Note in Infinitesimals document

Han de Bruijn

Jan 27, 2011, 4:23:12 AM1/27/11

http://legacy.lclark.edu/~mreyes/QJS--Rhetoric%20in%20mathematics.pdf

G. Mitchell Reyes, The Rhetoric in Mathematics: Newton, Leibniz, the
Calculus, and the Rhetorical Force of the Infinitesimal. Note [90]:

<quote>
The Bolzmann equation, which describes how a cloud of tiny particles
changes in density as the particles interact and helps to predict the
motion of stars in the galaxy, was considered questionable by scien-
tists because no one knew if it would suddenly go haywire. No one
could prove it was a stable equation. In 1984 Lars Arkeryd used non-
standard analysis to prove the stability of the Bolzmann equation.
</quote>

Searching "Lars Arkeryd", with Google, results in only ONE reference,
indeed, which is the one quoted above. Nowhere in web references about
the Bolzmann equation is the name of Lars Arkeryd mentioned, which is
weird, because it would be an important result, if it were only true.

??

Han de Bruijn

Richard Tobin

Jan 27, 2011, 8:06:38 AM1/27/11
In article <3fb36427-6fee-452c...@x4g2000yql.googlegroups.com>,

Han de Bruijn <umu...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Searching "Lars Arkeryd", with Google, results in only ONE reference,
>indeed, which is the one quoted above. Nowhere in web references about
>the Bolzmann equation is the name of Lars Arkeryd mentioned,

I think your web search skills need improvement.

If you looked at pages about the "Boltzmann" equation, such as the
very first one returned by Google, you would find references to the
name "Leif Arkeryd".

-- Richard

Han de Bruijn

Jan 27, 2011, 8:52:10 AM1/27/11
On Jan 27, 2:06 pm, rich...@cogsci.ed.ac.uk (Richard Tobin) wrote:
> In article <3fb36427-6fee-452c-8536-753f012dd...@x4g2000yql.googlegroups.com>,

> Han de Bruijn  <umum...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >Searching "Lars Arkeryd", with Google, results in only ONE reference,
> >indeed, which is the one quoted above. Nowhere in web references about
> >the Bolzmann equation is the name of Lars Arkeryd mentioned,
>
> I think your web search skills need improvement.
>
> If you looked at pages about the "Boltzmann" equation, such as the
> very first one returned by Google, you would find references to the
> name "Leif Arkeryd".

Please try not to improve my search skills and give me the references.

Han de Bruijn

Richard Tobin

Jan 27, 2011, 8:54:54 AM1/27/11
In article <d0561b25-d9cc-4fb5...@e21g2000yqe.googlegroups.com>,

Han de Bruijn <umu...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Please try not to improve my search skills and give me the references.

No.

-- Richard

Han de Bruijn

Jan 27, 2011, 9:11:40 AM1/27/11
On Jan 27, 2:54 pm, rich...@cogsci.ed.ac.uk (Richard Tobin) wrote:
> In article <d0561b25-d9cc-4fb5-a597-a2bab2a5e...@e21g2000yqe.googlegroups.com>,

> Han de Bruijn  <umum...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >Please try not to improve my search skills and give me the references.
>
> No.

No thanks. <quote>"Leif Arkeryd" Boltzmann</quote> does the trick.
Don't know what went wrong yesterday ..

Han de Bruijn

Han de Bruijn

Jan 27, 2011, 9:15:45 AM1/27/11

Ah! "Lars" instead of "Leif".

Han de Bruijn

Jesse F. Hughes

Jan 27, 2011, 9:27:53 AM1/27/11
ric...@cogsci.ed.ac.uk (Richard Tobin) writes:

That wasn't very friendly.

--
"That's one of the more fascinating things about my research: simple
methods, mostly elementary, succinct and, if I do say so my self,

Math1723

Jan 27, 2011, 10:03:43 AM1/27/11
On Jan 27, 9:27 am, "Jesse F. Hughes" <je...@phiwumbda.org> wrote:

> --
> "That's one of the more fascinating things about my research: simple
> methods, mostly elementary, succinct and, if I do say so my self,
> well-written expositions, but no normal human can follow at all, and
> even the best mathematical minds get lost quickly." -- James S Harris

I have to ask: where do you get this wonderful selection of quotes?
Have you personally saved them yourself over time, or is there a
resource to acquire them? One of the things I look forward to these
posts are these entertaining assortments of crankdom that can just
make me laugh! Thanks for sharing them.

Jesse F. Hughes

Jan 27, 2011, 12:24:10 PM1/27/11
Math1723 <anony...@aol.com> writes:

> On Jan 27, 9:27 am, "Jesse F. Hughes" <je...@phiwumbda.org> wrote:
>>
>> --
>> "That's one of the more fascinating things about my research: simple
>> methods, mostly elementary, succinct and, if I do say so my self,
>> well-written expositions, but no normal human can follow at all, and
>> even the best mathematical minds get lost quickly." -- James S Harris
>
> I have to ask: where do you get this wonderful selection of quotes?
> Have you personally saved them yourself over time, or is there a
> resource to acquire them?

I've saved them over time. I don't save as many these days as I once
did.

> One of the things I look forward to these posts are these entertaining
> assortments of crankdom that can just make me laugh! Thanks for
> sharing them.

You're more than welcome.

--
Jesse F. Hughes
"A gorgeous display of homoerotic lust."

Richard Tobin

Feb 1, 2011, 4:37:29 AM2/1/11
In article <87wrlqs...@phiwumbda.org>,

Jesse F. Hughes <je...@phiwumbda.org> wrote:

>>>Please try not to improve my search skills and give me the references.

>> No.

>That wasn't very friendly.

I point out the spelling errors that caused his problem and he can't
be bothered to type in the corrected version himself?

-- Richard

Jesse F. Hughes

Feb 1, 2011, 8:16:52 AM2/1/11
ric...@cogsci.ed.ac.uk (Richard Tobin) writes:

I've been on the other end of such arguments, when someone claims Google
gives the relevant info. Looking at the search results, I sure couldn't
find it (and I believe they were talking out their asses), but they
wouldn't justify their claims. The resulting conversation was
frustrating and dull.

Now, I'm sure that you had a particular search result in mind, but
common decency suggests that you point it out explicitly. You don't
know whether he gets the same results in the same order, for one thing.

I just don't see much point making the relevant information harder to
reach than it needs to be.

--
Jesse F. Hughes
"If you hadn't noticed, basically every result I have destroys some