Are a matrix and it's transpose similar?

Jason Lee

Aug 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/18/98
Is it true that a square matrix and it's transpose are similar? Assume the
matrix to have complex entries.

Using the rational canonical form, I know this to be true for matrices of
size up to 3x3, but can't seem to find anything about matrices of larger size.

JLee

--
Jason Lee
jl...@math.ucsd.edu

Robin Chapman

Aug 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/18/98
In article <6raho7$71f$1...@news1.ucsd.edu>,
jl...@euclid.ucsd.edu (Jason Lee) wrote:
> Is it true that a square matrix and its transpose are similar? Assume the

> matrix to have complex entries.

Yes. It's true over any field.

> Using the rational canonical form, I know this to be true for matrices of
> size up to 3x3, but can't seem to find anything about matrices of larger size.

Using rational canonical form it reduces to showing that a companion
matrix is similar to its transpose. This reduces to noting that a
companion matrix has the same minimal polynomial as its transpose.

Robin Chapman + "They did not have proper
Room 811, Laver Building - palms at home in Exeter."
University of Exeter, EX4 4QE, UK +
r...@maths.exeter.ac.uk - Peter Carey,
http://www.maths.ex.ac.uk/~rjc/rjc.html + Oscar and Lucinda

Spam...@nil.nil

Aug 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/18/98
In sci.math Robin Chapman <r...@maths.ex.ac.uk> wrote:

> Using rational canonical form it reduces to showing that a companion
> matrix is similar to its transpose. This reduces to noting that a
> companion matrix has the same minimal polynomial as its transpose.

Well, a little more... they have the same elementary divisors (or
invariant factors)

Oscar Lanzi III

Aug 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/18/98
Two matrices are similar if they have the same characteristic
polynomial. Using elementary properties of the transpose, one can
easily prove that transposition has does not change the characteristic
polynomial. Therefore, a matrix and its transpose are always similar.

--OL

Robin Chapman

Aug 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/19/98
In article <35d9b...@news.inch.com>,

No. A COMPANION matrix has only one elementary divisor/invariant factor.

Robin Chapman

Aug 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/19/98
In article <16051-35...@newsd-153.iap.bryant.webtv.net>,

No. Counterexample
(0 0) (0 1)
(0 0) and (0 0).

Norris, Douglas Todd

Aug 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/19/98
Robin Chapman wrote:

> In article <16051-35...@newsd-153.iap.bryant.webtv.net>,
> o...@webtv.net (Oscar Lanzi III) wrote:
> > Two matrices are similar if they have the same characteristic
> > polynomial. Using elementary properties of the transpose, one can
> > easily prove that transposition has does not change the characteristic
> > polynomial. Therefore, a matrix and its transpose are always similar.
>
> No. Counterexample
> (0 0) (0 1)
> (0 0) and (0 0).

Could you explain the part again where your two matrices are
transposes of each other?

Doug

.sig

Harry Dewhurst

Aug 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/19/98
A square matrix is always similar to it's transpose. To see this, just
notice that expanding det(A) by rows is the same as expanding det(At) by
columns.

Robin Chapman wrote:

> In article <16051-35...@newsd-153.iap.bryant.webtv.net>,
> o...@webtv.net (Oscar Lanzi III) wrote:
> > Two matrices are similar if they have the same characteristic
> > polynomial. Using elementary properties of the transpose, one can
> > easily prove that transposition has does not change the characteristic
> > polynomial. Therefore, a matrix and its transpose are always similar.
>
> No. Counterexample
> (0 0) (0 1)
> (0 0) and (0 0).

Robin Chapman

Aug 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/19/98
In article <35DAF5...@euclid.colorado.edu>,
"Norris, Douglas Todd" <norr...@euclid.colorado.edu> wrote:

> --------------2A8655726E91

> Robin Chapman wrote:
> >
> > In article <16051-35...@newsd-153.iap.bryant.webtv.net>,
> > o...@webtv.net (Oscar Lanzi III) wrote:
> > > Two matrices are similar if they have the same characteristic
> > > polynomial. Using elementary properties of the transpose, one can
> > > easily prove that transposition has does not change the characteristic
> > > polynomial. Therefore, a matrix and its transpose are always similar.
> >
> > No. Counterexample
> > (0 0) (0 1)
> > (0 0) and (0 0).
>
> Could you explain the part again where your two matrices are
> transposes of each other?

