

>I vaguely recall that in E.T.Bell's Men of Mathematics, he says that
>Gauss became very depressed during his second computation of the
>orbit of some comet, maybe Pallas. (I think one had to do computations
>at least twice to detect errors). What I particularly remember was
>him mentioning that Gauss wrote in the margins of his computations,
>"Death is dearer to me than such a life." I also recall that it
>eventually got to be too much for him to endure and he abandoned the
>computation.

Bell's version of the story differs from your recollections. Here is
the passage from "The Prince of Mathematicians", contained in _Men
of Mathematics_:

The death of his friend Ferdinand, the wretched state of Germany
under French looting, financial straits, and the loss of his first
wife all did their part toward upsetting Gauss' health and making his
life miserable in his early thirties. Nor did a constitutional
predisposition to hypochondria, aggravated by incessant overwork,
help matters. His unhappiness was never shared with his friends, to
whom he is always the serene correspondent, but is confided--only
once--to a private mathematical manuscript. After his appointment to
the directorship at Goettingen in 1807 Gauss returned occasionally
for three years to one of the great things noted in his diary. In a
manuscript on elliptic functions purely scientific matters are
suddenly interrupted by the finely pencilled words "Death were dearer
to me than such a life." His work became his drug.

The "Ferdinand" referred to above was Gauss' patron, the Duke of
Brunswick.

--
Fred W. Helenius <fr...@ix.netcom.com>

james dolan

Aug 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/19/96

ilias kastanas writes:

-In article <4v27do$q...@charity.ucr.edu>,
-james dolan <jdo...@math.ucr.edu> wrote:
->ilias kastanas writes:
->
->- His dream was first, a precise symbolic language ("characteristica
->- universalis") to express everything in science 'and philosophy' (it is
->- not clear how _wide_ this was to be) and second, a computational method
->- ("calculus ratiocinator") to resolve statements in that language. I
->- don't remember whether he actually envisaged a machine doing the work.
->- I recall the quote that instead of quarrels and squabbles people would
->- say "Calculemus".

->-
->- Limited to mathematics, the dream did come true;

->
->
->
->of course it did _not_ come true. as you well know it was destroyed
->by (among others) goedel.
-
-
-
- It did come true. You are confusing Goedel Incompleteness with
- Goedel Completeness.

no i am not. you are speaking total nonsense.

ilias kastanas 08-14-90

Aug 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/20/96

In article <4vadtn$s...@charity.ucr.edu>,
@
@->
@->-
@-
@-
@-
@- It did come true. You are confusing Goedel Incompleteness with
@- Goedel Completeness.
@
@
@
@no i am not. you are speaking total nonsense.
@

No, just partial nonsense: obviously you cannot confuse what
you don't know.

The dream came true, as you will see if you learn the Completeness
Thm. And if you ever shed your jejune rudeness you might even find someone
to discuss it with.

Ilias

james dolan

Aug 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/20/96

-@
-@->
-@->-
-@-
-@-
-@-
-@- It did come true. You are confusing Goedel Incompleteness with
-@- Goedel Completeness.
-@
-@
-@
-@no i am not. you are speaking total nonsense.
-@
-
-
- No, just partial nonsense: obviously you cannot confuse what
- you don't know.
-
- The dream came true, as you will see if you learn the Completeness
- Thm. And if you ever shed your jejune rudeness you might even find someone
- to discuss it with.

i think it's a much less strained reading of leibniz's words that
leibniz was asking for a decision procedure for deciding the truth of
statements in the language, than whatever it is you're claiming
leibniz meant.

i know that you understand the completeness theorem and the
incompleteness theorem as well as i do, so i can't suggest with a
straight face that it is some misunderstanding of them on your part
that explains why you're continuing to speak total nonsense. perhaps
it is some sort of linguistic difficulty you have that might explain
it.

Stchedroff@profs.iscl1.silon.simis.com Niels Stchedroff

Aug 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/27/96
to was...@tiac.net

>No Title
> Some of My Favorite Quotes. Buddhist Proverb: Everyone is given the
> key to the gates of Heaven; The same key
> opens the gates of Hell. J. W. von Goethe:...
> http://cs.iastate.edu/~honavar/quotes.html
> - size 6K - 26 Jun 96

Sounds like terrible security to me