Google Skupine ne podpirajo več novih objav ali naročnin v storitvi Usenet. Zgodovinsko vsebino si je še vedno mogoče ogledati.

constructible numbers

11 ogledov
Preskoči na prvo neprebrano sporočilo

Kent Holing

neprebran,
31. dec. 2010, 15:08:1231. 12. 10
do
Given an irreducible monic quartic with integer coefficients with splitting field E. Also, asume that the quartic has no classically constructible roots.

Is it an easy way to prove that if alpha is an element in E and constuctible then the degree of alpha (over Q) is less or equal to 2?

Robert Israel

neprebran,
31. dec. 2010, 15:47:2031. 12. 10
do
Kent Holing <K...@statoil.com> writes:

Since alpha is constructible, its minimal polynomial over Q
must have degree a power of 2. In this case alpha is contained in
E, where [E:Q] = 4, so that minimal polynomial is quadratic or
quartic. But if it was quartic, [Q(alpha):Q] = 4, which would imply
Q(alpha) = E, and then the members of E are all constructible.
--
Robert Israel isr...@math.MyUniversitysInitials.ca
Department of Mathematics http://www.math.ubc.ca/~israel

Kent Holing

neprebran,
31. dec. 2010, 18:53:0831. 12. 10
do
Note that [E:Q]is either 12 or 24 since the Galois group of the quartic either A4 or S4.

Kent Holing

neprebran,
1. jan. 2011, 12:30:301. 1. 11
do

The Galois group is either S4 or A4. The A4 case is easy. If there is a quadratic field extension of Q in E, say L, then [L:Q] = 2 and [E:L] = 6. This means that the subgroub H of G fixing L, i.e. H = G(E/L) must be of order 6. But A4 has no subgroup of order 6 so there is no intermediate quadratic field between Q and E. This means that the only constructible elements in E when G = A4 are the rationals.

Anybody, give the details for the case G = S4?

quasi

neprebran,
1. jan. 2011, 13:07:141. 1. 11
do

Then [E:Q] = 24.

Let L = {x in E | x is constructible}. Then L is a subfield of E.

Let r be one of the roots of the given quartic. The degree of r over L
can't be 1 or 2, otherwise r would be constructible, and the degree of
r over L can't be 3, otherwise one of the other roots would have
degree 1 over L (and hence be constructible). Therefore the degree of
r over L is 4, which implies [E:L] is a multiple of 4.

But [L:Q] is a power of 2, and [E:Q] = 24, so [E:L] is a multiple of
3.

But then [E:L] is a multiple of 12, hence [L:Q] = 1 or 2.

quasi

quasi

neprebran,
1. jan. 2011, 13:16:571. 1. 11
do

In fact, the same proof works for the case G = A4.

In that case, [E:Q] = 12, but by the same argument as above, we get
that [E:L] is a multiple of 12, hence [E:L] = 12, so L = Q.

quasi

Kent Holing

neprebran,
2. jan. 2011, 07:49:412. 1. 11
do
May even sorter is the following argment:
By the Galois correspondence and knowledge of the subgroups of S4 we easily see that L is the fixed field of A4, i.e.
G(E/L) = A4 so [E:L] = |A4| = 12, and therefore [E:Q] = 2.

So, L = Q if G = A4 and [E:L] = 2 (the fixed field of A4) if G = S4.

quasi

neprebran,
2. jan. 2011, 10:36:072. 1. 11
do
Kent Holing wrote:
>quasi wrote:
>> Kent Holing wrote:
>May even sorter is the following argment:
>By the Galois correspondence and knowledge of the subgroups
>of S4 we easily see that L is the fixed field of A4,

Shorter? Seems like a lot of your proof is hidden in the above.

Let's see the details. How do you know L is the fixed field of A4?

How does your argument depend on the fact that the polynomial is
quartic? If the polynomial was degree n instead of degree 4, what
aspect of your argument would not apply?

Once you supply the details, assuming your argument actually works at
all for the case n=4, I suspect it will be just as long, if not
longer, and moreover, less elementary.

