"World's baffling problem" -- Riemann hypothesis is finally proved :-)

Dan

Jul 26, 2003, 7:21:43 AM7/26/03

Timothy Murphy

Jul 26, 2003, 7:54:07 AM7/26/03
Dan wrote:

> See here :
> http://front.math.ucdavis.edu/math.GM/0307136

I didn't follow this proof,
but my confidence in it fell when I read half-way through
"Because 'infinite' multiplied by zero doesn't equal to zero, therefore" ...

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: t...@birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie

Lee Rudolph

Jul 26, 2003, 8:22:29 AM7/26/03
Timothy Murphy <t...@birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie> writes:

>Dan wrote:
>
>> See here :
>> http://front.math.ucdavis.edu/math.GM/0307136
>
>I didn't follow this proof,
>but my confidence in it fell when I read half-way through
>"Because 'infinite' multiplied by zero doesn't equal to zero, therefore" ...

The GM in math.GM purportedly stands for "General Mathematics"
(see, for instance, the list of categories and moderators
at http://front.math.ucdavis.edu/categories; where, it
will be noted, "The Math Advisory Committee (collectively)"
is listed as moderator for GM--all other categories having
individually and specifically named fallguys^Wmoderators).
An inspection of what is archived there, however, might lead
one to think that GM actually stands for "Genetically Modified".

Lee Rudolph (gracious me!)

Chan-Ho Suh

Jul 26, 2003, 9:25:53 PM7/26/03

You are a very observant fellow. I, on the other hand, had to actually be
told some time ago, by someone involved with the arXiv, that GM = garbage
machine.

Note this is my interpretation of what I was told. I was unable to get my
informer to admit to this equality in explicit terms.

Also, it may be that there is something in the GM category that is not
actually mathematically incorrect. I have no idea, and I don't care to
investigate it further. I did take a look, just now, and noticed

http://front.math.ucdavis.edu/math.GM/0306384

Good heavens! What on earth is neutrosophy? And what's the deal with the
Yin-Yang symbol on the first page of the article above?

Phil Carmody

Jul 27, 2003, 3:15:40 AM7/27/03
On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 18:25:53 -0700, Chan-Ho Suh wrote:
> Also, it may be that there is something in the GM category that is not
> actually mathematically incorrect. I have no idea, and I don't care to
> investigate it further. I did take a look, just now, and noticed
>
> http://front.math.ucdavis.edu/math.GM/0306384
>
> Good heavens! What on earth is neutrosophy? And what's the deal with the
> Yin-Yang symbol on the first page of the article above?

Be careful, you've just insulted
<<<
Authors: Florentin Smarandache

which makes you liable to receive offensive mails from a crank who writes in
very broken English, who will then procede to stalk you using several poorly
forged personalities.

Not just paranoia, I know of several very well respected mathematicians (OK,
one's a physicist, but he also publishes in the field of number theory)
recieved almost identical abusive mail from the same characters at the
same times.

Phil