Is this a lame attempt at sarcasm? Lanzi asserted that two matrices
with the same characteristic polynomial are similar. Here are two matrices,
with the same characteristic polynomial, which are not similar. It should
be obvious to even the dullest mathematician that these matrices are
not transposes of each other.

Robin Chapman

Robin Chapman

Aug 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/19/98
In article <35DB1710...@atl.mediaone.net>,

dewh...@atl.mediaone.net wrote:
> A square matrix is always similar to it's transpose. To see this, just
> notice that expanding det(A) by rows is the same as expanding det(At) by
> columns.

Do you mean "expanding det(A) by columns"? Anyway this is a non sequitur:
two matrices being similar is a stronger property than having equal
determinants. See my first post in this thread for an outline of a proof.

Gerhard Niklasch

Aug 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/19/98
"Norris, Douglas Todd" <norr...@euclid.colorado.edu> writes:

|> Robin Chapman wrote:
|> > No. Counterexample
|> > (0 0) (0 1)
|> > (0 0) and (0 0).
|>
|> Could you explain the part again where your two matrices are
|> transposes of each other?

They aren't. Robin's Counterexample is a Counterexample to the claim
by Oscar Lanzi III in <16051-35...@newsd-153.iap.bryant.webtv.net>
that

The above two have the same characteristic polynomial X^2, but aren't
similar over _any_ field of coordinates (or indeed over any ring in
which 0 is distinct from 1).

Gerhard
--
* Gerhard Niklasch <ni...@mathematik.tu-muenchen.de> * spam totally unwelcome
* http://hasse.mathematik.tu-muenchen.de/~nikl/ ******* all browsers welcome

Edward C. Hook

Aug 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/19/98
In article <35DAF5...@euclid.colorado.edu>,
"Norris, Douglas Todd" <norr...@euclid.colorado.edu> writes:
1>
2> Robin Chapman wrote:
3> >
4> > In article <16051-35...@newsd-153.iap.bryant.webtv.net>,
5> > o...@webtv.net (Oscar Lanzi III) wrote:
6> > > Two matrices are similar if they have the same characteristic
7> > > polynomial. Using elementary properties of the transpose, one can
8> > > easily prove that transposition has does not change the characteristic
9> > > polynomial. Therefore, a matrix and its transpose are always similar.
a> >
b> > No. Counterexample
c> > (0 0) (0 1)
d> > (0 0) and (0 0).
e>
f> Could you explain the part again where your two matrices are
0> transposes of each other?
1>

Obviously, they aren't -- however, Oscar Lanzi III asserted
that matrices having the same characteristic polynomial are
necessarily similar. Robin Chapman's pair of matrices give a
counterexample to _that_ claim.

--
Ed Hook | Copula eam, se non posit
MRJ Technology Solutions, Inc. | acceptera jocularum.

Daniel Kressner

Aug 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/20/98
>Two matrices are similar if they have the same characteristic
>polynomial. Using elementary properties of the transpose, one can
>easily prove that transposition has does not change the characteristic
>polynomial. Therefore, a matrix and its transpose are always similar.

That's not all of the truth. You've only shown that A and A^T have the
same eigenvalues. But the geometrical and algebraical multiples
of the eigenvalues must be equal. For the solution consider
the Jordan Decomposition: A is similar to J with
[ 0 1
J= diag(eigenvalues) + [ 0 1
[ 0 0
[ 0 1 ..
So A^T is similar to J'. With permutation matrices you can move the
ones under the diag above.

So A is similar to A^T.
-----------------------------------
Daniel Kressner
http://www.tu-chemnitz.de/~dkr/

Norris, Douglas Todd

Aug 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/20/98
Robin Chapman wrote:

> In article <35DAF5...@euclid.colorado.edu>,
> "Norris, Douglas Todd" <norr...@euclid.colorado.edu> wrote:
> >
> > --------------2A8655726E91
> >
> > Robin Chapman wrote:

> > > No. Counterexample
> > > (0 0) (0 1)
> > > (0 0) and (0 0).
> >
> > Could you explain the part again where your two matrices are
> > transposes of each other?
>
> Is this a lame attempt at sarcasm? Lanzi asserted that two matrices
> with the same characteristic polynomial are similar. Here are two matrices,
> with the same characteristic polynomial, which are not similar. It should
> be obvious to even the dullest mathematician that these matrices are
> not transposes of each other.

