Analyses of Mistake on Proof about Perfect Secrecy of One-time-pad

1 view

wangyong

Oct 21, 2007, 9:58:58 PM10/21/07
Analyses of Mistake on Proof about Perfect Secrecy of One-time-pad
Yong WANG
School of Computer and Control, GuiLin University Of Electronic
Technology ,Guilin City, Guangxi Province , China, 541004
hel...@126.com
Abstract: This paper analyzes the proofs that one-time system is
perfectly secure, and confirms that they are wrong. The mistakes lie
in that the conditions of the probabilities are not the same when
using probability theory to compute the probabilities. One example is
shown to undress the mistakes and bring forth the need of compromise
of probabilities.
unbreakable

1. Introduction
Shannon put forward the concept of perfect secrecy and proved that one-
time-pad (OTP) is perfectly secure [1, 2]. For a long time, OPT has
been thought to be unbreakable and is still used to encrypt high
security information. In literature [3], one example was given to
prove that OPT was not perfectly secure. In literature [4], detailed
analysis about the mistakes of Shannon’s proof was given. It was
proven that more conditions were needed for OTP to be perfectly secure
and homophonic substitution enabled OTP to approach perfect
secrecy[5]. Literature [6] analyzed this problem and presented the
approach to disguise the length of plaintext. In literature [7], the
cryptanalysis method based on probability was presented to attack one-
time-pad. All the above studies analyzed Shannon’s proof on the
problem. We know Shannon first proved that OTP was perfectly secure,
but his proof is very simple. Detailed proofs about perfect secrecy of
OTP were given by later scholars who used Shannon’s proof for
reference. This paper aims to analyze these proofs other than
Shannon’s and confirms that they are wrong.
2. Representative Proof about Perfect Secrecy of OTP
There are many proofs about perfect secrecy of OTP. Some proofs
directly draw the conclusion that all plaintexts are equally likely.
But it is obviously wrong, for the prior probabilities of all
plaintexts are seldom equally likely. Others are generally identical
with minor differences. The representative proof is as follows:
Theorem: OTP is perfectly secure.
Proof: Assume that M and C are n bits long.
then
P(M = x|C = y) =
P(M = xΛC = y) = P(M = x ΛK = (x⊕y))
= P(M = x)•P (K = (x⊕y)) (K is independent of M)
= P(M = x) •2-n (K is chosen uniformly from bit strings of length n)
Also, P(C = y) =∑xP(M = xΛC = y)
=∑x P(M = x) •2-n(∑x P(M = x)=1)
= 2-n (that is, each C is equally likely).
So, P(M = x|C = y) = = P(M = x)
3. Mistake Analyses on Proof
Shannon misused Bayes’ formula, similarly the above proof misused
Bayes’ formula. From P(M = x)•P (K = (x⊕y)) = P(M = x) •2-n, we can
see the condition that the ciphertext y is a fixed value is never
considered when computing P(M = xΛC = y). We can get that result by
reductio ad absurdum. Suppose for fixed y, if P (K = (x⊕y))=2-n (that
is used in the proof, but indeed it is wrong. It is used just to get
wrong conclusion), we can get P(M = x|C = y)= 2-n because there is a
one-to-one correspondence between all the plaintexts and keys for the
fixed ciphertext in OTP. But it is obviously wrong, for the prior
probabilities of all plaintexts are seldom equally likely. So P(M =
x)•P (K = (x⊕y)) stand for the joint probability of x and y when y is
not fixed. But Shannon thought of the posterior probability as the
probability of plaintext when ciphertext had been intercepted, we can
see that there is a presupposition in P(M = x|C = y) that y is fixed,
but in P(M = x), P (K = (x⊕y)) and P(C=y), y is not fixed, otherwise
we can get obviously wrong results. In such way, the Bayes’s formula
was misused for the probability was not on the same presupposition and
the equation does not come into existence.
In OTP there are complex and crytic conditions that influence the
probability of plaintext, key and ciphertext, so it is essential to
cognize all the conditions and carefully use probability theory. The
proof did not realize the crytic condition that ciphertext was a fixed
value (even though unknown) rather than a random variable.
4. Example Analyses on the Change of Probability
In order to make the mistakes recognized more distinctly, the
following example is given to show that OTP is not perfectly secure.
The plaintext space is M = (0, 1), according to the prior condition
that is generally the correspondence context, it is known beforehand
that the prior probability of plaintext being 0 is 0.9, while the
prior probability of plaintext being 1 is 0.1. The ciphertext space is
C = (0, 1) and the key space is K = (0, 1), with the keys being
equally likely. The cryptoalgorithm is OTP. Later the information is
obtained that the ciphertext is 0. When only the later information is
considered (regardless of the prior probability of plaintext), for the
fixed ciphertext, there is a one-to-one correspondence between all the
