A math problem I made. Try to solve it! :-)

Gregory Magarshak

Nov 9, 2004, 2:19:08 PM11/9/04
Hey, guys. I came up with this one 2 years ago, and I think it's kind
of interesting, because at first you are not sure where the information
to solve it actually comes from! And even when you find it out, there
are increasing levels of reference and self-reference. Well, you'll
see...

visit
www.intermagix.com/MathProblem1.htm

Tell me what you think!

-Greg Magarshak

Arturo Magidin

Nov 9, 2004, 2:21:54 PM11/9/04
In article <3f46af44.04110...@posting.google.com>,

These are problems of a well-known type. What you probably heard in
class that got you thinking was a problem just like this. The books of
Raymond Smullyan contain numerous examples of similar kinds of
problems (usually around truth-tellers and liars and variations
thereof); the census-taker problem is also of a similar nature, so you
will find a lot of examples in the works of Martin Gardner.

"It's not denial. I'm just very selective about
what I accept as reality."
--- Calvin ("Calvin and Hobbes")

Arturo Magidin
mag...@math.berkeley.edu

Stan Brown

Nov 10, 2004, 3:15:02 PM11/10/04
"Gregory Magarshak" <conta...@hotmail.com> wrote in sci.math:

>Hey, guys. I came up with this one 2 years ago

How many times to you plan to post this?

(Hint: Once is enough.)

http://OakRoadSystems.com/
"And if you're afraid of butter, which many people are nowa-
days, (long pause) you just put in cream." --Julia Child