>i.e.G(E/L) = A4

>so [E:L] = |A4| = 12, and therefore [E:Q] = 2.

In the line above you meant [L:Q] = 2, not [E:Q] = 2.

>So, L = Q if G = A4 and [E:L] = 2 (the fixed field of A4)
>if G = S4.

Above you meant either [E:L] = 12 or [L:Q] = 2 (I'm not sure which you
intended), not [E:L] = 2.

quasi

quasi

neprebran,
2. jan. 2011, 11:10:012. 1. 11
do
Kent Holing wrote:

Ok, this has been proved now.

So keeping n even, let's go past n=4 and ask the same question.

What's the first n, if any, where it breaks?

More precisely ...

Let n be an even positive integer, let f in Q[x] be an irreducible
polynomial of degree n, and let E be the splitting field of f in the
algebraic closure of Q.

Let L = {x in E | x is constructible}.

Questions ...

If for some root r of f, (Q(r) intersect L) = Q,
must [L:Q] = 1 or 2?

If yes, can we improve the conclusion to [L:Q] = 1?

quasi

Kent Holing

neprebran,
2. jan. 2011, 11:21:592. 1. 11
do

Of course I meant [L:Q] = 2 since [E:L] = |A_4| = 12.
Sorry about that.

quasi

neprebran,
2. jan. 2011, 13:01:512. 1. 11
do
On Sun, 02 Jan 2011 11:10:01 -0500, quasi <qu...@null.set> wrote:

>Let n be an even positive integer, let f in Q[x] be an irreducible
>polynomial of degree n, and let E be the splitting field of f in the
>algebraic closure of Q.
>
>Let L = {x in E | x is constructible}.
>
>Questions ...
>
>If for some root r of f, (Q(r) intersect L) = Q,
>must [L:Q] = 1 or 2?
>
>If yes, can we improve the conclusion to [L:Q] = 1?

Might as well include odd n as well.

Ok, so how about this ...

Let f in Q[x] be irreducible of degree n, and let E be the splitting

field of f in the algebraic closure of Q.

Let L = {x in E | x is constructible}.

Prove or disprove:

If either (1) n is odd, or (2) n is even and,

for some root r of f, (Q(r) intersect L) = Q,

then [L:Q] = 1 or 2.

quasi

achille

neprebran,
2. jan. 2011, 23:29:042. 1. 11
do

In general, I think you can't.

For n >= 5, the Galois group of generic polynomial
of degree n is either A_n or S_n depends on whether
sqrt(D) in Q or not (where D is the discriminant).

Since sqrt(D) is constructible, [L:Q] is at least 2
when Gal(E/Q) = S_n.

AP

neprebran,
3. jan. 2011, 09:46:483. 1. 11
do
On Fri, 31 Dec 2010 18:53:08 EST, Kent Holing <K...@statoil.com> wrote:

>Note that [E:Q]is either 12 or 24 since the Galois group of the quartic either A4 or S4.

why not Klein's group ou D_4?
(note : there exist r with degre(r)=4 and r not constructible )

achille

neprebran,
3. jan. 2011, 12:10:493. 1. 11
do

Hmm.. maybe I have make a statement much stronger than
what is true. The corrected version:

For n >= 5, if we pick a random polynomial of degree
n over Q, the Galois group is almost always S_n or
sometimes A_n. A necessary condition for it to be A_n
instead of S_n is sqrt(D) \in Q.

If sqrt(D) \notin Q, [L:Q] is at least 2 because sqrt(D)
\in E and D \in Q. Since one can show that L is a normal
extension of Q with [L:Q] a power of 2. Gal(E/L) is a
normal subgroup of Gal(E/Q) with [Gal(E/Q):Gal(E/L)]
= [L:Q] = a power of 2.

Corollary:
[1] sqrt(D) \notin Q
=> Gal(E/Q) cannot be A_n.
[2] sqrt(D) \notin Q AND Gal(E/Q) is S_n
=> Gal(E/L) is A_n
=> [L:Q] = 2 AND L = Q(sqrt(D)).

0 novih sporočil