plaintexts and keys, so it can be concluded that the plaintexts are
equally likely, that is, the probability of plaintext being 1 is 0.5.
As the probability obtained above isn’t consistent with the prior
probability, compromise is needed. The compromised posterior
probability of the plaintext would be between the two corresponding
probabilities of the two conditions. The compromised posterior
probability of the plaintext is not equal to the prior probability, so
OTP is not perfectly secure.
According to the mapping of M, K and C, the probabilities of M, K and
C are complicatedly interactional. In the above example, the
probability of plaintext changes when the ciphertext is fixed, even
though the ciphertext is unknown.
When only considering the fixed ciphertext and the equiprobability of
the key, we can see that all the plaintexts are equally likely for
there is a one-to-one correspondence between all the plaintexts and
keys for the fixed ciphertext. There is conflict between the prior
probability and the uniformly distributed probability gained above.
In order to make clear the inconsistency of probability in the example
and the need for fusion of the probability in this case, we can adopt
the combinations of different conditions for the following deduction
to analyze the existence of probability conflict.
For the above simple example about OTP, when considering the condition
that the ciphertext is 0, it can be easily concluded that the
probability of ciphertext being 0 is 1, and the probability of
ciphertext being 1 is 0. But according to the prior probability
distribution of plaintexts given and uniformly distributed keys, we
can easily find that the ciphertext is uniformly distributed, that is
to say, all ciphertext are equally likely. We can see the two
probability distributions of ciphertext in different conditions are
conflictive.
When only considering that the intercepted ciphertext is 0 and the
prior probability of plaintext is 0, we call P(M=0) is 0.9, and P(M=1)
is 0.1, the probability of the key being 0 we call P(K=0) is 0.9, and
P(K=1) is 0.1 because there is a one-to-one correspondence between the
plaintext and the key. However, according to the requirement of OTP,
the key is equiprobable, so conflict of the probabilities occurs as
before.
Such conflicts show that on different conditions we may draw
inconsistent probabilities, so it need fuse and compromise. The
probabilities obtained from different combinations of unilateral
conditions are inconsistent. Just like four irregular feet of a table,
there is always one foot that is turnup when the table is on the
horizontal ground. In literature [7], a formula was presented to fuse
the inconsistent probabilities.
5. Conclusion
The paper further confirms that there is a mistake in the proof about
perfect secrecy of OTP. From the above analyses, we can find that OTP
is not perfectly secure. In despite of that, it has good cryptographic
property. We can take measures to improve its security. The mistakes
may result from the limitations of information theory and probability
theory, which ignore the random uncertainty of probability and always
take probability as a fixed value, but not random variable [8, 9].
Reference
[1]. Bruce Schneier, Applied Cryptography Second Edition: protocols,
algorithms, and source code in C[M], John Wiley &Sons, Inc, 1996.
[2]. C. E. Shannon, Communication Theory of Secrecy Systems[J], Bell
System Technical journal, v.28, n. 4, 1949, 656-715.
[3]. Yong WANG, Security of One-time System and New Secure System
[J],Netinfo Security, 2004, (7):41-43
[4]. Yong WANG, Fanglai ZHU, Reconsideration of Perfect Secrecy,
Computer Engineering, 2007, 33(19)
[5]. Yong WANG, Perfect Secrecy and Its Implement [J],Network &
Computer Security,2005(05)
[6]. Yong WANG, Fanglai ZHU, Security Analysis of One-time System and
Its Betterment, Journal of Sichuan University (Engineering Science
Edition), 2007, supp. 39(5):222-225
[7]. Yong WANG, Shengyuan Zhou, On Probability Attack, Information
Security and Communications Privacy, 2007,(8):39-40
[8]. Yong WANG, On the Perversion of information’s Definition,
presented at First National Conference on Social Information Science
in 2007, Wuhan, China, 2007.
[9]. Yong WANG, On Relativity of Probability, www.paper.edu.cn, Aug,
27, 2007.

wangyong

Oct 21, 2007, 10:00:02 PM10/21/07
On Oct 22, 9:58 am, wangyong <hell...@126.com> wrote:
> Analyses of Mistake on Proof about Perfect Secrecy of One-time-pad
> Yong WANG
> School of Computer and Control, GuiLin University Of Electronic
> Technology ,Guilin City, Guangxi Province , China, 541004
> hell...@126.com

The papers can be found at http://www.arxiv.org.
1.http://arxiv.org/abs/0709.4420
Title: Confirmation of Shannon's Mistake about Perfect Secrecy of One-
time-pad
2. http://arxiv.org/abs/0709.4303
3. http://arxiv.org/abs/0709.3334
Title: Mistake Analyses on Proof about Perfect Secrecy of One-time-
pad
4.http://arxiv.org/abs/0708.3127
Title: Question on Conditional Entropy