Grupos de Google ya no admite nuevas publicaciones ni suscripciones de Usenet. El contenido anterior sigue siendo visible.

pq - (p+q) is prime

Visto 0 veces
Saltar al primer mensaje no leído

Thudan...@googlemail.com

no leída,
7 dic 2007, 1:15:517/12/07
Prove that for every prime p there exists a prime q such that pq - (p
+q) is also prime.

quasi

no leída,
7 dic 2007, 1:37:377/12/07
On Thu, 6 Dec 2007 22:15:51 -0800 (PST), Thudan...@googlemail.com
wrote:

>Prove that for every prime p there exists a prime q such that pq - (p
>+q) is also prime.

Well, p is the larger prime of a pair of twin primes, use q = 2.

Of course, that hardly makes any progress.

The claim is almost certainly true, but I don't think you will be able
to prove it.

Where did you get the problem from?

quasi

Thudan...@googlemail.com

no leída,
7 dic 2007, 1:41:137/12/07
On Dec 7, 6:37 am, quasi <qu...@null.set> wrote:

> On Thu, 6 Dec 2007 22:15:51 -0800 (PST), ThudanBlun...@googlemail.com
> wrote:

> Where did you get the problem from?

Another forum.

quasi

no leída,
7 dic 2007, 1:46:147/12/07
On Thu, 6 Dec 2007 22:41:13 -0800 (PST), Thudan...@googlemail.com
wrote:

Forget it -- the problem is out of range.

quasi

galathaea

no leída,
7 dic 2007, 1:52:367/12/07
On Dec 6, 10:46 pm, quasi <qu...@null.set> wrote:
> On Thu, 6 Dec 2007 22:41:13 -0800 (PST), ThudanBlun...@googlemail.com

> wrote:
>
> >On Dec 7, 6:37 am, quasi <qu...@null.set> wrote:
> >> On Thu, 6 Dec 2007 22:15:51 -0800 (PST), ThudanBlun...@googlemail.com
> >> wrote:
>
> >> Where did you get the problem from?
>
> >Another forum.
>
> Forget it -- the problem is out of range.

it seems to scream out for dirichlet's theorem
but i can't get it work

galathaea: prankster, fablist, magician, liar

quasi

no leída,
7 dic 2007, 2:15:187/12/07
On Thu, 6 Dec 2007 22:52:36 -0800 (PST), galathaea
<gala...@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Dec 6, 10:46 pm, quasi <qu...@null.set> wrote:
>> On Thu, 6 Dec 2007 22:41:13 -0800 (PST), ThudanBlun...@googlemail.com
>> wrote:

>> >Another forum.
>>
>> Forget it -- the problem is out of range.
>
>it seems to scream out for dirichlet's theorem
> but i can't get it work

If q wasn't required to be prime, Dirichlet's theorem would clinch it
instantly.

It needs a kind of "double-Dirichlet" theorem.

The truth of the following conjecture would suffice:

If a,b are coprime positive integers, not both odd, there are
infinitely many primes q such that a*q + b is also prime.

quasi

quasi

no leída,
7 dic 2007, 2:20:217/12/07

Note -- using a = 1, b =2, the above conjecture reduces to the Twin
Prime Conjecture.

quasi

philippe

no leída,
7 dic 2007, 2:23:357/12/07

"quasi" <qu...@null.set> a écrit dans le message de

It's equivalent to say that {phi(p,q)+1} is prime but ....

philippe

no leída,
7 dic 2007, 2:35:047/12/07

"quasi" <qu...@null.set> a écrit dans le message de

Without making mistake it's equivalent to say that
phi(p*q)-1 is prime!

But, ...

quasi

no leída,
7 dic 2007, 9:31:097/12/07
On Fri, 07 Dec 2007 02:20:21 -0500, quasi <qu...@null.set> wrote:

>On Fri, 07 Dec 2007 02:15:18 -0500, quasi <qu...@null.set> wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 6 Dec 2007 22:52:36 -0800 (PST), galathaea
>><gala...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>>it seems to scream out for dirichlet's theorem
>>> but i can't get it work
>>
>>If q wasn't required to be prime, Dirichlet's theorem would clinch it
>>instantly.
>>
>>It needs a kind of "double-Dirichlet" theorem.

For contrast, let's make 2 versions. The first one is weaker, but if
it's true, it's still strong enough to instantly prove the OP's claim.

Conjecture (1):

If a,b are coprime positive integers, not both odd, there is
at least one prime q such that a*q + b is also prime.

Conjecture (2):

If a,b are coprime positive integers, not both odd, there are
infinitely many primes q such that a*q + b is also prime.

Remarks:

As noted in my prior reply, the truth of Conjecture (2) would already
imply the Twin Prime Conjecture. Just use a = 1, b = 2.

quasi

philippe

no leída,
10 dic 2007, 12:52:1110/12/07

<Thudan...@googlemail.com> a écrit dans le message de

Can you post some link related to the original forum?

BR

fjm...@gmail.com

no leída,
10 dic 2007, 13:25:3210/12/07
On 7 Dec, 06:15, ThudanBlun...@googlemail.com wrote:
> Prove that for every prime p there exists a prime q such that pq - (p
> +q) is also prime.

p=2, q=3 your formula gives 1, which is not usually treated as a
prime. p=2, q=2 gives 0 (worse surely)

p=2, q=11 appears to give 9 (unless my sums are wrong) which is even
less of a prime than 1 or 0.

Francis

Denis Feldmann

no leída,
10 dic 2007, 14:20:3610/12/07
fjm...@gmail.com a écrit :

I think the OP knew all this. You, on the other hand, seem not very
familiar with the meaning of "for every x, there exists y such..."

> Francis

Robert Israel

no leída,
10 dic 2007, 14:34:1910/12/07
"fjm...@gmail.com" <fjm...@gmail.com> writes:

Did you miss the "there exists"?
--
Robert Israel isr...@math.MyUniversitysInitials.ca
Department of Mathematics http://www.math.ubc.ca/~israel

ThudanBlunder

no leída,
8 ene 2008, 18:34:388/1/08
> Can you post some link related to the original forum?
>
> BR

Here you are:
http://tinyurl.com/24q8xr

0 mensajes nuevos