That's my point - you didn't say what you were providing a
counterexample
to.

If you don't prefer "lame sarcasm", perhaps you should be more specific.

Doug

.sig

deathscythe

Aug 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/20/98
Robin wanted to tell that two matrices may have the same characteristic
polynomial even though they are not similar to each other.
And it's true that every complex matrix is similar to its transpose. You may
first prove that it's true for any nilpotent matrix and then investigate the
Jordan form of an arbitrary matrix.

However, i don't know if the same result holds if the entries of the matrix
are from other algebraic structure, e.g., finite fields,....etc.

deathscythe

Aug 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/21/98

Robin Chapman

Aug 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/21/98
In article <35DCCC...@euclid.colorado.edu>,

I'm sorry but I was under the (no doubt naive) impression that on sci.math
I was addressing an intelligent audience.

Brian Stewart

Aug 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/21/98
deathscythe wrote:

> And it's true that every complex matrix is similar to its transpose. You may
> first prove that it's true for any nilpotent matrix and then investigate the
> Jordan form of an arbitrary matrix.
>
> However, i don't know if the same result holds if the entries of the matrix
> are from other algebraic structure, e.g., finite fields,....etc.

The proper canonical form to use for this question is not the Jordan
form but the Rational Canonical Form; every matrix A is similar (over
any field containing its entries) to a direct sum of companion matrices
C(g_1), C(g_2), ..., C(g_s) where each polynomial g_i divides the next
g_{i+1}. There is a standard algorithm to compute the g_i; just use row
and column operations to systematically reduce the matrix A-xI to Smith
normal form, that is to diagonal form, where the diagonal entries are
1,1, .., g_1, g_2, ..., g_s where the g_i divide each other as before.
Given that all this works (see any good book on linear algebra) it is
clear that A and its (sic) transpose A^t are similar since clearly if we
swap row and column operations a reduction of A becomes a reduction of
A^t.

B.

* Dr W B Stewart phone +44 1865 279628 *
* Exeter College fax +44 1865 279630 *
* Oxford *
* OX1 3DP *
* UK home 760629 *

Robin Chapman

Aug 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/21/98
In article <6rj1lk$5a...@hkusuc.hku.hk>,

"deathscythe" <wingdea...@mailexcite.com> wrote:
> Robin wanted to tell that two matrices may have the same characteristic
> polynomial even though they are not similar to each other.
> And it's true that every complex matrix is similar to its transpose. You may
> first prove that it's true for any nilpotent matrix and then investigate the
> Jordan form of an arbitrary matrix.
>
> However, i don't know if the same result holds if the entries of the matrix
> are from other algebraic structure, e.g., finite fields,....etc.

If two matrices over a field F are similar over a larger field (e.g.
if they have rational coefficients and are equivalent over the complexes)
then they are already similar over F. The proof of this is not entirely
trivial, and can be based on e.g., the rational canonical form. But
when one has the rational canonical form one can prove the similarity
of a matrix to its transpose directly.

On the other hand over a general ring a matrix need not be similar
to its transpose. For instance over the integers Z let A be the matrix
(0 1 0)
(0 0 2)
(0 0 0).
There is no matrix B in GL(3, Z) (i.e., with B and B^{-1} having integer
entries) with BAB^{-1} equalling the transpose of A.

Norris, Douglas Todd

Aug 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/21/98
Robin Chapman wrote:

> I'm sorry but I was under the (no doubt naive) impression that on sci.math
> I was addressing an intelligent audience.

That's funny. Maybe if this whole mathematician thing doesn't
work out, you could make it in American sit-coms.

Doug

Douglas Todd Norris (norr...@euclid.colorado.edu) "The Mad Kobold"
Hockey Goaltender Home
Page:http://ucsu.colorado.edu/~norrisdt/goalie.html
"I love California, I practically grew up in Phoenix."
- Vice President Dan Quayle